Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Yeah, I believe the Cork contract situation was handled a bit poorly. I think he should have been offered one in September/October time, but my opinion is that the club felt that he was potentially blocking a route for Reed/JWP etc and therefore weren't as keen to commit long-term - whether or not that's the right way of going about it is up for debate, but the club have been pretty clear on making sure there is always a pathway for youth players.

Calum Chambers didn't even make the bench for Arsenal yesterday. By my reckoning he is third choice right-back and fourth-choice centre-halve. He is young and has time but it is hard to see where his pathway exists unless any player gets injured as the incumbents in each position are hardly old.

Yeah, I believe the Cork contract situation was handled a bit poorly. I think he should have been offered one in September/October time, but my opinion is that the club felt that he was potentially blocking a route for Reed/JWP etc and therefore weren't as keen to commit long-term - whether or not that's the right way of going about it is up for debate, but the club have been pretty clear on making sure there is always a pathway for youth players.

This must be how it was. Was always a risky strategy IMO with this summer being potentially damaging to our central midfield with Morgan's expected departure and (please not) any interest in Big Vic.

Calum Chambers didn't even make the bench for Arsenal yesterday. By my reckoning he is third choice right-back and fourth-choice centre-halve. He is young and has time but it is hard to see where his pathway exists unless any player gets injured as the incumbents in each position are hardly old.

I was never overly impressed with him. It's no surprise his move went through so quickly last summer, I'm sure Les didn't hesistate to take the £16 million. Maybe someone will come in with a similarly ridiculous offer for JWP this summer

But at Arsenal doesn't it appear to be a question of when someone will get injured not if?

Offered him a new deal much earlier than we did!

I really don't think it was the timing of the deal. Jack clearly wants regular starts and we couldn't offer that to him. Good on him for wanting to play and he has moved on and gets more starts.

I was never overly impressed with him. It's no surprise his move went through so quickly last summer, I'm sure Les didn't hesistate to take the £16 million. Maybe someone will come in with a similarly ridiculous offer for JWP this summer

I agree. £16m was an awful lot of money for Chambers who has now shown his true level - which is not top 4 level. Maybe he will improve in time but it was a deal too good to miss.

I agree. £16m was an awful lot of money for Chambers who has now shown his true level - which is not top 4 level. Maybe he will improve in time but it was a deal too good to miss.

In fact recruitment managers may look at our 5 exiles and ask themselves if it wasn't the system that made the players

look better than they actually are. Really doubt if anyone will splurge on a Saints player this summer without thinking it over a great deal. All 5 have been relatively poor compared to last season.

Belerin has come through and has rightly nailed that place - he's been terrific. I don't know if Chambers injured or not? As it's odd their £16m signing is not even on the bench (great fee by the way). But as with all of our 'defectors' it is certainly a sign that the grass is not greener what so ever. I saw some quotes from Clyne today regarding that he's happy to stay, time will tell if that's PR guff or not, but you'd think that the lack of success the other players have had since leaving may play on his mind a bit. It's not like we're an horrific club playing at a rubbish level - we're still competing at the top end.

Belerin has come through and has rightly nailed that place - he's been terrific. I don't know if Chambers injured or not? As it's odd their £16m signing is not even on the bench (great fee by the way). But as with all of our 'defectors' it is certainly a sign that the grass is not greener what so ever. I saw some quotes from Clyne today regarding that he's happy to stay, time will tell if that's PR guff or not, but you'd think that the lack of success the other players have had since leaving may play on his mind a bit. It's not like we're an horrific club playing at a rubbish level - we're still competing at the top end.

I don't think Wenger bought Chambers as a RB, if he'd wanted a RB he'd have kept Jenkinson there instead of loaning him to West Ham. Wenger thought he could make a ball playing CB out of Chambers...he got it wrong, the lad was a disaster at CB from day 1.

This must be how it was. Was always a risky strategy IMO with this summer being potentially damaging to our central midfield with Morgan's expected departure and (please not) any interest in Big Vic.

How anyone knows what the situation was, is a bit of a mystery. Seems that it might be the tweets from his gobby father. Correct me if I am wrong, but his father was still gobbing off about no contract when there was in fact an offer on the table.

How anyone knows what the situation was, is a bit of a mystery. Seems that it might be the tweets from his gobby father. Correct me if I am wrong, but his father was still gobbing off about no contract when there was in fact an offer on the table.

was there.? fact?

lets be honest, none of us have any idea what happens behind closed doors.

what is a fact, we let a very good CM go for next to nothing, now we are having to play our Best CB in midfield (why, I do not know)....

cork has found his scoring boots too.

such a poor decision by the club IMO

was there.? fact?

Koeman said there was when his father was yapping on.

Urrr, that's what I just said.

what is a fact, we let a very good CM go for next to nothing, now we are having to play our Best CB in midfield (why, I do not know)....

Disagree with you on this. He was good, but not "very good". We also didn't let him leave for next to nothing. If you listen to his father again, then you might think so, but most other sources state £3-3.5m

Are you mad? He's scored 1 goal since he left us.

We are all entitled to our opinions I guess. Personally on footballing matters, I'll go with the club over you.

Koeman said there was when his father was yapping on.

Urrr, that's what I just said.

Disagree with you on this. He was good, but not "very good". We also didn't let him leave for next to nothing. If you listen to his father again, then you might think so, but most other sources state £3-3.5m

Are you mad? He's scored 1 goal since he left us.

We are all entitled to our opinions I guess. Personally on footballing matters, I'll go with the club over you.

didnt he go for £1.8m- rising to £3m (how much of that initial fee is add-ons)

He has scored more than our other midfielders this season...hasnt he?

better than JWP at the mo

we could do with a good player like him in our side IMO

we should have offered him a contract last season...or in the summer

but hey ho, the club are beyond criticism I guess

Edited by Batman

but hey ho, the club are beyond criticism I guess

Why is it the club's fault? He was told he was a squad player and not automatic first 11, he wanted to be in the first 11 in a team, so he's now at Swansea. It's not difficult. What is the point in keeping someone who wants to progress when we can't offer him that?

Granted, he's doing okay at Swansea, but we couldn't him what he wanted. Simple as that.

Why is it the club's fault? He was told he was a squad player and not automatic first 11, he wanted to be in the first 11 in a team, so he's now at Swansea. It's not difficult. What is the point in keeping someone who wants to progress when we can't offer him that?

Granted, he's doing okay at Swansea, but we couldn't him what he wanted. Simple as that.

because we should have just said NO to selling him

not when we never really replaced him either

we kept schneiderlin when it was clear we could not offer what he wanted...not worked out too badly

just my opinion. I felt that at the time and can't see any reason to change that

we kept schneiderlin when it was clear we could not offer what he wanted...not worked out too badly

just my opinion. I felt that at the time and can't see any reason to change that

The impression I get is we don't pay a decent wage to make players not mind so much not starting every week.

The thinking was that his contract was expiring in the summer and a few million pounds was better than nothing and that midfield was not a current weakness such that he was necessary. This was an entirely rational decision--even though we could have used him at various times since when injuries or suspensions kicked in.

was there.? fact?

Another strange one ;)

You rate Cork and his scoring boots and think we should have increased our offer, yet slate likes of Mane as waste of money. Cork is decent but limited player. Reliable in his work rate but plays himself into trouble more than he should and doesn't offer enough at either end of the pitch to make him stand out. He was only likely to be back up to MS and VW as they are significantly better.

Maybe HR would match him already if had regular game time??

His attacking flair and scoring boots you rave about?

He has 1 goal and no assists for Swansea.

Your waste of money Mane 7 goals, 2 assists, 5 times more key passes per game.

James ward prowse 1 goal, 6 assists and again 5 times more key passes per game.

I liked cork, and think he would be good squad player if we got into Europe , but he turned down staying as a squad player.

So what did the club do wrong?

Unless you think he should start ahead of MS or VW?

Think everyone knew at the time what a poor bit of business letting Corky go was, but he wanted to play and wasn't guaranteed that here. Fair play to him but we should have done everything to keep him. He is brilliant at what he does, and better than Gerrard and Henderson at playing that deeper role. Such an underrated player.

Just look how Jason Puncheon is giving United havoc. Compare the likes of Elia and Djuricic and what we had in Jason Puncheon. Now wonder Jack Cork refused to stay t the club. Both he and Puncheon were/are streaks superior to the trash loans Koeman brought in last January

Elsewhere I wrote to Luke Shaw the night before he signed for United warning him a move would result in very dark period in his future. Such a shame, despite him reaping in a fortune for being a nobody who's always injured

Just look how Jason Puncheon is giving United havoc. Compare the likes of Elia and Djuricic and what we had in Jason Puncheon. Now wonder Jack Cork refused to stay t the club. Both he and Puncheon were/are streaks superior to the trash loans Koeman brought in last January

Elsewhere I wrote to Luke Shaw the night before he signed for United warning him a move would result in very dark period in his future. Such a shame, despite him reaping in a fortune for being a nobody who's always injured

Puncheon wanted to go for personal family reasons.

ie he likes living near London and not in Southampton, he also thought that he was treated abominally by Adkin's sidekick but that probably isn't public knowledge.

I thought it was Pochettino who agreed to him leaving, n'est pas? I quoted him as a player we had along with Jack Cork who were far better than Elia or Djuricic

As expected, one of the reasons QPR got relegated was.....

5: Loss of Redknapp

Harry Redknapp stepping down as manager early in February hit the club hard.

Chris Ramsey was a willing replacement but lacked Redknapp’s experience at this level to steer the club away from the danger zone. He was also given limited time to do it.

Of course it was, of course.

Chris Ramsey was a willing replacement but lacked Redknapp’s experience at this level to steer the club away from the danger zone. He was also given limited time to do it.

Yeah, f'sure

What the hell. He already took them down once before.

Why do the media still lick his balls?

What the hell. He already took them down once before.

See, the first time wasn't his fault though. F'sure. He had to deal with a lot and did the best he could in such a short space of time. The way he got them promoted the 2nd year, limping over the line in the play offs, despite having the most expensive ever NPC squad, was a thing of beauty. What a manager.

Hate the way he's worshiped by the media. He is nothing but a washed up old man with dodgy knees.

I guess because they understand that Arry relies on his dog, and thats what his dog does.

Redcrapp is not just a top reason for Rangers being relegated but he is responsible in many ways for what might turn out to be the demise of what used to be a decent little club. They are now in financial meltdown and may not even be permitted to play in the FL next season. But he will not be held responsible by the media luvvies.

'Arry blames QPR relegation on lack of investment!

http://mirr.im/1QB0x4P

He really believes this **** as well.

Maybe if he actually managed a team correctly, they'd actually manage to achieve something. His idea of management is to buy lots of experienced pro's, put them together and let them play. If they can't get results then it's nothing wrong with him, f'sure.

Not really a "defector" but I notice that Gaston hasn't been included in the Uruguay preliminary 27 for the Copa America. Now that could be prejudicial to us if we had any remaining illusions about selling him (or even loaning him) to another English club except Hull.