Advice Needed

Lorne Malvo

So my partner and I have decided we want a last decent performing car before we settle down into the world of SUV's, Estate cars etc.

We have come down to a shortlist of either an Audi S3 or a Golf R32, both 2008 models.

Anyone had experience of either and do they have any known problems I should keep a look out for other than the obvious 'thrashed' look.

Also any other similar car like these two we might have missed looking at?

Thanks

I've owned an R32 (Mk IV) and driven a fair bit in an (older) S3 - TBH, they are completely different animals.

The R32 is more of a GT cruiser than a hot hatch. It's not massively quick (although it's quick enough), it's thirsty (we were averaging low 20s), it's heavy (courtesy of the AWD), but it feels so very special - and the noise from that 6 pot lump and the twin pipes is simply fantastic.

The S3 is much more the stereotypical hot hatch - revvier, will feel more nimble through the twisties and is likely to offer more of out and out driving experience than the Golf.

If I had to choose between the two ? The Golf, all day long - loved my Mk IV and would have a Mk V in a heartbeat.

Whatever you decide on, I'd always recommend going for the lowest mileage and highest spec you can possibly afford. As a wiser person than me once said - you don't make or lose money when you sell a car; you make or lose it when you buy one.

Actually its mainly for city driving so thinking a bit the R32 seems to drink a bit more than the Audi.

But we are now starting to look at a 2010 Golf GTI. Can't seem to find a bad word about them and at the same price too.

Had a golf TDI a few years back, got it at 6 months old and had it for 18 months, was a great car, I recommend.

Subaru Impreza

I really hope you're being sarcastic? Horrendous 'chav cars', driven by utter morons who ARE obviously compensating for something.

Lorne Malvo - does it need to be a hatch? You'd have more fun in an SLK, 350/370z, RX-8 or even the BMW 1M - all of which should be comfortably in your budget now. Out of your choice though, Golf over Audi, although both fab to drive.

My "drive to the station car" has become a VW Up, now that is a cracking, fun little car - Absolutely bugger all power, but it just feels fun. If only they did a GTI version of that ...

I really hope you're being sarcastic? Horrendous 'chav cars', driven by utter morons who ARE obviously compensating for something.

Lorne Malvo - does it need to be a hatch? You'd have more fun in an SLK, 350/370z, RX-8 or even the BMW 1M - all of which should be comfortably in your budget now. Out of your choice though, Golf over Audi, although both fab to drive.

My "drive to the station car" has become a VW Up, now that is a cracking, fun little car - Absolutely bugger all power, but it just feels fun. If only they did a GTI version of that ...

BTF will have a friend who wasn't a chav and was a really nice person who had an impreza. They probably had a bit of a hard luck story too and were probably a teacher, has to drive 15 miles to work and hates the Tories.

BTF will have a friend who wasn't a chav and was a really nice person who had an impreza. They probably had a bit of a hard luck story too and were probably a teacher, has to drive 15 miles to work and hates the Tories.

They're really good cars. That around half of them are driven by utter bellends and 'lads' doesnt change that fact. Half the drivers are normal who appreciate they are excellent cars and drive them despite the image not because of it. I had a Subaru Outback estate (same basic shell and setup, just higher ride and less power) and it was great. Anyway image varies from country to country, Australia is probably different.

Edited by buctootim

Can thoroughly recommend RX8s - had three of them (different versions) and they were superb fun with top handling.

Can't stand Mazdas, had one years ago and was just a pain in the fact it kept breaking so vowed never to look at another one again!

I did look at the 350 & 370z but the missus said no. Not enough space inside although I did like them.

Still not decided what to get, did have a nosey around a Ford Focus RS, if only it wasn't in a horrible green colour I might have been interested, was a bit tacky inside too.

• 1 month later...

Best mate had an R32 as a company car so had it from new. Had massive problems with onboard computer which never worked properly, but the biggest issue was the tyres. They are very low profile and only used about 3 cars - the R32, one of the top of the range Mondeo's and something else which escapes me at the moment (might be an Aston). He really struggled to get them to hold the required pressure and consequently had a problem every time he hit a pothole, either needing a new tyre and/or alloy. He ended up paying to get out of it early.