September One - Judgement Day

Turkish

Peeps can re write history all they want. But however way you look at it, January - July was a total **** fest from a leaderless Southampton Board.....They got 'one' decision right and that was to appoint the best managerial candidate. The one that stood out so far above the others that only a group clueless chimps could have got it wrong.

Personally I'm proud i played my part in forcing the Board of fools to put the brakes on player sales.....If it were left to some of blind faith apologists on here, Morgan and JRod would have been at Spurs a month ago.

Make no mistake, 4 of our new signings are 100% down to Koeman, they wouldn't be here otherwise. **** knows where we'd be right now if he hadn't filled the leadership vacuum and dragged the Board of fools kicking and screaming into this season.

We had a solid proven top half team that needed 2-3 additions to push on this year but now we have a untested team with 'potential'...I know what i would prefer.

What's done is done though and we all need to move on. Kat's got her 30m back and the Club now have a leader in it's ranks that's been so desperately missing. So here's hoping we can at least fulfill that potential......Onwards and upwards.

I can't put into words just how grateful I am. If there is anything I can do to say thank you, don't hesitate to ask.

Peeps can re write history all they want. But however way you look at it, January - July was a total **** fest from a leaderless Southampton Board.....They got 'one' decision right and that was to appoint the best managerial candidate. The one that stood out so far above the others that only a group clueless chimps could have got it wrong.

Personally I'm proud i played my part in forcing the Board of fools to put the brakes on player sales.....If it were left to some of blind faith apologists on here, Morgan and JRod would have been at Spurs a month ago.

Make no mistake, 4 of our new signings are 100% down to Koeman, they wouldn't be here otherwise. **** knows where we'd be right now if he hadn't filled the leadership vacuum and dragged the Board of fools kicking and screaming into this season.

We had a solid proven top half team that needed 2-3 additions to push on this year but now we have a untested team with 'potential'...I know what i would prefer.

What's done is done though and we all need to move on. Kat's got her 30m back and the Club now have a leader in it's ranks that's been so desperately missing. So here's hoping we can at least fulfill that potential......Onwards and upwards.

I'm sure you must be. Remind me, what part exactly was it that you played?

WTF??? Of course this would have nothing to do with RK deciding who he wanted to keep and who he was happy to let go and that he said he wanted to build a squad around JRod and Scheiderlin? Well done you. I think they should make you an honorary Board member.

I'm sure you must be. Remind me, what part exactly was it that you played?

In case you missed it, there was a mass protest by Southampton fans over the dismantling of the squad. The protest took the form of phone calls to St Mary's by people asking for their ST money back, postings on social media and articles in the media and the press, many of them by journalists who happened to be Saints' fans. Every mass protest is made up of individuals and if St George was one of those individuals, he played his part because the outcome was certainly a change of policy by the Chairman and the Board with the Schneiderlin decision the most public face of that change. Even so, St George and his companions was just a small factor, the biggest being the appointment of Koeman for which the Board can rightly take the credit.

In case you missed it, there was a mass protest by Southampton fans over the dismantling of the squad. The protest took the form of phone calls to St Mary's by people asking for their ST money back, postings on social media and articles in the media and the press, many of them by journalists who happened to be Saints' fans. Every mass protest is made up of individuals and if St George was one of those individuals, he played his part because the outcome was certainly a change of policy by the Chairman and the Board with the Schneiderlin decision the most public face of that change. Even so, St George and his companions was just a small factor, the biggest being the appointment of Koeman for which the Board can rightly take the credit.

Hmm, I absolutely did miss that. And any and all reporting of it. There was a lot of easily-ignored nonsense on social media though, of pretty much the same ilk as the previous few weeks' rantings.

And the good thing is we have best part of two weeks before the next game for the players to get to know each other, not sure who is away on international duty apart from FF.

That was my initial reaction too, but then I realised that in fact many of the players are away,and for example I think Koeman said that Mane wouldn't even come to the club (for the first time ever!) until early next week, so only 4 days or so before the next game.

Still, that's the price we pay for signing internationals .

I certainly missed this Proff. I know a few people on here kicked off but how many phoned demanding their season ticket money back? Any idea?

Silly question and if anyone really wanted to know they'd have to ask the club but I can offer some anecdotal evidence. A colleague of mine phoned to ask for his money back and found he had to ring several times before getting through. When he did get through he received an apology from someone who told him the phone lines had been jammed with callers. Anyone who thinks this forum was the only place where fans were expressing their concerns should get out more. We should be pleased that things have changed but there's no denying that we went through a very sticky patch.

For me, I had two chief concerns during the turmoil. The first was the poor communications from the club, which was a circus at times. The second was simply the number of new variables that were being introduced to the mix. Staff changes at almost every level of the club, including new directors, a new manager and several new players. My natural (and professional) inclination is to change one thing at a time and observe the results. The club never really had that option.

The big fear was that Koeman had only ever done it in the Eredivisie, the new signings had never done it in big leagues and that we'd be whipping boy shíte.

Still early days, but we have the appearance of a club heading in the right direction. Koeman looks to be a great appointment; better than Poch in terms of traction with potential signings, his media briefings are better than won't-speak-English Poch or Nigel Adkins and his group of hardworking professional clichés. The football is encouraging too.

One of the best things about being a Saints fan is triumph in adversity, whether it's smashing up a glory hunter's favourite personality substitute, chasing Liverpool for the league in 84/85, winning the FA Cup, surviving relegation year after year in the Premier League era on a 15K stadium, or getting bought out by a Swiss businessman with big pockets when it looked like we'd been doomed by a chancer living in his old dear's gaff.

Different problems this year. Executive power struggles, players wanting away, parts of the media gleefully sharpening the knives, ready to eviscerate us as we made our inevitable fall throughout the divisions. We were made to look like a basket-case club full of agendas, ready to sell to the first person to roll up with the readies.

I've already heard many pundits express surprise at how quickly we're finding our feet. My September 2nd judgement is that the board have done a fine job of continuing that triumph in adversity tradition.

Edited by pap

Yep, were certainly went through a sticky patch but the Bard said they would reinvest in the team and that we would be competitive and that looks to have happened.

Were the phone lines jammed with callers wanting their money back? Just because your mate did doesnt mean to say all callers were. They were probably the players that Les talked about who were gagging to play for us! ;)

Seriously, when you look at the % on here who wanted (or said they wanted) their money back it was small beer.

I am more inclined to believe it was down to Ronald that we didnt seel JRod and Morgan. He clearly stated that he wanted to build the team around them. After all the players that left would it really had made that much difference if two more had left? Like many, I was stunned when Chambers left but it didnt stop being SFC and there was always going to be a team to support. I seem to remember much more anger at the club when things were going pear shaped under Lowe's second coming than the bed wetting this summer.

Yep, were certainly went through a sticky patch but the Bard said they would reinvest in the team and that we would be competitive and that looks to have happened.

Were the phone lines jammed with callers wanting their money back? Just because your mate did doesnt mean to say all callers were. They were probably the players that Les talked about who were gagging to play for us! ;)

Seriously, when you look at the % on here who wanted (or said they wanted) their money back it was small beer.

I am more inclined to believe it was down to Ronald that we didnt seel JRod and Morgan. He clearly stated that he wanted to build the team around them. After all the players that left would it really had made that much difference if two more had left? Like many, I was stunned when Chambers left but it didnt stop being SFC and there was always going to be a team to support. I seem to remember much more anger at the club when things were going pear shaped under Lowe's second coming than the bed wetting this summer.

I must have missed that particular play or sonnet during O-Level English Lit....

Well, the protests certainly passed me by - but judging by posts above I'm in good company there! Even if they had the slightest effect (which I seriously doubt) it's hard to imagine that St George made any contribution beyond his usual three posts a day on here.

For me, I had two chief concerns during the turmoil. The first was the poor communications from the club, which was a circus at times.

I have no idea if this is true or not but I really think that the club found themselves hit by a tidal wave of media guff that it took them a while to regroup and stabilise. It looks like they thought that Pochettino would stay and before long it looked as though people were leaving at whim. I am sure that wasnt the case and that once Koeman was lined up they had all talked and had a plan, but by that time the feeding fenzy was well under way and everybody wanted to believe that the club was being sold and that asset stripping/fire sale was the order of the day. Building a repution takes ages, destroying one takes seconds. I am sure tht tye woulddo things differently if they had the chance but an awful lot of what went on was out of ther control. Throughout however they negotiated well and got an amazing amount of money in (which looks to have been spent well).

Will we see the Mail suddenly publich articles about how well the club has bounced back? Unlikely but who cares. There have been issues at Manchester United, Leeds, Palace to name but a few. Todays papers are tomorrows fish and chips wrappings and eventually the media will find another club to ridicule.

The Board have kept their heads and have delivered. It is now down to RK to get the team firing.

I must have missed that particular play or sonnet during O-Level English Lit....

I can't remember the whole thing, but I think the first few lines went:

Shall I compare thee to a football team?

The midfield, the defence and the attack.

Signings the like of which you can but dream,

They will be made as Les shuffles the pack.

Absolutely right about the Mail, and equally true of the other media who now have us down as a club that dissolved it's team and anything to the contrary is of no interest to them. The so-called BBC Transfer Deadline show was simply a programme about Man Utd. They don't seem to understand that football fans who follow Man U are far outnumbered by those who dislike the club, and as for Saints, we didn't feature unless it was to say that another player had left. Whether panic by the Board can be described as keeping their heads, I'm not so sure but I have every confidence that in Koeman we have a manager who is head and shoulders above any we've seen here for a long time, including the Argie.

Absolutely right about the Mail, and equally true of the other media who now have us down as a club that dissolved it's team and anything to the contrary is of no interest to them. The so-called BBC Transfer Deadline show was simply a programme about Man Utd. They don't seem to understand that football fans who follow Man U are far outnumbered by those who dislike the club, and as for Saints, we didn't feature unless it was to say that another player had left. Whether panic by the Board can be described as keeping their heads, I'm not so sure but I have every confidence that in Koeman we have a manager who is head and shoulders above any we've seen here for a long time, including the Argie.

The reason I think that they kept their heads is because they have had a difficult time in getting their targets in but seem to have moved methodically down the list and brought in the players that RK wants/needs. With the exception of perhaps Long, I dont think we have paid silly money for anyone and when thinks have looked dodgy (Rojo etc) we have moved on. I think they have delivered what they said they would and you cant ask for more than that. As for the manager - an inspired hiring I agree.

By this evidence, we are by far the most educated supporters in the Premier League.

Indeed, like any class of achievers, there are always a few disruptive individuals who think it's funny to sit at the back of the class making the same noise over and over again (think, Saint Charlie, Alpine and Glasgow). Eventually, they either either buck up their ideas or end up like Pastor Patron and Sidney Fudpucker in the Special Educational Needs class.

Anyway, back to the Bard....

Like everyone else I was not happy seeing one player after another leave. Not sure how the new squad will shape up but things look promising.

What I can say is that I am no longer unhappy that they have left. Lallana and Lovren showed how shallow they both are. I certainly dont begrudge Rickie his dream move after all he did for us. Shaw and Chambers see to have their heads elsewhere whilst still in nappies. At some point I am sure that both Schneiderlin and JRod will move on but at least they will be here to help RK bed in the new players. Lots to look forward to (especially the decline of Manchester United).

St George

Please enlighten me exaclty what you did "Personally I'm proud i played my part in forcing the Board of fools to put the brakes on player sales....."

I might recomend you for the DSO medal . The disinfranchised saints outcast medal

Your my hero St George, so brave , standing stong against the Board ,

:adore:

:mcinnes:

VFTT - say what you really think, don't sugar coat it!

There are 3 or so posters who seem to think they played a part in "forcing" the Board to do various things. reminds me of Spike Milligan's "Adolf Hitler: my part in his downfall"

Yeah, but at least Spike was joking...

Mass hysteria in the media and on here earlier in the summer just went to show what a reactionary, short term, judgemental society we live in now. Fortunately there are still some sensible people who saw through all the hype and took a more pragmatic view of the situation. Luckily for us the members of our board can be put firmly in the second camp.

I wonder if people would like to apologise for some of the crass, highly personal and insulting posts on here towards the people that run our club that were flying around this summer? Many of these were pathetic, unnecessary and downright childish.

Well done to everyone at the club for sorting out the carnage instigated by people that left. I firmly believe we are in a good place with solid foundations which will see the club run in a sustainable and prosperous way for years to come.

Like!

I'm thinking (or should that be praying) that most of the hysterical stuff came from our "younger" fans who have not had the roller coaster ride that is SFC over a matter of say 20 years plus (btw that doesn't mean they should keep quiet if things at SFC cause them concern).

No matter what, players leaving, new board etc etc there will always be a SFC and no individual is bigger than SFC no matter who they are or how much dosh they have or are worth.

Like!

I'm thinking (or should that be praying) that most of the hysterical stuff came from our "younger" fans who have not had the roller coaster ride that is SFC over a matter of say 20 years plus (btw that doesn't mean they should keep quiet if things at SFC cause them concern).

No matter what, players leaving, new board etc etc there will always be a SFC and no individual is bigger than SFC no matter who they are or how much dosh they have or are worth.

I am consistently dour in my outlook.

I would be happy with us staying up...end of.

One day, you might be right!

If you around, or this forum was around should I say, in the late 80's and 90's you would have been right a few times ;)

Edited by Dr Who?

Hands up , I wet my bed and spat my dummy! But I also feel if it wasn't for the fans venting their fury after Chambers was sold Morgan and possibly Jay would of been sold too , So I feel slightly vindicated ! Roll on the next game my mood has swung from depressed to very optimistic

Edited by simo
pressed send early

There's a lot of optimism on here which is nice to see but I have two concerns:

1) this is more of an observation really which is that many on here are saying we now have a deeper squad than last year. What I see is that we have replaced most of the the players we have sold or loaned (7 in, 9 out), and not replaced the players we let go at the end of their contracts. I don't see how that has given us a deeper squad? Can someone who thinks we have a deeper squad please explain that to me?

2) I still have reservations about the ability to blend a number of new players together. The win at a West Ham was a positive sign but just a week earlier we looked like a group of individuals. It won't be like West Ham each week, certainly not for a while at least. History shows that very few clubs that have made a large number of additions in the summer have been successful in the short term so I do think the early part of this season, and perhaps the season on the whole, might be a struggle. I hope not, but I'm expecting/preparing for that and anything else is a bonus. I think it's too much to expect a top 10 finish again despite the quality of the new signings.

There's a lot of optimism on here which is nice to see but I have two concerns:

1) this is more of an observation really which is that many on here are saying we now have a deeper squad than last year. What I see is that we have replaced most of the the players we have sold or loaned (7 in, 9 out), and not replaced the players we let go at the end of their contracts. I don't see how that has given us a deeper squad? Can someone who thinks we have a deeper squad please explain that to me?

2) I still have reservations about the ability to blend a number of new players together. The win at a West Ham was a positive sign but just a week earlier we looked like a group of individuals. It won't be like West Ham each week, certainly not for a while at least. History shows that very few clubs that have made a large number of additions in the summer have been successful in the short term so I do think the early part of this season, and perhaps the season on the whole, might be a struggle. I hope not, but I'm expecting/preparing for that and anything else is a bonus. I think it's too much to expect a top 10 finish again despite the quality of the new signings.

I'm not concerned about number 1), as the youngsters from the academy are a year older and wiser as back up players, and I must admit we have a very versatile squad, where seemingly each position has (at least) two senior players that can play in it.

I'm with your concern on number 2) about the gelling. We possibly don't have the same team spirit as last year, and we still have on board JRod, Morgan and Boruc who openly wanted out in the summer. Add to that a lot of new signings and there's a lot of unfamiliarity within the squad. In Koeman we trust though, I think it will be easier to bond them than I initially thought.

But soft! what transfer news through yonder internet forum breaks?

It is the east and Ronald is the sun

Arise fair sun and kill the envious moon

Who is already sick and pale with grief at the quality of our new squad

Wasted on here! Insufficient mention of bed wetting