Jose Fonte (Cardiff fan)

King Cornelius

Unless we have two TOP defensive targets lined up, both of which we actually do sign we would be foolish to allow Fonte to leave. Lovren's position is uncertain, and selling Fonte would leave us with a positionally poor Yoshida and the Own Goal king Hooiveld.

Sorry Cardiff, but i can't see it happening. (Although I personally think £4million sounds about right.)

I long for someone talking about football mentioning a transfer fee without some muppet coming along within a minute saying 'but x was sold for £y!!!'.

I'd be very surprised if fonte would go to Cardiff or if we'd sell him. All those years of effort to get to the premier league, then he proves himself capable of that level, only to give it up? No. If we're daft enough to sell him there'd be premier league clubs who'd take him.

Oh hey babe, what a pleasant suprise, hows things?

Why? We sold Lambert for that

I would suspect that the Lambert (disclosed) and Lallana (undisclosed) fees probably were connected (hence why negotiations with Boremouth rather than a straight 25%) so it might not be best to take RL's fee at face value.

£4million plus marshall and you may have a deal..

Wouldn't even take that. What would it leave us with?

Yoshida and Jos. Enough to make you **** your pants at the thought of it.

Buy 2x better CB's in the De Vrij mould, and then we can conciser selling our current CB's.

Wouldn't even take that. What would it leave us with?

Yoshida and Jos. Enough to make you **** your pants at the thought of it.

Buy 2x better CB's in the De Vrij mould, and then we can conciser selling our current CB's.

If you wouldn't take £10m for Fonte you are mental. He's 30 years old and not even that good. Looked a lot better last season with Lovren in the team but was poor the year before. Made as many bad mistakes as Jos, just not the blatantly obvious own goals.

Personally I think Fonte plus £4m for Marshall would be a decent enough deal. If we can get a decent partner for Lovren with some of the Shaw money, that's a pretty solid defence.

If you wouldn't take £10m for Fonte you are mental. He's 30 years old and not even that good. Looked a lot better last season with Lovren in the team but was poor the year before. Made as many bad mistakes as Jos, just not the blatantly obvious own goals.

Personally I think Fonte plus £4m for Marshall would be a decent enough deal. If we can get a decent partner for Lovren with some of the Shaw money, that's a pretty solid defence.

£4m would be fair money for him, it's just it'd mean we'd need 2 possibly 3 centre backs so wouldn't be particularly sensible.

Until we have replacements, then you do not sell Fonte. Fact.

Still not quite feeling the ''poor the year before''. He wasn't bad, he was a regular and grew into the side as the season went on. He struggled with the pace of it all as did everyone else at the start, but he learned, got better and stronger. He's now a fully tried and tested PL defender, and with or without Lovren he's a damn fine player.

We're just setting yourselves up for another Makin - Bennett style combo on the opening day.

If Fonte is even remotely comparable with Jos then we'd have struggled last year. He's simply a better footballer, let alone a (far) better defender. And frankly, I thought his performances during our first year (and his *first* year in such a competition) back were largely stable.

Until we have replacements, then you do not sell Fonte. Fact.

Still not quite feeling the ''poor the year before''. He wasn't bad, he was a regular and grew into the side as the season went on. He struggled with the pace of it all as did everyone else at the start, but he learned, got better and stronger. He's now a fully tried and tested PL defender, and with or without Lovren he's a damn fine player.

We're just setting yourselves up for another Makin - Bennett style combo on the opening day.

If this board and manager wants to find a decent centre half they will. In fact they may well have another target lined up already. We only ended up with Makin and Bennett because Burley had no interest in signing defenders due to his central midfielder fetish.

I guess everyone has different memories of our first season but Fonte had some absolute howlers, like gifting Wigan a goal in our first home game back in the Prem or his absolute nightmare display away at West Ham.

Don't get me wrong, he looked very solid last year along side Lovren. However it does remind me of summer 2004 a bit, when everyone was happy with how solid Claus looked along side killer. Then when Killer got injured he was hopeless. I'm not saying that will definitely happen again but £4m is a decent price for Fonte.

Now emerging that we (Cardiff) have put an improved offer of 4m in for Fonte. Considering he only has one year left do you think you would sell?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-transfer-news-southampton-7421892

Can't see this happening at all. We wouldn't sell for £4m and he's a way better than the Championship. New contract for him within a few weeks I reckon.

The cost of a player inevitably includes the factor of how much he wants to go.

Fonte has shown no signs of wanting to go to Cardiff.

Erm it says in the thread title that he's a Cardiff fan. It's his spiritual home.

Disagree. We didn't sell Lambert for a knock down fee, despite what some on here think.

I didn't say that. The fact he wanted to go was a factor in his price though.

Along with many others. Age, length of contract left, contribution to the team, potential contribution to the buying team, etc etc.

Considered together means £4m is reasonable for Rickie but not Fonte

I would never put selling one of our important players past this board (hehe), so anything is possible, but Jose is regularly playing in the Prem so can't see why he'd take a hit in wages and in standard of league.

If we somehow manage to pull off the signings of both the Dutch CBs then maybe?

The fact that Cardiff have come back with an improved offer could mean they were encouraged to by the club or agent. After the first offer it would of gone either not for sale or not for sale at that price.

I really hope we don't sell him even if we do buy 1 or 2 CB, it would be madness to let him go as well especially to a club in the championship.

More on the same:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-transfer-news-southampton-7421892

"Sources in Hampshire suggest Fonte is unhappy that he has not been offered a new deal and would not be against a move to ambitious Cardiff City."

Sources.... sourced from their collective arses maybe. So he's not against leaving a Premier League club to play for one with ambition of REACHING the PL. Sounds reasonable.

More on the same:

"Sources in Hampshire suggest Fonte is unhappy that he has not been offered a new deal and would not be against a move to ambitious Cardiff City."

Sources.... sourced from their collective arses maybe. So he's not against leaving a Premier League club to play for one with ambition of REACHING the PL. Sounds reasonable.

He left a championship club and joined a league 1 club

They might offer him the armband and a 4 year deal on maybe even more money than he is on now

Now emerging that we (Cardiff) have put an improved offer of 4m in for Fonte. Considering he only has one year left do you think you would sell?

....of course Koeman hasn't seen Fonte in action yet, in order to make a good assessment. Although Jose has a year left on his present contract, he's certainly got a good few years left in him as a class CB.

If Koeman has another player to replace him, then he may let him go, but JF has just had a good season and I wouldn't expect to see him go - just yet ..and certainly not for a paltry £4 million.

Disagree. We didn't sell Lambert for a knock down fee, despite what some on here think.

Agreed.....although the fee was ..." £4 million....PLUS add-ons."...no-one has come out and stated what the " adds-on " amount to ....?

(one of the first stories that emerged on the Lambert deal stated that the fee was .." between £8-10 million ", this was subsequently " reduced " to £4 million.....

if there are to be hefty payments for each appearance... or on goal tally - that could make a very big difference in the next two years)

Agreed.....although the fee was ..." £4 million....PLUS add-ons."...no-one has come out and stated what the " adds-on " amount to ....?

(one of the first stories that emerged on the Lambert deal stated that the fee was .." between £8-10 million ", this was subsequently " reduced " to £4 million.....

if there are to be hefty payments for each appearance... or on goal tally - that could make a very big difference in the next two years)

I rather suspect he won't get much of either in Scouseland.