Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

I'm not sure Gaston Ramirez will be back at St Mary's as I expect he will be agitating for a move back to Italy - a bit like Osvaldo.

And it's a bit too early to be. Punting od Rodriguez - even if he does stay until January.

I also have a feeling we won't be seeing Morgan or Lovren in a Saints shirt again - for pretty much the same reasons - both of them will force through transfers to bigger clubs .

Our starting 11 looks pretty weak right now:

Tadic. Pelle/Gallagher. Isgrove/McQueen

Davis/Reed Wanyama. Cork/Ward-Prowse.

Targett. Hooiveld/Yoshida. Fonte. Clyne/Chambers

Boruc/Davis

We need to bring another 2 if not 3 players this week - and another 2 or 3 the week after if we are going to have a good start this season - and I think we are going to need one.

We need at least 1 more left back, another striker with pace and at least one more winger attacking midfielder.

You didn't mention Morgan who will be back soon and if Lovren is still here in August he is sure to play.

Give Yoshida a few games to get match sharp and he proves himself better than Hooiveld time and time again.

He is better than Jos but centre back a massive worry at the moment. We need two new ones who are both better than the three we have. Bet we only get one and after two poor seasons Hooiveld will appear in the PL again, with the same outcome.

Such an important position. Even if he only plays a handful of games, it has an impact. We got something like one league point from the the four games he started last season.

Starting XI looked comfortable and for much of the first half totally dominated. Final ball was a little lacking at times and I felt that Pelle would have been better off with someone along side him. FWIW Pelle looks a decent player, very much in the Lambert mould but has the mobility to get into the box after laying off/playing the ball out wide.

Fonte and Jos looked far more at ease than Maya. Whether that was because Swindon were attacking more in the latter stages or his communication with the young lad in the middle just isn't there at the moment. If Lovren is off, then two CB are a necessity (but we all knew that!).

Playing with a lot of width, lots of crosses but McQueen seemed a little hesitant at times. Isgrove played well on the left as did Targett. Obviously bigger tests to come but I have no worries about him stepping up this season. Reed looks like a quality little player though, his role tonight seemed to be just break things up and to move the ball along, keep it flowing etc...the more experienced players shone out as you would expect especially Cork who has to be offered a long term deal soon!

Finally a quick word about Sharp who looked very lively when he came on. I would imagine that another striker is on the shopping list but it would be interesting to see if he gets a few opportunities this season. Great support too, must have been 1000 or so tonight which is great to see

The fact that some on here are already hanging their hat on Sharp having some sort of role at the club in the forthcoming season is a real concern.

The fact that some on here are already hanging their hat on Sharp having some sort of role at the club in the forthcoming season is a real concern.

I haven't seen anyone hanging their hat on it, merely expressing the fact that if, and it is a huge if, he were to improve then there may be a role for him.

I think it's unlikely, but there's nothing wrong with the sentiment... it would be a bonus.

We've only got one senior striker unless I'm missing someone? Just Pelle, who we don't even know if he is actually any good? I imagine he is though. But other then him we've got Gallagher, young okay for a 3rd choice, then we got sharpe and Mayuka and Osvaldo whose AWOL.

We need to bring in so many players, it's starting to feel a bit dodgy now.

I haven't seen anyone hanging their hat on it, merely expressing the fact that if, and it is a huge if, he were to improve then there may be a role for him.

I think it's unlikely, but there's nothing wrong with the sentiment... it would be a bonus.

The premiership trap door does not hang around waiting for players to possibly improve Minty. And it has little time for sentiment.

The premiership trap door does not hang around waiting for players to possibly improve Minty. And it has little time for sentiment.

This is not about sentiment or the 'premiership trap door'. This was the simple statement that if a player can improve sufficiently to make a worthwhile contribution to the team, then we would all be happy about that, would we not?

You don't think he will, and actually, my gut says the same. But if we were proved wrong, that would be a good thing, no?

I'm not sure Gaston Ramirez will be back at St Mary's as I expect he will be agitating for a move back to Italy - a bit like Osvaldo.

And it's a bit too early to be. Punting od Rodriguez - even if he does stay until January.

I also have a feeling we won't be seeing Morgan or Lovren in a Saints shirt again - for pretty much the same reasons - both of them will force through transfers to bigger clubs .

Our starting 11 looks pretty weak right now:

Tadic. Pelle/Gallagher. Isgrove/McQueen

Davis/Reed Wanyama. Cork/Ward-Prowse.

Targett. Hooiveld/Yoshida. Fonte. Clyne/Chambers

Boruc/Davis

We need to bring another 2 if not 3 players this week - and another 2 or 3 the week after if we are going to have a good start this season - and I think we are going to need one.

We need at least 1 more left back, another striker with pace and at least one more winger attacking midfielder.

Worth remembering, NA achieved 14th with squad of

Boruc/Davies

Clyne / Richardson

Fonte/ Jos/ Yoshida

Fox / Shaw (just turned 17)

Cork/Morgan/ Davis / Ramirez / Lallana (3 goals in 26) puncheon

Guly / Lambert / JayRod

Was the Shaw of two years ago much better than Targett?

How does Tadic compare with Lallana of two years ago?

Add JWP, Reed, Gallagher, Mayuka

Will new management team be an improvement?

There will be more signings but I don't think we are starting from relegation certainties

This is not about sentiment or the 'premiership trap door'. This was the simple statement that if a player can improve sufficiently to make a worthwhile contribution to the team, then we would all be happy about that, would we not?

You don't think he will, and actually, my gut says the same. But if we were proved wrong, that would be a good thing, no?

We need to sign another striker. Then I'd keep Sharp as backup until Rodriguez is fit again. Mayauka should be shipped out, his touch is so heavy and his shooting poor.

Mayuka is far from a great player, but I personally think he has more adaptable attributes to be a threat than Sharp does - even if it is just raw pace.

Sharp is a poacher, but his all round game is lacking, and his movement restricted. Didn't even make Doncaster's first XI team in their relegation decider FFS - we shouldn't really, as a PL club that came 8th last season, even be debating him.

Bit anxious about getting tickets for Brighton TBH - really would love to go but we took 1200 last night and I'm sure the Brighton box office told me there were only going to be 800 odd tickets
We had 900 there last night. You'll get a ticket for Brighton if you want one.

Hmmmmm....was my over-riding thought from last night

I appreciate that it was an early pre-season friendly and that the priorities were to get match fit, not get injured, look at the squad in it's entirety and to get the new system across, however...hmmmm

Let's start with the positives :

JWP was the best player on the pitch.

Clyne. The new system encourages him to get beyond the defence and if mirrored on the left, it will be profitable.

Reed. Tidy, competitive and a winner

Chambers. Shaw and a bit

Cork. That bit of invention that we need

Pelle. A man mountain, with great lay offs, who needs players closer to him. Suits the 4 3 3 better than anything else we had/ have

Nigh on 1,000 fans travelling to a pre-season friendly

Koeman looking resplendent in white shirt, cream schlacks and deck shoes

We have sufficient funds to construct a very decent side

The negatives :

Gazza - Obviously a nice guy and popular in the squad but when he's cheered by his own fans for catching and holding an unopposed cross in a friendly, it doesn't inspire confidence

Jos - Suffice it to say that the spectators in the front 8 rows moved from their seats after 15 minutes to avoid getting hit by his passes. He's slower than slow and turns back into trouble time and time again. The thought of him playing alongside Fonte at Anfield scares the begeebies out of me

That leads to hmmmm

Ok, Morgan, Lovren, Wanyama, Davis, Ramirez, Tadic and Boruc were missing, but if any of those get injured, the squad is paper thin.

There are some prospects there for sure but we need to strengthen and quickly.

I'm afraid that Isgrove is too lightweight and not pacey enough. McQueen is not the answer on the right as he constantly checked back onto his left. Mayuka showed why he's been overlooked before. Sinclair isn't up to this level.

On last night's showing Targett, Turnbull, Stephens, Gallagher, Flannigan have something to offer for the future and Sharp, Davis, Fonte and Maya did what we know they can do, but a team with more than two of these nine in it would be a concern

At the very least we need a keeper, a centre half, a left back and two to play with pace alongside Pelle and we need them fast to bond as a team. That's before any more departures

This come's across a lot more negative than I intended, and that's after waiting instead of posting it when I returned last night, but we need reinforcements.

As I mentioned before it is early pre-season and we have £££ and I'll support the stripes whole heartedly come what may, it's just frustrating to see a team dismantled so quickly.

COYR

Bit anxious about getting tickets for Brighton TBH - really would love to go but we took 1200 last night and I'm sure the Brighton box office told me there were only going to be 800 odd tickets

Our allocation at Swindon was 500 odd, yet 900 turned up and where able to get in. They'll have a block ready incase more turn up.

I appreciate that it was an early pre-season friendly and that the priorities were to get match fit, not get injured, look at the squad in it's entirety and to get the new system across, however...hmmmm

Clyne. The new system encourages him to get beyond the defence and if mirrored on the left, it will be profitable.

Chambers. Shaw and a bit

Pelle. A man mountain, with great lay offs, who needs players closer to him. Suits the 4 3 3 better than anything else we had/ have

The negatives :

Gazza - Obviously a nice guy and popular in the squad but when he's cheered by his own fans for catching and holding an unopposed cross in a friendly, it doesn't inspire confidence

Jos - Suffice it to say that the spectators in the front 8 rows moved from their seats after 15 minutes to avoid getting hit by his passes. He's slower than slow and turns back into trouble time and time again. The thought of him playing alongside Fonte at Anfield scares the begeebies out of me

That leads to hmmmm

Ok, Morgan, Lovren, Wanyama, Davis, Ramirez, Tadic and Boruc were missing, but if any of those get injured, the squad is paper thin.

I'm afraid that Isgrove is too lightweight and not pacey enough. McQueen is not the answer on the right as he constantly checked back onto his left. Mayuka showed why he's been overlooked before. Sinclair isn't up to this level.

On last night's showing Targett, Turnbull, Stephens, Gallagher, Flannigan have something to offer for the future and Sharp, Davis, Fonte and Maya did what we know they can do, but a team with more than two of these nine in it would be a concern

At the very least we need a keeper, a centre half, a left back and two to play with pace alongside Pelle and we need them fast to bond as a team. That's before any more departures

This come's across a lot more negative than I intended, and that's after waiting instead of posting it when I returned last night, but we need reinforcements.

As I mentioned before it is early pre-season and we have £££ and I'll support the stripes whole heartedly come what may, it's just frustrating to see a team dismantled so quickly.

COYR

Thanks for posting a pretty balanced view there.

Mayuka is far from a great player, but I personally think he has more adaptable attributes to be a threat than Sharp does - even if it is just raw pace.

Sharp is a poacher, but his all round game is lacking, and his movement restricted. Didn't even make Doncaster's first XI team in their relegation decider FFS - we shouldn't really, as a PL club that came 8th last season, even be debating him.

You really have an agenda against the guy. Wish you'd change the record. He was injured FFS.

You really have an agenda against the guy. Wish you'd change the record. He was injured FFS.

He was on the bench and came on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27167657

I have nothing against him apart from his record suggests he isn't good enough at PL level.

In the Championship last two seasons his record is as follows:

Doncaster 13/14: 15 starts, one sub: 4 goals

Reading 13/14: 6 starts, 4 sub: 2 goals

So nothing against him, but he is nowhere near what we need. Couldn't get in the Reading side regularly, didn't do well at Doncaster.

He will probably be loaned out again. If he isn't then its a backward step seeing as he has been the previous two years in the PL.

Why all this negativity toward Sharp? As a poacher, why can't he play off the new guy?

Because he scored 6 goals in the Championship least season. He did a job getting us promoted but there isn't enough about his game to be a Premier League striker.

Chambers. Shaw and a bit

The negatives :

That leads to hmmmm

COYR

Quailty football post on a Football forum shocker!

Thanks mate

It's difficult to comment on specifics from those highlights, but what I think you can see is a bit more urgency in attack... a desire to work the ball wide, to get crosses in, to feed the front man and play off of him, for the full backs to push forward not just to provide width but also to run in behind... If I had to choose a word, I would say it all seems a bit more dynamic than what we had last season in attack.

We need to see how it translates with better players and against better opposition, but I can see it might be a bit more exciting to watch, even if it means we are less controlled in possession and perhaps more open to attack ourselves.

This is purely speculation based on cumulative highlights so far, but that seems to be a common theme.

It's what you'd do if you have a striker who can run into the box after passing it wide instead of ambling up for one stood up to the back stick. His ability to run with the ball and beat people has also not been overlooked. ;)

I thought we looked poor against Swindon. Pelle looked nothing special at all. Lousy first touch on far too many occasions and lacks power and strength compared to Lambert. Cork put in a solid performance, it'll be a tradgedy if he's not offered a new contract. Chambers and Clyne looked like our best players. Mayuka and Sharp not good enough and I'm not sure about McQueen, Isgrove, Targett or Gallagher. All would benefit from a season long loan in a lower league. Maybe in a year or two but none of them look ready for life in the Premiership just yet. The youngster who impressed me most was Reed. Again, it's probably a bit too soon but I expect him to become something very special.

We need to sign some experience, particularly up front... and a goalkeeper. Not convinced by the 4-3-3 formation & style that Koeman seems to like. It might look good going forward but a decent premiership side will rip us to shreds as we look far too lightweight in the middle. Take a team like that to Liverpool on the opening day and we'll get a right ****ing hiding.

I thought we looked poor against Swindon. Pelle looked nothing special at all. Lousy first touch on far too many occasions and lacks power and strength compared to Lambert. Cork put in a solid performance, it'll be a tradgedy if he's not offered a new contract. Chambers and Clyne looked like our best players. Mayuka and Sharp not good enough and I'm not sure about McQueen, Isgrove, Targett or Gallagher. All would benefit from a season long loan in a lower league. Maybe in a year or two but none of them look ready for life in the Premiership just yet. The youngster who impressed me most was Reed. Again, it's probably a bit too soon but I expect him to become something very special.

We need to sign some experience, particularly up front... and a goalkeeper. Not convinced by the 4-3-3 formation & style that Koeman seems to like. It might look good going forward but a decent premiership side will rip us to shreds as we look far too lightweight in the middle. Take a team like that to Liverpool on the opening day and we'll get a right ****ing hiding.

Bit strong mate based on one pre season game.

But we're not going to take a team like that to Liverpool, so not really relevant.

It was an early pre-season friendly against Swindon, with plenty of additions to be added to the squad.

Hypochondriac - maybe a bit strong but just being honest and realistic. What I've said is pretty much the same as what Ronnie Radford's Boots says a few posts before.

Sour Mash - I'm well aware that it was a pre season friendly. My point is that we need some signings and pretty soon. What's the point in playing a bunch of players who aren't going to be in your starting 11 come August? We should be getting players in early so that they have time to gel. What we currently have is great for the future but not good enough now. We need strength & experience. A goalkeeper. 2 CB's. Possibly a central midfield player & definitely someone who can finish. Our finishing in all 3 friendliest has been **** poor.

To be fair all pre-season friendlies look something like this. You may recall if you went to most of last years or watched it on streams that we didn't look special at all, Guly was one of our top scorers. You aren't judging the polish just the raw team cohesion and interplay. Players will tend to over hit passes or try different things that will either make them look worse or better. Players are learning to read each other and are concentrating on the formation instructions by the manager at this stage, once that is second nature and they know their positions they will better be able to concentrate on controlling ball and making more dynamic opportunities for themselves and team mates, i.e. lots of crosses and classic Fifa style square balls into the box at the moment. The new academy lads will be under more pressure to get their position and movement right for the manager and so should definitely not be judged at all on one performance. However this is just my opinion on pre seasons at saints although it is based on watching a lot of pre season games in the last 4 years (which is true of lots of people).

Edited by Mallagroth

To be fair all pre-season friendlies look something like this. You may recall if you went to most of last years or watched it on streams that we didn't look special at all, Guly was one of our top scorers. You aren't judging the polish just the raw team cohesion and interplay. Players will tend to over hit passes or try different things that will either make them look worse or better. Players are learning to read each other and are concentrating on the formation instructions by the manager at this stage, once that is second nature and they know their positions they will better be able to concentrate on controlling ball and making more dynamic opportunities for themselves and team mates, i.e. lots of crosses and classic Fifa style square balls into the box at the moment. The new academy lads will be under more pressure to get their position and movement right for the manager and so should definitely not be judged at all on one performance. However this is just my opinion on pre seasons at saints although it is based on watching a lot of pre season games in the last 4 years (which is true of lots of people).

Pre-season, especially friendlies, has been a bit of a joke so far really, Monday we were missing 8 first choice players, let alone any new signings. Partly due to WC, but for other reasons as well, the only good thing is that some other teams are even further behind in their pre-season preps than us. Other than Lambert, Liverhampton had none of their England players back by last Friday, and that's half their team. We were missing Boruc, Lovren, Tadic, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis S, Ramirez and Rodriguez, plus we know we need a new LB and (2nd choice) GK.

Seeing as Reed back in May/early June that the pre season had been really well planned, it didnt seem that way when we suddenly went out to Holland at very short notice.

Just an opinion which doubtless will be slated rather than properly replied to, but it certainly doesn't ***feel*** as slick this summer as last.

Once Koeman joined, I'm not sure why he needed to go off on holiday for another week, he was already out of work since the end of May anyway so would have had ample time. Pochettino was working at Spurs ever since he was announced - surely that must be an advantage over a team where the coaching staff come over to England a couple of days before pre season, or in the case of Lee and Watson, are appointed on the morning of the first day!

Edited by Saint Charlie

Liverhampton had none of their England players back by last Friday, and that's half their team. We were missing Boruc, Lovren, Tadic, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis S, Ramirez and Rodriguez, plus we know we need a new LB and (2nd choice) GK.

Exactly. The top teams are in a worse position than us. The WC throws preseason into disarray for everybody except those tems with players not good enough to go.

Seeing as Reed back in May/early June that the pre season had been really well planned, it didnt seem that way when we suddenly went out to Holland at very short notice.

Just an opinion which doubtless will be slated rather than properly replied to, but it certainly doesn't ***feel*** as slick this summer as last.

Once Koeman joined, I'm not sure why he needed to go off on holiday for another week, he was already out of work since the end of May anyway so would have had ample time. Pochettino was working at Spurs ever since he was announced - surely that must be an advantage over a team where the coaching staff come over to England a couple of days before pre season, or in the case of Lee and Watson, are appointed on the morning of the first day!

I really dont know about pre season but it is not unreasonable that when Ron came in he had his own ideas and as for his holiday, he will not get any decent time off between now and next close season so I dont begrudge him some time with his family which I am sure was already in his diary. Pochettino will have know about his summer plans and job well in advance ;)

The important thing is that the management team are together and we are working on improving the squad - which is just what we all want, eh? :D

Pochettino strikes me as a workaholic. But certain our whole pre season and the lead up, time it took to get Poch out and Koeman in, player exists etc will surely have impacted versus the teams who have remained relatively settled and who could plan full with the relevant personnel in place in March, April etc.

But yes, they are all there now. Tournament years always mess up pre season.

Is Wanyama likely to be away for the ACON in January does anyone know?

Pre-season, especially friendlies, has been a bit of a joke so far really, Monday we were missing 8 first choice players, let alone any new signings. Partly due to WC, but for other reasons as well, the only good thing is that some other teams are even further behind in their pre-season preps than us. Other than Lambert, Liverhampton had none of their England players back by last Friday, and that's half their team. We were missing Boruc, Lovren, Tadic, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis S, Ramirez and Rodriguez, plus we know we need a new LB and (2nd choice) GK.

I think tbh most of the top 10 teams will have major misses from the squad for preseason that evens out a bit. The bottom 10, maybe not to the same extent, so maybe they'll have a bit more of an advantage to begin with. Dunn if that'll impact our first "easy" run?

Could be all b+ll+cks though :lol: just something I wondered reading your post.

He will be if Kenya qualify, but having looked it up there's still a way to go for them. They need to overturn a 1-0 deficit against Lesotho in August then get through a group against Burkina Faso, Angola and Gabon.

That might be part of our thinking for bringing in a centre mid, actually. We have an absolutely deadly run during the congested December/January fixtures so having Wanyama away could be a blow even if Morgan stays. Absolute horror story if Wanyama's away, Schneiderlin leaves and one or more of our other midfielders get injured over Christmas and are out for the tournament period.

Highly unlikely. Kenya haven't even qualified for the qualifying group stage yet, they're 1-0 down after the first leg in Lesotho. If they were to overturn it early next month, they'll then go into a qualifying group with Burkina Faso, Angola and Gabon, all of whom are ranked higher than Kenya.

Edit: As DuncanRG managed much quicker than I above!

So does anyone know what's happening with VW if he was an international game early August? Is he back with us momentarily?

Don't know for sure, but I'd like to think he'll be back here for a bit. Would probably do him good to play one of the two friendlies coming up.