Koeman tactics

Coxford_lou

Haven't seen much in depth conversation on the new style Koeman will bring to Saints (apologies if there's a thread and I missed it). Does anyone have any good insights, or found any websites with good analysis? I think I saw referenced that he will bring 4-3-3 to the club, and his influence on the current Dutch team, but not much more than that...

I reckon it will be 433.

Wanyama doing what he did last season and sitting in between the CB's to allow the full backs to push on

I think the main difference is that RoKo likes to have at least 1 wide player to stretch the front line, I think

We don't have 3 CB's...the more CB's which play, the closer Hooiveld is to the team.

I think if we do end up selling Lovren, we'll sign at least 2 CB's to replace him. Fonte, Yoshida, Hooiveld + 2 new signings should be enough to play 3 at the back - and the likes of Chambers and Wanyama could fill in there too.

Still think we'll end up playing a version of 4-3-3 though, although guess we don't have to wait too long to see how we line up in our pre-season friendlies..

Sort of hoping he'll play 3 at the back, seeing as our best players are all midfielders!

"3 at the back" requires fewer midfielder and more defenders than Pochettino's system.

4-2-3-1 = 4 defenders and 5 midfielders (3 of which are attacking)

3-5-2/5-3-2 = 5 defenders and 3 midfielders (as the wing backs are defenders - Clyne, Chambers, Targett etc)

Edited by Matthew Le God

I reckon it will be 433.

Wanyama doing what he did last season and sitting in between the CB's to allow the full backs to push on

I think the main difference is that RoKo likes to have at least 1 wide player to stretch the front line, I think

I hope so having been brought up on Paine and Sydenham I do like wide players creating chances for a good CF like Pelle

Lets see what happens on Tuesday in the Friendly when we wont have any width I suppose

I'd like him to keep quiet on this particular issue and surprise everyone a bit.

Telling the rest of the Prem. clubs what tactics you're going to employ next season sounds like sitting down to a poker game and showing your opponents what cards you're holding..:blush:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Koeman should be doing an announcement on it!

Fair question on what changes we'll see to our set up and approach to games.

Any chance he'll ry and use Wanyama to drop back in with the two centre backs to create the 3 at the back?

It probably goes without saying that the expection will be that any left back we sign will have a fairly attacking edge to his game.

I'd like him to keep quiet on this particular issue and surprise everyone a bit.

Telling the rest of the Prem. clubs what tactics you're going to employ next season sounds like sitting down to a poker game and showing your opponents what cards you're holding..:blush:

Our early season opponents will have scouts at our pre-season games, it won't be kept a secret how we are planning to play.

Our early season opponents will have scouts at our pre-season games, it won't be kept a secret how we are planning to play.

What's the seasons view on announcing injuries MLG? I remember you loved Adkins stance of not revealing who was injured or not so the opposition wouldn't know who to prepare for. Although when MP was a bit more open about injuries that was a great tactic too as it meant we the opposition would be worrying about us not visa versa. What's you're though of what Ronald will do?

Do you honestly think Koeman will play exactly how he plans to in pre-season? When was the last Manager we had that did this? I can't remember. Games will be used for fitness and to test a few things but all of the work on how the team will play is done behind closed doors.

Do you honestly think Koeman will play exactly how he plans to in pre-season? When was the last Manager we had that did this? I can't remember. Games will be used for fitness and to test a few things but all of the work on how the team will play is done behind closed doors.
No it won't of course Koeman will try and get the team used to playing how he wants, especially in the later games, Brighton & Leverkusen.

I dunno about RK's tactics, but I will be staying with nuns for emergencies and weather reports for the first half. In extreme emergencies I will be posting the girl putting her jeans on .GIF

I'm a big fan of extreme emergencies.

i think it will be more of a 21521 playing 3 box-box midfielders and 2 attacking midfielder/wingers behind the striker. So when defending we defend with 8 when attacking we attack with 8.

-------gk----

----cb----cb--

-------dm-----

wb-------------wb

----cm--cm--cm--

----am-------am--

--------st------

i think it will be more of a 21421 playing 3 box-box midfielders and 2 attacking midfielder/wingers behind the striker. So when defending we defend with 7 when attacking we attack with 7.

-------gk----

----cb----cb--

-------dm-----

wb-------------wb

----cm----cm--

----am-------am--

--------st------

i think it will be more of a 21521 playing 3 box-box midfielders and 2 attacking midfielder/wingers behind the striker. So when defending we defend with 8 when attacking we attack with 8.

-------gk----

----cb----cb--

-------dm-----

wb-------------wb

----cm--cm--cm--

----am-------am--

--------st------

Lol the first part of your user name suits this post

once again, this is down to " the other players" - we haven't bought yet?

Ever since RK was mooted for the job, the names of Tadic and Pelle came up and now they're onboard, who else amongst the other 15 names (or others we don't yet know)... will be on the books by then?

If he isn't that type of manager fixed to a certain formation, then he'll style it around those players we have still have to sign.

To simply say that we have " replaced " Lambert and Lallana isn't really the case. Jay Rod isn't back training yet, and to expect him to comeback with anywhere near his last season 's form is a big ask .

We need another strike .....(don't laugh - but we still have mayuka and Sharp on the books ), personally I still think we should have another young-ish striker... Redmond?...Ings ?...Wickham ?

There is no recognised LB in the club (and I don't feel happy with Clyne there either, he's right-footed).

The CB position is most difficult. Jos is 31, Fonte nearing 30. Yoshida was out of favour with MP, and all the Academy prospects in this role are totally untried.

Until theses questions are resolved I think even RK won't be certain what/who he's going to play as first-choice. (....not to mention we are totally reliant on a fit Boruc as a Prem. class keeper).

Edited by david in sweden

If you were analysing how the team did last year, which Koeman and his coaches must have done, you would have to look at relative GD and goals scored. We came 8th because the team did better than all those below them, no team finishing below Saints had a positive GD last season but ours doesn't compare too well with the clubs above, except for Tottenham. You could conclude that although we did very well on possession, we did less well on making and converting chances if you compare to the teams that were competing for European places. I have no idea how Koeman will go about it, but I do think he will put more emphasis on creating goal scoring chances even if it means occasionally losing out on possession. If so, is our defence good enough to handle the extra pressure and could that be where he needs to buy?

Why would we want Kuyt as a wing back when arguably that is our strongest position with Clyne and Chambers.

He played on both sides in the World Cup - he had the pleasure of being in the sun for both halves of the Netherlands v Mexico water break match where most of the crowd on that side were hiding in the shade.

I thought Yoshida looked pretty solid when he was in the team during the second half of the season.

I don't think he's looked remotely solid at any point whilst playing for anyone since the Olympics, and he was utterly dire in the World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought interesting in the Ward-Prowse interview how he said "under the new regime our training is more short sharp work and we feel more fresh going into games which is positive for us"

Not sure the potential implications of that yet, but I'm wondering if Koeman's style is going to be less squad intensive than Pochettino's.

I don't think he's looked remotely solid at any point whilst playing for anyone since the Olympics, and he was utterly dire in the World Cup.

Hardly got any regular game time last season. I think if he was played regularly he'd get a lot better still rather have a different CB to play with Jos though