A decent cup run

Patrick Bateman

Not sure if there is a thread covering this, I couldn't see one ...

One thing I really want the club to push for this year is a bloody decent cup run. FA or League cup, I don't care ... I'm still f**ked off that Pochettino & co decided to stuff it up against Sunderland.

So this season, is it too much to ask for a decent cup run, then maybe a win and a couple of trips round Europe next season?

11th + a cup final : I would take that

8th + a cup win : Ecstatic and give the man a 10 year contract and a massive pay rise > I don't think that's unrealistic this season, if we bolster the defence (Forster, Van Dijk & Vlaar please).

Patrick pooch only ****ed it up because he knew if he won the cup he would have to stay with saints . So he decided to put a weakened team out as he knew then he was going to spurs . In my humble opinion

Why would he have to stay? Just wondered what your reasoning was. I mean surely that would just have added to his plaudits and he'd be even more "hot property" for spuds? Look at Martinez with Wigan. I know they were relegated but do you think Everton would have hired him without that cup run/win?

That all depends on which stands are open and which team we put out.

Have we, since being back in PL, put out our strongest side for a cup game? I refuse to pay £45 to go and see a Saints XI be trashed by Chelsea. If the Club came out and actually showed some intent in the Cups, then I would be much more likely to go.

I'd rather that we exited both cups early and concentrated on finishing 12th. We can then build for next season where we can aim for 7th again.

tell that to the players who didnt seem to care at Sunderland, they were lack lustre at best

Saints team for the Sunderland cup game - Kelvin Davis ©, Nathaniel Clyne, Jos Hooiveld, Maya Yoshida, Luke Shaw, Victor Wanyama, Steven Davis, James Ward-Prowse (Morgan Schneiderlin 61), Adam Lallana (Sam McQueen 82), Guly do Prado (Jay Rodriguez 61), Rickie Lambert

Sorry but that team could and should have beaten Sunderland who made NINE changes from their previous Premier League game. The second string centre back partnership was the main feaure of our so called weakened side but actually played alright on the day. It was the likes of Lambert and Lallana who were being called to question on the day (maybe their heads were already at Liverpool).

I too would like to see a good cup run but I also recognise that this is also an opportunity to keep fringe players a bit happier. If you don't take that opportunity you will find it harder to secure a decent 'back up' in every position.

Saints team for the Sunderland cup game - Kelvin Davis ©, Nathaniel Clyne, Jos Hooiveld, Maya Yoshida, Luke Shaw, Victor Wanyama, Steven Davis, James Ward-Prowse (Morgan Schneiderlin 61), Adam Lallana (Sam McQueen 82), Guly do Prado (Jay Rodriguez 61), Rickie Lambert

Sorry but that team could and should have beaten Sunderland who made NINE changes from their previous Premier League game. The second string centre back partnership was the main feaure of our so called weakened side but actually played alright on the day. It was the likes of Lambert and Lallana who were being called to question on the day (maybe their heads were already at Liverpool).

I too would like to see a good cup run but I also recognise that this is also an opportunity to keep fringe players a bit happier. If you don't take that opportunity you will find it harder to secure a decent 'back up' in every position.

the scary thing is that at present that is the backbone of our squad, adding in the 2 new players and taking out the 3 who have left. Dont panic we are told!!!

I'd rather that we exited both cups early and concentrated on finishing 12th. We can then build for next season where we can aim for 7th again.

The atmosphere in the city was absolutely buzzing in the lead up to "Eighth Place Sunday" back in May. The street parties and celebrations as we sealed that league placing was unforgettable.

I can't see how something like a Wembley semi or cup final could ever match that. All cups don't have any magic any more, but finishing eighth is just the most magical thing any fan can experience.

Personally i think the cups get in the way of what should be our main ambition, talking about champions league football, aiming to finish 7th and having the honour of selling most of our squad to the teams above us.

That's the kind of thing we all dreamt of as kids, i don't think i can put into words the pride and joy i felt at finishing within touching distance of the mighty manchester united and knowing i could watch our best players play for those great teams that we're so lucky to see at st mary's now we're in the premier league.

Truly Sky are right, we are currently living the footballing dream

The atmosphere in the city was absolutely buzzing in the lead up to "Eighth Place Sunday" back in May. The street parties and celebrations as we sealed that league placing was unforgettable.

I can't see how something like a Wembley semi or cup final could ever match that. All cups don't have any magic any more, but finishing eighth is just the most magical thing any fan can experience.

I remember how Man u put out their best side in a Cup Final, they must have won. The theory that you get a safe mid-table position and win cup finals is great by me. To actually believe we would have got through all the games with the so called first 11 still takes a leap of faith...it is Saints we are talking about.

I remember how Man u put out their best side in a Cup Final, they must have won. The theory that you get a safe mid-table position and win cup finals is great by me. To actually believe we would have got through all the games with the so called first 11 still takes a leap of faith...it is Saints we are talking about.

Man Utd reserves are stronger than most other club's first team. Playing your best team doesn't guarantee a win but it does improve your chances.

Why would he have to stay? Just wondered what your reasoning was. I mean surely that would just have added to his plaudits and he'd be even more "hot property" for spuds? Look at Martinez with Wigan. I know they were relegated but do you think Everton would have hired him without that cup run/win?

The reason doesn't make sense however I could be inclined to believe there was a Pooch-centered reason for not taking the cups seriously.

I really do love the 'we wouldn't have beaten the top teams anyway' excuse for wanting to concentrate on the catching the top teams in the league.

The reason doesn't make sense however I could be inclined to believe there was a Pooch-centered reason for not taking the cups seriously.

I really do love the 'we wouldn't have beaten the top teams anyway' excuse for wanting to concentrate on the catching the top teams in the league.

there is no doubt we could have beaten top teams in the cup, but also lesser teams could beat us, that is the beauty of the FA cup. Of course many believe we should have played our best side to get the best chance. Fair but when do the squad players get their games in to stay match fit? It is a problem. If you are safe then perhaps you can play weakened sides in the league, but when are you safe with such a thin squad as ours?

Yes we will.

Not with the current squad (though I am assuming Lovren won't stay) we won't. Now if we add the rumoured 5 signings, yeah, sure it's a possibility. But anything resembling a long term injury to Boruc at the moment and we're screwed anyway.

Not with the current squad (though I am assuming Lovren won't stay) we won't. Now if we add the rumoured 5 signings, yeah, sure it's a possibility. But anything resembling a long term injury to Boruc at the moment and we're screwed anyway.

I was talking slightly more realistically, that we will replace leavers at the very least. Guan seems to believe 4 or 5 players may be coming in. Even without them I can't see many of the poor teams that finished below us last season overtaking us. I would agree there is a chance that we will finish outside the top half but it's certainly not a given as the post I quoted seemed to suggest.

the scary thing is that at present that is the backbone of our squad, adding in the 2 new players and taking out the 3 who have left. Dont panic we are told!!!

It's not brilliant. Of course as well as the new signings we have Cork, Boruc, Fonte, Gaston, Chambers and Gallagher who all offer something very useful to the first team squad. As RK says, by the time we face Liverpool we will have a very good squad. On a par with last season but with more depth IMO. Will miss Guly though - who I am gonig to put my pound on for 'last scorer' now....

It's not brilliant. Of course as well as the new signings we have Cork, Boruc, Fonte, Gaston, Chambers and Gallagher who all offer something very useful to the first team squad. As RK says, by the time we face Liverpool we will have a very good squad. On a par with last season but with more depth IMO. Will miss Guly though - who I am gonig to put my pound on for 'last scorer' now....
Gallagher may in the long run be a decent PL forward but from what i have seen I would want to need to rely on him to score even 5 goals to help us.