BBC Article - The inside story of the great Southampton sell-off

Donatello

Fair summary... Most of us could have written the same

Well, I certainly wasn't aware that Lallana and Shaw weren't spoken to formally. Perhaps others were (aware).

Edit: And the article seems to suggest that Lallana's discontent was the catalyst for other exits, rather than, say, Pochettino's/Cortese's departure (although I'm sure they were all factors).

Edited by Donatello

Just a bit boring now, its been done to death.

If the Mum of a 15 year old thinks there is a better Academy for hsr son to play at then fine. But surely the sales show the opposite, if they want to get to the top then what better place than a club that gives young players a chance then sells them on?

I think Ben Smith does still have a bit of an agenda.

Plus, hopefully Hooiveld will take the German club up on their offer, I'm sure its Bayern or Dortmund!

Well, I certainly wasn't aware that Lallana and Shaw weren't spoken to formally. Perhaps others were (aware).

Edit: And the article seems to suggest that Lallana's discontent was the catalyst for other exits, rather than, say, Pochettino's/Cortese's departure (although I'm sure they were all factors).

Given his rush for thirty pieces of scouse silver (and I say that as a fan who supported him and ranted on about his talent from when he was a kid) perhaps it was Lallana they spoke to !

Llallana demanded respect and admiration

I don't believe that , all that badge kissing and telling us he wanted to end his career with us , what tosh

I am aware that a board member did procrastinate at one point but I suspect that was not allow llalana to speak to Liverpool

There were others in the team who gelled the team together. , fonte , kelvin but not Adam

I will not change my mind about llallana . Yes he did some good things for us but he has severed any respect I had for him

Typical BBC tosh

Nothing original . Any off us could have written a summary not too dissimilar

Maybe whoever wrote that plagiarised the forums views

I forgot to check who the author of the beeb article was .

Agreed, hardly deep investigative reporting.

I don't know this Ben Smith fellow, but I've seen him mentioned numerous times on this board as Cortese's mouthpiece. It's really a special trait of sports journalism that you can write whatever you like and attribute no sources to it. For instance, how does he know this to be true?

Lallana had been the glue which had held the team together. In the dressing room, he was the most popular, a leader who demanded respect and admiration. He joined the club as a 12-year-old and was a key figure as Southampton fought their way back from League One. When word spread that Lallana wanted out, that he was angered by his treatment, others began to question their own futures.

I think people need to stop blaming reports on cortese

Not so long ago, all the rumours in the press were nothing but cortese stirring it. Now after 5 players have left (to clubs they were linked to) people still think this are the works of a bloke who has nothing more to do with us. Odd

Have you guys actually read the article in full? There's new information in there, as far as I'm concerned.

New info? It just puts a negative spin on the whole thing as usual. Shaw and Lallana clearly wanted out whether we tried to keep them or not (and Lovren for that matter). Nothing about the lack of loyalty or commitment from the players to the club who did so much for them.

I don't know this Ben Smith fellow, but I've seen him mentioned numerous times on this board as Cortese's mouthpiece. It's really a special trait of sports journalism that you can write whatever you like and attribute no sources to it. For instance, how does he know this to be true?

Lallana had been the glue which had held the team together. In the dressing room, he was the most popular, a leader who demanded respect and admiration. He joined the club as a 12-year-old and was a key figure as Southampton fought their way back from League One. When word spread that Lallana wanted out, that he was angered by his treatment, others began to question their own futures.

Again, Ben Smith isn't actually mentioned as the author of the piece (he probably is, mind - although, he does tend to take credit for his articles). But you're right, without sources, pinch of salt territory.

So basically Adam is responsible for the whole mess......:lol:

I don't know this Ben Smith fellow, but I've seen him mentioned numerous times on this board as Cortese's mouthpiece.

If there is any doubt about that being true at least at the time he was with the club and as he made his exit, read this piece. For context, this was published when Pochettino was first linked with Spurs after AVB got the sack in December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25420261

Just had a look who wrote that

Wasn't it Ben Smith who flew to Italy and had an exclusive interview with NC

then it says it all really , Shame smith didn't approach the club directors for their side of the equation

And the likes of lallana and lovrens agents having a pop , as well as NC

Just had a look who wrote that

Wasn't it Ben Smith who flew to Italy and had an exclusive interview with NC

then it says it all really , Shame smith didn't approach the club directors for their side of the equation

And the likes of lallana and lovrens agents having a pop , as well as NC

Yeah, it's been updated to include Ben Smith as the author now.

I think people need to stop blaming reports on cortese

Not so long ago, all the rumours in the press were nothing but cortese stirring it. Now after 5 players have left (to clubs they were linked to) people still think this are the works of a bloke who has nothing more to do with us. Odd

Didn't Guan say the conspiracy was basically BS - said that a lot of the 'negative' press speculation was actually due to the club not reciprocating and providing greater access after the press had initially printed some quite positive stories.

And, of course, all those 'negative' stories came true - that's just the press doing it's job in my book.

Don't tell Viking Warrior though. He still thinks Adam Blackmore has a personal vendetta and that we must all be friendly or related to him whenever anyone cites or defends him.

TBH and couldn't give a f uck why, how or who is to blame anymore what is done is done. Time to move on for me and support the team that are here now, in whatever shape that is. New players are starting to come in, I'm really starting to warm to Koeman, and I've enjoyed the last two pre-season games. Sooner the season starts and I can just concentrate on the football the better hopeful this summer will soon just be a bad memory and we can build a fresh squad of players who ,at least for now, want to be at saints.

Edited by doddisalegend

Just a long summary really. We knew most of that already. Things that stand out are:

The club not talking to Shaw and Adam (but does not mention where this info came from), says that not once did the club talk to the players, but they were at the WC, we all remember it well. I think the club wanted the money for those two, it was just about getting as much as poss. Why hold talks when you can make a sale?

Adam being the leader of the group? Hmmm, not too sure about that? It always seems to be Fonte but maybe Im wrong there.

The funniest bit is this 'When word spread that Lallana wanted out, that he was angered by his treatment'.... so he wanted out then was angered that the club did not beg him to stay?

Jos to Germany? Anyone know anything about that?

This bit is stupid... 'Perhaps most worrying of all, is the fear the discontent might spread to the club's highly regarded academy. The parents of one 15-year-old player have already decided they no longer want their son to stay on at the club amid the uncertainty. ' ... Why would a parent not want their kid at Saints? They bring them trough and then move to champ league clubs,,, its the perfect place for youngsters!

Shurlock

Re Don't tell Viking Warrior though. He still thinks Adam Blackmore has a personal vendetta and that we must all be friendly or related to him whenever anyone cites or defends him.

I retracted my impression of Blackmore some weeks back . If you care to check . I got it wrong with him , was just hacked of at the time with most journos

But he is okay and his interview the other day with Ralph was very good

"Perhaps most worrying of all, is the fear the discontent might spread to the club's highly regarded academy. The parents of one 15-year-old player have already decided they no longer want their son to stay on at the club amid the uncertainty. The question now, is where will it all end? When will it all stop?"

What a load of absolute nonsense! Parent:" balls to this, there's no way I want my son to stay here, the young lads end up getting massive contracts at Champions League clubs".

If the parents quoted there are real(99.9% guaranteed made up) they are as thick as Fudge. The BBC are supposed to be above this blatant hyperbole aren' t they?

Just a long summary really. We knew most of that already. Things that stand out are:

The club not talking to Shaw and Adam (but does not mention where this info came from), says that not once did the club talk to the players, but they were at the WC, we all remember it well. I think the club wanted the money for those two, it was just about getting as much as poss. Why hold talks when you can make a sale?

Adam being the leader of the group? Hmmm, not too sure about that? It always seems to be Fonte but maybe Im wrong there.

The funniest bit is this 'When word spread that Lallana wanted out, that he was angered by his treatment'.... so he wanted out then was angered that the club did not beg him to stay?

Jos to Germany? Anyone know anything about that?

This bit is stupid... 'Perhaps most worrying of all, is the fear the discontent might spread to the club's highly regarded academy. The parents of one 15-year-old player have already decided they no longer want their son to stay on at the club amid the uncertainty. ' ... Why would a parent not want their kid at Saints? They bring them trough and then move to champ league clubs,,, its the perfect place for youngsters!

Exactly!!! The quality of the academy has been there for many years. If I had a son I'd want him there.

I thought the exact same thing: Saints is the place to be for a young player, if you want first team football followed by an inflated transfer to a bigger club ;)

Shurlock

Re Don't tell Viking Warrior though. He still thinks Adam Blackmore has a personal vendetta and that we must all be friendly or related to him whenever anyone cites or defends him.

I retracted my impression of Blackmore some weeks back . If you care to check . I got it wrong with him , was just hacked of at the time with most journos

But he is okay and his interview the other day with Ralph was very good

Fair enough VW :) There are very few decent and reliable journos out there, so Blackmore's definitely a valuable resource when we're all struggling to cut through the c**p and misinformation.