3Stars of recent World Cups are overvalued

4 Certain Nationalities are overvalued

5 Older players are overvalued

6 Centre Forwards are overvalued,goalkeepers are undervalued

7 Gentleman prefer blondes; id and abandon 'sight based prejudices'

8 The best time to buy a player is in his early twenties

9 Sell any player when another club offers more than he is worth

10 Replace your best players even before you sell them

11 Buy players with personal problems,and then help them deal with their problems

12 Help your players relocate.

Some timely advice for Saints ?

From the book by Simon Kuiper

1 A new manager wastes money on transfers if you let him

2 Use the wisdom of crowds

11 Buy players with personal problems,and then help them deal with their problems

Number ten is definitely one for us.

From the book by Simon Kuiper

1 A new manager wastes money on transfers if you let him

2 Use the wisdom of crowds

Pretty sure Nigel Clough proposed most of these, hardly revolutionary stuff but still relevant.

Just arrived! Looks to be an excellent addition.

I read the first edition a while back and was pretty darn impressed, but this looks to be a complete revision really - as it should be with four more years of technology and stats analysis in the game (I.e. a massive amount of data and a cultural shift completed).

Adrian - it's funny you should say about 'stating the obvious' as the introduction has an anecdote about exactly that response from Roberto Mancini, who then (gladly) eats his words. Yes, I suspect many of us will 'know' a lot of this already, but its nice to have the facts n figures to support gut feelings and to, sometimes, have your accepted views changed and your eyes opened.

There are possibly better football books out there, but not many that reveal in such geekiness too.

1 A new manager wastes money on transfers if you let him - Redknapp is a prime example

2 Use the wisdom of crowds - well, that of lots of informed people to average out their opinions, not actually fans.

3 Stars of recent World Cups are overvalued - hence my endless "get Ramirez and Osvaldo to the World Cup then sell them" posts last year. Turns out it also works for Lambert, Lallana and Shaw.

4 Certain Nationalities are overvalued - I mentioned this when we signed Guly, funnily enough.

5 Older players are overvalued - especially ones who were excellent as teenagers and are now jaded, injured, going through the motions unmotivated 10 year pros aged 28.

6 Centre Forwards are overvalued,goalkeepers are undervalued - Disagree with the first bit (;)) but agree with the latter

7 Gentleman prefer blondes; id and abandon 'sight based prejudices' - Micky Quinn theory

8 The best time to buy a player is in his early twenties - see also 5

9 Sell any player when another club offers more than he is worth - as a business plan this one depends on the opportunity cost of relegation, surely?

10 Replace your best players even before you sell them - OBVIOUSLY. :(

11 Buy players with personal problems,and then help them deal with their problems - They'd have to be dirt cheap, you can ruin a good squad doing this

12 Help your players relocate. - This was a biggie for me in 2010 when we didn't have today's Prem Staff Bloatware and may not have been good at assimilating foreign players (which seemed to be the case with Tadanari Lee not long after).

Oh, and 2 and 7 are slightly contradictory. Listen to overall opinion but ignore decisions made by the majority based on false premises like appearance? You just said the majority opinion was a good thing?

Edited by The9

Honestly worth reading the book. The chapter that has this list goes on to write about them in detail, the one liners don't do it justice really and they all come from previous 'experts' in transfers. I can't defend all of the points (and neither would or should I - in the book they are dissected not upheld as golden rules).

Brilliant book so far. Great shout 00.

And England Lose because ....... ?

Guess that's one of the shorter chapters.

I would imagine it is! Only on chapter 3 at the moment, but off on holiday today. I will give a full review on my return.

It really does look a cracking book though.

Chapter two can be summed up thus: More Wages = More Wins (the team that pays the most wins the most).

Big Transfers = meh, minimal advantage, big risk, no sign it helps clubs.