The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Hopefully picking up my new bike today, or maybe tomorrow, or perhaps next weekend. Either way, I'm a little bit excited. A lovely full carbon Italian little number that costs more than my car.

What have you bought? I was going to get the new Merckx SanRemo76 but I got a semi over the new Bianchi Oltre XR1 Athena with Campag Eurus wheels. One of them will be my new summer bike but my current bike will be doing Flanders.

I should point you all to "The Rules". ;)

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

If you are ever in doubt, refer to rule #5.

Nearly got sideswiped by a car as I went round a roundabout on Thursday night, he never looked right to see if anything was already negotiating the junction - 4 miles of pursuit up Blackpool Prom and I caught up with him; ( 30 mile an hour speed limit, and adrenaline combined with a 26mph+ tail wind ). I made sure he was clear as to my opinion of his powers of observation.

Edited by badgerx16

130 very hard KM today. Real hard. Don't know why but I'm f**ked after that.

Had a 'mare going up a very sharp 17% 400m bank. Plenty of rear wheel spin which resulted in me having to unclip sharpish to avoid falling off. Ended up having to do 100m walk of shame.

The weather was all over the place, from fog which was so thick we couldn't see 50m to glorious sunshine and everything in between.

Couple of flat, fast 40km night rides planned for the week and a flat, fast and furious 100km next Sunday.

What have you bought? I was going to get the new Merckx SanRemo76 but I got a semi over the new Bianchi Oltre XR1 Athena with Campag Eurus wheels. One of them will be my new summer bike but my current bike will be doing Flanders.

Bianchi Infinito CV - Would be ideal for the roads of Flanders.

Bianchi Infinito CV - Would be ideal for the roads of Flanders.

I've a Bianchi already as my winter bike & will be getting a Oltre in the Spring (unless I can get a campag build Merckx SanRemo76).

Thought about the Infinito CV, nearly got one last year. Stunning bit of kit, especially in celeste.

Edited by View From The Top

Should everyone who is into stats and cycles have a power meter if money wasn't an issue? A rep from work offered me his month old vector s pedals for a couple of hundred quid as he is changing to powertap. Not something I had considered getting before due to the price. Anyone on here use one?

Also i read a lot about spinning not grinding. Can anyone spin a 34/25 up a 17% slope? Some fecking woman in a Range Rover beeped at me with about 20 meters to the top, I was grinding about 45 rpm and really really on the limit for me. That ****ed me off more than anyone cutting me up ever has.

Should everyone who is into stats and cycles have a power meter if money wasn't an issue? A rep from work offered me his month old vector s pedals for a couple of hundred quid as he is changing to powertap. Not something I had considered getting before due to the price. Anyone on here use one?

Also i read a lot about spinning not grinding. Can anyone spin a 34/25 up a 17% slope? Some fecking woman in a Range Rover beeped at me with about 20 meters to the top, I was grinding about 45 rpm and really really on the limit for me. That ****ed me off more than anyone cutting me up ever has.

She would have been told to f**k off very, very loudly by me and been given the finger.

Do you need a power meter or even a heart rate monitor? No, you don't, but if you want one get one.

As for spinning, it is way easier than grinding it in a bigger gear. It simply uses less energy and lactic build up is slower. What 17% were you climbing today?

We are out your way tomorrow, just a casual 110km spin. Be having a coffee/cake stop at Ironbridge.

My LBS have offered me an awesome deal on the Merckx!

First ride on the Infinito today, it really is an epic bike, just glides along.

Rode back to my LBS for them to fit it properly for me. Typically, as I've been looking forward to this all week, I've come down with flu. Really shouldn't haven't taken it for a spin 'cos now I feel like death.

My LBS gave me an awesome deal on the Infinito ;-)

It really is a beautiful piece of kit.

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_12.11.50.png

She would have been told to f**k off very, very loudly by me and been given the finger.

Do you need a power meter or even a heart rate monitor? No, you don't, but if you want one get one.

As for spinning, it is way easier than grinding it in a bigger gear. It simply uses less energy and lactic build up is slower. What 17% were you climbing today?

We are out your way tomorrow, just a casual 110km spin. Be having a coffee/cake stop at Ironbridge.

I am not sure is will work but its the road over the side of the Wrekin. http://www.strava.com/activities/219422866/segments/5184697390 should be the strava segment. This is by far the hardest hill I have found around Telford so far.

Its only short but I cant do anything other than get up over the front wheel and grind slowly away at it.

I am not sure is will work but its the road over the side of the Wrekin. http://www.strava.com/activities/219422866/segments/5184697390 should be the strava segment. This is by far the hardest hill I have found around Telford so far.

Its only short but I cant do anything other than get up over the front wheel and grind slowly away at it.

I know which bit you mean.

You need to learn to climb sat down with your arrse back on the saddle. You'll save energy and is actually easier this time of year as it's far too easy to spin the back wheel and then you're fuucked. Did it last week in a very sharp climb over here and had to unclip to stop myself falling off.

First ride on the Infinito today, it really is an epic bike, just glides along.

Rode back to my LBS for them to fit it properly for me. Typically, as I've been looking forward to this all week, I've come down with flu. Really shouldn't haven't taken it for a spin 'cos now I feel like death.

My LBS gave me an awesome deal on the Infinito ;-)

It really is a beautiful piece of kit.

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_12.11.50.png

I love the Infinito CV but I've already a C2C geometry Bianchi so want something faster hence the Oltre XR1 or Merckx San Remo 76.

Full carbon Athena with Fulcrum Zero wheels for £3k is very tempting!

As for feeling poorly and not riding I shall refer the honourable gentleman to Rule #5.

Tis the season to be thinking of new bikes I see. Had just about enough of this teaching lark so contemplating bailing out after 35 years so planning bike purchase with part of lump sum. Reckon I can go to around £3500 which puts that Bianchi in the frame. So far I've been to the Newbury Specialized Concept Store looking at Tarmac SL4s. Was shown an S-Works SL4 with SRAM Force, all carbon cockpit and Zipp 30 wheels, which they quoted me £3400 for that build. Trouble is I'm not a big fan of Specialized and if you park up outside Starbucks in Henley S-Works are two-a-penny. Probably will use Boutique Cycles near Hook. They stock Storck, Cervelo and Ritte as well as Cyfac. They reckon I'm into the realms of custom build.

As the Aldi advert goes. I like this one.

http://images1.slanecycles.com/bmz_cache/2/28bf3f18fdd271d777d9a67089bf4ea4.image.560x400.jpg

And I like this one.

http://www.cyclomonster.com/cart/storck-scentron-carbon-road-bike.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAs6GjBRCy2My09an6uNIBEiQANfY4zJYbNP0P7bhhWg3wAs7WKRWVNFVNpHL4Dk8z6P189rwaAhKw8P8HAQ#

Deviating from the ad, I also like this one too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-ritte-bosberg-3-0-14-48740/

Will be able to discuss build options when the time comes, but may well have to swap out stock wheels for my Ksyrium Elites on the Ridley depending on what they are. Only a new freehub to worry about there from Campag to Shimano.

I love the Infinito CV but I've already a C2C geometry Bianchi so want something faster hence the Oltre XR1 or Merckx San Remo 76.

Full carbon Athena with Fulcrum Zero wheels for £3k is very tempting!

As for feeling poorly and not riding I shall refer the honourable gentleman to Rule #5.

Rule #5 accepted. Hence really pushing myself to do a measly 40Km and now in bed with a fever since yesterday, oops!

Flat 110km yesterday as a threesome. One was a bit weak so he only did 10km of the 110km on the front with my usual partner and I doing 50km each.

We even stopped for coffee and cake which is almost unheard of on such a short ride.

Two 40km night rides planned for the week and then either a straightforward 100km base ride on Sunday or a spin out for a rapid 100km with the local road club.

Who's the P fairy and what has she got to do with making sure that tyres are mounted with the label centred over the valve stem?

P for puncture :-(

As in http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67150

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65298

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=88722

Bloody annoyed as I'd only done about 24 miles with that tube.

Edited by badgerx16

Out today 50k soaking wet and covered in sh!t when I got back. Went through a ford that was about half an inch under my bottom bracket, so freewheeling to keep my feet dry when some lovely lady drove though it in the car. Rouge wave got me about ankle high. Thanks.

Gave the bike a really proper all over clean when I got back home and held a moments silence before fitting the turbo tyre on the back. Not able to get out in the next couple of weeks due to various things so will have to put in the fun miles looking at the wall for a little while.

Recovery week last week, so mainly zone 2 stuff on turbo with one shorter threshold interval session squeezed in between. Start on some tempo sessions this week. All about providing a base for next year. This is the session I'll be starting with

Warm up 10 minutes

7.5 Minutes @ Tempo Pace Effort

Recovery 5 minutes

5 Minutes @ Tempo Pace Effort

Recovery 5 minutes

5 Minutes @ Tempo Pace Effort

5 minute cool down

Cadence 88-90 rpm

Will increase one 5 minute effort by by two and a half minute increments next week and the third interval similarly the week following that so by the end of three weeks will be doing 3 x seven and a half minute efforts. This is just to re-familiarise myself with working at this level of effort on a turbo. Will start 10 minute intervals at the beginning of Xmas week go from there. By Feb should be doing 15 minute efforts. This will be interspersed with more high-intensity intervals at this point than will be the case from now until January.

On my turbo my tempo pace is around 27.5 building to 29 kph. In the new year

Just an observation: If you think you need a new road bike, do a few miles on your flat bar winter slugger and then hop back on the summer road bike. It'll feel like some sort of £9k ultra-lightweight carbon Shimano Di2 weapon. Until you puncture :)

Seriously need to either get some puncture-resistant tyres for the road bike, or put the flat bar on a diet...

Just an observation: If you think you need a new road bike, do a few miles on your flat bar winter slugger and then hop back on the summer road bike. It'll feel like some sort of £9k ultra-lightweight carbon Shimano Di2 weapon. Until you puncture :)

Seriously need to either get some puncture-resistant tyres for the road bike, or put the flat bar on a diet...

I don't need. I want.

My winter bike is a summer bike, just winterized.

Now the temperatures are heading towards 0, anyone got some recommendations for colder weather gear without having to take out a second mortgage. ( Xmas list needs some bulking out)

I ride all winter (just been out) and all you really need is good tights, merino wool socks, overshoes as your feet will get really cold, a decent base layer, tonight I had a winter weight Adidas golf one one, a good jacket, mine is a Pearl Izumi Elite, good windproof gloves and a buff to stop the wind getting down your jacket. Head wear is personal, if it's really cold I'll wear a cap under the helmet.

I wear Campagnolo tights but the DHB ones on Wiggle are very highly regarded. Just make sure you get the fleece lined ones.

I probably could have gone with a standard baselayer tonight as I was doing hill climbing and was dripping sweat.

For daytime rides I'm (mainly) still in bibknickers, jersey with S/S base layer, arm warmers and gilet unless it's wet or really cold, with a packable jacket for any long descents if we've been up in the Peak District.

Now the temperatures are heading towards 0, anyone got some recommendations for colder weather gear without having to take out a second mortgage. ( Xmas list needs some bulking out)

As VFTT says, it's about layers; Wednesday morning was the first time since Feb that I've ridden at below 0 - I had a s/s thermal baselayer, with thermal lined arm warmers, Altura NightVision bibtights with a thin second pair of unpadded tights over the top, ( could be removed if I felt my legs were getting too warm ), a long sleeved winter jersey and a lightweight waterproof jacket over that. Winter gloves, thicker than normal socks, waterproof overshoes, and a balaclava motorcycle helmet liner.

I normally take a 'pick and mix' approach to what I wear, in my wardrobe I have a variety of base layers ( thickness and sleeve length ), I have 3 different types of full finger glove, 3 different types of overshoe ( windproof, waterproof, and arctic survival ), 3 thicknesses of arm warmer, and several varieties of leg wear - generally if it's above 3-4 degrees I'll wear normal bibshorts with an unpadded pair of leggings over the top. The only thing I have a problem with is the underside of my shoes, most overshoes don't cover the vents in the sole so your feet can still catch a bit of a chill.

As for manufacturer, some of my kit is mid to high range, some is ALDI and LIDL.

It's better to have to much on and be able to take something off than be cold and have nothing to put on.

If I've got my Altura waterproof on I'll only wear a baselayer as I get really warm in it but the key is as to whether it's SS, LS standard or LS heavy weight but I'll have one of the others tucked into a pocket just in case.

A packable jacket is great to take with you as long descents are bitterly cold at the moment and if your sweaty from the climb then you'll be miserable on the way down.

I'm on the hunt for some new overshoes and I'm also in the process of buying all new summer gear after flogging off all mine, at a profit I may add. Vermarc Tinto and Sportful for me next summer.

Either weear bibs with legwarmers. Prefer these to the tights as the zips on legs and at front don't exactly lock out properly so can come undone. Various base layers depending on temperature either short or long sleeved with any one of my tops over that, finally topped off with semi windproof jacket. Have various glove arrangements. Warmer days will wear normal mitts with Decathlon £1 black fleece gloves underneath, on colder days then its any of my full fingered gloves and I also have neoprene ones for coldest and wettest rides, mind you if it's cod and wet enough to need them then it's the garage and turbo for me. Various socks usually two pairs with neoprene overshoes. Suffer badly with cold feet. Must be an age thing. My first full cycling winter was around 5 years ago and was the coldest in 40 years, since then I've wised up and go out when weather permits and otherwise tick over in the garage. Screw Rules 5 and 10.

Not been so good this month. Heavy cold at start and then a persistent tooth infection that's taken three lots of antibiotics to clear. Only a couple of spins on the turbo recently, but nice to see no real drop off. On an even more positive front, plans to bail out of teaching and take early retirement in April are now looking good. The best part of 35 years teaching the teenagers of Berkshire and there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. When I emerge I will go for the N+1. Now looking at the Canyon option, not sure if I like the idea of direct selling with no opportunity to ride or be fitted for it, but you get plenty of bike per buck as these three which are on my radar show.

http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3614

http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3583

http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3677

Not been so good this month. Heavy cold at start and then a persistent tooth infection that's taken three lots of antibiotics to clear. Only a couple of spins on the turbo recently, but nice to see no real drop off. On an even more positive front, plans to bail out of teaching and take early retirement in April are now looking good. The best part of 35 years teaching the teenagers of Berkshire and there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. When I emerge I will go for the N+1. Now looking at the Canyon option, not sure if I like the idea of direct selling with no opportunity to ride or be fitted for it, but you get plenty of bike per buck as these three which are on my radar show.

www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3614

www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3583

www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3677

They make great bikes!

I looking at banging out 500km between now and NYE, that will also take me over 9000km for the year.

Did 250km last week with 2000+m of climbing. Felt sore yesterday.

They make great bikes!

I looking at banging out 500km between now and NYE, that will also take me over 9000km for the year.

Did 250km last week with 2000+m of climbing. Felt sore yesterday.

Fantastic stuff. Just looked at your stats on Strava. That's some kilometreage (that's not as easy as mileage to say!) I am unlikely to reach 6000 for the year, but looking forward to 2015. If retirement plans come to fruition then I could be in the Alps second week in June when Criterium du Dauphine is on. Looking to do Tour of Berkshire and St Georges's Sportive early season in the run up to Bourg d'Oisans, and Three Counties Cycle Ride just before, other plans not really formalised yet.

http://www.dengieevents.co.uk/#/tour-of-berkshire-cycle/4580041427

http://www.southernsportive.com/?go=sunday&page=event&eventid=150426