Luke Shaw admits to being tapped up?

andoru

“It’s great. When I found out they were interested in me I didn’t think twice,” Shaw said. “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. When I found out they wanted to buy me, I spoke to my agent, he got in touch with Southampton and it got done. I am really excited and happy to be here.”

Quote from http://m.nbcsports.com/content/exclusive-luke-shaw-speaks-out-about-manchester-united-move

So, he found out somehow that Utd were interested and only then Southampton became involved?

Maybe he read a newspaper?

Because everything they print is true, right? Even so, without an official confirmation Luke wouldn't have instructed his agent to get the deal done. It would be pretty presumptuous of him to act without knowing for sure.

Biggest club in the World, but they can't stop their own best players leaving for the likes of Barcelona or Real Madrid. And they finished just one place above poor old Saints last season. Shame that they now have to rely on our academy to produce players like Shaw and paid for him via shirt sales to plastics in Asia.

There's people on here who getting upset that Lovren was "tapped up" after, yes after, Liverpool had made a firm bid.

If that, and this Shaw thing, is "tapping up", then let's just accept that every single football transfer that has happened or every will happen involves tapping up.

"Tapping up" only seems to be a problem when the "Big 6" do it to each other. Outside of that, the reason given seems to be more money on offer/opportunity/Champ League so of course they want to be off and there is nothing wrong with it. It's just part of what football has become, so if anyone hasn't come to expect it, then it surely is about time that they do. There are 6 clubs in this country, 2 maybe 3 in France, 2 maybe 3 in Spain, 4 or so in Germany, 3 or 4 in Italy, 3 or 4 in Russia, some in the Middle East who have so much money that they can do what they want. Even if they did contravene rules, they are not going to be taken to task for it. OK, Man City have had a slapped wrist for breaking FFP rules, but it is hardly going to affect them. Barca has a transfer embargo placed on them which then was put on hold pending an appeal, and they go out and sign £125m worth of players (Admittedly selling £70m worth as well).

Because everything they print is true, right? Even so, without an official confirmation Luke wouldn't have instructed his agent to get the deal done. It would be pretty presumptuous of him to act without knowing for sure.

Yeah, that's really how it works.

It makes no difference if it is true or not.

Report in paper (local or national) that Man U interested in Shaw. Shaw sees it and says "Oh that's nice. I wonder if it is true? I hope it is. I'll give my agent a call, get him to see if it is true, and if so, get it done." Actually, I would have thought his agent, if he was any good at his job, would know about it before him. All it would take is a quite word with a journo from Man U, journo asks Shaw's agent whether it is true and then the ball is rolling. Actually, there are so many ways of doing it, that it isn't even worth worryin about the minutiae.

Dont worry everyone, i'm compiling a dossier of evidence of all the tapping up of our players that has gone on this summer and will presenting it to Greg Dyke in a march from St Marys to Lancaster Gate before the next England game. It's part of the "turn off the tap" Campain that i'll be selling T-shirts for. Who is with me??

Dont worry everyone, i'm compiling a dossier of evidence of all the tapping up of our players that has gone on this summer and will presenting it to Greg Dyke in a march from St Marys to Lancaster Gate before the next England game. Who is with me??

It would be interesting to see a reply if someone DID bother to send a dossier to the PL/FA.

It makes no difference if it is true or not.

Report in paper (local or national) that Man U interested in Shaw. Shaw sees it and says "Oh that's nice. I wonder if it is true? I hope it is. I'll give my agent a call, get him to see if it is true, and if so, get it done." Actually, I would have thought his agent, if he was any good at his job, would know about it before him. All it would take is a quite word with a journo from Man U, journo asks Shaw's agent whether it is true and then the ball is rolling. Actually, there are so many ways of doing it, that it isn't even worth worryin about the minutiae.

Sounds like you've just described tapping up. :)

Biggest club in the World, but they can't stop their own best players leaving for the likes of Barcelona or Real Madrid. And they finished just one place above poor old Saints last season. Shame that they now have to rely on our academy to produce players like Shaw and paid for him via shirt sales to plastics in Asia.

There is so much wrong in this post

You want a packet of crisps to go with that bitter?

He wasn't tapped up. Chelsea had paid SFC to have the option to speak to Luke Shaw and the original intention was he'd go there in Jan' for £27m + add ons. When Jose decided he didn't need him the option lapsed and Utd moved straight in and it was all agreed bar the timing.

Your almost right about that, except the part where Jose decided he didn't need him. Also I'm not sure a Jan move was ever an acceptable proposition.

That's football agents! I didn't agree with their business really but then read the secret footballer book! The game we know would be extremely different without them...

Sounds like something every footballer would say when moving to a new club as well.. Luke owes a lot to Saints and I am sure he would be the first to admit that. Manchester United are a giant in the football world and so the move was inevitable

“It’s great. When I found out they were interested in me I didn’t think twice,” Shaw said. “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. When I found out they wanted to buy me, I spoke to my agent, he got in touch with Southampton and it got done. I am really excited and happy to be here.”

Quote from http://m.nbcsports.com/content/exclusive-luke-shaw-speaks-out-about-manchester-united-move

So, he found out somehow that Utd were interested and only then Southampton became involved?

Douse the burning torch and put your pitch forks down. He said when he found out, he didn't say who told him.

It could have been Southampton that told him of Uniteds interest and then Shaw instructed his agent to talk to us.

There's people on here who getting upset that Lovren was "tapped up" after, yes after, Liverpool had made a firm bid.

If that, and this Shaw thing, is "tapping up", then let's just accept that every single football transfer that has happened or every will happen involves tapping up.

that would be the firm bid that Koeman said we hadn't had of course.

Dont worry everyone, i'm compiling a dossier of evidence of all the tapping up of our players that has gone on this summer and will presenting it to Greg Dyke in a march from St Marys to Lancaster Gate before the next England game. It's part of the "turn off the tap" Campain that i'll be selling T-shirts for. Who is with me??

Will you also be producing giant "Turn off the Tap!" foam hands? If you are I'm in.

Will you also be producing giant "Turn off the Tap!" foam hands? If you are I'm in.

That goes without saying. I expect them to be waved in Greg Dykes face as we hand him the dossier whilst we chant

Turn off the tap

Turn off the tap

Greg dyke turn off the tap

In traditional saints/sloop john b style

Edited by Turkish