Saints Magazine....

georgeweahscousin

...after contributing to the latest issue of 'Blowing Bubbles' I've been approached by the owners to perhaps do the same for Saints.

Basically a monthly A5 magazine of decent quality, to be charged at a minimal amount at first and then made completely free once the advertising funds it.

Here is their latest issue with my piece on page 19:- http://www.blowing-bubbles.co.uk/read-our-latest-issue.html

What do you think? A goer at St. Mary's or not worth it?

In theory, yeah, might be interested. In practise, there is so much free content out there I can't even be bothered to read, it would have to be really interesting and different stuff and I can't imagine paying for it even then.

On the bright side, I think your blog is in that category, so that's a leg up on some of the other stuff that's out there.

In theory, yeah, might be interested. In practise, there is so much free content out there I can't even be bothered to read, it would have to be really interesting and different stuff and I can't imagine paying for it even then.

On the bright side, I think your blog is in that category, so that's a leg up on some of the other stuff that's out there.

Nutshell.

The availability of fan-sites and media online has for me rendered the fanzine obsolete. I cannot see what a specific fanzine can offer that would be entirely unique.

Nutshell.

The availability of fan-sites and media online has for me rendered the fanzine obsolete. I cannot see what a specific fanzine can offer that would be entirely unique.

I honestly think the only way it could work, even with ad-based revenue and free content, would be to gather all the best Saints stuff from the various corners of the web in one place, with professional production values, and a near-daily editorial and rapid-response to the issues interesting fans.

To a certain extent, that would involve SaintsWeb's Greatest Hits This Month on a timely basis to reflect the issues being discussed, plus (possibly) some unique content from a variety of decent bloggers. And even then it needs a USP like the cartoons the old Saints fanzines had.

Obviously until I can get the link above to work I don't know if that's exactly what this is...

Obviously until I can get the link above to work I don't know if that's exactly what this is...

It has the feel of an official club publication, and apparently it's done with the approval of the club, hence it's got a big interview with David Gold in it.

Fanzines of the past have always had the ability and freedom to criticise and take the **** out of people at their own club - with a club-approved publication, that freedom diminishes pretty rapidly as the editors don't want to risk losing the perks. At which point, what's the point of it all, why not just read the matchday programme?

I don't get online magazines. They are more annoying to navigate than a website (zooming in, virtually turning pages, etc). A magazine in your hands is good; a website is good. An online magazine is awful. The internet has great opportunities for navigation, video, hyperlinks, etc. Publishing a magazine layout on the internet is daft.

I don't get online magazines. They are more annoying to navigate than a website (zooming in, virtually turning pages, etc). A magazine in your hands is good; a website is good. An online magazine is awful. The internet has great opportunities for navigation, video, hyperlinks, etc. Publishing a magazine layout on the internet is daft.

Also this.

If you're going to provide a magazine online, just give me a PDF of the print layout, I'm capable of scrolling through pages myself :wave:

I bought the last fanzine which was being sold on the Northam Rd footbridge a couple of years ago, the first edition completely missed the mark for me, bought the second one out of hope and support, it was even less in line with what I'd wanted to see, didn't bother after that.

I query where the market is for it. Generally you're either web-savvy and can get the information you want online already, or you're not and will only read "official" sources.

First point nice contribution from yourself in the hammers magazine.

As to whether a similar feature could work for saints others have very much said it, in theory, yes.

For me I like the idea of an independent monthly fanzine and think it would do decent trade with hard copies on match-day. The Wham magazine seemed to have good content from a range of sources - fans, legends, current staff and sports journalists (who always seem to write more interesting pieces outside of official club or red top publications) and, if that could be replicated, there is likely to be an audience for it.

As for the paid till self-sustaining model again in theory I could get behind that but I do feel that making the first issue free (or as close to free as possible) may be the best way to build a decent potential market of paid readers (both of a matchday hardcopy and online).

I'd love to see a fanzine come out like the ones in the late 80s/early 90s, Ugly Inside, Red Stripe, On the March, I'd definitely buy that.

You missed the early, first and best: Junk Mail. From the time when content and not production values were important. I believe editorial meeting were held at a certain hostelry in St. Denys..

I'd quite like to see a thread on here showing all the cartoons from the various fanzines over the years. I didn't keep a single copy of any I bought so can't start one. Someone indulge me.

I would imagine Daren W and or Nick Illingsworth would be the best bet for that but I don't think Daren has posted on here fir a while & nick has his own website.