Koeman's Three Year Plan.

cellone

Better that he has ambition to finish as high as possible rather than bemoan the difficulty of losing half the squad, trying to integrate many new players, and stave off relegation. At least he looks forward rather than backward.

I think when you look at Everton, they're the closest you can get to the top 4 without substantial backing.

Potentially they have the quality to finish in the top 4, if the league has a season like last year, where there's no real stand out team then it's possible if they have a good season.

They've not spent big money over the last 8-10 years, with the exception of Lukaku.

They've bought really well and had good management, they've also benefited from good youth players over the years. Rooney, Rodwell, Baines, Stones, Barkley etc.

They must be the closest thing to a blueprint we have.

Nothing in that article mentions Champions League, Koeman merely says finish "as high as possible". What he does do is target a cup win in the next three years which would be nice.

Apart from this bit.

Koeman has loftier ambitions. And while he does not have three months to bed in, he is already devising a remarkable three-year plan to bring Champions League football to the South Coast club.

Nothing in that article mentions Champions League, Koeman merely says finish "as high as possible". What he does do is target a cup win in the next three years which would be nice.

Page 65 of the Mail this morning:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2739213/Ronald-Koeman-targets-Champions-League-Southampton-three-years-West-Ham-win.html

No quote from Koeman mentioning champions league. Don't let that stop anyone from using it as a stick to ridicule him though.

I doubt anyone would do that.... Oh and doh! ↓ ↓

More champion league talk

Does that mean the players have signed under a false promise?

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?46066-Sort-this-site-out#.VAQyvWK9KSM

:lol:

No quote from Koeman mentioning champions league. Don't let that stop anyone from using it as a stick to ridicule him though.

‘I think after eighth last season we try to keep that and maybe in next three years to reach the Champions League, win a title. The League Cup is a target and the FA Cup, and to reach the highest position in the league as possible,’ ‘You have to dream.’
said Koeman.

This suggests otherwise...

Koeman has loftier ambitions. And while he does not have three months to bed in, he is already devising a remarkable three-year plan to bring Champions League football to the South Coast club.

"The target will be to reach that in three seasons," claimed Koeman.

"After eighth last year we try to keep that and in the next three years win a title.

"The League Cup, maybe a target. Maybe the FA Cup and reaching the highest position in league as possible. You have to dream."

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think the target is to 'achieve/win' something within 3 years. That may be finishing 4th (since when is that a title!), an FA Cup a League cup.....not entirely sure our out and out target is top 4, we just want to achieve a title within 3 seasons.

Pleasing for me that the 'plan' appears to be led by a manager who has personal ambition and seen potential in our foundations rather then the chairman. It makes us far more credible if a person with Koeman's profile and reputation says it rather then our ex-hockey coach chairman.

A subtle difference, but one that makes me hope that we will have returned stability and the possibility of punching above our weight.

I think the target is to 'achieve/win' something within 3 years. That may be finishing 4th (since when is that a title!), an FA Cup a League cup.....not entirely sure our out and out target is top 4, we just want to achieve a title within 3 seasons.

The way the Daily Star article is worded suggests otherwise. They introduce the Koeman quotes talking about a 3 year plan for the Champions League and then Koeman uses "that" to describe would would have been asked in the question that prompted his answer.

Edited by Matthew Le God

So you agree? No quotes from Koeman on the champions league?

When he says "that", given the opening from the journalist talking about the Champions League plan it suggests that Koeman is answering a question put to him about the Champions League.

The word "that" is Koeman quoted as talking about the Champions League, but it depends if you trust the integrity of the Daily Star and if they haven't taken him out of context.

Not keen to get wound up in the talk of Champions league football again, but I will say this. It stupidly raises expectations amongst the fan base, it's simply not an achievable target for us. I'm all for reach for the stars and all that, but this is Southampton we're talking about.

We're not big enough or financially strong enough to initially make the push for it, and to secondly sustain it.

Not keen to get wound up in the talk of Champions league football again, but I will say this. It stupidly raises expectations amongst the fan base, it's simply not an achievable target for us. I'm all for reach for the stars and all that, but this is Southampton we're talking about.

We're not big enough or financially strong enough to initially make the push for it, and to secondly sustain it.

Agreed.

Man united have RVP, Mata, Rooney and have spent 165m on Shaw, Di Maria, Herrera, Rojo and Blind and could be set to spend a further £65m on Falco

And they are still struggling to make the top 4.

We have signed Shane Long and Ryan Bertrand ffs

Id be happy with top 10 and a cup run

I agree with the logic of it, but if you do not aim high, why bother aiming at all? You will never attract good players if the club inherently lacks drive and vision.

Edited by Colinjb

What the guy is saying really is that he will be here for three years, after that everything depends upon "the ambition and philosophy of the club" as he loves to quote.

Morgan is at least saying the right things on the OS about getting ready for Pardews part-timers in two weeks suggesting that talk of his departure to Spuds is now dead in the water. My guess is Rono has said to him, "do right by me this year pal and I'll get you into Barcelona (networks etc)" - which most would accept as being a somewhat better option than playing for a washed-up Argentinian defender.

What would people rather hear......

"We aim to finish mid table and consolidate ourselves as a mid table club, as we are content to pick up a nice cheque from the TV companies"

or

"We aim for Champions League within 3 years"?

It may not be very realistic, but if you aim too low, then you probably should go and manage another team. RK obviously believes in his own abilities, and if he does pull it off, then....well the world will be his oyster.

Edited by angelman

said Koeman.

I can't seem to see that quote in the Daily Star article OP was talking about. People were quick off the mark in their scoffing...before the Mail article was posted.

This suggests otherwise...

'Suggests'...interesting word...and not actionable either which is useful for a paper open to litigation for printing falsehoods.

I agree that the Mail quote does state Champs league as a target (tbh, I'm not a fan of the competition). But why bother playing if you don't have ambition?

What the guy is saying really is that he will be here for three years, after that everything depends upon "the ambition and philosophy of the club" as he loves to quote.

Morgan is at least saying the right things on the OS about getting ready for Pardews part-timers in two weeks suggesting that talk of his departure to Spuds is now dead in the water. My guess is Rono has said to him, "do right by me this year pal and I'll get you into Barcelona (networks etc)" - which most would accept as being a somewhat better option than playing for a washed-up Argentinian defender.

I thought exactly the same!

My guess is Rono has said to him, "do right by me this year pal and I'll get you into Barcelona (networks etc)" - which most would accept as being a somewhat better option than playing for a washed-up Argentinian defender.

I thought exactly the same!

Me too - and promised to give him licence to get forward and add goals to his game - making him more attractive to top clubs.

Agreed.

Man united have RVP, Mata, Rooney and have spent 165m on Shaw, Di Maria, Herrera, Rojo and Blind and could be set to spend a further £65m on Falco

And they are still struggling to make the top 4.

We have signed Shane Long and Ryan Bertrand ffs

Id be happy with top 10 and a cup run

I preferred the old days, when it was a bit of a feather in your cap to beat Manure.

Don't see any Koeman bashing. Just posted it because I thought it was interesting, not to start another pathetic tiff between the ultra realists (facepalm) and soppy dreamers(facepalm).

I would want shot of any manager who said this club will never make the CL, it's too tiny and too poor.