The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Thanks for the advice regarding my saddle! I have a Boardman MX Comp Hybrid and the saddle is very hard compared to my colleagues Whyte Hybrid, which has a gel saddle, so I have "borrowed" his saddle and seat post for this Sundays Sky Ride from Redbridge into the Forest (26 miles), will see how I get on with my usual padded shorts.

I have a Charge Scoop saddle inbound, as I have signed up to take part in Sky Rides new initiative/trial "Ride Further" which is 42 miles next Sunday, also ordered some new Ergon GP1 grips as my hands get really numb.

Me and the Mrs bought hybrid bikes in the Spring and have been going out early every Sunday morning. We're not serious but thoroughly enjoy our rides, we normally do 27 miles through Christchurch, then along the prom all the way to Sandbanks.

Gets a bit frustrating when you have the serious riders in their road bikes flying past. Thinking about getting a road bike myself now.

Calling, the Dark Side is. Resist can you not !

Indeed.

Got chatting to a guy over at Sandbanks last weekend and he had a £3.5k Bianchi. I couldn't believe just how light it was.

How much faster can you expect to go on a road bike compared to hybrid?

Indeed.

Got chatting to a guy over at Sandbanks last weekend and he had a £3.5k Bianchi. I couldn't believe just how light it was.

Depends on your current gear ratios, but you will almost certainly have a more efficient riding position, a higher top gear, lighter and more responsive frame, much less rolling resistance from the tyres, and there is less effort required to overcome the inertia of lighter wheels. Once you go the whole hog and get clipped-in pedals that will add at least another 10% on top.

Indeed.

Much, much faster especially uphill.

I've a very good hybrid but it's now relegated to trail rides with the kids and popping around town. Any proper riding is done on a road bike.

Be warned though, it's utterly addictive.

Amen to that vftt. Also have a Boardman that is now only used for family rides. Addictive....absolutely, now several century rides are under the belt want to start looking at double centuries and challenges like pikes peak.

Don't understand how it became so addictive

I'm on wind down :D

Good to wind down at some stage. This is a pretty brutal sport/pastime if taken seriously so rest is almost as important as mileage. As someone who is nearer 60 than 50 the quality of what I do is more important than the quantity. I'm on the turbo most of the time now. Term time commitments and dark mornings dictate unfortunately. Hoping to get out tomorrow. Happy to share turbo ideas with anyone either here or through http://www.strava.com/clubs/45350. Let me know where is best. Currently doing intervals with one tempo session, one threshold session and an over-geared session coupled with a road ride each week. Over-geared are the start of prep for Alps. Currently 3 x 6 mins @ around 50/60 rpm in highest gear with 5 min recoveries between.

Good to wind down at some stage. This is a pretty brutal sport/pastime if taken seriously so rest is almost as important as mileage. As someone who is nearer 60 than 50 the quality of what I do is more important than the quantity. I'm on the turbo most of the time now. Term time commitments and dark mornings dictate unfortunately. Hoping to get out tomorrow. Happy to share turbo ideas with anyone either here or through http://www.strava.com/clubs/45350. Let me know where is best. Currently doing intervals with one tempo session, one threshold session and an over-geared session coupled with a road ride each week. Over-geared are the start of prep for Alps. Currently 3 x 6 mins @ around 50/60 rpm in highest gear with 5 min recoveries between.

Sufferfest. Work a treat for me.

I'll ride every weekend through the winter with a couple of mates and turbo at least twice. One "flat" intervals and one an overgeared "hilly" session.

Hill interval training his certainly paying dividends. Climbing so much better than I was.

Completed my inaugral 42 mile Sky Ride today in the New Forest, very enjoyable.

Sorry to hear that there were 2 accidents over the weekend involving cyclists in the Forest, today we had some complete arseholes in cars! Why are they in such a hurry, it IS a National Park and it is Sunday?

That's partly why I go out so early in the morning to avoid the traffic. One thing about this cycling lark is you get to see places you wouldn't normally go to. Cycled over to keyhaven and the Milford end of Hurst spit this morning.

That's partly why I go out so early in the morning to avoid the traffic. One thing about this cycling lark is you get to see places you wouldn't normally go to. Cycled over to keyhaven and the Milford end of Hurst spit this morning.

We are usually on the road by 07.00 on a Sunday, even earlier if off on a big ride. As we don't usually stop (never for rides less than 100km) we are often back for lunch. Lovely quite roads and usually some very odd sights.

The importance of cadence?

As many of you know i am very new to cycling only staying out about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday was my first ride with a cadence sensor on my bike. When peddling easy i was always dropping to around 60-65 rpm. Everything i have read says this is to low. At the moment i don't have the energy in my legs to push a bigger gear that fast so would end up in the inner ring on anything other than pancake flat roads. Should i do this anyway to get into the habit of riding with a higher cadence or push the harder gear and work cadence out age a few months?

As many of you know i am very new to cycling only staying out about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday was my first ride with a cadence sensor on my bike. When peddling easy i was always dropping to around 60-65 rpm. Everything i have read says this is to low. At the moment i don't have the energy in my legs to push a bigger gear that fast so would end up in the inner ring on anything other than pancake flat roads. Should i do this anyway to get into the habit of riding with a higher cadence or push the harder gear and work cadence out age a few months?

May I refer you to The Rules :

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule #90 Never Get Out of the Big Ring.

If it gets steeper, just push harder on the pedals. When pressed on the matter, the Apostle Johan Museeuw simply replied, “Yes, why would you slow down?” It is, of course, acceptable to momentarily shift into the inner ring when scaling the 20% ramps of the Kapelmuur.

You can also adopt the Gospel according to Saint Jens - "Shut up legs !"

I don't use a cadence sensor or power meter, and very rarely use an HRM - I go on how I feel. If you're reasonably competent at counting seconds you should be able to judge your cadence without the technology, but don't obsess about it - the most important thing is that you are on the bike, gradual improvements will bring their own reward. You've probably got 9 gears on your cassette, so that's 9 from the big ring - plenty enough to be going on with.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a proper winter ride this morning (at the 1st for 2 weeks for me). Full winter kit with a waterproof jacket was was dripping after 20km. Proper pea souper for nearly early one of the 100km we did. Only saw the sun at the top of Cannock Chase and as soon as we descended it disappeared again.

Noticeable lack of weekend warriors out as well.

I waited until pm before venturing out. Still needed arm warmers, two pairs of socks and full fingered gloves at that time of day. Planned 60K but weather was closing in. Rain in the air, wind freshening and more importantly every car with lights on helped me make the decision to bale out early. Enjoyable for 36K though.

Out this morning for the first time in a fortnight. Still full of the cold but needed to do something. Seemed to be struggling from the first turn of the wheel and called it quits after a miserable 15k. Disappointing.

Still, hope for decent weather next weekend as I will be out Saturday and Sunday if I can be.

Got my bike back last weekend so did a decent 100km on Sunday and a flat 35km night ride Tuesday and a lumpy 55km on Cannock Chase in Friday.

Was due to go out early today for a decent 150km ride but then preparing and checking the bike last night I found a small 5mm cut in the sidewall of the front tyre with a small bubble of tube pushing through so that was the end of that.

Smashed myself to bits instead on the turbo doing The Sufferfests "A Very Dark Place".

New tyres have been ordered, Gatorskins for the winter, so I'm planning in a long one next weekend and some coastal miles in Dorset during 1/2 term.

Took my end of season break last week. A loop out towards Legoland and Windsor Great Park then out to Wargrave and Henley on Thames before returning to Wargrave and going up Wargrave Hill, which isn't very long but a challenge after 40 or so miles. My mate big ringed it and is now top ten for segment on Strava. I bonked. Don't eat enough or drink enough. Roads were atrocious. Lying water, gravel/flints, horse**** and rotting leaves that made it pretty slippery. Had a visit from the puncture fairy towards the end unsurprisingly. Couldn't find the cause, nothing wrong with the tyre or anything stuck in it so have assume it was a pinch puncture. Forgot to check tube before binning it. GP 4000S have been good throughout summer and that was the first puncture I've had. Will have a look at new rubber now. Schwalbe Durano S, Michelin Pro4 Endurance, or GP 4 Seasons. Will probably go with whatever I can get the best deal on. Not a fan of Gatorskins. Have then on commuting bike and found them to be decidedly skittery in the wet on occasions.

Slowly building up distance - getting used to 50kms at the moment, although last week it felt that I had come second place in an 4rse kicking competition.

Absolutely loving it though, even if I have dropped another few hundred quid on kit since I last posted. The missus is beginning to make noises about this.

75k today with 1k of climbing in there too. Futher than i have done before and on three weeks with out a ride so my best was behind me around the 50k mark and was just a grind painfully home. Probably too much too soon for me today.

Just keep turning the cranks. Make sure you eat properly when riding. Makes a big difference.

We are out your way tomorrow. Out to Shrewsbury via Ironbridge and back via High Ercall and Newport. 110km. I'll add in another 20km or so at the end.

Steady tempo and flat for us.

135 very windy kilometres today through Ironbridge Gorge and out past the Roman ruins at Wroxeter before swing back through the Shropshire & Staffordshire countryside.

1st 55km was straight into the wind and that was hard. Turned back into again after 95km and that was really hard especially as the last 40km was solo across high farmland that is really exposed to the wind.

135 very windy kilometres today through Ironbridge Gorge and out past the Roman ruins at Wroxeter before swing back through the Shropshire & Staffordshire countryside.

1st 55km was straight into the wind and that was hard. Turned back into again after 95km and that was really hard especially as the last 40km was solo across high farmland that is really exposed to the wind.

Just looked at this ride on Strava looks a tidy route, whats the Ironbridge to Atcham road like to ride? Go that way to work most days but always seems really busy on weekday mornings. I come from Atcham along Spout Lane and have yet to see a single car on there. Think its Nat Cycle route 45.

Signed up to do the Wiggle New Forest Sportive in spring. Gives me something to aim for early enough next year to keep me out on the bike in the cold. Also going to get in touch with the Wrekin Riding Club and see about going out with them sometime soon. Feels like some proper progress given I bought my first bike about 3 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...