How many more signings do you think we'll make ?

Saints boy in Leeds

I think we need between 6-7, but probably more likely to be 4-5.

We've replaced Lallana and Lambert with Pelle and Tadic, but Shaw, J-Rod (short-term anyway), Lovren, and Osvaldo all need replacing. That is another 4 already just to provide the same depth as last season.

Then we need competition for Boruc, a versatile defender who can preferably operate at centre-back and left-back (ensuring Jos is nowhere near the team), and maybe another winger who can compete with Tadic/Ramirez/McQueen/Isgrove for a place, as those last two aren't exactly first-team stalwarts.

I think we need between 6-7, but probably more likely to be 4-5.

We've replaced Lallana and Lambert with Pelle and Tadic, but Shaw, J-Rod (short-term anyway), Lovren, and Osvaldo all need replacing. That is another 4 already just to provide the same depth as last season.

Then we need competition for Boruc, a versatile defender who can preferably operate at centre-back and left-back (ensuring Jos is nowhere near the team), and maybe another winger who can compete with Tadic/Ramirez/McQueen/Isgrove for a place, as those last two aren't exactly first-team stalwarts.

We also need to replace Guly, and that just about gets us back to a par with a very thin squad that we ended up with last season. Our whole problem last season was that we had no strength in depth, well guess what it is worse now. WE can have the best first XI in the league and sure as eggs is eggs we will be found out.

We need 5 in my opinion (GK, LB, 2 x CB, ST), but I fear we will struggle to get more than 2 more.

Its simply taking far too long... :(

Our back 5 is going to look distinctly threadbare come mid-August..

Don't we always dawdle through the summer transfer window ?

Players I consider up to the job who are likely to stay

Keeper - Boruc, Davis*

Defender - Clyne, Chambers, Fonte, Yoshida, Jos*

D Mid - Cork, Wanyama, JWP

A Mid - Tadic, Davis, Gaston

Striker - Pelle, J Rod

*'The job' being 3rd choice 'keeper and 4th choice CB in this case. Wouldn't want either in the starting XI.

Leaves us needing 5 IMO, if Lovren and Morgan leave. 4 if they dont. GK, LB, ST and AM are definites, even if everyone stays. Have enough CM power even without Morgan IMO

According to Koeman in Dutch football magazine VI, he stated in a interview (after the trip to Belgium), we were busy with a few transfers. He said that was all he had to say about it. Not much info, but thats the last I read about any possible transfers.

Did you know that we are the club that has made the most money this summer with outgoing transfers, if I remember rightly Porto and Bayern Munich made up the top 3.

What concerns me is at the end of last season I believe it would have been reasonable to say we needed another four players to make our squad stronger because it seemed we were very, very weak should there be more than say two injuries at the same time.

That is without losing anyone.

We have now lost three key players with more to go and have so far replaced them with two - three more players coming in would appear to be replacing players we lose. So we look to be standing still with a slim and weakish squad.

Also they way things are going if we lose heavily at Liverpool (and in my experience dreams and wishes don't come true, we will probably get well beaten with Lallana, Lovren and Lambert playing significant parts in the defeat and then being interviewed ad infinitum just to rub it in) but half of this will be because the back four will have had about two training sessions together and no practice games.

I don't even consider myself pessimistic but this 'patience' thing and four or five signings is starting to wear on my nerves. We need a better squad than last season, not team and so far nothing has pointed to this happening except a few promises.

5 minimum, those shouting bed wetting are the same people that probably said fuller was a good enough signing for 90k, and players like Bernard, quashie, davenport was more than capable of keeping Southampton up. Less than a month remaining until we play Liverpool we're leaving it extremely tight..

If we had lost nobody (excluding Osvaldo) then I would have thought we would have looked to add 3 to the current squad. We will lose 4, so I think 7 is needed for us to have any chance of standing still. We could potentially make that 6 if we can find a CB equally comfortable at LB. 4 more to come in then assuming Lovren goes and nobody else

5 minimum, those shouting bed wetting are the same people that probably said fuller was a good enough signing for 90k, and players like Bernard, quashie, davenport was more than capable of keeping Southampton up. Less than a month remaining until we play Liverpool we're leaving it extremely tight..

Exactly.

What concerns me is at the end of last season I believe it would have been reasonable to say we needed another four players to make our squad stronger because it seemed we were very, very weak should there be more than say two injuries at the same time.

That is without losing anyone.

We have now lost three key players with more to go and have so far replaced them with two - three more players coming in would appear to be replacing players we lose. So we look to be standing still with a slim and weakish squad.

Also they way things are going if we lose heavily at Liverpool (and in my experience dreams and wishes don't come true, we will probably get well beaten with Lallana, Lovren and Lambert playing significant parts in the defeat and then being interviewed ad infinitum just to rub it in) but half of this will be because the back four will have had about two training sessions together and no practice games.

I don't even consider myself pessimistic but this 'patience' thing and four or five signings is starting to wear on my nerves. We need a better squad than last season, not team and so far nothing has pointed to this happening except a few promises.

Wise words.

Agree. A few other teams have only signed two players like us but they havent lost three (soon to be four) quality ones, with their top scorer out injured long term.

Right now its hard to see more than one signing being brought in by the Brighton game then we only have one friendly.

We need another 4 or 5 players from here, and thats with Schneiderlin staying.

Hopefully it ramps up soon. There must also be the same feeling within the squad, certainly the senior players will realise right now the squad isn't good or strong enough.

Hopefully 5 or 6 signings but nothing seems close!! Looks like another week with no signings with certain posters saying things will look better in 2 weeks. It always seems to be 2 weeks stated and then nothing happens. We could end up with another 3 players out the door Lovren , Osvaldo and Ramirez before a new signing. Hope to god we start getting some signings over the line as it has currently been the longest most frustrating summer I can remember being a Saints fan with no good news anywhere in sight.

Tick tock tick tock we desperately need some good news!!

When Lovren goes we will be very weak in central defence. Apart from that, we have a decent first eleven, but would be only a couple of injuries away from having to throw half of the U21s in there (no matter how good they are, it's too many, too quickly).

We need another LB, but I like the idea that they could cover other positions, too - either CB or midfield.

Unless Stephens or Turnbull look capable of stepping up and providing real quality competition to Fonte & Yoshida, we need 2 x CBs (although if one is also LB, that could be ok)

In midfield, we could do with someone who will deliver a few more goals if Morgan leaves, but are very well stocked there otherwise.

Up front I can't see Mayuka playing a big role this season and Gallagher still looks like he might struggle to deliver consistently, so we need another striker to add competition and someone else to add quality and pace out wide to supply Pelle with crosses.

I make that 5-7 depending on who leaves and the versatility of who comes in.

It all depends on our ambition for this season which hasn't been stated (unless i've missed it)

If we want to compete for top 10 and the cups we need 5.

If we just want to avoid relegation, we could do that with 2.

Not long now....

I thought it was " Sell as many as we can, for as much as we can, and not to worry about Premiership survival or qualifying for European Football "

It all depends on our ambition for this season which hasn't been stated (unless i've missed it)

Not long now....

No, only a mere six weeks or so before the window shuts.

I thought it was " Sell as many as we can, for as much as we can, and not to worry about Premiership survival or qualifying for European Football "

You put this is in quotes so I presume it's an official line - in which case can you post the link to where this is stated please, or is it only another invented pile of SR twaddle?

Not long now....

First sentence the word "our" is the key

You put this is in quotes so I presume it's an official line - in which case can you post the link to where this is stated please, or is it only another invented pile of SR twaddle?

Lambert Gone

Shaw Gone

Lallana Gone

Lovren Going (my opinion)

Schneiderlin Going (my opinion)

Ramirez TBA

Osvaldo (can't even give him away)

JWP hasn't signed "new" contract

JRod hasn't signed "new" contract

Fonte supposed delay in new contract

Cork supposed delay in new contract

Apart from that, everything in the eyes of a Saints fan is normal, running smoothly, with nothing to worry about

But yes, as you say, my post is just "another invented pile of SR twaddle"

I can relate to the first part, but I think like a lot on here that the club think PL survival is going to be easy and not considering how weakened we are. When the club mention about Reed McQuuen and Gallagher, I wonder if they think they can get into the team to make up the numbers, we as fans have lived through the same before they arrived and so rightly are concerned (bed wetting to CBFry) Some also think Reed is 'the chosen one' and knows all there is to know about football and so we are in safe hands, my opinion is that his hands are as safe as Gazzingas.

I can relate to the first part, but I think like a lot on here that the club think PL survival is going to be easy and not considering how weakened we are. When the club mention about Reed McQuuen and Gallagher, I wonder if they think they can get into the team to make up the numbers, we as fans have lived through the same before they arrived and so rightly are concerned (bed wetting to CBFry) Some also think Reed is 'the chosen one' and knows all there is to know about football and so we are in safe hands, my opinion is that his hands are as safe as Gazzingas.

Sums up my thoughts, we have had 5 years relative success and people think it is easy.

We had a great group of players who, apart from the odd one or two, gelled both on and off field.

I really hope Sam Gallagher/Pelle can grab 25 goals between them, if they don't survival will be difficult IMO

5. No more no less. Any more and we're really overhauling the squad.

More than happy for Targett, Reed, JWP, McQueen, Gallagher to get some game time over the season.

Lovren, Shaw, Lambert and Lallana leave.

De Vrij or Van Dijk or Vlaar replace Lovren. Rojo replaces shaw and adds another CB option. Pelle replaces Lambert. Tadic replaces Lallana.

Squad options then enhanced on last season by adding Forster, Ings and Redmond. 3 areas we didn't have last season, keeper competition, an extra goalscorer and another wide option from the bench.

We'd still have a great squad if all that happened. A great squad and a decent profit for the summer.

This would be superb but you know it wont happen, interesting that clubs like West Ham seem to get their business done quickly and quietly whilst ours take forever

We still need another 5-6 but I can't see it happening. Still can't believe people think the likes of Gallagher, Targett and Reed will be good enough at this level. Even Ward Prowse isn't up to it at this level. And we all remember how well the dutch experiment went with a load of kids who are all playing in League 2 now.As it stands we are likely to be relegated. Worrying times

We still need another 5-6 but I can't see it happening. Still can't believe people think the likes of Gallagher, Targett and Reed will be good enough at this level. Even Ward Prowse isn't up to it at this level. And we all remember how well the dutch experiment went with a load of kids who are all playing in League 2 now.As it stands we are likely to be relegated. Worrying times

Its not the young players like Reed and JWP that are the problem.

Its the fact the older ones like Hooiveld is still there after two seasons of prooving he isnt good enough at PL level, that we have the worst second choice keeper in the league and that Sharp is back on the scene after not even shining in the Championship.

Gallagher, Reed, Targett and JWP are promising players at the start of their careers who are good options to have.

Agree we need 5 though.

I think we will sign a GK and a CB who can also play LB. I expect us to spend in the region of £20m and everything else will come from the academy. The academy is our gravy train and cannot be stopped and I would think we have eyes on the summer sales following Euro 2016. We could get a few more academy grads in the England team for that competition, and as with Shaw and Lallana do some very good business.

Consolidate this season, build next.

I think we will sign a GK and a CB who can also play LB. I expect us to spend in the region of £20m and everything else will come from the academy. The academy is our gravy train and cannot be stopped and I would think we have eyes on the summer sales following Euro 2016. We could get a few more academy grads in the England team for that competition, and as with Shaw and Lallana do some very good business.

Consolidate this season, build next.

if lovren stays, we need... GK, LB, Wide player, ST minimum

if lovren goes, a top CB also

just a shame we appear to be very slow in getting in what we need