Gazza

waggy

A total waste of space, I have no time for him and have no sympathy what so ever for him . He had everything more than I ever will have and also a wife beater . The media should stop feeling sorry for him , he's had far too many chances

Why should we help him anymore ?

He has serious mental health problems

what a player he was in his prime.

Absolutely brilliant IMO, best English player I've ever seen.

Didn't you see Le Tiss, or doesn't he count as English?

Yes, Gazza was something special. My brother-in-law used to drink with him and Gazza even out drank him, which is saying something.

Ex lion tamer .

I was previously supportive of him , but he has been through that many privately run detox programmes . More than the every day person has access to. Therefore he should have firmly grasped the hand of support he has been offered but hasn't taken it ,

I'm not sure what his mental health problems are exactly but I suspect he has ignored some of that support .

I also believe the media were wrong to shove his latest pictures on the front pages

It's very sad to see someone in that state but his recovery is very much dependent on himself

I know what alcoholism does to folk as I have mentioned in posts last year on this subject re two nephews who died from alcoholism at a young age .

A troubled genius.He was always odd in a funny kind of way, but that masked his mental problems.Very sad to see anyone like it, but somebody you have seen go from a fun youngster to this is very sad. Whether he deserves more help is another question

Pity he didn't go to Man Utd.

Maybe Fergie would have kept him on the straight and narrow and he may have spent less time on the town in London with his "mates" Danny Baker and Chris Evans.

Wonder where they are now when he really needs friends?

Ex lion tamer .

I was previously supportive of him , but he has been through that many privately run detox programmes . More than the every day person has access to. Therefore he should have firmly grasped the hand of support he has been offered but hasn't taken it ,

I'm not sure what his mental health problems are exactly but I suspect he has ignored some of that support .

I also believe the media were wrong to shove his latest pictures on the front pages

It's very sad to see someone in that state but his recovery is very much dependent on himself

I know what alcoholism does to folk as I have mentioned in posts last year on this subject re two nephews who died from alcoholism at a young age .

He has bipolar disorder which is corrupting his brain and therefore his decisions. I think he's a good person at heart, as everyone who knew him in his younger days seems to emphasise. I don't blame him for the bad stuff because everything he does is a result of the mental illness, even when he has refused treatment (which is speculation on your part).

Unfortunately I don't think he will ever get better, but he deserves sympathy because I don't think he is happy at all, no matter what he does to fight the depression, and probably never will be

Maybe Fergie would have kept him on the straight and narrow and he may have spent less time on the town in London with his "mates" Danny Baker and Chris Evans.

Didn't Chris Evans (as well as others, Lineker et al) pay for his treatment when he was unwell recently?

I've seen the impact of alcoholism and I feel nothing but sympathy for those around him. He needs help, but to be honest it would seem he has received as much as it is possible to give.

As sadoldgit says...the situation is just very, very sad

Kingdom I agree . It's the people around him that need the support .. It's seriously messes the family and friends up .

I know I lost twin nephews in a space of a year to alcohol abuse . No matter what support the family and I gave , they just did not want to know. One discharged himself from hospital and straight to the local pub . He was dead within 24 hours

They were not as lucky as Gasgoine with all the professional support he or his friends have paud for . Yes it's sad but had a choice as did my twin nephews . They refused it for what ever reason

Kingdom I agree . It's the people around him that need the support .. It's seriously messes the family and friends up .

I know I lost twin nephews in a space of a year to alcohol abuse . No matter what support the family and I gave , they just did not want to know. One discharged himself from hospital and straight to the local pub . He was dead within 24 hours

They were not as lucky as Gasgoine with all the professional support he or his friends have paud for . Yes it's sad but had a choice as did my twin nephews . They refused it for what ever reason

The reason being illness mate. Mental illness are just as destructive and devastating as any other illness.

It's frustrating for people that have suffered or witnessed love ones struggle with mental illness hear it be called a choice.

If someone has cancer, receive treatment which is unsuccessful you don't blame the person. You don't say they are not deserving of more treatment, you also don't blame them if the cancer (well, more likely something brought on by the cancer, i.e. seizure, stroke etc) ultimately kills them. There is a strange double standard when it comes to Mental Health. It must be the sufferers fault. Look how many times they have had help. It's his choice to be ill.

Sorry, it doesn't wash. It's an illness, not a choice. I do not believe for one minute Gazza or anyone with these issues chooses to get into this sort of state. Why on earth would they?

Exactly, where are they ?? It does make you think though how much of a part those people he surrounded himself with have a role to play in his demise.

Why is everybody assuming that his friends have left him to rot?

Just because they weren't there when a photo was taken it doesn't mean that they weren't/aren't trying to help him.

They may have done but there is absolutely nothing that I have seen that shows that this is the case other than blind speculation.

Why is everybody assuming that his friends have left him to rot?

Just because they weren't there when a photo was taken it doesn't mean that they weren't/aren't trying to help him.

They may have done but there is absolutely nothing that I have seen that shows that this is the case other than blind speculation.

As I said above, a number of them arranged and paid for his treatment last time he was in trouble. Hardly abandoning him.

Kelvins glove

Just to correct you and to advise one size does not fit all , My late nephews did not have a mental illness . They just had a taste for alcohol , it was their drug nothing more and nothing less ,

Mental illness hits lots of people, and in many cases it is an invisible illness . unless you know the person .

I met up last week end with some former army medic colleagues . One was bipolar . What a great guy and a long standing saints fan. There was a thread the other week about mental illness and you would be suprised how many of us on here are affected by mental illness . !

There is help out there re alcoholism and I don't know if it's the same down here but in Scotland the onus is for the invidual to seek help before treatment can begin . It's about time that was changed and the NHS and co took the lead in treating people straight away instead of the opposite . Part of my job deals with such matters, you know someone has a problem with alcohol and when you ask the pros to see the individual , they will not unless they personally ask for help , many individuals say they do not drink or have not had a drink for several weeks . They are lying to themselves , their carers and GP's etc

I'm not being moralistic and certainly not trying to be . My belief is that the support services need to be more proactive and taken action as soon as someone falls of the wagon , instead of intervening when it is too late. It is a sad state of affairs , was there any support for Gaza who hen he first hit the bottle again . He might have been treated for mental illness but was there any immediate intervention for stopping his drinking ?? Was he on long term detox medication ?

Edited by Viking Warrior