Your Top Five Albums Of All Time

Gemmel

Jeez there's one for the three in a row thread... Tell Me Why/After The Gold Rush/Only Love Can Break Your Heart or Only Love Can Break Your Heart/Southern Man/Till The Morning Comes or Don't Let It Bring You Down/Birds/When You Dance I Can Really Love.:lol:

I played that album every day for more than a year 1970/71.

Listen to "Live at Massey Hall". Superb.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jeez there's one for the three in a row thread... Tell Me Why/After The Gold Rush/Only Love Can Break Your Heart or Only Love Can Break Your Heart/Southern Man/Till The Morning Comes or Don't Let It Bring You Down/Birds/When You Dance I Can Really Love.:lol:

I played that album every day for more than a year 1970/71.

Me too. Well, maybe not every day - but a huge amount!

:)

Beach Boys - Sunflower

Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix

Paul Weller - Wild Wood

Dexys Midnight Runners - Don't Stand Me Down

Squeeze - Eastside Story

Good choice - apart from Pet Sounds, probably their best album. Overlooked and under-rated. Better than Surf's Up, the very successful LP that followed it.

I like Sunflower because it has contributions, both vocally and in terms of the songwriting, from all of the members whereas they didn't have as much input with Pet Sounds, especially Dennis.

I agree with you about Surf's Up. I like most of the songs but am not too keen on Student Demonstration Time.

I agree with you about Surf's Up. I like most of the songs but am not too keen on Student Demonstration Time.

But as a single track "Surfs Up" itself is IMO at the pinnacle of everything they ever did..."Columnated ruins domino" indeed.:)

Off topic but what the heck.;)

Edited by lifeintheslowlane

• 3 months later...

Marillion - Brave - The Brave tour was awesome and probably one of the most mesmerising gigs I've been to.

Vangelis - Soundtrack to Bladerunner - Recorded by Vangelis himself and released years after the film

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

Journey - Infinity

Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

This is seriously difficult as it could be a different 5 each day depending on how I'm feeling.

I would say that on a day to day basis I listen to generally heavier rock than most of this but all of the above are albums i would turn to if stuck for something to chose.

Would have like to get a BJH album in there - probably Eyes of the universe

Massive fan of Bon jovi but can't pick one and a bit disallusioned with their current status.

More recent loves are Within Temptation and Delain - but top 5 - I think not.

Think I missed this one. I'll try to avoid going for classics from before my era and pick out the ones that were of my time and meant something to me.

Giant Steps - The Boo Radleys

The Stone Roses

Hatful of Hollow - The Smiths

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys

The Bends -Radiohead

I know Hatful of Hollow is strictly a compilation, so probably shouldn't be allowed, but it was the only Smiths record I had at the time and completely changed music for me.

Giant Steps is in my opinion the greatest album ever made, but is largely an unknown classic. The band then went on to accidentally have a throwaway pop hit, which strangely enough caused them to implode. Giant Steps is a real journey of an album though and was completely out of nowhere.

stone Roses and Arctic Monkeys were big enough to speak for themselves, just albums full of incredible songwriting. I preferred The Bends to the more commonly lauded OK Computer, because for me, that was where they started to disappear up their own arses, rather than just make great songs.

I just couldn’t do 5, so here are a number of influential albums in my life:

ZZ Top - Eliminator: “She’s got legs. Knows how to use them”. ‘Nuff said Billy, ‘nuff said.

ZZ_Top_Eliminator_front.jpg

Radio Soulwax/2 Many DJ’s – As Heard on Radio Soulwax Part 2: Genius, genius album by the best mash-up DJ’s out there. If you have never listened to Soulwax/2 Many Dj’s, use this to pop your cherry, it really is one of the best albums out there.

51gQav0DOXL._SY300_.jpg

Pink Floyd – Wish you were here: Only ahead of DSOTM due to ‘Shine on You Crazy Diamond’. 27 minutes of wizardry.

WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden: Bought it from a charity shop when at College in 2000. Loved every minute of it. More proggy than any of their other albums, Di’Anno on vocals. Phantom of the Opera a clear highlight.

Iron_Maiden_-_Iron_Maiden.jpg

Roots Manuva – Run Come Save Me: Named after a Surrey-based tree removal company (or maybe that’s the other way round), Roots Manuva is THE single coolest man in British Hip Hop, and ‘Witness (1Hope)’ is one of the greatest Hip-Hop tracks – period.

download.php?type=download&image=41531&section=2

King Crimson – Court of the Crimson King: “Cat’s foot, iron claw, neuro-surgeons scream for more, at paranoia’s poison door, 21st Century Schizoid Man”.

cover_493961992009.jpg

Leftfield – Leftism: The greatest house album of all time. Bass that’ll make ceilings fall-down (as has happened twice at the Brixton Academy). Got plaster in my pint. Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned more.

Leftfield-Leftism_(album_cover).jpg

Chemical Brothers – Dig Your Own Hole: The album that made them famous. Block Rockin’ Beat, Setting Sun etc. Great tracks, great vocals, just great.

715Et2oXVIL._SL1300_.jpg

Notable mentions to:

Radiohead – The Bends

Blur – Blur

Ocean Colour Scene – Moseley Shoals

Muse - Absolution

A number of Pink Floyd albums

A number of Led Zeppelin albums

Toto – IV

Pulp – Different Class

Beastie Boys – Ill Communication or Hello Nasty

Metallica - …And Justice for all

Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine

I just couldn’t do 5, so here are a number of influential albums in my life:

ZZ Top - Eliminator: “She’s got legs. Knows how to use them”. ‘Nuff said Billy, ‘nuff said.

ZZ_Top_Eliminator_front.jpg

Radio Soulwax/2 Many DJ’s – As Heard on Radio Soulwax Part 2: Genius, genius album by the best mash-up DJ’s out there. If you have never listened to Soulwax/2 Many Dj’s, use this to pop your cherry, it really is one of the best albums out there.

51gQav0DOXL._SY300_.jpg

Pink Floyd – Wish you were here: Only ahead of DSOTM due to ‘Shine on You Crazy Diamond’. 27 minutes of wizardry.

WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden: Bought it from a charity shop when at College in 2000. Loved every minute of it. More proggy than any of their other albums, Di’Anno on vocals. Phantom of the Opera a clear highlight.

Iron_Maiden_-_Iron_Maiden.jpg

Roots Manuva – Run Come Save Me: Named after a Surrey-based tree removal company (or maybe that’s the other way round), Roots Manuva is THE single coolest man in British Hip Hop, and ‘Witness (1Hope)’ is one of the greatest Hip-Hop tracks – period.

download.php?type=download&image=41531§ion=2

King Crimson – Court of the Crimson King: “Cat’s foot, iron claw, neuro-surgeons scream for more, at paranoia’s poison door, 21st Century Schizoid Man”.

cover_493961992009.jpg

Leftfield – Leftism: The greatest house album of all time. Bass that’ll make ceilings fall-down (as has happened twice at the Brixton Academy). Got plaster in my pint. Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned more.

Leftfield-Leftism_(album_cover).jpg

Chemical Brothers – Dig Your Own Hole: The album that made them famous. Block Rockin’ Beat, Setting Sun etc. Great tracks, great vocals, just great.

715Et2oXVIL._SL1300_.jpg

Notable mentions to:

Radiohead – The Bends

Blur – Blur

Ocean Colour Scene – Moseley Shoals

Muse - Absolution

A number of Pink Floyd albums

A number of Led Zeppelin albums

Toto – IV

Pulp – Different Class

Beastie Boys – Ill Communication or Hello Nasty

Metallica - …And Justice for all

Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine

Let's do this again shall we?? Do you have a softer side...something that illuminates the soul...as well as the crotch.:lol:

I'll give them a look. I'm pretty sure my mum has a good selection of Joni Mitchell.

Listen to your mum...as we all know she knows best :)

If you're in touch with your emotions this could quite quite possibly reduce you to a blubbering wreck...it does me every time. For those who are unaware Astor Piazzolla was the Jimi Hendrix* of modern Tango.

*Poor analogy but a spectacular innovator.

Edited by lifeintheslowlane

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Foxtrot - Genesis-

Led Zeppelin 4 - Led Zeppelin

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

Radio Gnome Invisible - Gong

Shooting at the Moon - Kevin Ayers

6 is the new 5. ;)

Sadly, it's just been announced that Daevid Allen's cancer has returned and is inoperable.

It's incredibly difficult to pick just 5 (I suspect this was the OP's intention) and far too many of you have cheated!

Here are mine:

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Davey Graham - Folk Blues and Beyond

Gong - You

Crass - Feeding of the 5000

Woob - 1194

• 1 month later...