The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Weather id glorious this weekend so kick the tits out of it fellas as it won't last!

Been off the bike for a week now. Out last Sunday spinning up a few climbs when I should have rested and the result was an inevitable dose of man flu! Going to spin on the turbo this pm and hopefully out again on road tomorrow. Seriously though it tends to suit me to take a short break off the bike, and the cold provided me with a good excuse to do it now. We haven't been away so far this year so kept on going throughout August when I'd normally been on hols for part of it, so a rest was due. Off to Gran Canaria in 4 weeks and taking cycling gear. Mrs Winnersaint has given me a pass, so looking to hire a bike and do a bit out there.

Edited by Winnersaint

Before I forget, not sure if anyone is interested but I got this little bargain in the week. http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-continental-gp4000-s-ii-folding-tyres-with-2-free-inner-tubes-700c-71989.html

Excellent tyres at full price but at this it had to be a bit of a no-brainer. Free tubes don't look up to much mind!

Michelin 25mm Endurance Pro 4 for winter and 23mm Service Course Pro 4 for summer for me. £40 for a pair on Chain Reactions, or were. I buy my winter tyres in the spring and my summer tyres in the autumn.

Weather looks set fair for a week so despite taking the winter bike out for a shake down tonight the summer bike can stay out for a while longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly 50% at threshold and 13% at anaerobic.

Fair to say that the hip is sorted.

https://www.strava.com/activities/353687919/segments/8418135588

Hmmmm.

I'm new to all this cycling stuff - got a 'cheap' aluminium bike for just short of £200 back in May but got hooked and bought a nice carbon bike [thank you cycle to work scheme ;) ] in August.

For me a 2hr 20 min ride will usually see me in max (165bpm) for about 8-10 mins and anaerobic (141-160bpm) for about 46%, the rest of the time spent in aerobic. But to put that in context, I'm a fat bstard and took up cycling to aid weight loss - currently sitting at around 1.5 stone lost since January out of my target of 2 stone. Took up cycling because my knees and back are screwed so running or other impact sports are a no go and the cross trainer wasn't providing enough of a challenge after the first four months.

I'm now averaging around 90-100 miles a week - three morning sessions before work in the garage on the turbo trainer which the old bike is attached to and two longer rides at the weekend, so far come rain, wind or shine but not sure if that will last through the depths of winter!!

I'm planning my second ascent of Cheddar Gorge tomorrow - one of the [only] benefits of living in Weston Super Mare means I have that beauty on my doorstep, well ten miles to the foot of the gorge anyway! I've done four or five ascents of 'Burrington Combe' which is the 'backside' of Cheddar over the past couple of months and think that side may be harder than Cheddar - purely because the climbing is steeper for longer, whereas Cheddar is very steep but for not very long...

Anyway, any hints or tips for a newbie like me will be gratefully received :)

Hmmmm.

I'm new to all this cycling stuff - got a 'cheap' aluminium bike for just short of £200 back in May but got hooked and bought a nice carbon bike [thank you cycle to work scheme ;) ] in August.

For me a 2hr 20 min ride will usually see me in max (165bpm) for about 8-10 mins and anaerobic (141-160bpm) for about 46%, the rest of the time spent in aerobic. But to put that in context, I'm a fat bstard and took up cycling to aid weight loss - currently sitting at around 1.5 stone lost since January out of my target of 2 stone. Took up cycling because my knees and back are screwed so running or other impact sports are a no go and the cross trainer wasn't providing enough of a challenge after the first four months.

I'm now averaging around 90-100 miles a week - three morning sessions before work in the garage on the turbo trainer which the old bike is attached to and two longer rides at the weekend, so far come rain, wind or shine but not sure if that will last through the depths of winter!!

I'm planning my second ascent of Cheddar Gorge tomorrow - one of the [only] benefits of living in Weston Super Mare means I have that beauty on my doorstep, well ten miles to the foot of the gorge anyway! I've done four or five ascents of 'Burrington Combe' which is the 'backside' of Cheddar over the past couple of months and think that side may be harder than Cheddar - purely because the climbing is steeper for longer, whereas Cheddar is very steep but for not very long...

Anyway, any hints or tips for a newbie like me will be gratefully received :)

Depends what you want to achieve really. I ride & race (veteran) with a club so I ride to either train, to recover or for the social aspect. I tend to ride short(ish) at full gas and long at tempo.

This time of year I'll ride Tuesday and Thursday nights on one of 4 circuits with a few others at full gas with 2min fixed turns. I'll also do a night of hill repeats with another club or on my own once my nipper starts winter cricket nets.

At the weekend I'll do between 130km - 200km on the Saturday and a short recovery ride on the Sunday. Saturday pace will vary on route and company but something like 20km at 30kmph / 50km clubride at 26kmph / 100km at 33kmph. This week dad duties means 2 x 80km rides.

Every now and then I'll do a solo non-stop 100miler at max effort. That's always a good tester.

I ride all year but I don't pretend to enjoy it in the rain but myself and one of my oppos spend hours riding into the wind. It hurts like hell but makes you stronger.

The only way to improve in hills to to ride hills. There is no easy options. You have to find a rhythm, tempo and style that suits you and stick to it. I climb seated and spin. My training partner stood and big ring. He's stronger than me on hills and when we are bang at it he'll burn me on his 2nd kick. If I try to stay with him I'll be far too far in the red and go pop so I don't try it. That said we smashed a well ridden climb last night, only 1,5km at 4% at just under 30kmph and both got Strava top 10s so the effort paid off. :D

It's about management of effort, especially if you're after fat burning as too hard at it and it'll just be glycogen being burned and keeping energy topped up whilst riding. On long rides I'll take a banana and a bag of jelly babies. 6 jelly babies = 1 gel. That keeps me topped up but everyone is different.

If you really want to see massive improvements join a club and pick a major ride in 2016 as your target ride and train for it. Gives you something to aim at. Make it a 100miler and make it lumpy but not a daft one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/402952238 - Fast training ride with 15km warm up/cool down either side.

https://www.strava.com/activities/405340739 - Typical (shortish) Saturday Ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/392971728 - Typical solo Autumn training loop with 15km warm up/cool down either side.

https://www.strava.com/activities/380042711 - Solo 100miler (This one ruined me).

https://www.strava.com/activities/374952081 - Long Saturday ride, albeit a slow one for us with a cafe stop.

https://www.strava.com/activities/408981988 - Typical Group Autumn/Winter Night Training Ride.

Edited by View From The Top

Thanks VFTT - I think those sort of outputs are a long way off for me!!!

My goal is pure and simple and that's to lose weight - lots of it!! Fortunately I enjoy riding so it's never a chore - although I've done a couple of rides in the rain and they weren't particularly pleasant, but I guess it's just a case of wearing the appropriate gear in the winter and getting on with it!

We've got a decent club in Weston who are very active which I am planning to join next year - need to get a little faster and more consistent first though and quite enjoy riding on my own as I tend to go out early in the morning at the weekends to avoid as much traffic as I can!

Completed my second run up Cheddar this morning [nine minutes spent in the red!] and whilst I won't be setting any strava records I did hit a lot of PBs and keep improving with every ride so I'm very pleased with the results - although I did drop the bike for the first time today when I got caught at a junction and was able to sprint across and just didn't get unclipped in time!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/409856453/

Thanks VFTT - I think those sort of outputs are a long way off for me!!!

My goal is pure and simple and that's to lose weight - lots of it!! Fortunately I enjoy riding so it's never a chore - although I've done a couple of rides in the rain and they weren't particularly pleasant, but I guess it's just a case of wearing the appropriate gear in the winter and getting on with it!

We've got a decent club in Weston who are very active which I am planning to join next year - need to get a little faster and more consistent first though and quite enjoy riding on my own as I tend to go out early in the morning at the weekends to avoid as much traffic as I can!

Completed my second run up Cheddar this morning [nine minutes spent in the red!] and whilst I won't be setting any strava records I did hit a lot of PBs and keep improving with every ride so I'm very pleased with the results - although I did drop the bike for the first time today when I got caught at a junction and was able to sprint across and just didn't get unclipped in time!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/409856453/

Try using the Sufferfest videos when on the TT. They make you work hard but they do keep you in the fat burning zone. They are also based on interval training which is really good for you.

I really would advise picking a ride next summer and using that as your target. If you have an event to train for it does give added motivation, especially if you've paid up front!

Most of the fellas I ride with are around the 50 mark, myself included. Some have gone from 19st to 12st over 2 years and are now racers. I went from 16.5st to 13st in 18months myself. The only thing I cut out of my diet is icecream, which I was a pig for. Most of the younger lads can't live with our pace or endurance which always gives the ego a boost.

There are plenty of training plans available, might be worth looking at some to see if you fancy following one.

The most important thing though is just to keep on riding.

This weekend I tried some Z2 riding. Bloody hell it's hard riding that slow. My legs are killing me, must have been using different parts of the muscles compared to my usual Z3 - Z5 rides.

I've just put a Z2 ride up on Strava and I was almost reluctant to do so. I think there might be a few things going on here. Strava itself for starters, competitiveness, and whatever cycling obsession needs satisfying. Take Strava for example, those of us who upload to it do so for a purpose, but our riding is out there for others to see, personally there is a reluctance to upload what on the surface might look like a poor ride. This links to competitiveness, our strive to improve segment times, overall times and to show what you can do compared to others on a bike. This in turn links to the obsession part of it and it afflicts every cyclist I know. Whether it's power, gradient, distance or average speed for example, it is easy to get hung things which look quite good but don't necessarily make you a better bike rider. There are always articles this time of year about leaving the Garmin switched off and forgetting Strava and there may be something in it. Take my ride today, within the last ten minutes or so of is a segment which is getting on for 4 kilometres long. The Garmin beeps and tells me the segment is just about to start and I hit it at about 35kph, for much of the next 3.7K I am around 5 - 10 seconds shy of my PB, which was perhaps a little too far to make up but seeing it made me go for it to see how close I could get to the PB. To do this I've immediately gone outside Z2, probably into Z3/4 thus defeating the object of the ride

I've just put a Z2 ride up on Strava and I was almost reluctant to do so. I think there might be a few things going on here. Strava itself for starters, competitiveness, and whatever cycling obsession needs satisfying. Take Strava for example, those of us who upload to it do so for a purpose, but our riding is out there for others to see, personally there is a reluctance to upload what on the surface might look like a poor ride. This links to competitiveness, our strive to improve segment times, overall times and to show what you can do compared to others on a bike. This in turn links to the obsession part of it and it afflicts every cyclist I know. Whether it's power, gradient, distance or average speed for example, it is easy to get hung things which look quite good but don't necessarily make you a better bike rider. There are always articles this time of year about leaving the Garmin switched off and forgetting Strava and there may be something in it. Take my ride today, within the last ten minutes or so of is a segment which is getting on for 4 kilometres long. The Garmin beeps and tells me the segment is just about to start and I hit it at about 35kph, for much of the next 3.7K I am around 5 - 10 seconds shy of my PB, which was perhaps a little too far to make up but seeing it made me go for it to see how close I could get to the PB. To do this I've immediately gone outside Z2, probably into Z3/4 thus defeating the object of the ride

I've turned the live segments bit off on my 810.

I simply don't like riding slow, it's just not for me but I thought I'd give it a crack. Rode with someone else on Saturday and 89% of my ride was Z2/Z3, Sunday's ride was 71%. Both with around 850m of climbing but 85km on Sat and only 55km on Sunday with Sunday having proper climbs.

I know "base miles" have their place but I prefer them at tempo.

I find the Garmin useful to keep the effort within Z2, but I keep forgetting to disable live segments. I have grown to ignore them, but the wind conditions yesterday on that segment were unusual. The vast majority of time there is a headwind along that stretch of road, and even if there isn't it is rare that you get a tailwind. It wasn't that windy but it was enough to assist. The seconds I lost due to traffic at a right turn probably cost me a PB.

I agree about riding slowly and I prefer to ride without having to think about knocking the effort back. I think the main worry is that by riding endurance pace I will somehow get stuck there in the future. My base pace stuff on the turbo is rather a misnomer as it is a tempo session, which can stray into sweet spot territory quite easily so I cant envisage what endurance stuff would look or feel like like. I am going to use the turbo for lower cadence, strength work though. I might treat myself to a BKOOL Pro if I can get the internet into the garage to make this more interesting.

Went out with 4 others for a fast ride tonight but made the mistake of wearing a jacket instead of layering. Overdressed = overheat = heart rate goes mental = sit up = fun over.

Nothing worse. Went on Monday overdressed with full fingered gloves. Suffer with cold feet and hands but having wet clammy hands for half a ride was seriously unpleasant.

I ride for much the same reason as you, with the added benefit of saving on parking and fuel costs on my commute. £6 a day soon adds up, even if I end up spending it on bike kit. Over two years I've lost around 4 stone and I'm the lightest and fittest I've been since my teens. Ride in all weathers, mostly the commute but also get out at weekends and do the occasional sportive. Its the only exercise I've ever genuinely enjoyed and looked forward to - to the point that if I haven't ridden for a few days I get miserable. Not really blessed with hills here (except one with a short 25% section) but I do have the whole of the New Forest and Cranborne Chase on my doorstep. There are two things I love about cycling - the fact that its just you and the bike, which is just brilliant for de-stressing after work, and the fact that there's no get out clause like there is when going to the gym or the pool. If you end up 20 miles from home then the only option is to cycle home no matter what condition you're in.

You'll probably find you'll plateau on the weight loss and most of it will disappear from below the waist. I had best/quickest results riding fasted - straight out of bed and on the bike first thing and then stay away from snacking whilst on the ride. You'll be ravenous when you get home but will have switched on your fat burning metabolism big time.

You'll probably find you'll plateau on the weight loss and most of it will disappear from below the waist. I had best/quickest results riding fasted - straight out of bed and on the bike first thing and then stay away from snacking whilst on the ride. You'll be ravenous when you get home but will have switched on your fat burning metabolism big time.

That's exactly how I do it... Straight out of bed and on the bike without eating anything. I do get bloody hungry whilst on the bike but I don't take anything with me as I want every calorie I burn to be the excess that I'm carrying around! Even my three turbo sessions a week are done at 6am before I've had a chance to wake up, let alone eat anything!!

The only thing I take with me on the bike is two 800ml bottles. On my Saturday [longer] ride, I take two 'electrolyte' drinks [high 5 zero] one tab in each bottle so pretty weak. On Sunday I take one with the tab in and one bottle with just blackcurrant juice in it.

Being a gent of a 'larger' size, I tend to sweat a lot on the bike - even riding in 8-10 degrees! - so need to keep drinking to replace the lost fluids. Finding this an issue with how far I can ride as the drink runs out before the miles do sometimes but managed 45 miles this week...

I don't over do it with the eating when I get home either sticking to a bowl of muesli to fill me up...

That's exactly how I do it... Straight out of bed and on the bike without eating anything. I do get bloody hungry whilst on the bike but I don't take anything with me as I want every calorie I burn to be the excess that I'm carrying around! Even my three turbo sessions a week are done at 6am before I've had a chance to wake up, let alone eat anything!!

The only thing I take with me on the bike is two 800ml bottles. On my Saturday [longer] ride, I take two 'electrolyte' drinks [high 5 zero] one tab in each bottle so pretty weak. On Sunday I take one with the tab in and one bottle with just blackcurrant juice in it.

Being a gent of a 'larger' size, I tend to sweat a lot on the bike - even riding in 8-10 degrees! - so need to keep drinking to replace the lost fluids. Finding this an issue with how far I can ride as the drink runs out before the miles do sometimes but managed 45 miles this week...

I don't over do it with the eating when I get home either sticking to a bowl of muesli to fill me up...

Be careful you don't bonk if you're doing fasted long rides. You should take at least a banana with you or home made high carb rice cakes. Trust me, if you bonk far from home it's agony.

As for drinks running out just take a few quid with you and buy some bottles of water when you're out. We had to stop twice on Sunday to fill up our bidons. Keep your High5 tablets in the tube in your jersey and just add them as if you're sweaty and lose to may electrolytes then you run the risk of cramps.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm hoping it stays mild a bit longer, but #3 ( winter issue - white paint job ;) ), has been serviced and is ready for duty.

Picked up my SKS Raceblades today, they'll get fitted tomorrow after I've done a short spin and stripped and cleaned the Bianchi.

Was tempted to keep the Merckx out for a while longer but the lanes are getting ****ty.

• 1 month later...
I know people are out there cycling, even if it's indoors on the trainer. Be interesting to know how things are progressing and what plans people have for 2016.

We've had a lot of water on the roads round here, and 2 of the longer routes I regularly ride have been underwater, so it's been the indoor bike - mind you I've been able to catch up with a lot of TV whilst doing it; "The Man in the High Castle", "The Last Panthers", and "Breaking Bad" in particular.

Mrs Winnersaint has been doing MITHC and I have to confess it's something I will catch up with. The Bkool trainer has been a godsend. I've tried to steer clear of virtual Alps, but have done the Col du Telegraph and the Col d'Aspin on it. The former was a few weeks back when I was getting used to the system and the thought that it is only the precursor to the Galibier just leaves me gobsmacked. I've got the Glandon, Tormalet, Croix du Fer and Alpe d'Huez scheduled, but have found that it pays to do these climbs sparingly. Col d'Aspin was a good one though.

• 3 weeks later...
I know people are out there cycling, even if it's indoors on the trainer. Be interesting to know how things are progressing and what plans people have for 2016.

Still plugging away on the commute in this ****ty weather but also got out for a leisure ride over Christmas. Came back absolutely caked in mud from the New Forest roads - really sharp winter tanlines :)

Back on the commute on Monday, can't wait for a full 5-day week at work just so I can cycle in...

Still plugging away on the commute in this ****ty weather but also got out for a leisure ride over Christmas. Came back absolutely caked in mud from the New Forest roads - really sharp winter tanlines :)

Back on the commute on Monday, can't wait for a full 5-day week at work just so I can cycle in...

In the first year 2009/10 I commuted throughout. It was the coldest winter for many years and I survived, but from then on the commute seemed to become more and more of a risk not worth taking during the winter. That and the purchase of a turbo trainer effectively ended my winter outdoor cycling. I will start in Feb on the road, but not commuting. Now I only work three days a week I can ride during the day anyway. View From The Top certainly gets out according to his Strava. Chapeau to both of you for sticking with it. Mind you I have done virtual rides up Alpe d'Huez and the Col d'Izoard this week which has been 'fun'?

I'm mixing it up between the turbo in the garage and out on the roads.

Since being made redundant a month ago it's a lot easier to go out on the road during the week - and thus waiting for a window of drier weather!

If anyone has any suggestions for a 'winter' bike, then I'm all ears - budget will depend on how much compo I get once the redundancy is confirmed as an unfair dismissal [a matter of time but nothing moves quickly in the world of employment tribunals] but probably around the £700 mark. Already have a full carbon bike for the summer and will probably upgrade the components on that after Easter so looking for an aluminium frame for the winter bike with a decent set of components and mud guards - feel free to post links to anything you can think of :)

First ride out for a while today; the bits of flooded road were expected, the young chap rolling his car in front of me wasn't ! Luckily both he and his female passenger got out unscathed. He said he's going back to his motorbikes - five years of biking without incident, he's only been driving for 2 months.

Edited by badgerx16

I'm mixing it up between the turbo in the garage and out on the roads.

Since being made redundant a month ago it's a lot easier to go out on the road during the week - and thus waiting for a window of drier weather!

If anyone has any suggestions for a 'winter' bike, then I'm all ears - budget will depend on how much compo I get once the redundancy is confirmed as an unfair dismissal [a matter of time but nothing moves quickly in the world of employment tribunals] but probably around the £700 mark. Already have a full carbon bike for the summer and will probably upgrade the components on that after Easter so looking for an aluminium frame for the winter bike with a decent set of components and mud guards - feel free to post links to anything you can think of :)

If you've got the tools consider building your own - start with something like the Kaffenback from PlanetX. Full builds are £750 but frameset is only £200 and then you can pick and mix off eBay and bike forums for parts). That's got mudguard mounts, discs and loads of clearance for big tyres. Their aluminium equivalent is the London Road but you won't get that for your budget.Actually, scratch that - currently they're selling it for bang on £700 - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDAPEX/planet-x-london-road-sram-apex-bike

I picked up a GT Grade Alloy last week. Stuck some SKS guards on it and very impressed to be honest. Been out a couple of times and although I am lot slower than summer last year I still find it so much better than the turbo. So much so I am selling to turbo on ebay as I just couldn't get motivated to get on it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK in response to the 2016 running thread that's appeared what have the cycling fraternity got planned for this year? I've got Tour of Berkshire in April, the 3 Counties in June, the Tour of the Candovers in August and La Ronde Picarde to round it off in September. BTW the Candovers ride is an excellent little sportive, based in and run by Odiham CC.Well worth the entry.

Going to try and make this the year of social cycling.

Have been out with the local club once already and out on the reliability ride on Sunday. If I can find a few people to ride with regularly I can chalk one in the win column for this year. Will be doing a couple of the Wiggle sportive rides as at the moment they are a nice excuse to have a weekend away with the missus (who doesn't ride).

First ride I've got is the braunton150 at the end of March. 150 mtb tt across exmoor. My main focus will be another attempt at the transcontinental race. A bit shorter this year at around 4000 km but also hillier with some estimates saying over 50000m of climbing. Training is a bit hampered at the moment though after a tumble on the ice resulted in a broken arm.

Amstel Gold in April, probably the long route.

C2C in a day via "Chase The Sun" in June from Minster-on-Sea in Kent to Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset; 220miles.

May head out to The Alps last 1st week of July or The Vosge mountains but I'd sooner do the flat stuff this year after melting in the heat of the high mountains last summer.

Lots of road racing, may lay off the crits.

Going to try and make this the year of social cycling.

Have been out with the local club once already and out on the reliability ride on Sunday. If I can find a few people to ride with regularly I can chalk one in the win column for this year. Will be doing a couple of the Wiggle sportive rides as at the moment they are a nice excuse to have a weekend away with the missus (who doesn't ride).

Plenty of the local clubs have started their reliability rides. Wrekin had theirs last weekend. They are worth doing.

I picked up a GT Grade Alloy last week. Stuck some SKS guards on it and very impressed to be honest. Been out a couple of times and although I am lot slower than summer last year I still find it so much better than the turbo. So much so I am selling to turbo on ebay as I just couldn't get motivated to get on it.

Buy an ANT+ stick and get on Zwift. Now I HATE indoor training, or did until I started Zwifting.

Buy an ANT+ stick and get on Zwift. Now I HATE indoor training, or did until I started Zwifting.

I'm not a big fan either, viewing it a necessary evil. It does serve a purpose and if you've only got a small time or even weather window to play with it is invaluable. Using Bkool or Zwift does add something extra in terms of relief of boredom and in my case has allowed me to train longer and probably harder on the turbo than previous winters.

Regular daily commute - and now I've upgraded the bike to a hub dyno with proper lighting I'll do longer winter rides to get the mileage up.

Will do 2 or 3 of the local Wiggle sportives and see if I can build up to doing a 100-miler in the autumn.

100 milers aren't really that difficult. I do one every weekend. It's just about pace & refueling as you go. If you can ride 50miles you can ride 100, especially if you live where it's flat.

Pair of us did a very rolling century yesterday, much of it into a brutal headwind. It's fair to say I was utterly ruined at the end of it.

Lot of miles but understandable with Amstel Gold as a target. Personally I'd rather drink it than ride it. I'm targeting this as my main event of 2016.

http://www.calendrier.dusportif.fr/ronde-picarde-02441

Amstel Gold in April, probably the long route.

C2C in a day via "Chase The Sun" in June from Minster-on-Sea in Kent to Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset; 220miles.

Can you let me know the date - and post a reminder closer to the event ;) - Burnham is about 6 or 7 miles from my house In Weston so I may bimble on down to say hi :)

Now I like the look of that!

http://www.grandtrophee.fr/calendrier/la-ronde-picarde/

Thinking along the lines of the 128K rather than 185K, mainly because of the summer hols getting in the way of preparation. It's still eighty miles nevertheless. I was put onto this by the guys at the shop where I bought my bike in September. Last year about 20 went from there and they're expecting similar this year.

Edited by Winnersaint

http://www.grandtrophee.fr/calendrier/la-ronde-picarde/

Thinking along the lines of the 128K rather than 185K, mainly because of the summer hols getting in the way of preparation. It's still eighty miles nevertheless. I was put onto this by the guys at the shop where I bought my bike in September. Last year about 20 went from there and their expecting similar this year.

I've just flagged it up with the club I ride with. Reckon a few of us will go over.

Interesting ride or non ride today. Took the Ridley out instead of the R3. I had a Go-Pro Hero 4 for my birthday at the tail end of last year and wanted to do some action shooting before we head off on holiday next Friday. I set up the camera on a dual Garmin/Go-Pro handlebar mount which has the camera below bar level with nothing to interfere with the shot. It felt really great to be back on my old 'best bike' as I rattled along towards the nearby village of Hurst. Going through the centre of the village rather than staying on the B3030 you have a short climb past the church and the Castle pub at the top. (Nice pub by the way) Being a creature of habit I did what I usually do and got out of the saddle to power over what is a very short climb. As I did there was crack and a strange noise emanating from the crank area, which then turned into a disconcerting rattly type sound on the descent. Back on the flat there were no noises although I was conscious that my right foot didn't feel as if I was clipped in properly. I slowed and stopped and as I clipped out I was left with a pedal still attached to my foot but not to the bike. I rode home one legged and found that the thread inside the crank arm had basically failed. New Campag 10 spd compact crankset needed.