Liverpool vs Saints Build Up Thread

nta786

Massive, Massive game. I've been (like everyone I suppose), been waiting ever since the fixture list came out.

I wonder what team we will play...

Forster or Boruc? Most likely Forster- I don't expect a £10m signing to be on the bench.

Will Morgan be back? Mentally unfit atm... I'm gonna have blind faith and hope he will be...

Will we have a new CB before the Liverpool game? Vlaar? VVD? Rojo?

This is probably what team will be (for me anyway):

Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida/New CB, Bertrand, Wanyama, Morgan, Taider, Davis, Tadic, Pelle.

Taider had a good game last night for me.

Predictions: As much as I'd like to think we will win- ultimately I think we'll lose 2-0. :( Plus we are on TV, and we rarely win on TV.

I suspect:

Boruc

Clyne

Yoshida

Fonte

Bertrand

Wanyama

Taider

Tadic

S Davis

Ramirez

Pelle

if Schneiderlin is fit physically and mentally he'll come in for Taider. Not sure I'd blood a new centre back in this fixture although we do need one.

I'll be there in a corporate box. Will just shovel down as much booze as possible to ease the pain of the scoreline and the silly accents.

Yeah I think I'm like you, I find those corporate box Hooray Henry upper crust and Queen's English affected accents silly also, as that literary genius George Bernard Shaw observed "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him". . . . . and having disclosed that, I often think how regional dialects enrich the spoken word and in my more lucid moments consider how dull it would be if all accents in the country were as " one ", rather bland I think - don't you? So an opportunity to re-evaluate your linguistic bias begs? I would suggest so.

Go steady on the booze then Draino, a form of anesthesia for you I know but don't let it become a constant matter of "Draino at the Drains" because not only will the booze drain your bodily fluid it will drain your sensibility, induce blurred vision whilst also eradicating your judgement and thus your good manners to boot and the Saints might win! Then you having basically missed it through hitting the drains too regularly allied to poor vision will be pished off for being pished up. ;)

Edited by ENSKIED

I'm not optimistic result-wise but god, I'm looking forward to this.

I'm not sure it would be wise to throw a new centre half or goalkeeper in at the deep end. We'll miss Rodriguez and could really do with some pace going forward because we'll be playing on the break. Might see Isgrove start for that reason, or I suppose Redmond if he signs.

Schneiderlin won't play, no chance, even if he's got his head together.

I think it'll be the same side that started yesterday's game, Boruc retaining the keeper spot for now. Only things I would possibly question is Ramirez for Isgrove and Taider for Ward-Prowse, but think will opt for the hard work/chasing down effort of Isgrove and Ward Prowse for this one.

Head says they should win comfortably, I would guess at 2-0.

Heart says we will win 2-1 with after going one down with the first Pelle volleying in a Tadic deep cross just after half time winner scored by Fonte getting above Dejan for a corner in the 90th and heading into the bottom corner. Living the dream eh!

At last the start of the season is nearly upon us. I have to say that this has probably been the worst summers ever for me football wise, probably made even harder to endure, by the

huge anticipation I had for this coming season and The Saints representation at The World Cup I had as the end of last season approached.

F*** The World Cup with England's pitiful attempts. F*** the attitudes and antics of some of our former heroes. F*** the club for it's part in what has happened and letting players go without adequate replacements lined up.

At last football is back and it was with some joy that I actually felt a tingle of excitement as I was refreshing all the latest scores for updates on how the games were going

in The Lower Leagues. Shame Skatesmuff slightly ruined it. Get the Open Topped Bus out for their plucky heroes to be paraded around town after such a gallant fight back.

It is though, with much trepidation that I look ahead to next weeks game at Anfield. Sadly I can't see anything less than a 3-0 walloping :(

It will be interesting to see what sort of interaction there is between Lovren and Fonte. Huge occassion for Jose as captain .... hope he manges to keep his head (not in a Lovren type way!!).

I'm really pushed to see where goals are going to come from, players still gelling, strongest formation still unknown, and with Yosh or Jos to partner Jose against a very fluid and quick LFC /midfield and attack live on TV brings me out in a cold sweat :uhoh:

it's the next 5 games that will be far more important in the long run ..... taking points off the likes of WBA, WHU, Newcastle, Swansea and QPR will have far more bearing on where we'll stand

in the table, although even a scrappy 0-0 draw at Anfield would fill my heart with joy!!

At last live football is about to begin, but also what will very likely be quite an epic roller coaster ride of 21 more days of The Transfer Window to endure ..... it's been a long hard summer and it's not over yet!!

I really think we are going to cause an upset in this game. Liverpool are gonna be hyped up and feel the pressure whereas I'd like to think our squad has something to prove to the doubters.

0-1 with a later debut goal from whoever our new CB is.

We are going to get beat, and beat bad.

Yep thats's my fear exactly. I think this will be a rude awakening for the board, Koeman and his management team but in the long run we could be all the better for it.

I will definitely be donning my tin hat and taking cover in the air raid shelter next Sunday.

I think a decent afternoon out would be Saints 1-0, last minute Lovren own goal having watched Lambert miss a penalty. Any one wish to partake?

Depends what sort of stuff you are taking to get to believing this could happen!! ;)

If it's an afternoon session on the booze count me in .... but Just Say NO to drugs :uhoh:

Liverpool are playing Dortmund live on bt sport from midday today. They have played done of the cream if Europe and England in the past month, unlike us. It'll bd interesting to see how they do today.

I don't see Liverpool as top four this year. I reckon united, city, arse and Chelsea will bd above them. They will see our game as a match they should win well.

Hard to see how we can really hurt Liverpool without having someone who will run in behind? They will push their back four up high and squeeze us in ans Sturridge or Sterling one vs one with Yoshida is a total mismatch.

Can only see a defeat, but hopefully a good performance and then we do have another week to sign some attackers and a run of winnable games to follow.

Personally still feel we needed another pre season game against quality opponents as have only faced Bournemouth and Leverkusen who gave us any sort of test.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Hard to see how we can really hurt Liverpool without having someone who will run in behind? They will push their back four up high and squeeze us in ans Sturridge or Sterling one vs one with Yoshida is a total mismatch.

Can only see a defeat, but hopefully a good performance and then we do have another week to sign some attackers and a run of winnable games to follow.

Personally still feel we needed another pre season game against quality opponents as have only faced Bournemouth and Leverkusen who gave us any sort of test.

ATM we only have Isgrove with any pace (mayuka doesn't count) in the attacking third!

Schneiderlin won't play, no chance, even if he's got his head together.

I think it'll be the same side that started yesterday's game, Boruc retaining the keeper spot for now. Only things I would possibly question is Ramirez for Isgrove and Taider for Ward-Prowse, but think will opt for the hard work/chasing down effort of Isgrove and Ward Prowse for this one.

If we start with JWP and Isgrove the games up. Got to be Taider and Gaston.

I don't find these games against the so-called big clubs that much of a worry. No point getting worked up and fearing defeat. These type of games are a 'free-hit' as nobody realistically expects us to get anything so if we do it's a nice little bonus. It's the games where we expect something that are more stressful. We should go there in a relaxed mood knowing that all the pressure is on Liverpool as they are expected to win comfortably.

Can't see anything other than a comfortable Liverpool win

To get to this game and not replaced all those who left is rudiculous

I think we probably will have done, with the possible exception of Chambers. Whether any new centre half is in early enough to play is another matter.

I suspect:

Boruc

Clyne

Yoshida

Fonte

Bertrand

Wanyama

Taider

Tadic

S Davis

Ramirez

Pelle

if Schneiderlin is fit physically and mentally he'll come in for Taider. Not sure I'd blood a new centre back in this fixture although we do need one.

I agree - Boruc will be in for Forster I suspect. Schneiderlin will not be on the bench. Gutted though - Koeman's right, we need him to add the passion into the team, but I fail to see how he will play for us again. Oh, I would blood a CB in favour of Yoshida, no question. I would fairly confidently predict that one or more of Liverpools goals will come from Yoshida aimlessly hoofing it straight to a Liverpool player.

Edited by SaintRobbie

4-0 Liverpool.

Head tells me you're right, heart's holding out for a 1-0 Saints win with Fonte doing a Lovren to them!!

Saints 6/1 to win. Pretty poor odds if you're heart driven, but worth a punt as its the start of the season and ANYTHING can happen!!

Edited by SaintRobbie

Can't see anything other than a comfortable Liverpool win

To get to this game and not replaced all those who left is rudiculous

If we sign a CB before the game (which looks more than likely) is that not all the key departures replaced? Lallana/Tadic, Shaw/Bertrand, Lambert/Pelle, Lovren/new CB. Not including Chambers as we have Clyne.

We will get murdered .... But then rise from the ashes as the season progresses

Get ready for a tsunami of bed wetting from the usual suspects by this time next week

This is my view, we may get humped into a drubbing at Liverpool but it shouldn't be panic stations in the slightest. I think we will lose but the effort will be there and we move on to the next fixture. We're still adding to the squad too, so we might be stronger with every game.

Most likely scores: Liverpool win 2-0 or 2-1. But at odds of 6:1, a Saints win has to be a great bet. They're missing the incredible silky skills of Adam Lallana, right? Rogers will look pretty foolish if he loses to the side he believed he'd claimed the crown jewels from. But on the opening day of the season, with RoKo and his plans still under wraps, it could easily happen.

It'll be interesting to see if Rickie starts. I'm guessing more likely he comes on as 70th minute sub.

The only things that would really hurt would be 1) worse than 3-0. 2) Lovren scores. 3) Lovren injures one of our players.

Koeman is at Anfield watching them today. 2-0 up after 20mins. Sturridge and Lovren.

Showing nothing apart from it will be bloody hard to get anything. Coutinho superb.

Havent seen Taider but if he is more tenacious than JWP then should start. Their midfield will pick us off if we stand off them.

Thrashing potential - Fairly high

Edited by Saint Charlie

As an American, it has been my experience that all of the team's wins are televised.

Respectfully disagree.

I'm debating whether to watch this at ye ol' pub because every time I watch them at the pub, they lose. Ta boot, there's a larger than average Liverpool contingent that frequent said pub. Do I show up in Saints colors to defy the Liverpoopers or watch at home to avoid jinxing them? *sigh* If we lose it's probably my fault, sorry.

Yeah I think I'm like you, I find those corporate box Hooray Henry upper crust and Queen's English affected accents silly also, as that literary genius George Bernard Shaw observed "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him". . . . . and having disclosed that, I often think how regional dialects enrich the spoken word and in my more lucid moments consider how dull it would be if all accents in the country were as " one ", rather bland I think - don't you? So an opportunity to re-evaluate your linguistic bias begs? I would suggest so.

Go steady on the booze then Draino, a form of anesthesia for you I know but don't let it become a constant matter of "Draino at the Drains" because not only will the booze drain your bodily fluid it will drain your sensibility, induce blurred vision whilst also eradicating your judgement and thus your good manners to boot and the Saints might win! Then you having basically missed it through hitting the drains too regularly allied to poor vision will be pished off for being pished up. ;)

Beats me, what in mercy's name are you talking about?

I don't think it's a massive game. Expect a loss, going to take time to gel and time to sign players. This is why it's a farce having the transfer window close after the season has started.

I hope we put in a decent showing, just don't want to see a heavy defeat as we didn't have any last season. I'm more concerned about getting those remaining players in, forming a coherent first XI and winning those first few home games.

People can't say they've lowered expectations to staying up or lower mid table and simultaneously expect points at Anfield!

Good sensible post and very realistic considering all that has happened here over the last few weeks. My only point to add is that it seems highly improbable we'll ever see Schneiderlin in a Saints shirt again and Les's problem will be securing the £27m from the Yobo's and far more importantly sneaking it past us transfer weary fans without sparking a riot. Mind you the way that lad is behaving "get rid" may be the call from the fans soon enough.