J-Rod

Edmonton Saint

Have to say I feel a bit let down by Jay, we've offered him a contract even though he was injured and we had no assurances he would get better and yet he won't sign it, has obviously been tapped by that disrespectful argie *****, but i still think he should have signed and given us another year as he will have been out on full pay for the best part of a season when he does get back

Have to say I feel a bit let down by Jay, we've offered him a contract even though he was injured and we had no assurances he would get better and yet he won't sign it, has obviously been tapped by that disrespectful argie *****, but i still think he should have signed and given us another year as he will have been out on full pay for the best part of a season when he does get back

He doesn't owe Saints anything. They could and should have offered a new contract ages ago.

So he's not played for what will almost be a season, in that time he's had the best medical care and rehab money can buy, now he's getting better he won't sign a contract knowing full well we'll have to sell him on the cheap to spurs or get nothing for him, nope doesn't owe us a thing.

And I agree we should have offered him a new contract ages ago, doesn't change the fact he is being disrepesctful to Saints after what we've done for him, no doubt put up to it by levy and the argie *****

So he's not played for what will almost be a season, in that time he's had the best medical care and rehab money can buy, now he's getting better he won't sign a contract knowing full well we'll have to sell him on the cheap to spurs or get nothing for him, nope doesn't owe us a thing.

And I agree we should have offered him a new contract ages ago, doesn't change the fact he is being disrepesctful to Saints after what we've done for him, no doubt put up to it by levy and the argie *****

Agreed, well said.

This

We are getting him fit again, just in time for the January transfer window, when he'll be gone

Unless Ralph The Ruthless reminds him he's under Contract, whatever good that will do

I can't see Jay back before Dec 1. I know he was moving in that video but he wasn't cutting and moving laterally, not that he should be at this point but I think it's a long road ahead for the body to heal and be mentally comfortable again. Poch would be bonkers to take a punt on him in January. Maybe he leaves in the summer but not now and not in January.

Have to say I find the recovery time from ACL reconstructions in professional sport very strange. My ACL went in 2011 and it was 12 months to recover. Now, I realise that I wasn't in the gym doing work with physios every day in world-class facilities like Rodriguez, but the surgeon was very clear in saying that after 7-8 months, my knee might feel completely normal but that it takes another 4 months after that point for the graft to become scar tissue and regain full strength. He said something along the lines of 70% of people who return to sport less than 12 months after an ACL reconstruction suffer a recurrence because of this.

I'm no doctor but that's my personal experience and it seems very odd to me.

Don't worry about him being tapped up, MoPo will be sacked before JayRod is fit again.

Have to say I find the recovery time from ACL reconstructions in professional sport very strange. My ACL went in 2011 and it was 12 months to recover. Now, I realise that I wasn't in the gym doing work with physios every day in world-class facilities like Rodriguez, but the surgeon was very clear in saying that after 7-8 months, my knee might feel completely normal but that it takes another 4 months after that point for the graft to become scar tissue and regain full strength. He said something along the lines of 70% of people who return to sport less than 12 months after an ACL reconstruction suffer a recurrence because of this.

I'm no doctor but that's my personal experience and it seems very odd to me.

Generally with Aussie Rules Footballers, there are probably about 5-10 players a season that do an ACL. If these players go down the path of the controversial "LARS" which I think uses stemcell growth and or artificial ligaments to repair the damamge, they can be back within 4-5 months playing. The treatment is a bit experimental i think still and the downside is, if the ACL goes again I think you need to then have a traditional ACL procedure performed.

The problem with this is exactly what you say leeham. As a rule, a player is out for a season , if he goes the traditional ACL reconstruction. So usually its around 10 months recovery or so with full physio and the best of recovery avaialable. Even then, the amount of players that come back and within 6 months do the other ACL or the same ACL again is freaking scary.

In my opinion those suggesting Jay will be back playing in the next few weeks or this year are in "Pretend Land" he will not play for Saints until next year, my prediction is Feb or March, and even then I would not expect much from him for the rest of the season... Football like Aussie Rules, requires more than just running in a straight line, if a player cant cut, turn, spin and change direction quickly they are useless..... It will take alot of time before J Rod is able to do that with any sort of confidence and unfortunately there is a chance that he may have a recurrence of the injury (heaven forbid because I would never ever ever wish an ACL on anyone let alone twice) and there is a very strong chance that he just may never be the same..... seen it plenty of times... Thats why when i saw him fall in that match... I almost cried for the guy... It seriously would have been better if he had both his legs snap in half

So in summary

If he wants out and we are offered good money in January, it would represent a massive massive risk for anyone buying. As sad as it would be.... he should be sold. But it wont happen as he wont be playing and no manager is insane enough to buy a player for good money that hasnt played for 9 months.

Two ways of looking it:

1) We are helping him recover which in turns helps him remain a professional footballer, thus protecting his livelihood. He could repay this trust in club on the pitch, as we'd all like him to.

2) The club have a vested interested in his recovery as a healthy player is more tradable asset than a crocked one. Indeed, a player with the kind of injury he had would effectively be dead and buried at a club with a poorer or no medical team. The club would have to write the asset off. By getting him better, Saints can demand a higher price if they do sell him (which we don't them to).

I mentioned the JRod video to my personal trainer, who works on ACL recovery, and he thinks at this stage his ACL is still basically mush. Training will be about supporting the muscles around the ACL.

He said that although he will feel strong, the ACL itself is not representative of how he will look and feel. Recovery time to having a strong ACL just takes time and the body mechanics that do not test the ACL will be conditioned. it's not like an injury where a bone is measurably "healed" I.e. Beckham metatarsal using a bone healer to speed recovery.

Below explains the recovery stages:

http://www.willisstreetphysiotherapy.co.nz/rehabilitation-following-acl.html

I mentioned the JRod video to my personal trainer, who works on ACL recovery, and he thinks at this stage his ACL is still basically mush. Training will be about supporting the muscles around the ACL.

He said that although he will feel strong, the ACL itself is not representative of how he will look and feel. Recovery time to having a strong ACL just takes time and the body mechanics that do not test the ACL will be conditioned. it's not like an injury where a bone is measurably "healed" I.e. Beckham metatarsal using a bone healer to speed recovery.

Below explains the recovery stages:

http://www.willisstreetphysiotherapy.co.nz/rehabilitation-following-acl.html

For this not interested in reading more, the two main bullet points worth noting are:

The ACL graft at 6 months is 50% of normal breaking strength, at 8 months 80% of normal breaking strength.

Return to sport may be initiated at 4-6 months but full contact sport not until 9-12 months.

Don't worry about him being tapped up, MoPo will be sacked before JayRod is fit again.

IMHO, I think MoPo will do well at the Spuds

I also think that any player coming back from an ACL injury, never comes back with the knee 100% back to what it was

Therefore, IMHO, it is always a big risk, to whoever he is playing for. ie Levy would be taking a hell of a risk

For this not interested in reading more, the two main bullet points worth noting are:

The ACL graft at 6 months is 50% of normal breaking strength, at 8 months 80% of normal breaking strength.

Return to sport may be initiated at 4-6 months but full contact sport not until 9-12 months.

Have to bear in mind that a) he is physique and existing fitness levels should help to facilitate a speedier recovery than for most. b) he has world class support/advice that is not available for most people and very high motivation to get back.

I don't know an awful lot about it, but Id assume the above factors must have an, albiet minor, influence on his return to full fitness. He got the injury on April 5th, so hes currently been "out" for 4 and a half months - I personally think he'll be back around late December.

IMHO, I think MoPo will do well at the Spuds

I also think that any player coming back from an ACL injury, never comes back with the knee 100% back to what it was

Therefore, IMHO, it is always a big risk, to whoever he is playing for. ie Levy would be taking a hell of a risk

Problem is it has to be in Levy's opinion and we all know what Levy's expectation is a lot higher than most.

If Spuds are not in the top 4/5 by Christmas, there'll be a lot of pressure on MoPo, but when you consider the other teams - Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton will be there or there abouts, I think it could well be a tough season for them. (yes I've put Man Utd on that list. Regardless of the fact they are a shadow of their former selves, they'll still be up in the top 6).

Problem is it has to be in Levy's opinion and we all know what Levy's expectation is a lot higher than most. If Spuds are not in the top 4/5 by Christmas, there'll be a lot of pressure on MoPo.

I listened to Radio London commentary on the Spurs Euro League qualifier, it sounded dire. The opposition scored first and Spuds only survived with two goals late on against a team of tiring part-timers.

With a win coming from a 93rd minute goal last weekend, it may take a lot more agression to impress the White Hart Lane faithful ....and Daniel Levy...if Mo Po is to survive.

I listened to Radio London commentary on the Spurs Euro League qualifier, it sounded dire. The opposition scored first and Spuds only survived with two goals late on against a team of tiring part-timers.

With a win coming from a 93rd minute goal last weekend, it may take a lot more agression to impress the White Hart Lane faithful ....and Daniel Levy...if Mo Po is to survive.

How was Jesus Perez's post match interview? ;)

Good to see the video of him running in training a week or so back. Anyone have any idea as to when he will be back in contention for the first team? Can't be that long surely?

after his injury, and the projected return time for his return, I estimated that it would be around Prem. game 7. Which means away game at Tottenham (4th October).

However, I'd expect him to have a bit of game time with the Development Squad first to see how he performs.

Edited by david in sweden

• 3 weeks later...
hopefully, match fit by the time the African Nations Cup starts...jan?

With the FIFA release time for major tournaments factored in, Mane will probably be gone in the first week of January (assuming Senegal qualify, which they look like doing). Latest he can be back is second week of Feb.