September One - Judgement Day

Turkish

I have to say congratulations to the Chairman and Les Reed. We have a better manager and a better squad. I still think Chambers was a mistake but if the new signings hit their potential we are much stronger than last year. Please keep Morgan and give Jack Cork a new contract.

I couldnt make my mind up all summer whether the board had a plan, or were incompetent, or purely cashing in. At the end of the transfer window i reckon the boards have done a great job handling a very tricky situation. Happy with the squad, am am starting to hope that we can match or even improve on last year.

I still wonder if/when we will find out the full storey on why last seasons team fell apart. A lot of players were clearly unhappy with the board at the end of last season. Where the players just being selfish? Or was there serious problems with the management of the club?

Anyhow, here's hoping thats all behind us now.

GK	Forster		Boruc		Gazzaniga	Davis		Cropper
RB	Clyne								
LB	Bertrand	Targett						
RCB	Alderweireld	Fonte						
LCB	Gardoș	        Yoshida						
DCM	Wanyama		Cork						
CM	Schneiderlin	Reed						
CM	Davis		Ward-Prowse						
RW	Mané		Long		McQueen		Mayuka		
LW	Tadić		Rodriguez	Isgrove				
ST	Pellè		Gallagher						

Lots of inaccuracies there (especially with CBs), but at least all 27 are there!

Edited by Lazlo78

Why? We've agreed fees, they're ours unless we don't want them, which would only happen if they were cack, and in that case, we don't have to spend the money.

I never want to see another window like it, but I suspect they're all going to be a bit like that from now on.

But are they ours if we want them? Is it not a two-way-street? If they do exceptionally well, can they not say 'thanks, but no thanks' and cancel the further deal? Go back to their former club and seek a better/another deal? Not trying to be negative, but it is not a given, is it?

But are they ours if we want them? Is it not a two-way-street? If they do exceptionally well, can they not say 'thanks, but no thanks' and cancel the further deal? Go back to their former club and seek a better/another deal? Not trying to be negative, but it is not a given, is it?

It's as legal and binding as the contract they've got in the first place.

Cracking window.

Now bring on the naming, shaming and apologies for the pages of absolute miserable ****e I just had to read through on the deadline day thread. What a bunch of ****s you are.

Sorry, did you go to the Chimpstitute? :D

Still not entirely sure what went on at the start of the summer. In isolation I could pretty much understand the outgoings, granted I agree Chambers seemed a strange one. I am a bit disappointed the team fell apart, I do feel with a few additions that team could have done good things. If just Shaw, Osvaldo and Lambert (much as it hurt seeing a legend go like that, I find it hard to begrudge the bloke) had left and we added say Bertrand, Toby, Tadic, Forster & Pelle - that squad looks pretty darn strong. But anyway, we should move on.

Disappointed Poch left, don't get why he is suddenly not that good a manager, he did a very good job here. That said, I was very pleased with Koeman. Did help settle some nerves and was reassuring after starting to wonder what the point was, or if this was all we could hope for. He has impressed me all along so far.

I'm still not really sure what much more the board could have done. Yes, the departures were disappointing but I don't think it's quite as simple as just saying no to all of them as some suggest. There will be a lot of things none of us know about, as there always is in these situations, so it's probably hard to really judge. I really don't think you can have a squad with 5-6 players not wanting to be there.

Think Reed has done a good job getting the players in, took a lot of stick but the squad is looking decent now. Much better than I had thought at one point for sure. Sure, he may have had some input from Koeman in identifying targets - but I still imagine Reed will have been pretty instrumental in getting the deals done (I can't see Ralph being overly involved if I'm honest).

Don't really think we are far off in terms of individual quality, though will need to see some a bit more. Tadic looks useful hopefully he can improve once he gets into the groove of PL football. Toby A has a decent pedigree, and Forster looks a very solid keeper thus far. Excited to see how Mane performs, don't know a huge deal about him - but even in a poor league his stats are impressive. Think Pelle will be alright, if perhaps not spectacular. Still unsure on Long.

Bit disappointed with Gaston going today, but very pleased Morgan & Jrod are still in the building. Suspect it may well be the last season we see them here, which is a shame. I've long held the view that Morgan is our best player.

Things look good at the moment, pleased to hear Koeman saying cups are a target too. I predicted us to finish in the group of 15th-10th position, would probably say top end of that now.

Asset strip :lol:

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

The board have handled an extremely difficult situation professionally and calmly . When you look around at some of the owners and administrators in the game , I'm thankful we have KL and les . Of course mistakes get made , but they get made at every club . But overall they've made the best of the terrible hand they were dealt.

The board have handled an extremely difficult situation professionally and calmly . When you look around at some of the owners and administrators in the game , I'm thankful we have KL and les . Of course mistakes get made , but they get made at every club . But overall they've made the best of the terrible hand they were dealt.

Agree with this.

Given the way the window started, that's an excellent finish. Congratulations to everyone at the club.

Not only is there potential there but I'd say there is more cover and yet still room for the youngsters to come through - which is just as important as I feel we have to still be a club that brings on talent.

Looking forward to this season much more now. I'd say that when we look at the 4 candidates for CB (Fonte, Yoshi, Alderweireld and Gardos), we can see there is actually some depth at last. Well done.

Sheets bone dry :-)

Would be interested to hear from Crab Lungs Saints Richmond and Saint Fan Cam.... It seems they were either trolling or had been misinformed #itshappeningbutnotasyouexpected

Forgotten about the hashtag.

I guess now that it HAS happened, that lot can come back and tell us exactly how what transpired is different to what was expected. And why.

Bet they don't though.

After today, I'm delighted.

I think we've replaced players very very well and maybe vastly improved in some areas. And to still have Morgan and JRod here is fantastic.

I have a few concerns. Last year the team spirit was astronomically high. Will take a while for them all to become anywhere near as close.

A real shame Chambers went. Can only assume there was a clause.

I still miss Rickie but can't hold it against anyone for him leaving.

Finally, I think the start of this window has scarred me. I worry about being a victim of our own success again and losing a large chunk of players/manager all over again. Even with today's signings, there were parts of their interview where we just sounded like a stepping stone. Yes that's realistic, but I hate it.

You would have to be an absolute bona fide bell end of the highest order to think this was an asset strip or an untrustworthy or incompetent board, I know that much.

Yes, possibly. Or just reacting badly to news. I have certainly been called a bell end on many occasions before so perhaps you were right the first time.

The board have played a blinder it seems, and I didn't see it coming, often giving them stick, so I hold my hands up for that. I'm often guilty of posting knee jerk reactions on Saints subjects, I can't help it I care too much!

Not a bad window by all accounts on the whole.

Given we lost Lambert, Lallana, Lovren, Shaw and Chambers (and Gaston for a year) I think we have replaced well and after the latest two, probably creating a stronger squad overall.

What could have been a disaster has turned out well and I think a lot of credit needs to go to the management (Les, Ralph, Kat & RK) who were left a c*** hand to play with after MoPo went and the others being tapped up.

+

Squad is stronger

Squad is deeper

Manager has more tactical nous and may be a better motivator

Most egotistical troublemakers gone

Finances better shape

Expensive passengers offloaded

-

Still a few bellyaching players around, but time has been bought to sell the new vision or plan their replacements

How will we stop the same feeding frenzy next summer if we do well ?

Overall happy and relieved. Well done Board

+

Squad is stronger

Squad is deeper

Finances better shape

-

Still a few bellyaching players around, but time has been bought to sell the new vision or plan their replacements

Hacked!

+

Squad is stronger

Squad is deeper

Finances better shape

-

Well done board and well done you.

Now what did we learn about jumping the gun...? And being generally unpleasant all summer whilst doing it?

Defensively we're stronger IMO, although Gardos could either be a hit like, say, Mike Svensson, or a miss like Forren. But on the face of it Alderweireld is an upgrade on Chambers (right now), Gardos should be an upgrade on Jos, and Bertrand seems to have filled the Luke Shaw hole nicely. (With a more experienced Targett behind him.)

Central midfield is still strong too, keeping Morgan kept some doing. Add Cork and Wanyama to that, and JWP, Davis and Reed, and we're strong there too. It's in attack that I worry. I think we lack creativity, which is why I'm puzzled that we let Ramirez go. Yes he didn't play much last season but I thought under Koeman he'd have a chance to prove himself. Oh well. I think we'll be relying on Tadic a lot for creativity, and need to make sure he doesn't get injured.

Still the window is shut and we have what we have. Now Koeman needs to make them gel and get the best out of them. I think we have enough to have an ok season, with the chance to strengthen in January of course, but I can't see us hitting the heights of last season.

As for Mane, as an unknown signing, I hope he's more of a Pahars than a Mayuka.

Well done Saints. Particularly pleased with CB strength in depth, pacey threats, creativity, and hope that Pelle can bang them in. Also, that Pochettino has his annoying nose out of joint. We won't be pushed around by the North london Yobbos. Good work from a perilous start.

So here we are with it upon us and in cringeworthy sky speak the transfer window slammed shut. what are people's thoughts?

Meltdown? Asset strip? Board that are tossers who do things that'll make your eyes water? Les Reed useless and can't sell the club to anyone?

Or

Do we have the strong squad and good team we were promised?

Off you go.......

All I can see is a load of asset stripping, with Katharina taking all the money and keeping it in a Swiss bank account.

Morgan definitely is going because Krueger is a lying liar and he said something like Morgan will still be here on Sept 1st but that really meant he won't be here on Sept 2nd because we can still sell him or something. All a technicality which is a lie and he will be sold definitely.

Les Reed is incapable of signing any players and we have no vision and the days of us signing £10m plus players from Celtic and £8m plus defenders from second tier European clubs will clearly never happen again.

We have no vision anymore because it's not like Reed, Krueger and Koeman have talked about aiming to qualify for Europe. No-one at the club has said it or if they have its a lie and laughable.

Koeman said we were going to sign a winger and a defender before the window shut but he's just placating the fans, it won't happen because Les Reed is useless. And anyway, we should be doing all our transfer business early like all the big clubs do.

Basically we're a laughing stock and I feel abused. Abused I tell you. Oh, and conned. Conned and Abused.

+

Squad is stronger

Squad is deeper

Finances better shape

-

Easy in hindsight.

Considering the meltdown that we found ourselves in in May I think Koeman and Reed have picked up the pieces well. Chambers fee was way too low but all things considering I think we can be confident we are in good hands.

I am intrigued how these options to buy work though, does the player have a say in it? I only ask because if for instance Bertrand has a cracking season and Liverpool come in for him, do we exercise our option to buy and then negotiate with Liverpool or do Chelsea?

a victory for patience.....from those fans who have it, and for the Board who showed it, (despite the biting criticism from some quarters), the squad looks very good on paper.

As soon as they get to know each other ......we will see it on the pitch.

Perhaps the best signing of all .....may turn out to be Ronald Koeman, who had the chance to " buy his own team " (more or less)......and also seems to have a Plan B.

It's difficult to judge just yet, but we certainly have good squad depth and plenty of options now. I was worried during the player exodus earlier in the summer. However I also said it was exciting as Koeman might be able to come in and build his own team, which to an extent has happened. Les Reed must take a lot of credit for turning things around. The sale of Chambers seemed to be the final straw for many, but the club looks healthy now both on and off the pitch, and there's no reason we can't have another decent campaign. #Wemarchon

Considering the meltdown that we found ourselves in in May I think Koeman and Reed have picked up the pieces well. Chambers fee was way too low but all things considering I think we can be confident we are in good hands.

I am intrigued how these options to buy work though, does the player have a say in it? I only ask because if for instance Bertrand has a cracking season and Liverpool come in for him, do we exercise our option to buy and then negotiate with Liverpool or do Chelsea?

Agree with most of that Duncan, I think Chambers was " a bit of a steal " for Wenger, but if CC had stayed, I wonder if MP ....(if he had stayed) ....would have had the courage to play him?

After the May meltdown this is a very credible comeback. Some decent talent on there and conversion of the two loans would make it very impressive.

My only concern would be team spirit needs to be built again as a lot of characters and stalwarts have gone (Lambert, Jos, Lallana). And Being honest, still haven't come to terms with Long for £12m and have nagging doubts over Schneiderlin & Rodrigues lasting the season (plus is Big Vic being tapped up).

but this is where a decent manager earns his wages, so more than happy to sit back and watch Koeman work his stuf to mould this team together.

Mid table finish this reason, then ...................

83c75dcf743c125a843bb5b3322833a5.jpg

Self-dug hole successfully climbed out of. 7 of last season's outfield players now replaced by 7 others and a profit of over £20m. Impossible to make an assessment of performance until we see the new players performing but there is still enough of last year's squad in place to be optimistic. A few things that made some people proud to support Southampton have gone - the number of young academy players in the side and that players who played in L1 and the Champ were still in the team. The greatest success of the window may prove to be the retaining of Schneiderlin and the greatest success of the summer, the replacement of Pochettino with Koeman.

Some very exciting additions and I hope they bond into a good team. Now we have competition for most places and will have a bench capable of implementing plan B when plan A isn't working.

Quite.

I love the fact now seem to have genuine options and insured against some of our new signing flop (one or two may well do, it just happens).

If Gardos doesn't settle, we have Toby (vice versa) and if Mane doesn't work we have other attacking options. For a club not in Europe, on paper, we have a very solid squad.

Credit where credit is due. The 'incompetent' Board is now the 'Bees Knees'. Many of you now have to eat your words and accept that you know absolutely eff all about nothing.Lets have a full house against Newcastle and a good win to instil confidence in our new squad and in some fickle fans. Billy ****e for President.

COYSAINTS.

The only disappointment for me is signing Long for £12m. However you try and dress it up with regards to Gaston's loan fee, £12m is double what he is worth and it stinks of a panic buy a bit to me.

Overall though, very positive. I think overall our squad is stronger and we've made a profit of about £30m to balance the books and pay for the developments at Staplewood. I posted this in the locked thread, so I'll share it here again.

Tadic replaces Lallana

Pelle replaces Lambert

Mane replaces Gaston

Alderweirald replaces Jos

Gardos replaces Lovren

Bertrand replaces Shaw

Long replaces Osvaldo

Forster in

Chambers out

That's a pretty decent window IMO.

Alderweirald replaces Chambers surely? They can play the same exact positions. Jos was just a squad player. I was excited by the prospect of Toby, but now I hear he covers right back too, hell of a coup to get him in!

I think we've done exceptionally well considering the circumstances. 10/10, if you look at the judas's leaving as out of our control as being a situation we had to deal with. Even if we did choose for them to leave I think we're looking at at least a 7 or 8.

Key improvements from last season that get me very excited:

We have Boruc AND Forster. That's one of the biggest successes of the window for us, that we have massively improved keeper competition. So Keeper = strengthened.

I would strongly argue defense is stronger. Lovren and Chambers out, Alderweirald and Gardos in. Shaw replaced with Bertrand also looks good, with a bit more prem experience, something we'll need. The fact we're keeping clyne anyway and injuries notwithstanding, we basically have massive competition all along the back four now, more than last season in terms of quality, plus we have Targett and we have a much improved Yoshi.

Defense = strengthened.

We have kept Spider, Cork, Wanyama and offloaded Gaston (who is basically like a Torres to us) and replaced him with this Mane fella. We have replaced lallana with Tadic which looks very very astute.

Midfield = strengthened (as we have basically replaced Gaston for Mane).

We have replaced Osvaldo with Shane and Lambert with Pelle. Plus we still have Rodriguez, Gallagher and er Mayuka? But since we now have a third forward in the shape of Long instead of none in the shape of Osvaldo.

Forwards = Strengthened.

I really think we've done exceptionally. Considering we lost the players we did, which I don't think wee could have stopped in most cases (Chambers is a funny one), plus we've kept onto Boruc and Spider and JRod. I really think we're in better positions in every part of the pitch, at a slight profit! I think we should be looking top 10 hopefully. Ideally 9th or 8th (depending on Swansea maybe) but possibly even 7th, you never know :p

Also LOL at Man Utd. Yeah, you really needed another forward, that was the part of the field you needed strengthening. Maybe they're hoping to do a Liverpool and just out score everyone?? Except Man Utds defense is a few orders of magnitude weaker than Liverpool's was last season... hope we actually manage to finish above them this season! ;) :p

And finally, never thought I'd see the day little ol Southampton spend £60mill in a transfer window :lol: and come out 5th highest spender in the league :scared: