Millwall 0 Saints 2

Batman

MotM vs Millwall (League Cup Rnd 2 Away 2014/15)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Millwall (League Cup Rnd 2 Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Clyne
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Isgrove
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Tadic
    • Cork
    • Ramirez

I missed the game due to work... what formation/s did we play and what positions did everyone play? Cheers!

Started 4-4-2 with no one really on the right (Davis was sort of out there) but that wasn't hugely effective, second half went to the 4-2-3-1 sort of thing with long our right and Tadić on the left, that worked a lot better with confidence and giving the 3 in behind Pellé a chance to roam about a bit more.

Agreed, thought he (Long) was good last night, got around, caused problems, some good passing and hassling attributes.

Just a couple of final ball issues and a couple of instances of needing to pass more quickly when a player was in space.

He will do well here, could see them all gelling in the second half!

Personally I thought Long looked good in both halves, first half his support for Pelle was exactly what was needed but our tempo was still pants, second half he did a good job out wide (though some of his crossing was dodgy).

Our personnel is screaming out for us to go back to 4-2-3-1 though, 4 midfielders plus Long with them breaking in support of Pelle like they did last season. And can we please start building from the back again too? I don't mind us going direct a bit more often, but based on a passing game so it's actually a surprise when we go direct instead of expected (as with Millwall's enormous hoof upfield which shockingly caught Yoshida misjudging the flight of the ball in the air and getting under it before turning and chasing a lost cause, again).

Personally I thought Long looked good in both halves, first half his support for Pelle was exactly what was needed but our tempo was still pants, second half he did a good job out wide (though some of his crossing was dodgy).

Our personnel is screaming out for us to go back to 4-2-3-1 though, 4 midfielders plus Long with them breaking in support of Pelle like they did last season. And can we please start building from the back again too? I don't mind us going direct a bit more often, but based on a passing game so it's actually a surprise when we go direct instead of expected (as with Millwall's enormous hoof upfield which shockingly caught Yoshida misjudging the flight of the ball in the air and getting under it before turning and chasing a lost cause, again).

I'm not a particular fan of Long but i agree completely with the rest about going back to 4-2-3-1 and building from the back.

Just got back. Good support from our fans. Proud of the way we sang for Pelle, you could tell he appreciated it.

Goes to show that the people who really care and make the effort to travel for an away game in the League Cup are the true supporters, not the reactionary idiots that start tutting and whining after 10 minutes at St Mary's.

Glad to see Cork notch a goal which means I was there when Franny, Morgan and Cork scored their first goals. Just gutted I missed Lundekvam's!

Fair to say that a big group of the travelling fans were critical of a lot of the first half performances from a lot of the players but when they could see Pelle's frustration at his missed opportunities it was time to offer encouragement and support not criticism. Good lesson learnt .

Predicted before the game that Pelle would score but would go on to disappoint (again) against superior defences.

Paul Jewell who was watching the game on SSN said that Pelle "must have had 12 attempts and this was his first on target".

Wasn't it his saved effort that was pushed behind for the corner we scored from... which was a very good save by all accounts?

The less you listen to people like Paul Jewell the more you will ultimately learn about the beautiful game.

Wasn't it his saved effort that was pushed behind for the corner we scored from... which was a very good save by all accounts?

The less you listen to people like Paul Jewell the more you will ultimately learn about the beautiful game.

Correct on both counts.

thanks for that. Is it just me or has Cork beefed up a bit? That might be what he needs to prove himself more physically in the PL

didn't think he needed to prove himself physically (whatever that means) in the prem myself. Yet to see anyone muscle him off the ball.

Jack Cork made a huge difference when he came on. No question. First half our performance was bordering on dire, the second was very good.

If the game proved anything it was that Pelle is much better with his feet than he is with his head, and it was good to see that the service to him was both different and an improvement on Saturday.

My memory of the game however will be the stupid old codger behind me that got on every single player's back, for some reason in particular Fonte, who was incredibly annoying. If you've nothing good to say, or can't bring yourself to provide support to the team, don't attend games.

My memory of the game however will be the stupid old codger behind me that got on every single player's back, for some reason in particular Fonte, who was incredibly annoying. If you've nothing good to say, or can't bring yourself to provide support to the team, don't attend games.

It was Alpine's dad.

Best moment of the game was hearing the Saints fans who were actually there singing Pelle's name BEFORE he scored. Supporting the team, unlike some of the kn0bjockeys on here. Good effort lads.

And how Pelle appreciated it. The highlight of the game for me was when he scored and the celebration he did - he just looked so so happy and relieved to get on the score sheet. He said in pre-season that he usually takes a few games after pre-season to get to the right standard and I think he's going to prove that very very soon.

Oh, and Long's dummy was class!

# "I was there, when Jack Cork scored, I was there, when Jack Cork scored" :)

Holloway STILL bitter about Saints by the look of it :lol:

Just a little bit.....He spouted some rubbish and then tried to correct himself with ....good luck to them.

Looks like they played their first team....I didn't so we will be fresh for Saturday so we can try and get somewhere close to the Premier league, which is light years away from where they are (Saints) when you look at all the players they've sold. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to break it to you Ian - But we are in the Premier League

Edited by Gemmel

Kind of funny coming from a **** who has failed twice at this level.

We're not a good team for him didn't he get sacked by Leicester after we stayed up and they got relegated on the final day in the championship? Left Palace after we beat them last season, got humiliated as a visiting PL manager in the FA cup. A few of his ****est moments in football all down to saints:)

Edited by doddisalegend

The appreciation for Pelle was as much for his all round play as it was for his attempts on goal. He control is excellent and he was always looking to bring someone else into the game. Even if he didn't score he had an excellent game.

It seems the morons only watch streams and go to home games.

Due to where I live and working Saturdays I get to very few games now. After the 1st 45 minutes I was starting to wonder if I was actually watching Saints, it was quite dreadful. Cork made a huge difference but the formation made us play properly. Long was far better and looked more comfortable. The midfield actually played in the middle of the field! 1st half Wanyama was guite often isolated with the ball at his feet, the only players near him were Fonte and Yoshida, he had no outlet forwards or sideways. Tadic is clearly a massive find and I believe will prove more effective than Lallana. Pelle worked so hard and fully deserved the goal and the fans deserve great credit as without the support he received he could quite easily have let his head drop. Home fans take a massive note, getting on at players doesn't make them achieve more, supporting them does! Thought Targett looked quite assured defensively. Clyne looked rather reluctant to push on down the wing which was a little disappointing.

Even with Gardos, we need another central defender desperately. As for another winger, I really wish we had a manager with belief in Gaston, he is a class player with some belief and playing time he is capable of being a star player in the team. Long looked far more comfortable in his role 2nd half and was far more effective, which makes me think we need another striker to offer competition to Pelle.

Finally, I somehow always manage to have 2 people around me who complain the whole game and whinge about almost every player, I have no idea why they go to games. The 2 on Tuesday had no idea about football or tactics and clearly only go to make themselves miserable. I wish people like them would go forth and multiply in Portsmouth!

The appreciation for Pelle was as much for his all round play as it was for his attempts on goal. He control is excellent and he was always looking to bring someone else into the game. Even if he didn't score he had an excellent game.

It seems the morons only watch streams and go to home games.

Curious, are you saying that only fans who make the effort to go to away games aren't morons and are allowed an opinion on football? Everyone else is a moron... Good job calling the majority of our fans morons, all in your humble opinion of course.

Funnily enough I went to the last home game, and was saying that Pelle needs to be more aggressive when challenging for the ball rather than waiting for it to come to him. Following the match Koeman says the same thing... Does that make me a moron (because I have only been to home games this season? And does it make Koeman a moron as he shares my oppinion, albeit he took slightly longer to realise it :lol:) I also think Pelle is rather good, based on his reports from Holland, all round control and finishing... whether he translates that to the prem will of course be the test and an interesting one.

Good job insulting the majority of the fanbase, good luck with that one :lol:

Curious, are you saying that only fans who make the effort to go to away games aren't morons and are allowed an opinion on football? Everyone else is a moron... Good job calling the majority of our fans morons, all in your humble opinion of course.

Funnily enough I went to the last home game, and was saying that Pelle needs to be more aggressive when challenging for the ball rather than waiting for it to come to him. Following the match Koeman says the same thing... Does that make me a moron (because I have only been to home games this season? And does it make Koeman a moron as he shares my oppinion, albeit he took slightly longer to realise it :lol:) I also think Pelle is rather good, based on his reports from Holland, all round control and finishing... whether he translates that to the prem will of course be the test and an interesting one.

Seemed pretty clear to me that he was saying whilst at St Mary's there were audible sarcastic cheers and groans from numerous morons scattered around various parts of the ground, a similar first half performance from Pelle at Millwall led to encouragement and support, and that none of the morons from Saturday were present.

Quite how you've flipped that to imply that all home supporters are morons I'd have to ask you.

All Away Fans Are Not Morons =/= All Home Fans Are Morons.

The first "moron" reveals himself. :rolleyes: