Lambert, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Schneiderlin, Rodriguez....

hypochondriac

It's not about money. It's about making people stick to what they agreed.

I have to disagree I'm afraid, its ALL about money, nothing more, nothing less - money, money, money....

The bullsh#t about Champions League etc. would not exist if anybody ever took a paycut to achieve it, can't think of one example !

I have to disagree I'm afraid, its ALL about money, nothing more, nothing less - money, money, money....

The bullsh#t about Champions League etc. would not exist if anybody ever took a paycut to achieve it, can't think of one example !

Oh no I agree. But it doesn't just stop at the players. If our regime is serious in saying it wants to progress then you are not going to do that by having cash sitting in the bank. We will need to spend a fair bit on replacements. Replacements which I believe might still be here if the board took a stronger stance.

I will be disappointed if Chambers leaves but I'm not sure there is much we can do. If any team in the top 4 wants any player from outside it, he will go. Can't think of too many examples where this hasn't happened.

why cant we just say no

he wont go on strike FFS

I get the feeling that just doesn't happen. If players want to leave for a top 4 club they leave.

I know you've been having a mare for weeks -perhaps time for another reinvention?- but don't make out as if keeping Chambers is some Herculean, impossible task. Plenty of reasons why it's different from the other departures.

Chambers? Schneiderlin? Fonte? Cork? How many losses do you consider acceptable? Whatever way you look at it, no first teamers publicly committing their future here and losing potentially six or more from the first team is disgraceful. I'm sorry but if this happens then the board is a joke and les has lied to the fans.

I've been saying this for a while now. We've looked weak and amateurish ever since cortese left. Such a shame - we were on the brink of something very exciting. The for sale signs have well and truly been draped on st Mary's.

The sooner we get a new owner the better. Don't leave it too long mind, we are running out of Crown Jewels.

Anyone getting exited about the academy and training facilities is frankly deluded. It's nothing more than a farm, as it was backin Lowe's day.

I've been saying this for a while now. We've looked weak and amateurish ever since cortese left. Such a shame - we were on the brink of something very exciting. The for sale signs have well and truly been draped on st Mary's.

The sooner we get a new owner the better. Don't leave it too long mind, we are running out of Crown Jewels.

Anyone getting exited about the academy and training facilities is frankly deluded. It's nothing more than a farm, as it was backin Lowe's day.

Yeah very worried she sees it as a new little earner selling all these renewable academy products. Hope i'm wrong or if not hope someone buys her out quick before things go down the toilet completely.

I know you've been having a mare for weeks -perhaps time for another reinvention?- but don't make out as if keeping Chambers is some Herculean, impossible task. Plenty of reasons why it's different from the other departures.

Having a 'mare? Because I don't go around hitting my wife cos we sell some players? Give it a rest. Tell me a time when a team has turned down an offer from a top 4 team and that player hasn't left after negotiating. The only one I can think of is Baines.

Having a 'mare? Because I don't go around hitting my wife cos we sell some players? Give it a rest. Tell me a time when a team has turned down an offer from a top 4 team and that player hasn't left after negotiating. The only one I can think of is Baines.

The kid is 19 with years ahead of him, has not reached the same heights as Shaw and unlikely to be starting for Arsenal. When has a player in that kind of situation forced a move? There is absolutely no risk of a fallout from us saying no.

Edited by shurlock

The kid is 19 with years ahead of him, has not reached the same heights as Shaw and unlikely to be starting for Arsenal. When has a player in that kind of situation forced a move? There is absolutely no risk of a fallout from us saying no.

No, you answer my question first. It'll lead you to the answer of your question.

Sell them all. Sell the academy to Liverpool or Arsenal as they can't seem to handle their own, sell the stadium.

Raise £350 million, give to charity, stop playing football.

At least I won't have to organise my life around when Saints play.

Really? you think if Arsenal come calling our players won't be interested just like Oxo and Walcott weren't interested..........

Sell them all. Sell the academy to Liverpool or Arsenal as they can't seem to handle their own, sell the stadium.

sooner or later, arsenal etc will not bother waiting for them to have a season in the first team squad. they will just see who looks good and buy them for a couple of million £££. roll the dice at saints academy and you will probably get snake eyes

Really? you think if Arsenal come calling our players won't be interested just like Oxo and Walcott weren't interested..........

Completely different situations in terms of talent, likely playing opportunities and our league status. Try again. Perhaps you and jeff can sit down and combine your half a brain cell and come back with something better.

I doubt it.

Completely different situations in terms of talent, likely playing opportunities and our league status. Try again. Perhaps you and jeff can sit down and combine your half a brain cell and come back with something better.

I doubt it.

Shurlock showing off about his superior intellect again. I so wish I had his BTEC in catering...

Actually really don't see the point bothering next season. Might start following NHL or woman's beach volley or something I think.

I doubt it.

No ****ing difference at all Arsenal are a big club our position really is no stronger against them this time than it was the other times. Do you really think Chambers thinks he is incapable of getting into the arsenal 1st team you might but I bet he doesn't. Why T wats like you continue to imagine saints can somehow stop players wanting to go to clubs like Arsenal is totally beyond me.

Actually really don't see the point bothering next season. Might start following NHL or woman's beach volley or something I think.

I can - I've paid for a season ticket. Want to get good value from it. Fully expecting us to make decent signings - if not, well then we can see about whether to renew the season after or not.

As a customer, I would like the company whose product I have paid a lot for, to be able to tell me what is going on. But I doubt we'll get that. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens. As I always say, I love Saints, but hate football/PL. My love of Saints is more than my hate for football, but I can see that changing. It already has to a certain extent.

Seems to me that this chambers sale is the one that has got most people's backs up and that's certainly the case for me. If we sell all our youth players before they even begin to show a bit of their potential then we may as well fold the club and as Adrian said, sell everything and give it to charity. I mean what is the point if we are going to be subjected to this every other summer?

I can - I've paid for a season ticket. Want to get good value from it. Fully expecting us to make decent signings - if not, well then we can see about whether to renew the season after or not.

As a customer, I would like the company whose product I have paid a lot for, to be able to tell me what is going on. But I doubt we'll get that. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens. As I always say, I love Saints, but hate football/PL. My love of Saints is more than my hate for football, but I can see that changing. It already has to a certain extent.

I'd love to be able to afford an ST for next season regardless of the team. Really I just want to go down SMS on a Saturday and watch 11 blokes in Saints shirts giving it a good go. I can't believe anyone every started supporting saints for the glory and saints have been in far worse positions than the current one. Maybe I'm older but even the thought of relegation really doesn't bother me. Hell I'd watch saints in non-league if ever got that bad clearly other people will haven't different pain thresholds to me.

No ****ing difference at all Arsenal are a big club our position really is no stronger against them this time than it was the other times. Do you really think Chambers thinks he is incapable of getting into the arsenal 1st team you might but I bet he doesn't. Why T wats like you continue to imagine saints can somehow stop players wanting to go to clubs like Arsenal is totally beyond me.

Where have I said we can stop every player going to bigger clubs? Never said anything of the sort. Indeed, I got stick when I challenged those people who claimed we could simply treat the wantaways in the same manner Liverpool treated Suarez last summer. Half a brain cell was flattering you, sunshine.

The refrain in the championship when we sold chamberlain was 'well at least if we get to the prem we can keep them for a bit longer.' it now appears that this is not the case so I really feel like jacking it all in to be honest.

The Chamberlain sale ultimately helped us buy a team to take us to the next level (promotion to the prem). The two situations are incomparable. When heartbeat of the squad has been ripped out. We are in complete meltdown. Can't see Koeman lasting till Christmas.

Where have I said we can stop every player going to bigger clubs? Never said anything of the sort. Indeed, I got stick when I challenged those people who claimed we could simply treat the wantaways in the same manner Liverpool treated Suarez last summer. Half a brain cell was flattering you, sunshine.

most of the time you don't seem to know what you're f ucking saying..sonny

I'd love to be able to afford an ST for next season regardless of the team. Really I just want to go down SMS on a Saturday and watch 11 blokes in Saints shirts giving it a good go. I can't believe anyone every started supporting saints for the glory and saints have been in far worse positions than the current one. Maybe I'm older but even the thought of relegation really doesn't bother me. Hell I'd watch saints in non-league if ever got that bad clearly other people will haven't different pain thresholds to me.

You know what, relegation doesn't really bother me either, not that I am thinking that will happen, as I am (blindly) optimistic that we will sign good replacements (although the actions of the board may justifiably suggest otherwise). I take a step backwards and look at things and disagree with Shankly when he said football is more important than life or death. It's not. It's entertainment that is all - and I do find it hard to reconcile entertainment and the relentless pursuit of money that the PL is. It doesn't affect my life, save to bring some enjoyment (sometimes - and none since May!). I do though find it hugely sad that we have pïssed away all what we have built up and have to start again. Maybe it was inevitable, maybe it was avoidable. But what's done is done. I can't affect that. If the owners don't want to back the club then that too will be very sad.

As someone said elsewhere citing Villa's attempted sale, maybe the future of football is finished with Platini's FFP rules. Maybe KL is being wise to cash in and get out. Maybe this is totally wrong and the club is going to strengthen - in these times, without any voice from the board, who knows WTF is going on and what the future holds.

true. But please expand.

If the people who constantly moan about the board had gone to Swindon or Bournemouth this week they will have realised that the club is not in turmoil. The support was immense and as long as we have that I won't be concerned. We (the supporters) are the only constant and without us the club would be a hollow shell. We played well against a strong Bournemouth team with them being at least a week further into pre-season than us. Koeman is a quality manager, Pelle & Tadic good incoming players with more to come. Chill out! Look where we were 5 years ago and be thankful.

true. But please expand.

Ultimately, it's our prerogative to say no but player power, if sufficiently strong, will prevail. I don't think Chambers would have agitated or forced a move if we had said no. It's not like he's outgrown us; rather he has repeatedly stressed the importance of game time (he has all of 20 appearances and is not fully established much like Barkley, arguably a bigger talent). He's unlikely to get this n the short-term at Arsenal who have just signed Debuchy at RB. If the aim is to move him to CB, that transition won't happen overnight and won't be pain free. Ultimately, he has time on his side -say another season or two. So while at worst he might have grumbled, it is much easier to imagine him accepting the club's decision -assuming, of course, we wanted to keep him.

Contrast his situation with the following:

Lallana: already 26, captain of the club and now or never in terms of playing at a higher level. No guarantees that clubs will come in again for him if he doesn't repeat last season's form.

Shaw: a young-un and as many united fans noted it would have done him no harm to hang around another season; however is further advanced in his development than Chambers (a full England international versus an u-19 international) and likely to be a week-in, week-out starter for them.

Lovren: more established than Chambers and indeed Lallana and Shaw and a mercenary with no allegiances to the club, except possibly those to the old regime.

Edited by shurlock

Ultimately, it's our prerogative to say no but player power, if sufficiently strong, will prevail. I don't think Chambers would have agitated or forced a move if we had said no. It's not like he's outgrown us; rather he has repeatedly stressed the importance of game time (he has all of 20 appearances and is not fully established much like Barkley, arguably a bigger talent). He's unlikely to get this n the short-term at Arsenal who have just signed Debuchy at RB. If the aim is to move him to CB, that transition won't happen overnight and won't be pain free. Ultimately, he has time on his side -say another season or two. So while at worst he might have grumbled, it is much easier to imagine him accepting the club's decision -assuming, of course, we wanted to keep him.

Contrast his situation with the following:

Lallana: already 26, captain of the club and now or never in terms of playing at a higher level. No guarantees that clubs will come in again for him if he doesn't repeat last season's form.

Shaw: a young-un and as many united fans noted it would have done him no harm to hang around another season; however is further advanced in his development than Chambers (a full England international versus an u-19 international) and likely to be a week-in, week-out starter for them.

Lovren: more established than Chambers and indeed Lallana and Shaw and a mercenary with no allegiances to the club, except possibly those to the old regime.

Yes Chambers is different. The strategy seems to have been to buy young up and coming English talent to supplement what comes out of the Academy. In the case of Chambers we are selling it. Add to this the fact that it's yet one more sale of one of our better players and we reach a tipping point. The only thought I had in justification of selling Chambers is that maybe the club recognised that it couldn't keep both Chambers and Clyne happy for much longer and would have lost one of them at some point.

I still not bothered. If we sell Chambers as well, then I'll be bothered.

I will be disappointed if Chambers leaves but I'm not sure there is much we can do. If any team in the top 4 wants any player from outside it, he will go. Can't think of too many examples where this hasn't happened.

why cant we just say no

he wont go on strike FFS

For me, Chambers leaving would be the most disappointing. Experienced players who have proven themselves in the PL and then gone to a World Cup leaving for a potential top 4 side I can understand, even Luke Shaw as the most inexperienced is going to replace Patrice Evra at Man Utd - they've all moved to top clubs in or around the Champions League and got massive pay rises out of it as well.

Chambers will go to Arsenal, and I'm not convinced he'll be their first choice right back. Batman is right, if we tell him to stay then he will and he'll improve for it. One thing he won't do is strike. But if the board have capitulated to Chambers moving, what chance have we got of keeping hold of Morgan? Absolutely none.

It a bad move for the player, and it's a bad move by Saints - this has truly set the precedent. We really do need some players in, and quickly.

Yes Chambers is different. The strategy seems to have been to buy young up and coming English talent to supplement what comes out of the Academy. In the case of Chambers we are selling it. Add to this the fact that it's yet one more sale of one of our better players and we reach a tipping point. The only thought I had in justification of selling Chambers is that maybe the club recognised that it couldn't keep both Chambers and Clyne happy for much longer and would have lost one of them at some point.

Very true - if there's one silver-lining, it's that Clyne can now lock down the RB berth and I do think Clyne, while less polished, is the better fullback. That said it's interesting that Wenger reportedly sees Chambers as a future CB, something discussed on here but only as idle chatter. If there was ever a time to experiment with this, it would have been now.