Fishing, I don't get it!

Saint Billy

I have been fishing a handful of times and although I have hardly caught anything exciting I enjoyed the peace and tranquillity.

What I don't get is programs on TV like Robson Green etc, when they land a fish and its laying there gasping with a hook through its mouth they then suddenly turn it into a natural history lesson pointing out its beautiful markings and its huge dorsal fin and its ability in its own environment etc etc.

This is not a fish wealthfare thing, its just that if you hook a fish, either eat it or throw it back to live another day and enjoy your sport but dont make out your interested in its beauty and its markings around the eyes.

Don't ever go fishing with me. The fish know I'm there and all go home for the weekend. When I was a boy I lived 100 yds from the beach and used to go fishing off the promenade but all I ever caught was eels. I found out when I was older that once you've caught an eel on a hook it is 'tainted' and all you can catch after that is more eels. I've only been invited a couple of times since and each time nada, niente, nichts, nothing :( I think I'm still tainted.

Don't ever go fishing with me. The fish know I'm there and all go home for the weekend. When I was a boy I lived 100 yds from the beach and used to go fishing off the promenade but all I ever caught was eels. I found out when I was older that once you've caught an eel on a hook it is 'tainted' and all you can catch after that is more eels. I've only been invited a couple of times since and each time nada, niente, nichts, nothing :( I think I'm still tainted.

My first fish was an eel!!!

Whether or not you catch anything is inconsequential; it’s simply the presence of the rod that matters.

If someone sees you sat all day on a river bank or at the end of a pier staring into the water with a fishing rod they think you are someone enjoying your pastime, in tune with nature and with yourself. They nod and walk off envying you.

If someone sees you sat all day on a river bank or at the end of a pier staring into the water without a fishing rod they think you are someone with serious issues who is almost certainly contemplating suicide. They nod and walk off ringing the emergency services.

Whether or not you catch anything is inconsequential; it’s simply the presence of the rod that matters.

If someone sees you sat all day on a river bank or at the end of a pier staring into the water with a fishing rod they think you are someone enjoying your pastime, in tune with nature and with yourself. They nod and walk off envying you.

If someone sees you sat all day on a river bank or at the end of a pier staring into the water without a fishing rod they think you are someone with serious issues who is almost certainly contemplating suicide. They nod and walk off ringing the emergency services.

That's funny! The next logical step is to go to the riverside with a phone and a fishing app - maybe people actually do that!

You're not the only person I've heard said that but it's rubbish! Caught a Eel, put it back then I cast again, as I was tightening the line I felt a bite and shortly afterwards I reeled in a schoolie Bass.