BBC Article - The inside story of the great Southampton sell-off

Donatello

TBH and couldn't give a f uck why, how or who is to blame anymore what is done is done. Time to move on for me and support the team that are here now in whatever shape that is. New players are starting to come in, I'm really starting to warm to Koeman, and I've enjoyed the last two pre-season games. Sooner the season starts and I can just concentrate on the football the better hopeful this summer will soon just be a bad memory and we can build a fresh squad of players who ,at least for now, want to be at saints.

Totally agree. This repetition of the same old tat is becoming boring. The discontented elements of greedy bastard players have left for their dream teams, whose badges they will be kissing instead of ours, we have screwed them royally over the fees and can rebuild a team with players who want to be here.

Totally agree. This repetition of the same old tat is becoming boring. The discontented elements of greedy bastard players have left for their dream teams, whose badges they will be kissing instead of ours, we have screwed them royally over the fees and can rebuild a team with players who want to be here.

Yes but the media love in with Liverpool will never say that they massively over paid (to me by about £10m but what do I know) for 1 of our players, and over paid for another. They will focus on the £4m they paid for Lambert, which I believe doesn't include add ons. Same with United. The press seem to do nothing but Liverpool/United stories (positive) along with the negative ones about us. I just wonder when they are done with the Schadenfreude whether they will look at things properly and leave us alone.

Saintnicoolas

Just chill . There are some posters on here you have to learn to ignore

Even when someone else quotes them

It's what makes this forum funny , unique and at times reflecting

the problems out in Palestine .

Mind you I would advise you to give Richmond and alpine a wide berth otherwise they could lead you to heavy drinking

Going off track a bit now re the academy

Lowe said we sold the lodge which we did and that had an impact in the academy

But can anyone confirm we now have better digs and facilities for our academy players ?

The players now live with local families ....like it was back in the old days.

There is so much wrong with that article it's bordering on funny.

The parents of one 15-year-old player have already decided they no longer want their son to stay on at the club amid the uncertainty.

That says more about the stupidity of the parents than anything else. "Oh noes, the players from the academy are getting huge moves for mega money in the Premier League...we don't want that for our son!"

That says more about the stupidity of the parents than anything else. "Oh noes, the players from the academy are getting huge moves for mega money in the Premier League...we don't want that for our son!"

Our son just got released............. there is still some money to be made in a story though.

The article is missing one important element - relevant quotes.

The only quotes used are those already in the public domain, and from Nick Illingsworth.

Otherwise, there is nothing to legitimise it or - as somebody earlier pointed out - to give it veracity.

It is a typical piece of Ben Smith journalism. On the surface it looks authoritative and based on inside knowledge but when examined closely, it is mainly supposition and clever re-working of the known facts.

No doubt, he is trying to convince the reader that he has contacts deep inside the club who have provided his information but the lack of attributed quotes completely undermines this.

And while some of this might be new to the wider public, there is nothing in this piece that any competent member of this forum could not have written based on the whispers and gossip they have heard.

Ben Smith is not liked by many of his BBC colleagues who dislike his style of tabloidese, hit-and-run, ambush journalism.

Despite what one or two think on here, the BBC does pride itself on the rigour of its journalism and it's inculcated into BBC journos to take pride in the fact that people trust the BBC more than any other organisation, and his colleagues don't like the way Smith threatens to undermine that.

The true story of Saints great summer sell-off needs to be told, and one day it will be. But this is certainly not it.

Didn't Guan say the conspiracy was basically BS - said that a lot of the 'negative' press speculation was actually due to the club not reciprocating and providing greater access after the press had initially printed some quite positive stories.

And, of course, all those 'negative' stories came true - that's just the press doing it's job in my book.

Don't tell Viking Warrior though. He still thinks Adam Blackmore has a personal vendetta and that we must all be friendly or related to him whenever anyone cites or defends him

Think you'll find a certain Ben Smith and Neil Ashton are definately 'Cortese puppets'/'Sticking it in Cortese's bumhole for loads of money!' but just those two. You can tell as articles from those two are generally correct and have more information than most but are always focusing on the negative aspects and never any of the positives. Cretins the both of them.

Edited by Saint IQ

Anyone know this 15 year old with idiots for parents?

Apparently it's a 15 year old who's close to breaking into the first team.

Those parents need to worry that their son even makes it into the first team before worrying about the quality of coach and incoming players of aforementioned first team.

My take away from the article, someone wants Jos?! Well for a fiver and a case of beer I can have him on the first plane heading east.

It states that Shaw asked for a move after the game, would have KRueger known that as he did his interview telling us no interest or offers?

Definitely not and he definitely didn't talk to Spurs officials about our players in Toronto last week. Definitely.

Another point the article makes is that the transfer fees we are being quoted are inflated. So that negative counters the positive of the good business we made. It seems to me that that underpins the argument of being foolish not buying players before you sold. I'm sure a agreement to sell could have quietly been made while we went and got replacements.

Wah, the club didn't talk to me, wah, even though I'm on England duty and still have 4 years left on my contract wah.

Wah, they sent me a contract extension in writing, wah. Why couldn't tell call me to tell me they were going to send me a contract extension in writing, wah.

Wah, my 15yr old son is feeling unsettled because all these academy products are being sold to CL clubs, wah.

Feck off the lot of you, you whinging entitled 4rseholes.

Its funny how certain posters on the one hand are lauding Blackmore as a rellable source of information, yet dismissing that many Of the negative stories came from Cortese, when Blackmore was one the three journalists who claimed he was the origin. Just another day in mongboard land.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Turkish

Just an excessively negative article really, despite what has been a very traumatic and difficult summer. Feels like Smith is trying to land blows in places we haven't been kicked before, like with the academy, certain players being linked with moves away (Jos ffs!), and some renewed attempt at provoking uncertainty over KL's intentions without ever providing a reason why. Lots of contradictions and groping around in the dark for theories (Shaw and Lallana told the club they had no intention of playing for us again/board didn't subsequently do enough to keep them; KL has ended her association with PR company indicating confidence in how club is being run/ no one knows her intentions + old reference about her wanting to sell up) but no real answers, or objective ones anyway. Some of it rings true and not many can say that they can have confidence in the new boards communication skills but I'm getting a little weary of reading Smith's brand of Cortese - worshipping rumour - mongering bile. It just seems so transparent you can imagine Nicola standing there, with an arm draped on Ben's shoulder, as he merrily slaps away on his keyboard.

Wah, the club didn't talk to me, wah, even though I'm on England duty and still have 4 years left on my contract wah.

Wah, they sent me a contract extension in writing, wah. Why couldn't tell call me to tell me they were going to send me a contract extension in writing, wah.

Wah, my 15yr old son is feeling unsettled because all these academy products are being sold to CL clubs, wah.

This!

Come on, we all know in life people come out with all sort of spurious excuses to make themselves look better. No one thinks disloyalty and greed are traits to be admired, so its far easier to turn the blame on another party. Clubs rarely act petulantly and run to the press blabbing, so they are an easy target, especially as the press put players on pedestals to sell stories, but never a board of directors. That is seemingly only a retrospective view on Cortese. When he was in situ, I can't recall the press loving him. Maybe he is the second coming??

I am in total agreement with this.

Thanks Gemmel re living with families

Seems more sensible to do that

There was a bad influence and a small clique formed at the lodge where the students didn't train or study as they should. Around the time Nile Ranger was there I believe, there was a bit of a clear out IIRC!

A far more balanced view than that BBC tripe.

- The fact that it is "inside" suggests he has spoken to someone who is (or was) at the club.

- The article is glowing in its comments about lallana.

- It paints a picture that, if i was lallana, I would want to be known (or believed).

- The details get much less clear about the period after the departure of lallana (or at least only then makes points that are generally known anyway)

I think we can guess who ben smith has been on the phone to.

I guess I find it hard to believe that after the length of time that lallana was here, he just said "alright chaps, I've heard liverpool are interested and I'm wanting to go" and then the board sold him without another word and gave him short shrift on the OS.

Something else happened, and whoever is the "inside" person for this piece doesn't want it known.

Crony journalism, written to curry favour with a disenchanted footballer probably in the expectation of a supply of future stories. The story panders to the worst excesses of the modern day player totally ignoring the practical realities of running a football club. I really would not expect it from a BBC journalist.

Yes,they stay with local families.I looked into this a couple of years ago as my youngest son and girlfriend were moving out .They were advertising for new families, regular payment for carers and two season tickets sounded like a good deal.My eldest son decided to move back home to save for a mortgage ,so we did not have an assessment meeting .What I do remember was that they were very strict about not having alcohol around the house .

Ben Smith is very anti saints and exagerates/negative spins everything... I mean come on;

"But by signing three players, Graziano Pelle, Dusan Tadic and Ryan Bertrand, for a combined potential outlay of £30m, the hope is he will not have to rely on them."

- No its not, its £20m and a free loan... and no way will we sign Bertrand for £10m!

"The parents of one 15-year-old player have already decided they no longer want their son to stay on at the club amid the uncertainty."

-No evidence, no quotes, is it real, what is the context etc etc... utter negative spin bollarks!

The whole article is "Cortese was marvelous", everything else is ****e... Back to his stirring ways personally. He wouldn't even need to put a spin on a lot of things, but because he does he loses all credibility tbh.

To be honest, we all know which camp has fed that don't we.

It's so predictable that it's actually becoming boring. Club positive statement....a day or 2 later, another article writing all the issues. 3rd time so far this summer that they've gone hand in hand like that.

Well said. It makes me laugh that the some of players are whinging that there was no communication from the club over the summer. Some were on World Cup duty and should have been concentrating on that, the others were on holiday. I don't know about you but if I was on holiday I wouldn't want my boss ringing up every five minutes to tell me the latest gossip and going on. The only two that might have cause for complaint are cork and Fonte as they'd be waiting to hear about their contract situation, but even then they have a year left and surely they'd understand that the priority was to sort out the management situation and let them enjoy their break, that can be sorted out on their return.

As for complaining about getting a contract offer in writing, isnt this totally normal? Who had ever heard people commiting to nothing more than a verbal agreement?

It's absolutely pathetic.