September One - Judgement Day

Turkish

So here we are with it upon us and in cringeworthy sky speak the transfer window slammed shut. what are people's thoughts?

Meltdown? Asset strip? Board that are tossers who do things that'll make your eyes water? Les Reed useless and can't sell the club to anyone?

Or

Do we have the strong squad and good team we were promised?

Off you go.......

Krueger wanted to be judged on Sept 1st and I for one am more than happy with how we have done.

We have lost players that the fans held in high regard but Koeman has bought in some quality players that I don't think MP would be able to draw,another positive is depth on the bench,we have gamechangers and match winners to come on

Overall I go to bed happy and excited for the future with RK at the helm

Good effort by the club. Seems like a strong squad. More so when Rodriguez Coles back. Morgan and him still here till January at least)

£60m spent too. Obviously used money to balance books

Shame about gaston and would just love it if cork signed a new deal

Well, after an awful May/June. Ralph said judge the club today. Fair play I say

sits back and waits for the bites.....very good Turkish

All in all a good window for us and we are now stronger in depth than last season. Kruger and the Board have delivered: excellent manager (likely to be an upgrade on old one), strengthened considerably and kept MS and JR too

Too soon to tell. We've chucked in our stack of cards and had a re-deal. Let's see if this lot turns out better. I have a sneaky feeling that the shake up is what the club needed but I expect a few more ups and downs before we get a settled team. Please to see that we haven't lost any more regulars (apparently) but a little disappointed with the loss of Gastón. It'll be interesting to see how he does for Hull.

Ralph said judge us after the window has closed. Well now it has closed, so let's judge them.

As far as I am concerned, from a very bad start, we have ended up in a very good position.

I'm looking forward to a very good season

Credit to the club. In July it all looked a bit WTF, but it's clear to see now that we had a hell of a lot of precious individuals making it impossible for the club to retain them.

Their first job was to bring in a manager who can settle things down and put his opinions across. We get an absolute legend of a former player in Koeman, and not a bad manager either. That was a great initial move, which calmed my fears and kind of suggested that they did have an idea - and it wasn't a case of shutting up shop, ambition to a degree remained with that signing.

Then came the need to reinvest. We've done it, we've spent £60 million quid in a single window. We've brought in some very good players, in particular Tadic, Forster and Toby are high level additions which retain our ambition.

I think the club was in an awful position in July, Cortese made a set-up out of paper cups and he was the one at the bottom.

They've stuck to their guns and have done things on their terms and on their time. We've assembled ourselves a competitive squad, probably down a notch in quality in some area's, but deeper and more options.

So, well done to the club. Deserve credit for how they've handled this awful summer.

Credit to the club. In July it all looked a bit WTF, but it's clear to see now that we had a hell of a lot of precious individuals making it impossible for the club to retain them.

Their first job was to bring in a manager who can settle things down and put his opinions across. We get an absolute legend of a former player in Koeman, and not a bad manager either. That was a great initial move, which calmed my fears and kind of suggested that they did have an idea - and it wasn't a case of shutting up shop, ambition to a degree remained with that signing.

Then came the need to reinvest. We've done it, we've spent £60 million quid in a single window. We've brought in some very good players, in particular Tadic, Forster and Toby are high level additions which retain our ambition.

I think the club was in an awful position in July, Cortese made a set-up out of paper cups and he was the one at the bottom.

They've stuck to their guns and have done things on their terms and on their time. We've assembled ourselves a competitive squad, probably down a notch in quality in some area's, but deeper and more options.

So, well done to the club. Deserve credit for how they've handled this awful summer.

Bang on.

Judgement Day, on the whole very pleased with how it panned out.

Got good prices for Shaw, Lallana, Lovren and shot of Osvaldo. Lambert fair value and Chambers I believe had a clause allowing his move.

Trimmed a fair few of old guard off the wage bill in Guly, Sharp, Barnard, Hoiveld and Johno Quick.

Pelle, Bertrand, Forster and Tadic have looked useful. Long jury is out but should improve. Excited about Altoweld (can't be arsed to spell it), Gardos and Mane.

Disappointed by letting Gaston go, but can understand the logic once I have taken the emotion out of it.

Keeping Schneiderlin, JRod, Boruc and Cork big pluses.

I'd expect to see a few fringe players such as Gazzaniga and Mayuka go on FL loan.

You would have to be an absolute bona fide bell end of the highest order to think this was an asset strip or an untrustworthy or incompetent board, I know that much.

Yes but there are a few of those types about the place aren't there?

No doubt they'll continue to defend their position in hindsight, because they were only going on the information they had at the time. Of course it's so easy to judge now they'll say.

Sky were reporting that we were 6th highest spenders in this window... Before the signing of Mane which I think put us into 5th above Man City?!

Of course we got a lot in from Shaw, Lallana and Lovren, but now it seems we might actually have a stronger squad.

I can't pretend to know how good some of these guys are so I'll caveat the above with that.

All in all I'm pleased, especially because we haven't (yet) got rid of any other key players... Fingers crossed no-one leaves at the last second.

Despite that, I'm sad to see Jos and Ramirez leave. Jos because he was a bit of a square head legend, and Ramirez because I got so worked up when we broke records to sign the guy. I still have hope that he will come good.

Fair play. Looks a hell of a lot better than a month or two ago and squad looks decent.

A few inexcusable PR gaffes in late May and June which set the tone for the media frenzy but since then they have done an admirable job.

Turning point probably the furore after the Chambers sale and the uncharacteristically strong Krueger interviews following it.

Massively right call in the managerial appointment.

Looking forward to a good season. New contracts for Cork and Clyne would be great.

Interested to see how Boruc conducts himself.

Overall window: 7/10. Was 1/10 end of June.

Well I might have had the odd wobble, it was pretty gutting to watch so many players heading out the door, but in general I backed the board throughout this summer and feel pretty vindicated. The whole fire sale, asset stripping, new shoes for KL stuff was ****ing embarrassing for those involved. Just happy the window is now shut hopefully Saint Charlie will give it a rest now.

The only disappointment for me is signing Long for £12m. However you try and dress it up with regards to Gaston's loan fee, £12m is double what he is worth and it stinks of a panic buy a bit to me.

Overall though, very positive. I think overall our squad is stronger and we've made a profit of about £30m to balance the books and pay for the developments at Staplewood. I posted this in the locked thread, so I'll share it here again.

Tadic replaces Lallana

Pelle replaces Lambert

Mane replaces Gaston

Alderweirald replaces Jos

Gardos replaces Lovren

Bertrand replaces Shaw

Long replaces Osvaldo

Forster in

Chambers out

That's a pretty decent window IMO.

Plenty on here proven themselves that since the end of May.

With the full picture, I mean. Yes, we have to see how they gel, but apart from back up right back we've got more depth and similar potential. Not sure about Gardos or Mané yet, and amazed Mayuka is still around, but shifted some fringe players on, given others experience and importantly some options to buy after loan which could be great business too.

Fair play. Looks a hell of a lot better than a month or two ago and squad looks decent.

A few inexcusable PR gaffes in late May and June which set the tone for the media frenzy but since then they have done an admirable job.

Turning point probably the furore after the Chambers sale and the uncharacteristically strong Krueger interviews following it.

Looking forward to a good season. New contracts for Cork and Clyne would be great.

You are one of the primary people for prattling on every single day about what a meltdown it was, bore off.

I'll feel a lot better about it if we actually end up buying Bertrand and Alderweirald.

Got to be honest, I still don't feel as excited as I was last season simply because the way the players have acted has made me realise how out of touch they all are, and I don't feel the urge to go and cheer them on anymore. Hopefully I get that feeling back with a few wins though.

Forster

Clyne Alderweireld Fonte Bertrand

Wanyama

Schneiderlin Tadic

Mané Pellè Rodriguez

Boruc, Gardos, Targett, Cork, Ward-Prowse, Davis, Long

Likes of Reed, Yoshida, Isgrove and Gallagher around the squad as well. That is a strong, deep and versatile group. It would take two or three big flops from these signings for us not to finish top half again.

Edited by DuncanRG

Yes but there are a few of those types about the place aren't there?

No doubt they'll continue to defend their position in hindsight, because they were only going on the information they had at the time. Of course it's so easy to judge now they'll say.

Which of course is what the rest of us were saying they should do at the time. ;)

Indeed agree with that. The board deserve credit for getting some seemingly decent players in. The fans also deserve credit for putting their collective feet down and forcing the club into a U-turn over Morgan.

In summary, terrible start to the window and poor communication was a clear error from the board. To their credit, they learnt and finished the window strongly. Disappointed about gaston but excited to see how the new look team perform.

I'll feel a lot better about it if we actually end up buying Bertrand and Alderweireld.

Why? We've agreed fees, they're ours unless we don't want them, which would only happen if they were cack, and in that case, we don't have to spend the money.

I never want to see another window like it, but I suspect they're all going to be a bit like that from now on.

Good work from the club with the players in and the trolling from the PR department, we've now got more depth than last year at our two weakest positions, CB and GK, we've kept hold of key players and we've told Spurs and MoPo to do one multiple times and made them look stupid. Top work!

Indeed agree with that. The board deserve credit for getting some seemingly decent players in. The fans also deserve credit for putting their collective feet down and forcing the club into a U-turn over Morgan.

In summary, terrible start to the window and poor communication was a clear error from the board. To their credit, they learnt and finished the window strongly. Disappointed about gaston but excited to see how the new look team perform.

Yes I agree with all that but to me the jury is still out on LR

Squad wise, we look pretty strong now. It's too early to make meaningful comparisons with last year's first 11 as we need to see how some of the new guys settle in first.

I still think we should have taken the hard line we have taken with Schneiderlin earlier in the summer and we could have been in even better shape, but credit where credit is due, we generally appear to have spent the money well and did particularly well today with the 2 key signings in the areas we needed to strengthen most.