The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

It would appear that my throat issues are far more serious than I'd hoped so some enforced time off the bike is on its way after I go under the knife. Chase the Sun is definitely off as I'll be recovering and I'll have to manage my riding afterwards as treatment continues. Bit of a fu cker as I'm riding well at the moment. :(

Sorry to hear this, hope all goes well and you are back on it soon.

Let's see if the weather clears for a short shakedown ride tomorrow...

Fitted shiny new tyres - GP 4000s - and a new chain and need to test them before a 40-odd miler that I've got planned for Saturday. No ride for Sunday as I will be in Hamble for a party Saturday night and driving home on Sunday....

The chain is a little bit short. I counted the number of links in the old chain and cut the new one to the same number but I've changed the rear cassette recently - and added four more teeth which, as every pompey fan will tell you, makes a huge difference!! - there will be carnage if I forget and try and put it in the big ring at the front and the big ring at the back as the whole thing will jam up. That was just possible with the old chain but I've realised just how stretched that has become!!

Let's see if the weather clears for a short shakedown ride tomorrow...

Fitted shiny new tyres - GP 4000s - and a new chain and need to test them before a 40-odd miler that I've got planned for Saturday. No ride for Sunday as I will be in Hamble for a party Saturday night and driving home on Sunday....

The chain is a little bit short. I counted the number of links in the old chain and cut the new one to the same number but I've changed the rear cassette recently - and added four more teeth which, as every pompey fan will tell you, makes a huge difference!! - there will be carnage if I forget and try and put it in the big ring at the front and the big ring at the back as the whole thing will jam up. That was just possible with the old chain but I've realised just how stretched that has become!!

Good luck with that WSS. Hope it works out, if not it's a trip to the LBS for you. With regards to the Conti GP4000S tyres, I cannot fault them I run them on both road going bikes (as opposed to turbo bike) 23s on one and 25s GP4000S IIs on the other.

All went well with tyres, tubes and chain all working as expected :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/573456313

In terms of maintenance I've now ticked off bottom bracket replacement, chain replacement, rear cassette replacement as well as re-indexing both front and back dérailleurs. Added to the obvious, tyres, tubes and brakes. The only thing left - which I wouldn't want to do myself - is complete re-cabling, but there is no issue with the cables right now so the LBS will have to wait to earn more pennies from me!

The only thing left - which I wouldn't want to do myself - is complete re-cabling....

Not too difficult - did this as part of building my winter bike up on an old Raleigh frame; fully replaced the brakes and gears, including new combined shifters. The most fiddly bit, which you say you have already done, is indexing the rear derailleur.

A beautiful ride out in Brandywine country (Wilmington, DE) today. For the second weekend in the row wind played havoc.....with 20mph+ winds. Lots of hills and lots of wind but stunning countryside made up for all that. And a very well organized Fondo - with beer and BBQ at the end! Finding out that Saints are in Europe again, Spurs imploded and Skates lost just capped off a great day!!!

Changed position on the bike, amazing what a difference small changes can make. Saddle up at correct height based on the various guides and nudged forward slightly. Faster to work this morning than at any point in the last year and I know I'm putting more work in because my hamstrings ache. Also sorted out a slightly tweaky knee. This was a DIY fit based on online guides, although like the idea of getting a proper fit.

So, it's [give or take a day or two] the anniversary of my first bike ride today with the first one being the Saturday of the second May bank holiday weekend last year.

My first ride gave these results : https://www.strava.com/activities/341555034

12 months later, 3,431 miles under my belt and two stone lost from under my belt! and my anniversary ride produced many new PRs : https://www.strava.com/activities/590406378

Onwards to the next 12 months and hopefully another two stone to be shed!!!

Kudos duly given. looks like a good few lumps in that Bx16

Once I get as far East as the A6, there isn't any more flat. My 56 yo knees complain a bit on the 'up's, but my boyish bravado enjoys the 'down's. There are 2 really long descents on that route, and on relatively empty roads speed is easily built up and maintained. However the second one has one major issue, two thirds of the way down there is a crossroads, and as you are on the minor road, you need to remember to brake !!!

There is a set ride up here called the Bowland Badass, I've ridden about 80% of the route, ( accumulated over several rides I have to admit ), the only bits I've not done are the 2 biggest climbs, but hopefully I'll get them done soon. ( There's no way I'd try it all in one go ).

Edited by badgerx16

Once I get as far East as the A6, there isn't any more flat. My 56 yo knees complain a bit on the 'up's, but my boyish bravado enjoys the 'down's. There are 2 really long descents on that route, and on relatively empty roads speed is easily built up and maintained. However the second one has one major issue, two thirds of the way down there is a crossroads, and as you are on the minor road, you need to remember to brake !!!

There is a set ride up here called the Bowland Badass, I've ridden about 80% of the route, ( accumulated over several rides I have to admit ), the only bits I've not done are the 2 biggest climbs, but hopefully I'll get them done soon. ( There's no way I'd try it all in one go ).

Have you a link the the Badass as I like the sound of that?

So, it's [give or take a day or two] the anniversary of my first bike ride today with the first one being the Saturday of the second May bank holiday weekend last year.

My first ride gave these results : https://www.strava.com/activities/341555034

12 months later, 3,431 miles under my belt and two stone lost from under my belt! and my anniversary ride produced many new PRs : https://www.strava.com/activities/590406378

Onwards to the next 12 months and hopefully another two stone to be shed!!!

Top job.

From personal experience the weight loss slowed down in the second year despite mileage and speed going up. Your legs will end up well toned but if you've got fat above the waist cycling doesn't seem to shift it.

The 3 Counties Cycle Ride provided a welcome break from the frothing at the mouth and general insanity on the main board. There have been a few sane posts, however (take a bow VFTT) but a 50 mile sportive starting in Bracknell, (Berks) heading out to Christmas Common (Oxon) before a very brief interlude in Bucks seemed like the perfect antidote. About 25 club members from Team Boutique headed off at around 8:30. The pace was crazy and by Binfield I was off the back contemplating a lonely 47 or so miles. Getting caught the wrong side of the lights at Twyford didn't help and by this point only a couple of stragglers were in sight. Towards Sonning two team members were at the side of the road fixing a puncture on one of their bikes which put me back in contact with at least some of the team. A few minutes later a group of the team's lady riders scuttled by and the three of us got on the end of the group. The first main climb on the route is up to the village of Dunsden Green from Playhatch, nothing too steep, but a bit draggy but effectively the start of 23K uphill. Ok it was punctuated by short descents but most is on the B481 through Nettlebed to the top of Pishill. A second puncture stop within the group ensued around Highmoor which was the result of a split in the tyre wall, unusual on Conti GP 4000S IIs, and after a bodged repair we decided that a new tyre was the safest option when we passed through Henley. The bit from Christmas Common down to Stonor and into Henley is quick and once a new tyre had been bought and fitted the only other obstacle was the Flowerpot (pub) climb from Aston Village up Remenham Hill. The drop back to the A4 and then down to White Waltham was a breeze along with the road back towards Binfield. After this we were going back the way we came through Binfield and into Bracknell. My sub three hour target wasn't achieved but my moving time around the course extrapolated from my time for the whole ride was just over 3:10. The club's ladies and a couple of other blokes were ideal riding companions and the former a certainly no slouches when it comes to it. All in all a thoroughly enjoy able morning on the road in brilliant weather. Chapeau the ladies of Team Boutique!

Two lazy sunshine rides for me this week as I recover from surgery. 1st a 165km. 100km with some older mates and 65km solo as they started to flag https://www.strava.com/activities/601602762 and a very lazy bimble with an ex-forces oppo today of 95km down to RAF Cosford. https://www.strava.com/activities/603745715

I must be turning gay post surgery as both have involved cafe stops and I never stop!

Might try and sneak a flat/quick 75km tomorrow PM as I'm on daddy duty with my girls on Saturday as my lad and Mrs head to Lords.

Two lazy sunshine rides for me this week as I recover from surgery. 1st a 165km. 100km with some older mates and 65km solo as they started to flag https://www.strava.com/activities/601602762 and a very lazy bimble with an ex-forces oppo today of 95km down to RAF Cosford. https://www.strava.com/activities/603745715

I must be turning gay post surgery as both have involved cafe stops and I never stop!

Might try and sneak a flat/quick 75km tomorrow PM as I'm on daddy duty with my girls on Saturday as my lad and Mrs head to Lords.

Stopping is good (very occasionally and only if you run out of water) Older is definitely good. Wish I'd seen the cycling light earlier, holding on to speed as you approach 60 is a bit of a challenge! Have a pass next year (my 60th year) to the Alps, staying in Huez village two/thirds the way up the Alpe, can't wait. Training starts now, well yesterday. Happy days.

Worst group ride I have been on tonight. Over 50 in the 3s - way too many and it was not good. Many in the group were riding 5 or 6 abreast and refusing to move over for cars coming up behind and a lot of drama and anger. Also the group warned by the cops for running a stop sign but chose to ignore the warning. First time experiencing this and think I will go back to the 4s which is a little slower but far more sociable.

Unfortunately tonight showed why so many motorists have a problem with cyclists: the few ruining it for the many.

Worst group ride I have been on tonight. Over 50 in the 3s - way too many and it was not good. Many in the group were riding 5 or 6 abreast and refusing to move over for cars coming up behind and a lot of drama and anger. Also the group warned by the cops for running a stop sign but chose to ignore the warning. First time experiencing this and think I will go back to the 4s which is a little slower but far more sociable.

Unfortunately tonight showed why so many motorists have a problem with cyclists: the few ruining it for the many.

On a few occasions our club Saturday social ride we have set off with upwards of 25 riders which is way too many, especially on the roads of north Hampshire and Berkshire. It is not easy to maintain group discipline especially with riders of different levels and a policy of no-one being left behind. We don't tend to be more than two abreast when roads and traffic allow, and it is the responsibility of the ride leader and 'rear gunner' to respond to traffic situations as and when we need to ride in single file. It tends to work OK but it doesn't alter the fact that a group of this size is way too it is too big. That many riders even doubled up represents a moving hazard at least the length of an articulated truck so it pays to be as user friendly to other road users to avoid horns honking/close passes and other driving behaviour that puts cyclists at risk. General opinion is that 12-15 is about the maximum number for a group ride.

We occasionally get upwards of 25 during the warmer months depending on if anyone is racing or not. Our biggest issue is speed. Our pace is often too slow for the likes of me but my pace is too fast for 50% of the rest. However, road discipline is always good and we single up when required and never ride more than 2 abreast.

To solve the pace issue we tend to keep it steady for the 1st half and then we start to build the tempo and as the group fragments the gruppeto is formed. This means the final 1/4 is balls out and the average speed will head up north of 40kmph. This is always the best part of the ride, especially as I have a good sprint. :D

We also have a "prison rules" chaingang which is really brutal with people being shelled out from about 1/2 way.

We also have lots of small group social rides of around 60miles with a cafe stop and mega 120-130milers up into the Peaks with 10,000 - 15,000ft of climbing. The latter have been used as C2C training rides and they will tapper out after next weekend when that's actually completed.

On a personal note as treatment kicks in my distance/speed/endurance/ability will take it's toll for 6 months or so but I should end up at my perfect race weight for next season. :D No more, after the next few weeks, monster rides. :(

Good luck with the treatment. The roads over here are wider than the UK and many are 2/3 lanes wide so groups can be a bit bigger than the UK. However, sure this is the same in the UK, there are some (mainly younger riders) who really are quite full of themselves and refuse to listen to anyone or anything. Last night yelling the usual 'car back' was totally ignored and cars had to follow for 1/2 to 1 mile because riders were choosing to ignore the warnings.

Even on the faster rides it is still good to outpace these 'elite' folks when the hills kick in!

Even on the faster rides it is still good to outpace these 'elite' folks when the hills kick in!

Lol. I overtook my first person going up Cheddar Gorge on Saturday :) I noticed him ahead as I came through the 'steep bit' and it flattened off to about 6-7%. I've no idea why but something inside me just made me pedal faster to catch him up - I guess it's because he's the first person I've ever seen not pulling away from me on the climbs!! As I went past him I was desperately trying not to show how much I was hanging out my arse as I gave a cheery 'morning'! About half a mile later he over took me again, but that's fine, I'd achieved my goal and was saving myself for the last KM segment when I could put the hammer down again....

Managed to get a new PB of 16:41 for the 2.5 miles of Cheddar - compared with 21:14 for my first ever go at it less than a year ago. I'd set myself a target of getting up there in less than 20 mins by the end of the summer, that had changed to less than 18 mins after April when my first go of the year beat the 20 min mark! I've now set a new goal of 15 mins by the end of the year....

Lol. I overtook my first person going up Cheddar Gorge on Saturday :) I noticed him ahead as I came through the 'steep bit' and it flattened off to about 6-7%. I've no idea why but something inside me just made me pedal faster to catch him up - I guess it's because he's the first person I've ever seen not pulling away from me on the climbs!! As I went past him I was desperately trying not to show how much I was hanging out my arse as I gave a cheery 'morning'! About half a mile later he over took me again, but that's fine, I'd achieved my goal and was saving myself for the last KM segment when I could put the hammer down again....

Managed to get a new PB of 16:41 for the 2.5 miles of Cheddar - compared with 21:14 for my first ever go at it less than a year ago. I'd set myself a target of getting up there in less than 20 mins by the end of the summer, that had changed to less than 18 mins after April when my first go of the year beat the 20 min mark! I've now set a new goal of 15 mins by the end of the year....

Nice!

Went out for a spin with a new saddle which ended up as a 150km mix of smashfest club ride and social.

I have my saddle all the way forward but clearly hadn't tightened it enough as when I got home it was all the way back. I wondered why my back was aching and my ar_se was getting sore. Schoolboy error.

gorgeous organized century ride out in Franklin COunty, PA today. Weather was 89 degrees, low humidity and stunning countryside and mountains. All the big rollers for mile 20 to 50 got the legs working hard ready for the 4.5 mile Cat 2 climb at mile 70....lots of folks had gone out too hard and were cramping on the climb or stopping.

Fantastic ride and the Centuries out here in the US are great opportunities to meet new people and socialize.....sod going for a super fast time, you meet some great people and far nicer riding in a small group than alone or in a huge group.

gorgeous organized century ride out in Franklin COunty, PA today. Weather was 89 degrees, low humidity and stunning countryside and mountains. All the big rollers for mile 20 to 50 got the legs working hard ready for the 4.5 mile Cat 2 climb at mile 70....lots of folks had gone out too hard and were cramping on the climb or stopping.

Fantastic ride and the Centuries out here in the US are great opportunities to meet new people and socialize.....sod going for a super fast time, you meet some great people and far nicer riding in a small group than alone or in a huge group.

One of the main reasons I joined the club was to do add a social element to riding after a good few years as a 'lone wolf'. Saturday's ride was a bit quicker than usual averaging around 17mph mainly because there were only 10 in the group. Headed out to Odiham and through to Old Basing via Upton Grey and then on past Tylney Hall through Rotherwick to the A33.From there it follows what the club refer to as the Italian Loop (No idea why) anyway it was a great ride in quintessentially English countryside.

That's it, my last ride for 2-3 weeks :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/615895718

Off to the hospital in a minute to undergo 'carpal tunnel relief surgery' on my right hand which only takes about 30 minutes but will leave me with four or five stitches in my palm, preventing any riding.

Not such a bad thing as my legs have become knackered over the past week as I've been squeezing in as much riding as possible to make up for my enforced absence!

So, apparently, despite being told I was being booked in for an operation by my previous consultant, it turns out that Tuesday was yet another 'consultation', bringing the total to 3 different consultants, one GP, two specialist nurses and countless admin / secretarial staff that I've seen before finally - fingers crossed - being booked in for the enormous 20 minute operation on the 6th of July.

In the meantime, I've been taking advantage of any breaks in the weather and wearing my knees out even more :)

I've finally joined the 'century' [kilometres] club with this morning's ride of 67 miles. The first 40 were pretty easy despite taking a wrong turn and ending up on the A39 with heavy lorries running past at 60 followed by a torrential downpour just outside of Glastonbury at which point I got off the bike and snuck in to a bus shelter to avoid the worst of it! The last 25 miles were pretty tough going, my knees had given up on me and I was heading West straight in to the wind which had picked up from a gentle 5mph on the way out where it was a following wind to about 20mph as a head wind! All in, not a bad ride considering with the plus point of burning through 5,200 calories having had no breakfast and snacking on a grand total of six jelly babies for the whole ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/620103505

Have a West Coast business trip this week. Really excited as I have a 'down' day in San Francisco and have got a top of the range road rental bike booked and will be doing the Alpine Dam Loop and Mt Tam in Marin County. This is truly a stunning part of the world and I really wanted to bike this area when on vacation with the family a couple of years ago. Really hilly and simply stunning views.

Highlight of the business trip (at least I hope it is!).

Absolute stunner of a ride in Marin County, Ca today. Incredible riding on the Pacific Highway and through Redwood forests. Simply the best ride I have ever done (albeit slow). Some of the climbs were brutal in the extreme and I certainly needed the compact on the rented Bianchi.

If you ever get the chance to ride in Marin County - take it!

https://www.strava.com/activities/624121016

With everyone's long rides out of the way I've switched to doing some solo speed work. 40miles at 20+mph on rolling roads. Keeps the heart pumping an usually means 75% of the ride in Z4 which takes it's toll. https://www.strava.com/activities/628527021

Had a bit of a mental club ride on Saturday as all the quick boys were out in a peleton of about 28. Started of sensibly enough but by 1/2 way there were splits, attacks, counter attacks etc and the usual mental sprint finish. I'd buried myself bridging across to a big break after being caught at the back gassing so had no legs for the sprint which was a pity but did have them strung out in one line as I led out at 50kmph on one town sign sprint. https://www.strava.com/activities/627350622

Yay.......finally got the OK from the missus to go do Mount Evans next week when out in Denver for my kids soccer tournament. Highest paved road in the US and not sure how I will handle the altitude (14,000+ feet) but looking forward to giving it a try. Reading reviews the last week or so looks like it will need to be winter weather gear!

If it's this one, then you are mental!! https://www.strava.com/segments/642991

My knees are sore just looking at that segment so I can't imagine what they'd be like if I ever started to ride up it!!!

Nah, that's easily rideable as the average gradient is so shallow. The only concern would be the altitude but otherwise that's a big ring climb. I'd much rather do a long shallow climb like that than some of the Pyrenees climbs I did last summer which are half the distance but brutal in their steepness. https://www.strava.com/segments/1923 https://www.strava.com/segments/1162584

This is a comparable ride which some of my mates did this year. Again, they are far from mountain goats but found it straightforward due to the shallowness of the climb. https://www.strava.com/segments/707733

To tick off the highest paved road in the States though would certainly be bloody awesome though so fingers crossed for a great ascent and an awesome descent and stay rubber side down.

That is the segment - because of time constraints I will be starting at the Ranger station and not Idaho Springs. That will halve the distance and leave about 3.5K of elevation change.

It is the altitude I am most concerned about - the climb will start at over 10K feet. Hoping nice and slow and steady will do the trick as I have the fitness at sea level. Not sure about bug ring though!!!!

No room for error on the descent that's for sure!

VFTT - I thought you were off the bike yet you still seem to be doing mental mileage?

That is the segment - because of time constraints I will be starting at the Ranger station and not Idaho Springs. That will halve the distance and leave about 3.5K of elevation change.

It is the altitude I am most concerned about - the climb will start at over 10K feet. Hoping nice and slow and steady will do the trick as I have the fitness at sea level. Not sure about bug ring though!!!!

No room for error on the descent that's for sure!

VFTT - I thought you were off the bike yet you still seem to be doing mental mileage?

I am off at the moment and been off/on over the last few weeks, but might go for a spin shortly to see how I'm feeling. The amount of ride time will start to dip in about 3 weeks and most likely stay that way through to about October/November and then, hopefully, kick back in as normal. I do plan on being on the Smart Trainer when I can't be out on the road.

Planning on doing Amstel Gold again in April and Chase The Sun in June so plenty to train for but I'm also racing again next year, fitness and health permitting, so Winter training is already being planned as by club has a proper race team now and I'm one of the big diesel rouleurs that will be dragging the speed bunnies around on the road races. I'm leaving the crits alone.

Another cracking group ride in the beautiful Virginia countryside - glorious day with temperatures in the high 80s and low humidity (quite rare for this time of year out here!).

The best thing right now though is my 12 year old boy has decided he wants to take up cycling. Couple of lovely rides around 20 miles each with him this weekend and in a year or two I think I will be struggling to keep up. getting him off his computer games and enjoying being outside makes all the efforts worthwhile and seeing him enjoy himself, with a big smile on his face and having serious bonding time is totally awesome!

Another cracking group ride in the beautiful Virginia countryside - glorious day with temperatures in the high 80s and low humidity (quite rare for this time of year out here!).

The best thing right now though is my 12 year old boy has decided he wants to take up cycling. Couple of lovely rides around 20 miles each with him this weekend and in a year or two I think I will be struggling to keep up. getting him off his computer games and enjoying being outside makes all the efforts worthwhile and seeing him enjoy himself, with a big smile on his face and having serious bonding time is totally awesome!

This is where we need a like button.

Whilst I can appreciate how great it is as a dad I'm really delighted that none of my 3 have shown any interest in road cycling leaving it as "dad's thing". That said, the two girls are into horses which makes my carbon addiction look cheap.

Quite week for me on the bike due to having some surgery on Monday and my body not quite recovering yet. Did a 60km charity sportive ride with my mate yesterday as shotgun for a group of ladies in appalling weather. It was slow, it was wet and the lanes were utterly, utterly miserable and two fords impassable but the cake was stunning at the hot food at the end, glorious.

Back on the bike from Tuesday for some proper miles for a couple of weeks hopefully.

Recovery going well then VFTT? I hear you to a degree.....poodling along at a slow speed can be frustrating which is why he wanted to go out today and I said no, group ride for me! Missus not happy but I could not have done 3 days in a row!

Recovery going well then VFTT? I hear you to a degree.....poodling along at a slow speed can be frustrating which is why he wanted to go out today and I said no, group ride for me! Missus not happy but I could not have done 3 days in a row!

It's just the recovery from the pre-treatment prep I'm afraid which has been 3 lots of day surgery. The proper treatment, which starts in a couple of weeks, will have my on my a*se for a good few weeks alas.