Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Everton or Spurs.

This would seem more likely,and of the two I suspect Spurs may have too many midfield options already to need him.

Of all the players to have left though he is certainly one I'd love back at Saints.Probably not going to happen though.

The combination of Mane and Lallana is lethal. It's a shame we never saw them play together for us. Liverpool could win the league with a team nearly half made up of ex-Saints players.

Probably best you moved on. Peoples obsession over players that have left isn't healthy.

Rickie lambert scored 2 for Cardiff today hope he goes out on a high

I was pleased to see that as well.

Although am I odd to read this fro the dreary BBC, which annoyed me? 'Former Liverpool striker' FFS!

"Cardiff City came from behind to stun Rotherham at the New York Stadium thanks to a Rickie Lambert double.

The former Liverpool striker scored twice in five minutes to ease the pressure on boss Paul Trollope."

I was pleased to see that as well.

Although am I odd to read this fro the dreary BBC, which annoyed me? 'Former Liverpool striker' FFS!

"Cardiff City came from behind to stun Rotherham at the New York Stadium thanks to a Rickie Lambert double.

The former Liverpool striker scored twice in five minutes to ease the pressure on boss Paul Trollope."

Rickies stats for today

RICKIE LAMBERT STATS v ROTHERHAM UNITED AWAY

4 chances created

15 headers won

2 shots on target

2 goals

Fair play to him.

I love the BBC's report.....

Cardiff City came from behind to stun Rotherham at the New York Stadium thanks to a Rickie Lambert double.

The former Liverpool striker scored twice in five minutes to ease the pressure on boss Paul Trollope

I loved 3 hours ago when Bateman posted it.

The combination of Mane and Lallana is lethal. It's a shame we never saw them play together for us. Liverpool could win the league with a team nearly half made up of ex-Saints players.

Adam Lallana had a goal and two assists, earns him man of the match yesterday. Lallana has now scored four goals in his past eight league appearances

Sadio Mane has had a hand in six goals in six games for the Reds this season in all competitions (three goals, three assists).

Actually, the only one I like to see how he does is Pelle. Those in PL, then I agree with you apart from making interesting observations like the Arsenal Liverpool game and the scorers. Those saying what could have been really do need to move on.

You've posted 250x on this thread - but you've "moved on" sure, sure :)

No harm in wandering what if - is there?

Sure you can wonder. You can even wander if you want. Especially about the players that have just left. But the likes of Lallana, well he left over 2 years ago. Schadenfreude aside, as in football that is amusing, wondering what players who left over 2 seasons ago might have done, is somewhat pointless. You can look back if you want, but looking forward is usually better.

Sure you can wonder. You can even wander if you want. Especially about the players that have just left. But the likes of Lallana, well he left over 2 years ago. Schadenfreude aside, as in football that is amusing, wondering what players who left over 2 seasons ago might have done, is somewhat pointless. You can look back if you want, but looking forward is usually better.

Yesterday is dead, tomorrow is yet to come, BUT today is yours!! Don't waste it :)

Yesterday is dead, tomorrow is yet to come, BUT today is yours!! Don't waste it :)

You still in santorini? In which case may I suggest you might find something better to do than spend all day on here ... Remember, today is yours. Don't waste it.

I think for some its a kind of self pity...

I've never regarded Rickie Lambert as a defector because his Saints' career was drawing to a close and the fee offered was arguably, more than he was worth, but this thread seems the best place to post a comment.

Its always sad to see a player who has had an excellent career, hanging on as a squad player or slipping down the league structure. The Liverpool move that Rickie hoped would be a dream way to end his career proved to be a disappointment with very little game time followed by the sell on to WBA. That was another move that didn't fulfill expectations and led to his going on loan to Cardiff, now struggling near the bottom of the Championship. Maybe he would have done better to hang up his boots once it was clear West Brom wouldn't be using him but perhaps another year's salary was a factor. In this evenings match, Rickie was injured and substituted early in Cardiff's home match against fellow strugglers, Derby, which Cardiff went on to lose 2-0.

Seeing how the SFC found a suitable position for Kelvin Davis perhaps something similar would have been done for Rickie given the exceptional role he played in the rise from L1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and hopefully the injury tonight isn't serious, but it is a shame that Rickie made that decision to leave Southampton.

I've never regarded Rickie Lambert as a defector because his Saints' career was drawing to a close and the fee offered was arguably, more than he was worth, but this thread seems the best place to post a comment.

Its always sad to see a player who has had an excellent career, hanging on as a squad player or slipping down the league structure. The Liverpool move that Rickie hoped would be a dream way to end his career proved to be a disappointment with very little game time followed by the sell on to WBA. That was another move that didn't fulfill expectations and led to his going on loan to Cardiff, now struggling near the bottom of the Championship. Maybe he would have done better to hang up his boots once it was clear West Brom wouldn't be using him but perhaps another year's salary was a factor. In this evenings match, Rickie was injured and substituted early in Cardiff's home match against fellow strugglers, Derby, which Cardiff went on to lose 2-0.

Seeing how the SFC found a suitable position for Kelvin Davis perhaps something similar would have been done for Rickie given the exceptional role he played in the rise from L1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and hopefully the injury tonight isn't serious, but it is a shame that Rickie made that decision to leave Southampton.

Think players like Rickie will worry less about going out at the the top rather than maximising earnings in a short career.

If I was pro footballer I'd carry on until nobody wanted to pay me.

He was IIRC working in a Beetroot factory at one point, he's since become a Saints Legend, scored plenty of Premier league goals, got capped and scored for England, scored in all 4 English leagues and appeared at World Cup.

Not sure he's too worried about playing in the Championship at 34, especially as it's one of the most watched leagues in the world anyway even for a second tier. He's achieved more than he probably ever thought he would when he was released from Blackpool.

I think that it would have been better named "ex-Saints Watch". Defectors is too negative and, as you say, full of self-pity.

In spite of the fact that you seem keen to start a personal feud with me, I agree with you about this, Angelman. Nearly all of the past Saints players we have good memories of, like Mike Channon, Terry Paine, Ron Davies, Alan Ball, Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Steve Moran and Rickie Lambert, at some stage became ex-Saints, some of them with Pompey, with very few exceptions like Le Tissier. Just because one of our best players is sold to another club doesn't mean it's obligatory to either completely erase him from your memeory or hate him forever.

He'll be at Tottenham in the summer, if not in January...

I'm not sure they'd want him. They are serious title challengers nowadays and are well stocked with defensive midfielders. If he's not considered good enough at Man United, I doubt he'll be good enough for Spurs. Everton might take him but we are the right level club for him. It's unlikely his pride would let him come back here though. If Everton don't take him, he'll end up somewhere like West Brom.

But, Wanyama, who was underrated by many of our fans, is having a superb season at Spurs. "Wanyama never gave the City attackers a moment’s peace." "Victor Wanyama – Superb display from the Kenyan destroyer who is fast becoming a fans favourite."

I'm not sure they'd want him. They are serious title challengers nowadays and are well stocked with defensive midfielders. If he's not considered good enough at Man United, I doubt he'll be good enough for Spurs. Everton might take him but we are the right level club for him. It's unlikely his pride would let him come back here though. If Everton don't take him, he'll end up somewhere like West Brom.

But, Wanyama, who was underrated by many of our fans, is having a superb season at Spurs. "Wanyama never gave the City attackers a moment’s peace." "Victor Wanyama – Superb display from the Kenyan destroyer who is fast becoming a fans favourite."

They were saying that about Morgan after 5 games too. Same with Adrian Mutu and El Hadj Diouff. As with Mané, let's wait until the end of the season before deciding he's a world beater.

This. Whilst everyone calls for an attacker, someone to compete with Romeu is what I really want!

It would be difficult to drop romeu after his start to the season. I was gutted when morgan left, but why would he want to warm our bench? And presumably we wouldn't be able to offer him any higher wages than we offered him before he left when we were trying to get him onto a new contract. If the money wasn't good enough then it probably won't be good enough now.