Will this be the best transfer window for Saints ever?

Mallagroth

Wow new season is looking really exciting. Its a shame we had a few want away players, but they really weren't worth the wages they are being offered elsewhere.

So to recap;

We have replaced our ageing hero with a similar style of striker in the form of top scorer from the Eredivisie.

We have bought the top chance creator in the world (according to statistics). Hopefully he can shoot with power too? (hope you are working on that Adam, Liverpool crowd can get tetchy)

We appointed an internationally recognised manager, who has been brazen enough to target another top 10 finish for little old saints maybe even a stab at getting into Europe.

We have made near 100 million for the sale of 3 players, including aforementioned ageing striker plus a one season kid for a record fee.

We are currently being linked for 4 or 5 exciting players and for once we have the money, the manager and the prestige of an 8th placed finish to get them over the line.

We got our stripes back, not a big deal for me but know thousands of our fans feel differently.

Our academy reputation continues to grow despite the odds. We have been told that all the pre-season debutants are looking strong enough to fill some squad positions to give us depth we were missing. We may well already have a left back as good as Shaw ready in the wings if this ITK are to be believed.

Can there be anyone in the UK who would not name Southampton FC as being the best academy in the country at this point?

Every media outlet in the country has been talking about us, every club wants our players, and is envious of our training and development ability with both players young and more experienced. Soon we may have a point when we sing… and it's all Southampton…

N.B: Of course you could always just look at all the negative side of things, extrapolate disasters and post doom predictions and demand the firing of members of club management. Am I trying to make a point in this thread? In a way by asking the question in the title yes, I genuinely believe that there have been some very good things happening so far as well as some very worrying things but there is no reason this window cannot be good based on the facts of what has actually happened so far. There is far more speculation involved in claiming we are doomed, relegated and have got rid of 9 players etc than in my post. Will this be the best window, in my opinion no, but it still has the potential to be bloody good or bloody awful so let's not get carried away with superlatives one way or another.

Edited by Mallagroth
N.B. Clarification as a result of Troll/WUM accusation

Wow new season is looking really exciting. Its a shame we had a few want away players, but they really weren't worth the wages they are being offered elsewhere.

So to recap;

We have replaced our ageing hero with a similar style of striker in the form of top scorer from the Eredivisie.

We have bought the top chance creator in the world (according to statistics). Hopefully he can shoot with power too? (hope you are working on that Adam, Liverpool crowd can get tetchy)

We appointed an internationally recognised manager, who has been brazen enough to target another top 10 finish for little old saints maybe even a stab at getting into Europe.

We have made near 100 million for the sale of 3 players, including aforementioned ageing striker plus a one season kid for a record fee.

We are currently being linked for 4 or 5 exciting players and for once we have the money, the manager and the prestige of an 8th placed finish to get them over the line.

We got our stripes back, not a big deal for me but know thousands of our fans feel differently.

Our academy reputation continues to grow despite the odds. We have been told that all the pre-season debutants are looking strong enough to fill some squad positions to give us depth we were missing. We may well already have a left back as good as Shaw ready in the wings if this ITK are to be believed.

Can there be anyone in the UK who would not name Southampton FC as being the best academy in the country at this point?

Every media outlet in the country has been talking about us, every club wants our players, and is envious of our training and development ability with both players young and more experienced. Soon we may have a point when we sing… and it's all Southampton...

Looking good at the moment...

Good to see a contrarian viewpoint to the pessimistic waffle being published. It's well worth reading Mourinho's comments about Shaw, although some of this may have been mind games, I think there's a great deal og good sense in it. However we still require three or four good transfers with time to bed in.

This is as much a WUM post as a negative one IMO.

Same answer everyone gives to the negative people - lets judge in September.

I don't understand? Is not what I have said also just as true as the other threads floating around, (but with facts). I agree we will see in September.

Edited by Mallagroth

It all depends on how much of what we raked in is re-invested in the squad, will be very very surprised if anywhere near what we have received, my guess is we will gamble on cheaper replacements with potential

At the moment, it's teetering on the edge of being the worst ever transfer window for us, in my lifetime.

But it could turn out to be OK in the end and we sort a competitive team out. Don't think we'll ever look back on this as the best ever though, very frustrating and ultimately draining.

I don't understand? Is not what I have said also just as true as the other threads floating around? I agree we will see in September.

You know exactly what you are doing.

I like the bit where it says we have made nearly 100m for the sale of 3 players. What sums are they? 45m for Shaw, 45m for Lallana and 4m for Lambert? In actual fact is is probably 60 million which isn't really "nearly 100m".

Last summer window was infinitely better than this one has been so far so will need quite a dramatic shift.

At this point its far more likely to be the worst window since they were introduced than it is the best.

Opinions I guess.

You know exactly what you are doing.

I like the bit where it says we have made nearly 100m for the sale of 3 players. What sums are they? 45m for Shaw, 45m for Lallana and 4m for Lambert? In actual fact is is probably 60 million which isn't really "nearly 100m".

Last summer window was infinitely better than this one has been so far so will need quite a dramatic shift.

At this point its far more likely to be the worst window since they were introduced than it is the best.

Opinions I guess.

I didn't say which 3 ;)

I didn't say which 3 ;)

We have only sold 3 so far. In fact, you haven't even mentioned the fact we will end up having sold at least 5 of our best players from last season.

By all means post some positive stuff but get the facts right and don't ignore that quite obvious flaw to the whole summer if you want people to take it seriously.

Agree on some of the other points ie Academy etc but they arent really relevant to the window being good or bad.

At the moment, it's teetering on the edge of being the worst ever transfer window for us, in my lifetime.

But it could turn out to be OK in the end and we sort a competitive team out. Don't think we'll ever look back on this as the best ever though, very frustrating and ultimately draining.

Yep I agree, it has the potential to go horribly wrong, but at the moment it's actually all quite okay. Most of the negative feeling and doom mongering is speculation at what could happen and what the negative effects on team morale could be. I will join with the pitch fork wielders if it all goes as bad as some predict.

We have only sold 3 so far. In fact, you haven't even mentioned the fact we will end up having sold at least 5 of our best players from last season.

By all means post some positive stuff but get the facts right and don't ignore that quite obvious flaw to the whole summer if you want people to take it seriously.

These facts don't seem so necessary on the negative doom predictors version of the summer. According to some of your posts we have sold 5 already? What is the obvious flaw to the whole summer. I believe we have shipped out want away players. It is a shame that they played well for us last summer, but we are changing system and there is nothing to say they would have coped well under this manager. Lallana was one of our least impressive players under Adkins system if I recall the Adam should be stripped of his captaincy threads from not so long ago.

If you think this is anyone close to the transfer window of 2007 or 2008 then you need your head looking. Yes we've lost some good players but we've replaced them with good players too. I think most of us would have given our right arm for Pelle and Tadic when we were signing Pekhart and Robertson on loan.

If you think this is anyone close to the transfer window of 2007 or 2008 then you need your head looking. Yes we've lost some good players but we've replaced them with good players too. I think most of us would have given our right arm for Pelle and Tadic when we were signing Pekhart and Robertson on loan.

not really. will reserve judgement as players from that league are very hit and miss

Altidore scored a lot in that league, as did alfonso alves

tadic looks good, but see above

As has often been said, we ae currently the victims of our own success. It is immensively flattering to have the best clubs in the country after our players and an ex player playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. As has also been said we are not a big club and if it is true that Shaw is on something like £100k or £120k a week it is easy to see why we cant keep players. A few years ago, apart from a few notable exceptions, we couldnt give players away. If the club (which includes Les Reed) had not done so well in turning things around we wouldnt have enjoyed the last few seasons so much - this is the payback. However there is no reason the belive that the world is coming to an end - things are changing - that is all. Yes, it is a lot to take in and it isnt very nice to see so many players go in one window but there is no point in kicking off until we see what squad we have come the end of the transfer window.

Obvious trolling attempt, but one point bugged me enough to respond - Shaw was not a one season kid. The jury is not still out, and they didn't pay that much "for the potential". He is the best left back in the Premier League already.

its the downgrading of the players that left. Lallana is now 'over hyped'

Obvious trolling attempt, but one point bugged me enough to respond - Shaw was not a one season kid. The jury is not still out, and they didn't pay that much "for the potential". He is the best left back in the Premier League already.

I dont think he is. He has a lot of potential but needs to have more end product going forward. It could well come but he is not the finished article and why should he be at his tender age?

I dont think he is. He has a lot of potential but needs to have more end product going forward. It could well come but he is not the finished article and why should he be at his tender age?

well, the pros and managers in the country thought he was.

the england manager thought he was in the top two english ones

saints are going down with loads of money in the bank, money in the bank...money in thebank

Thats all we're going to hear all season from the opposition fans.

God I hope we spend this summer so we don't have to hear that week in and week out If we don't we are unlikely to invest in January (just no-one around to buy) and next summer the prices will all ratchet up again... and by next summer it might be too late and both parts of the song may have been proven to be true. We need a big spending spree - AND FAST.

This thread is important.

It is the key question by which we must judge KL's ambition. If we fail to spend in order to make this the best transfer window ever, we will know whether or not we as fans should politely ask her to sell up and go.

Edited by SaintRobbie

not really. will reserve judgement as players from that league are very hit and miss

Altidore scored a lot in that league, as did alfonso alves

tadic looks good, but see above

You would have preferred Pekhart and Robertson? Okay, fair enough.

Strange how when someone says something positive about a player it's all, "let's wait and reserve judgment," and yet when it's a player leaving or a rumour it's immediately doom and gloom, our club is a joke, we're a laughing stock etc. etc.

I don't see much judgment being reserved on the Morgan, Chambers and Lovren rumours.

Shaw played one full season with us as first choice left back? Also he is the best left back in the premier league in your opinion, you wouldn't get a consensus on this across all the fans of other clubs and British media. I think you're well off the mark. He is a great player though and a shame we couldn't have him with us for another year.

Not all of them. Yes he was picked for the English squad but there are other non English left backs who ae quality and have more end product.

You would have preferred Pekhart and Robertson? Okay, fair enough.

Strange how when someone says something positive about a player it's all, "let's wait and reserve judgment," and yet when it's a player leaving or a rumour it's immediately doom and gloom, our club is a joke, we're a laughing stock etc. etc.

I don't see much judgment being reserved on the Morgan, Chambers and Lovren rumours.

im reserving judgement as the premier league is its own environment. many players who have succeeded abroad have simply failed here. mainly due to the intensity, pace and relentlessness of the league.

we are losing proven premier league performers for players who we dont know how they will take to the league

I thought osvaldo and ramirez would have lit this league up. really have failed

Certainly could be one of the best windows ever for players coming in if things pan out as rumoured. I also think it the medium / long run if the the money is used well the club will be stronger for it. Its hard to say that the team will be stronger on 17th August though.

its the downgrading of the players that left. Lallana is now 'over hyped'

Lallana is a good player, but yes I believe in my opinion that he has been over hyped by the British media. He had a great season and did a fantastic job for us on our journey to this level. Can he step up to be as useful at champions league level? I'm not so sure. Roy made a decision that he wasn't good enough to be his first pick after spending time with Adam. After the way he acted I hope I am right. We got rid of someone who clearly was up his own arse, either way that is a positive mate.

Lallana is a good player, but yes I believe in my opinion that he has been over hyped by the British media. He had a great season and did a fantastic job for us on our journey to this level. Can he step up to be as useful at champions league level? I'm not so sure. Roy made a decision that he wasn't good enough to be his first pick after spending time with Adam. After the way he acted I hope I am right. We got rid of someone who clearly was up his own arse, either way that is a positive mate.

He's a class act, maybe he's a complete ****-beard, but he's a class act. He is at the UCL and international level - that's where he will be playing. He's more than good enough.

The fact Roy didn't pick him is down to his ineptness as a manager, he should have been starting in every game at the WC.

Not really posted on any of these threads but my brief take is below.

Sorry but in my opinion it is far from teetering but it is easily already the worst transfer window ANY top flight club has ever had to endure. I have not seen another club in the Premier League have to go through the amount of instability and upheaval we have.

I can handle losing players, they come and go. What I am finding difficult is being told for the past few years that our identity revolves around our academy and developing players for our first team. Growing them together, building and fostering a way of playing and team spirit and a strong bond with a core of players who want to play for each other as well as the shirt they are wearing. This is what I love and want to see, I don't want to see a return to a squad made up of the latest johnny foreigner mercenaries. Yes we need to supplement with a few imports of international quality but they should be the right ones and of good quality and fit the clubs ethos.

All I am seeing at the moment is the policy we have worked so hard to foster over the past 5 years being dismantled and thrown away. Yes we may get in a few foreign stars along the way but the death of the dream is nigh and that's hard to take. It will take all of Koeman's managerial skill to get us over this and I wish him luck with that, for me it will never be the same again though.

lallana, again in the PFA team of the year. Unless his fellow pros are over hyping him?

his stats were just as good as hazrd, better than Silva

as for england, look at the state of the performances. I dont think you can judge him on what that idiot hodgson does

Why do we always downgrade players once they've left? The fact is we will not replace them with anyone near their ability at this present time, the replacements may become as influential as the players that have left, but that will take time and patience.

It reminds me back to when we sold Bale, who has since gone onto become a mega-star. ''We can do better than him, we can replace him with Andrew Surman - he can play at LB''. Same as Oxo, easily replaced by De Ridder or something.

We've lost tremendous players, there's no way of polishing that up as any sort of positive. We have lost tremendous players who we will struggle to replace. That is the sad story.

For me he's the best YOUNG English left back and SHOULD become the nest English left back but we have sold him for an enormous fee which at this stage in my opinion he is not really worth. If he loses confidence, suffers injury problems etc he may not reach his potential or ever be worth the fee, time will tell.

Why do we always downgrade players once they've left? The fact is we will not replace them with anyone near their ability at this present time, the replacements may become as influential as the players that have left, but that will take time and patience.

It reminds me back to when we sold Bale, who has since gone onto become a mega-star. ''We can do better than him, we can replace him with Andrew Surman - he can play at LB''. Same as Oxo, easily replaced by De Ridder or something.

We've lost tremendous players, there's no way of polishing that up as any sort of positive. We have lost tremendous players who we will struggle to replace. That is the sad story.

Its so bizarre. Same thing has happened with Pochettino, who was class for us. We were one of a handful of teams with an obvious style last season.

People say we have replaced Poch with a better Manager but thats certainly opinion not fact.

He's a class act, maybe he's a complete ****-beard, but he's a class act. He is at the UCL and international level - that's where he will be playing. He's more than good enough.

The fact Roy didn't pick him is down to his ineptness as a manager, he should have been starting in every game at the WC.

Fair play to him if he does, last season he was very exciting to watch. Either of us could be right, I guess we will see over the course of next season. It's going to be another interesting subplot to watch.

Well, over hyped in the sense that Liverpool have paid too much for him, IMHO.

he was also nominated for the player of the year, along with...

Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge

Steven Gerrard

Eden Hazard

Yaya Toure

I suspect his fee would be the lowest had all of them be up for sale to the highest bidder this summer, except maybe gerrard due to his age

again, his fellow pros must be wrong

What I am finding difficult is being told for the past few years that our identity revolves around our academy and developing players for our first team. Growing them together, building and fostering a way of playing and team spirit and a strong bond with a core of players who want to play for each other as well as the shirt they are wearing.

All very well and good except that clearly isn't what we had. We didn't have a group of young players wanting to play for the shirt.

Luke Shaw ASKED to leave

Calum Chambers has ASKED to leave

Adam Lallana threatened to go on strike in order to leave

For the very talented players we bring through we are a stepping stone. £££££ talks

Very good post. I've said it elsewhere, but those who raved about the performance at Bournemouth need to go to specsavers. We were a whole level of quality below last seasons performances. (And Gallagher is still technically challenged). I know we may get reinforcements and I know some better players are away (well one who's going to stay - Big Vic) but don't assume our players will all seamlessly come together and be better. Theres more to a team than individuals, the core of the last one took 3 years to reach its high standard of team performance.

Koeman has been brought in not to kick us on - but to steady the ship this season. Trouble is he managed to do it in his last club WITHOUT spending and by using youth. That's what concerns me. Until I see EVERY PENNY from sales reinvested I will not trust the owner or the Board we have. They have lied to us this summer time and time again. Their integrity is in doubt. A lot of doubt. So, the question this forum sets - 'will this be the best ever transfer window?' is so so important. But, it could also be read as 'Does the owner and the Board have the integrity it needs to run a football club?'

We can't do anything about individual players and their greed and selfishness. But we can direct the treasure in the right way to replace bad apples with fresh blood. (got to be the best set of split metaphors I've ever used that!!! :) )

Edited by SaintRobbie

Its so bizarre. Same thing has happened with Pochettino, who was class for us. We were one of a handful of teams with an obvious style last season.

People say we have replaced Poch with a better Manager but thats certainly opinion not fact.

Has anyone actually said that? I hope we have and am surely not alone in this. I hope that this window turns out to be good as in my OP and it doesn't meet the doom predictions of others.

Good to look at the positives - I do believe we have a great manager, good youth coming through and money in the bank. However the below facts make me think this could be one of our worst transfer windows:

1) The players we have sold & j-rods injury (I've halved his stats) mean we have lost 33 prem goals (60pc of all our goals) and 21 prem assists. You are asking an awful lot of new players to fill that void.

2) At least half the team will be different - let's assume they are all new signings, who have not only never played in the prem before but are playing with a completely new team, tactics and manager. The other half need to get used to the new players, new tactics and new manager in 2 weeks (I'm assuming here that we will have new players and not start the team we did v Bmouth)

3) it is incredibly unlikely that the players we bring in will be currently better than those sold. If they were then you have to assume that the scouting system for the top 6 is a disaster.

Our hope has to be that we can find players we can improve to be at the level of those departed. I expect an incredibly tough first ten games with us likely to be bottom 3. On the positive side unlike 2 yrs ago we do have some players with pl experience and a stronger squad. RK needs to do an Atkins with rapid improvement of an inexperienced PL squad and we'll need to be patient as this will not happen overnight and we will start the season considerably weaker than we ended the last, but I hope we have a decent second half to the season for a comfortable mid-table finish.

Good to look at the positives - I do believe we have a great manager, good youth coming through and money in the bank. However the below facts make me think this could be one of our worst transfer windows:

1) The players we have sold & j-rods injury (I've halved his stats) mean we have lost 33 prem goals (60pc of all our goals) and 21 prem assists. You are asking an awful lot of new players to fill that void.

2) At least half the team will be different - let's assume they are all new signings, who have not only never played in the prem before but are playing with a completely new team, tactics and manager. The other half need to get used to the new players, new tactics and new manager in 2 weeks (I'm assuming here that we will have new players and not start the team we did v Bmouth)

3) it is incredibly unlikely that the players we bring in will be currently better than those sold. If they were then you have to assume that the scouting system for the top 6 is a disaster.

Our hope has to be that we can find players we can improve to be at the level of those departed. I expect an incredibly tough first ten games with us likely to be bottom 3. On the positive side unlike 2 yrs ago we do have some players with pl experience and a stronger squad. RK needs to do an Atkins with rapid improvement of an inexperienced PL squad and we'll need to be patient as this will not happen overnight and we will start the season considerably weaker than we ended the last, but I hope we have a decent second half to the season for a comfortable mid-table finish.

Interesting points and our second 10 games are harder on paper than the first so if we are bottom 3 after the first 10 then I would be extremely worried.

Has anyone actually said that? I hope we have and am surely not alone in this. I hope that this window turns out to be good as in my OP and it doesn't meet the doom predictions of others.

Good work with the OP Mallo. Going by the opinion of my family:

Son - he applies ruthless Fifa logic to everything and just assumes we'll replace and reinforce and get new heroes/staff

Brother - I was bigging up Lallana but he wasn't impressed by his strength and pace when we went to Villa away, and he was somewhat of an accomplished footballer. Mind you, he was astonished that all the players were wearing brightly coloured boots!

Uncle - He's a fascist and thinks that we're good without Africans.

Dad - well, he died last year and was really chuffed about how well we finished. I'm sure, like many supporters of 50,60 and 70 years, he would have been phlegmatic about the changes and say he's seen it all before. (as many senior members have often said)

Me - I waver between angst and crumbs of comfort. Wonder whether supporting in L1 was more fun. My god, I may even be attracted to the Dalek point of view!! Exterminate!