What to the board need to do to gain back the trust of the fans?

maysie

Obviously there are a few that still trust the board and fair play to them, but I think it is fair to say that a large section of the fan base have lost faith and my concern is that a few bad results at the start of the season could lead to the discontent spreading and becoming more vocal.

So my question is what do they need to do to regain this trust or is it beyond repair for some fans?

For me, I have no delusions of grandeur this season (or any to be honest - we're a provincial club with a limited fanbase), and 2-3 more signings will allow us to be competitive in this league, and that's enough for me. Am I accepting mediocrity? Maybe, but to me as long as I can go to the games with my Dad and brother, meet up with our mates, have a great day get a bit drunk and give most teams a good game then I'm happy.

For me they need to come out and state in no uncertain terms why so many players have been sold. Krueger has mentioned not wanting to keep a whole group of unhappy players, but that's not clear cut enough for me. Why were they all so unhappy? If it was because the previous ambitions we were running on were unsustainable, then tell us that. What the fans want more than anything is the truth, as that indicates respect.

To be honest I don't see a place for Krueger at the club. I'm much happier hearing Reed speak and whenever Krueger has spoken it's usually followed by something completely contradictory to what he's said. So I wouldn't be fussed to see him leave.

And I want Forster.

So to summarise -

Complete clarification of this summers transfer dealings.

Forster in, as well as a couple more.

And maybe a tidy up of the board room (I see we've hired yet another director).

As for your final point about accepting mediocrity, I've been at that point for months. Reason I'm so depressed about it is i've already paid the best part of a grand for said mediocrity. Yeah it's a great day out, but you could watch SSN and then have a great day at the dog track or something.

Well they haven't done a great deal to show that faith in them is well placed.

I'm just going to repeat the word patience. Any judgement or loss of faith right now is extremely premature.

5 games in with poor results and a thin looking squad after the window has closed, I could understand. But how can anyone accurately judge them yet?

I'd like to see them make it absolutely clear to the football world that we wont be pushed around and that we're not just making up the numbers. The way NC used to basically.

Ok they've sort of said that, but in a less convincing way by also talking about allowing players to leave as long as the price is right!

Actions will speak far louder than words now. Morgan and Jay Rod absolutely must not be allowed to leave, no matter how much money is offered (surely we've got enough now!), no matter what they tweet or say to the press (and they should face disciplinary action for saying anything derogatory), and even if they end up in the reserves. It is vital now that other clubs and our remaining players don't think we're happy to just roll over, hand over our best players and drop out of the division to make everyone elses lives easier.

Oh, and we need to sign 3 or 4 more decent players. Good luck with that Les!

Heated seats, gourmet pies, Peroni on tap delivered to me as soon as the half time whistle blows, by a scantily clad lovely. Free sedan chair to and from St Marys on match days.

Give me all that and they can bring back Scott Hiley and Paul Wotton for all I care.

Maysie

I'm not sure what you base your facts on that a large section of the fan base have list faith in the board

But I seriously believe you are wide of the mark .

But you have no facts on which to base your opinion either. A dissatisfied group certainly exists as indicated by comments in the press and elsewhere but the unknown is how representative that group is. Some evidence may be found when it is seen what impact there is on gates at St Mary's, although some fans will attend games despite a lack of faith in the Board because it is the club that they support not the Board, and they have already bought their STs.

If the Board do want to address a loss of confidence in them, the key would probably be honesty. When statements are made as to future intention, events will almost always show over time, whether those statements are carried through. For example, saying they will spend all the income from transfers on strengthening the team is something that fans will be able to judge based on which players are recruited and the fees involved. That may look somewhat simplistic as other factors such as wages and the FFP rules may be involved, but such issues can be taken into account when making public statements so that fans do not feel they are being lied to. Honesty would also need an admission of fault when mistakes become apparent, as a failure to admit error is a sure way to destroy confidence in decision makers. Unfortunately, that is tough if you never make a mistake and have no errors to admit.

One thing I've learnt over the years is that the SWF is not a reflection of the fan base opinion.

Most stuff on here never gets talked about by those sitting around me at St Marys, so OP, I would not worry about the board losing / gaining trust of the fan base, the majority couldn't give a sh*t !

One thing I've learnt over the years is that the SWF is not a reflection of the fan base opinion.

Most stuff on here never gets talked about by those sitting around me at St Marys, so OP, I would not worry about the board losing / gaining trust of the fan base, the majority couldn't give a sh*t !

True this. I have even heard a few around me talking about Saints Web. Usually involving the phrase: "...a few bellends on the interweb...".

Stop treating the fans like they're stupid.

Tell us the truth about why so many players have been sold.

Admit that the deals for Shaw and Lallana were agreed before the WC and that RK/LR had lied when he said there'd been no offers for any players.

Show some intent to move forward byspending some of the money that's come in on some proven quality!

I don't think anyone really knows whether a particularly large number of fans have lost trust in the board. Obviously there's some disgruntlement at the loss of a number of star players but they've been lured away by big money. Any board would have struggled to keep them but at least the current incumbents have negotiated large sums in return.

Can I suggest that it'll all come down to performances on the pitch? A poor start and there'll be disgruntlement. Anything other than that and people will just get on with supporting the players that do want to put on the red & white.

For me they need to come out and state in no uncertain terms why so many players have been sold. Krueger has mentioned not wanting to keep a whole group of unhappy players, but that's not clear cut enough for me. Why were they all so unhappy? If it was because the previous ambitions we were running on were unsustainable, then tell us that. What the fans want more than anything is the truth, as that indicates respect.

To be honest I don't see a place for Krueger at the club. I'm much happier hearing Reed speak and whenever Krueger has spoken it's usually followed by something completely contradictory to what he's said. So I wouldn't be fussed to see him leave.

And I want Forster.

So to summarise -

As for your final point about accepting mediocrity, I've been at that point for months. Reason I'm so depressed about it is i've already paid the best part of a grand for said mediocrity. Yeah it's a great day out, but you could watch SSN and then have a great day at the dog track or something.

I will have a go at answering some of these. To clarify I am not a member of the board...

1. Players were unhappy as they knew they could be paid 100k+ to play or have a very good chance of playing champions league football. Southampton 2014 cannot offer either of those things. It is evident that this was compounded by a change in board and some poor communication but that is secondary.

2. If, as seems likely, Forster is signed and a couple more then we are in a decent position. The remaining question is how they gel and we have a manager (appointed by the current board) who has a reputation to be able to do that.

3. The change in director was explained and is exactly that.

Back to the original question: trust will be regained by one thing, winning games. Provided no one expects us to better last season in the immediate future then it will be fine. NC under the old regime made some pretty unpopular decision. All are forgotten when games are being won.

For me they need to come out and state in no uncertain terms why so many players have been sold. Krueger has mentioned not wanting to keep a whole group of unhappy players, but that's not clear cut enough for me. Why were they all so unhappy?

It really is very simple. They wanted to move to big clubs for barrow loads of wonga.

You believe that there were other reasons if you like, but I suspect that most others will have concluded that this is the real reason for the players wanting to leave. The club allowing them to depart was for precisely the reasons stated, that they screwed the buying clubs for over-inflated prices and disposed of players who would have been disruptive to changing room morale had they stayed.

Not sure about what the Board need to do, but IMO some fans need to take note of things like these quotes from Jose Fonte in the Mirror article...

The players who left had shown great quality and the position we achieved in the table showed that.

I'm not surprised about the offers that arrived, but a bit disappointed and sad that so many players left. It wasn't the situation that the fans wanted, but that's football.

They were offers which were almost irrefutable and with clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United it's difficult for the players to say 'no'. We have to lift ourselves and carry on doing our work.

... and realise that it's ok to not be happy about the players leaving, but it doesn't automatically follow that we have been lied to or that the Board are 'incompetent' as many believe. "That's football".

I'd say they don't have to do anything. The ones who've decided they're selling the club will stick to that opinion and the ones who don't think they are don't need to hear anything.

This. As I've stated before the board never had a chance with some posters. There are some very good reasons why I trust the board and will continue to do so unless they properly renege on their promises - which I don't believe will happen.

Some good posts on this thread. Trust has got to be earned via honesty even if it is painful to hear, and given Krueger's last round of interviews it looks like this is the direction they are being forced to take - SFC fans can take it Ralph. Results are clearly key, but there has to be significant squad investment, not just to appease the fans but also to send a message to the media and wider football public. In sum, after a summer of nasty surprises, the Board should now be looking to deliver (and take credit) for a few nice ones!...

And I want Forster.

So to summarise -

How much more clarification do you need? The reason for the sales is as plain as the nose on your face, and has been explained more than once. I think the problem is that the sales have irked you and no amount of explanation is going to make you feel any better.

I'd say they don't have to do anything. The ones who've decided they're selling the club will stick to that opinion and the ones who don't think they are don't need to hear anything.

Unfortunately this is true I think. Those who think the club is being sold won't budge from that opinion now, despite what happens.

Obviously there are a few that still trust the board and fair play to them, but I think it is fair to say that a large section of the fan base have lost faith and my concern is that a few bad results at the start of the season could lead to the discontent spreading and becoming more vocal.

So my question is what do they need to do to regain this trust or is it beyond repair for some fans?

For me, I have no delusions of grandeur this season (or any to be honest - we're a provincial club with a limited fanbase), and 2-3 more signings will allow us to be competitive in this league, and that's enough for me. Am I accepting mediocrity? Maybe, but to me as long as I can go to the games with my Dad and brother, meet up with our mates, have a great day get a bit drunk and give most teams a good game then I'm happy.

Keep us up and allow koeman to spend well in this as well as the next transfer windows - so he can rebuild the squad over the coming years. I suspect it will take 2-3 years to get a squad stronger than the one we just sold.

Unfortunately this is true I think. Those who think the club is being sold won't budge from that opinion now, despite what happens.

I've yo-yoed like anything about sales of club and players over the past 2 weeks depending on the evidence provided (as well as being surprised how high our wage bill was, and then how much of it was non-playing staff), but my current position is "I don't Katharina is actively pursuing a sale but might consider one if we get an exceptional offer. I also think we might have been left holding the baby re: bonuses and the need to meet FFP, as well as subject to a lot of very good bids for players we'd rather not lose but probably had to in the longer term due to their wage expectations, and now we're being more savvy regarding player expenses, hence the loans".

This may change tomorrow, depending on the evidence. But I think a lot of people have made their mind up now and are digging in.

They have appeared naiive and amateurish since Cortese left. I want them to convince everyone that they are in fact professionals who know what they are doing.

I would also like them to state what their ambition is for the club and tell the fans how they plan to achieve it.

While I would like to see more quality added before the end of the window, had the board turned down the crazy money offered for some of those players, that would have needed some explaining.

Every player has his price, we have done very good business, now we need to strengthen.

If that doesn't happen, then I'll be waving my little hankie with the rest of them.

I suspect it will take 2-3 years to get a squad stronger than the one we just sold.

Really? Some of the players in the squad were with us for that amount of time, but half the team were only with us a year or two. It is arguable that the squad we have now is stronger than the one that came up to the PL under Adkins, with time still available before the closure of the transfer window to strengthen it still further, so quite how you conclude that it could take 2-3 years to get a stronger squad than the one we just sold is a mystery to me. It isn't even beyond the realms of possibility that we might yet start the seaaon with a stronger squad than we finished with in May. It depends who we are yet to sign, and then it requires some time to assess the players against those they replaced, but it certainly won't take 2-3 years.

Really? Some of the players in the squad were with us for that amount of time, but half the team were only with us a year or two. It is arguable that the squad we have now is stronger than the one that came up to the PL under Adkins, with time still available before the closure of the transfer window to strengthen it still further, so quite how you conclude that it could take 2-3 years to get a stronger squad than the one we just sold is a mystery to me. It isn't even beyond the realms of possibility that we might yet start the seaaon with a stronger squad than we finished with in May. It depends who we are yet to sign, and then it requires some time to assess the players against those they replaced, but it certainly won't take 2-3 years.

Maybe team would be a better word to use. The key to our recent success was that the majority of the players had been playing together for a long time, as well as being good. It will take a while for new players to bed in and all start playing on the same wave length - if you think this will happen in a season it's just naieve, look at Tottenham last season etc..

The best situation we can get into is if we can get a strong core working together this season and look to bring in 1-2 improvements each window to continue to improve - coupled with not selling our best players.

This is why arsenal will challenge for the title this year and Liverpool won't get top 4.

Yes, the board are answerable to me!

Oh, hang on, they are not.

OK, so they sell players for top (or over-the-top) fees so they can go earn twice as much money doing the same job somewhere else. I mean there is no way i would go and work anywhere doing the same job in a "better" company for twice the money. 5 million a year? Nah. I'll stay here so people on the forum can "trust the board". (Trust them to do what exactly? Come on, grow up!)

They have appeared naiive and amateurish since Cortese left. I want them to convince everyone that they are in fact professionals who know what they are doing.

I would also like them to state what their ambition is for the club and tell the fans how they plan to achieve it.

I do not agree. What has been naive and amateurish has been the way that the media and some posters on here have made up their own mindswhat is going on without any hard evidence and caused a feeding frenzy of negativity. Cortese was clearly a dictator who wanted things done his way with someone elses money. By the look of it KL tried to bring in some corporate control, he spat his dummy out and walked. Pochettino led us a merry dance before jumping ship and the top clubs have come in, not unreasonably, for our top players. From this we hear that KL is selling the club and that a fire sale is going on. The Board have denied both but yet those who only want to believe the wrorst keep perpetuating the negativity. The Board have stated that the club is not for sale (several times), they have brought in a strong manager and are going about rebuilding the squad. They have said that the aim is still Europe but in a timescale shorter than what Cortese was promising everyone. What more do you want and what more can they say? You can either believe them or not, but the proof of the pudding etc so lets see what happens.

This. As I've stated before the board never had a chance with some posters. There are some very good reasons why I trust the board and will continue to do so unless they properly renege on their promises - which I don't believe will happen.

Jeff, I'm afraid that even if the Board do renege on promises, which several people would say they have already done, I suspect you'd still find excuses for them. As fans, isn't it the club we should support which is not the same thing as the people temporarily sitting in the director's chairs?

the " Cortese Plan " was put in place 4 years ago, and presumably everyone at SMS has been working to it.....(?).

Although NC has since left the club, I haven't seen an alternative / Plan B proposed, so perhaps we can assume that the overall aim is the same? ... although the time scale will have altered somewhat.

If you're not happy with that thought.....maybe you were one of the people laughing ...when Premier League football was suggested back in 2009, whilst we were in the L1 relegation zone ?

I don't think anyone really knows whether a particularly large number of fans have lost trust in the board. Obviously there's some disgruntlement at the loss of a number of star players but they've been lured away by big money. Any board would have struggled to keep them but at least the current incumbents have negotiated large sums in return.

Can I suggest that it'll all come down to performances on the pitch? A poor start and there'll be disgruntlement. Anything other than that and people will just get on with supporting the players that do want to put on the red & white.

The problem with saying any board would have struggled to keep the star players is that ours doesn't appear to have struggled at all. They sent Rickie on his way with all best wishes, despite having no manager to consult and therefore contrary to the stated transfer policy. The struggle to keep Morgan took, it appears, one hour, despite his wish to go, but with the other leavers there doesn't seem to have been even an hour's struggle because the requests were granted.

Well producing a team on the pitch capable of obtaining results similar to those at the start of last season would do a lot for most people. If we've 20 points on the board after

10 (or even 11) games then for me the board's policy will have been vindicated, less points in various degrees would mean more or less trust in their policy.

The problem with saying any board would have struggled to keep the star players is that ours doesn't appear to have struggled at all. They sent Rickie on his way with all best wishes, despite having no manager to consult and therefore contrary to the stated transfer policy. The struggle to keep Morgan took, it appears, one hour, despite his wish to go, but with the other leavers there doesn't seem to have been even an hour's struggle because the requests were granted.

if you believe KK billy. Morgan sale was all but agreed. it was the backlash the club were getting from all angles that played a major part of putting a top to the top players going.

Get another proven 'football person' on the board and spend enough to ensure our squad is stronger than last season come the close of the window.

.......you won't know the answer to that one before next April.

Spending "big money " isn't always the answer.....consider Torres' move from Liverpool to Chelsea :scared: and Carroll's move practically everywhere else outside of Tyneside.:lol:

Pochettino's idea of " reforming " Osvaldo has proven to be a costly fiasco for Saints, so must be hard to make that sort of statement before we've even played the first few games - isn't it ?.