Newcastle Build Up

Wiggles31

Window closed now onto the next game.

I would bring in Cork and Wanyama for JWP and Davis. Then a debut for Toby in place of Yoshi.

2-0 win and a promising cameo for Mane (presuming he signs!)

Upbeat now for the season ahead. Finally have a strong squad and cover in most positions. COYS!

Can't imagine Cork will start, and we are a much more attacking threat with an attacking midfielder in there instead of Wanyama - his inclusion at the expense of a more attacking player was the problem with creativity against West Brom. Alderweireld will almost certainly start, but it remains to be seen if he plays left centre back instead of Yoshida or his usual position of RCB... instead of Fonte. You'd also expect Gardos might start to feature soon - or not at all.

Forster; Clyne, Alderweireld, Fonte/Yoshida/Gardos, Bertrand; Schneiderlin; Davis, Ward-Prowse; Tadic, Pelle, Long

Subs: Boruc (I hope); 2 from Fonte/Yoshida/Gardos, Cork, Wanyama, Reed/Mayuka/Gallagher, Mane

Feels weird not being able to plug in Gaston on the bench "just in case".

I would go with Cork as a front sweeper for this one, to repel attacks across the width of the pitch:

-------------------------------------Forster--------------------------------------

Clyne-----------------Fonte---------------------Maya-----------------Bertrand

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mane----------Long----------------Pelle--------------Tadic--------------Morgan

Subs: Kelvin, Gardos, Toby, Davis, Wanyama, JWP, Reed

I'd go for....

Forster

Clyne - Alderweireld - Fonte* - Bertrand

Cork - Schneiderlin - JWP

Long - Pelle - Tadic

Subs: Boruc**, Targett, Gardos, Wanyama, S Davis, Mane, Gallagher***

* Yes, I know Fonte isn't a left sided CB but....

** If head in the right place, otherwise K Davis

*** If fit, otherwise Mayuka or an U21 forward

Edit: I like Harry Reed and always try to get him into 'my' squad, but, injuries aside, it's difficult to see where he's going to get much opportunity as we're so strong (relatively) in midfield. Shame really, especially given he's often being touted as this year's "academy breakthrough" player. Maybe this'll be the first season in a while that we don't have such a breakthrough player?

Edited by trousers

I'd go for....

Forster

Clyne - Alderweireld - Fonte* - Bertrand

Cork - Schneiderlin - JWP

Long - Pelle - Tadic

Subs: Boruc**, Targett, Gardos, Wanyama, S Davis, Mane, Gallagher***

* Yes, I know Fonte isn't a left sided CB but....

** If head in the right place, otherwise K Davis

*** If fit, otherwise Mayuka or an U21 forward

Edit: I like Harry Reed and always try to get him into 'my' squad, but, injuries aside, it's difficult to see where he's going to get much opportunity as we're so strong (relatively) in midfield. Shame really, especially given he's often being touted as this year's "academy breakthrough" player.

I'd note that you don't need Targett on the bench if you have Alderweireld and Clyne in the team and a CB to cover Alderweireld for when he goes to RB and Clyne to LB.

Do this:

-----------------------Forster----------------------

Clyne---------Fonte-------Aldeweireld-------Bertrand

----------------------Morgan-----------------------

-------------Davis-------------JWP----------------

---------Tadic--------------------------Mane-------

-----------------------Pelle-------------------------

bench:

Boruc, Yoshida, Targett, Wanyama, Cork, Long, Gallagher/McQueen/Isgrove

Tough on Yoshida as he's been good this season but I would hope that Aldeweireld is a step up and has been signed, as Koeman alluded to, for more than his defensive qualities so it makes sense to get him in. I would let Gardos start in the League Cup with Fonte and leave him out for now.

With a home match against Toon I would throw Mane straight in. I view Long as cover for Pelle or as a player whose work and commitment provides an extra defensive element out wide/up front when needed but I think Koeman wants to grow the team with a proper direct ball carrier on one flank, swapping with Tadic. Against poor teams we could play Tadic at the top of midfield with Mane, Pelle and Long/Jay Rod as well.

One thing that is clear is that we now have great strength in depth and loads of options as to how we shape up in each match.

Forster (Boruc)

Clyne (Toby)

Bertrand (Targett)

Fonte (Yoshida)

Toby (Gardos)

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Davis / JWP / Cork / Reed

Tadic / Mane / Rodriguez / Long / Isgrove

Pelle / Long / Gallagher

It would be a worry if Tadic got crocked but everywhere else that is probably the strongest Saints squad I've seen and still lots of youngish players. Ten English there, out of 24 (and two from the island of Ireland).

i'm feeling optimistic!

----------------------Wanyama-----------------------

-------------Davis-------------Morgan----------------

bench:

Boruc, Yoshida, Targett, JWP, Cork, Long, Gallagher/McQueen/Isgrove

Clyne---------Fonte-------Alderweireld-------Bertrand

-------------JWP-------------Schneiderlin----------------

---------Tadić--------------------------Mané-------

-----------------------Pellè-------------------------

Bench: S.Davis, Boruc/K.Davis (depending on if his head's been reattached), Gardos, Long, Cork, Isgrove, Yoshida/Targett

Edited by JxgrSaint

-------------Davis-------------Morgan----------------

bench:

Boruc, Yoshida, Targett, JWP, Cork, Long, Gallagher/McQueen/Isgrove

Seconded... looks very strong

be a tough game. Like us, they have a fair few new players with a couple of them that look exciting

Villa kept it tight and restricted newcastle to only a few chances

need to keep that cabella chap quiet, he looks like he can be brilliant (as well as bad)

2-1 to saints

I'll go:

-----------------Forster-------------------------

Clyne-------Fonte----------Alderweireld-----------Bertrand

-------------------Wanyama----------------------------------

----------Cork--------------Schneiderlin--------------------

Long-------------------------------------------Tadic

-------------------Pelle-------------------------------------

Bench: Boruc, S.Davis, Yoshida, Mane, JWP, Gallagher, Targett

I'll go:

-----------------Forster-------------------------

Clyne-------Fonte----------Alderweireld-----------Bertrand

-------------------Wanyama----------------------------------

----------Cork--------------Schneiderlin--------------------

Long-------------------------------------------Tadic

-------------------Pelle-------------------------------------

Bench: Boruc, S.Davis, Yoshida, Mane, JWP, Gallagher, Targett

We're not going to play Schneiderlin, Cork and Wanyama.

Can't imagine Cork will start, and we are a much more attacking threat with an attacking midfielder in there instead of Wanyama - his inclusion at the expense of a more attacking player was the problem with creativity against West Brom. Alderweireld will almost certainly start, but it remains to be seen if he plays left centre back instead of Yoshida or his usual position of RCB... instead of Fonte. You'd also expect Gardos might start to feature soon - or not at all.

Forster; Clyne, Alderweireld, Fonte/Yoshida/Gardos, Bertrand; Schneiderlin; Davis, Ward-Prowse; Tadic, Pelle, Long

Subs: Boruc (I hope); 2 from Fonte/Yoshida/Gardos, Cork, Wanyama, Reed/Mayuka/Gallagher, Mane

Feels weird not being able to plug in Gaston on the bench "just in case".

Personally, I think the problem with creativity against West Brom was not specifically down to Wanyama. It was more to do with playing all four of Wanyama, Schneiderlin, JWP and Davis. In my view only 3 of these players can be selected to have balance/enough going forward. I would include Cork in that list... so it is 3 from 5. For me, the only one that has to start out of all of them is Schneiderlin. That leaves 2 from 4 of the others, which Koeman can select depending on the opposition.

That said, I'd expect Koeman to go with your midfield 3 for this game.

Looking forward to this, good opposition, new faces and should be a full house - cheap tickets for the Geordies will probably mean they'll have 3k down here.

And a different kind of welcome for Pelle from the thick ***** this time, I guess.

We're improving, home win.

well according to this -

http://mobile.nufc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=4116120

Newcastle have 'sold out' 2300 tickets which I guess means they are only taking the smaller allocation and block 43 will be opened up to saints fans, shame as that seems to dilute the atmosphere a bit when that happens.

I had a quick look on the saints ticket website and sales seem to be going well, not sure if that is due to the new found optimism of the fan base or the offer of family fun day but either way will be good to have a full house to welcome the new signings.

I reckon it will be a tight 1-0

well according to this -

http://mobile.nufc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=4116120

Newcastle have 'sold out' 2300 tickets which I guess means they are only taking the smaller allocation and block 43 will be opened up to saints fans, shame as that seems to dilute the atmosphere a bit when that happens

I'd imagine the club will offer them the full allocation if they've already sold out 2300 with the game still two weeks away.

Nice one.

I'd imagine the club will offer them the full allocation if they've already sold out 2300 with the game still two weeks away.

Nice one.

Who knows, but going by that article they're saying that their allocation is now completely sold out, with no mention of extra tickets going on sale.

It would be ridiculous if we we offering block 43 on a sale no return basis to Newcastle as we're not going to sell out all our own blocks.

Koeman's track record, even after just 3 games is evolution rather than revolution. My guess for the side against Newcastle is same starting XI as against West ham with just one change, which I think might be Gardos instead of Yoshida, who might drop out altogether. Aldeweireld and Mané on the bench with Wanyama and Cork plus Davis or Boruk. That leave two other places which I'll allow Koeman to fill.....

Fortster

Clyne

Fonte

Alderweireld

Bertrand

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Ward-Prowse

Long

Pelle

Tadic

Subs: Boruc, Yoshida, Gardos, Cork, Davis, Mane, Mayuka/Gallagher

I agree that that's the team he'll probably play (or with Davis for JWP). It's a great team.

BUT here's the team I'd personally like to see tried at some point:

Clyne

Fonte

Alderweireld

Bertrand

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Tadic

Mane

Isgrove

Pelle

I think big Vic and Morgan strong enough to hold the midfield, while Tadic Mane and Isgrove would tear them apart. I know, I know. Isgrove. I just really rate him. Every time I've seen him play he's added something special. Blistering pace. I think he's a more exciting option than Shane Long right now, though I'm sure Long will come good. Play this team for a 4-2 win !

I agree that that's the team he'll probably play (or with Davis for JWP). It's a great team.

Clyne

Fonte

Alderweireld

Bertrand

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Tadic

Mane

Isgrove

Pelle

I think big Vic and Morgan strong enough to hold the midfield, while Tadic Mane and Isgrove would tear them apart. I know, I know. Isgrove. I just really rate him. Every time I've seen him play he's added something special. Blistering pace. I think he's a more exciting option than Shane Long right now, though I'm sure Long will come good. Play this team for a 4-2 win !

Thats fighting talk... ;)

Clyne

Fonte

Alderweireld

Bertrand

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Tadic

Mane

Isgrove

Pelle

I've not seen anything in Isgrove to think he will ever be anything more than a bit part player unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong.

Never change a winning side.

But its down to how the training go over the next 2 weeks, utlimately. Might have been nice to have a friendly to accelerate the gelling.

I reckon we could win comfortably. Toon are pants.

Never change a winning side is nonsense, pick the side best equipped to win that game.

Never change a winning side is nonsense, pick the side best equipped to win that game.

Well, I believe in it. At least I wouldnt change it just because of a signature or a return from injury. I'd want to see an argument for it on the training ground.

Pity you decided to use such agression in your reponse. Nice to know its not something only I get accused of.

V Newcastle

Same as West Ham but perhaps Wanyama for Davis.

Over the season I'm guessing first choice team when ALL are fit

FoRster

Bertrand

Gardos

Alderweireld

Clyne

Morgan

Wanyama

Tadic

Mane

Pelle

JRod

Until JRod is fit Tadic out wide instead of more central with JWP or Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V Newcastle

Same as West Ham but perhaps Wanyama for Davis.

Over the season I'm guessing first choice team when ALL are fit

FoRster

Bertrand

Gardos

Alderweireld

Clyne

Morgan

Wanyama

Tadic

Mane

Pelle

JRod

Until JRod is fit Tadic out wide instead of more central with JWP or Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about your CB partnership. It may be strongest on paper, but unless he makes some right royal f**k ups, Fonte wont be dropped.

Never change a winning side.

But its down to how the training go over the next 2 weeks, utlimately. Might have been nice to have a friendly to accelerate the gelling.

I reckon we could win comfortably. Toon are pants.

Not much point having a gelling friendly when all the players we need to gel are away on international duty.

Can't see Yoshida holding his place, even though he was part of a winning side at Wet Spam, for two reasons - (1) his flapping boot did give away the goal, (2) he was in as cover for a first choice CB, who is now available. If Gardos is fit and is the LCB, then because Koeman has had a couple of weeks to assess him, I'd expect him to play ahead of Alderweireld who is primarily a RCB when not playing RB. I agree with Alpine, that we should win this one, hopefully by a clear margin.

Well, I believe in it. At least I wouldnt change it just because of a signature or a return from injury. I'd want to see an argument for it on the training ground.

Pity you decided to use such agression in your reponse. Nice to know its not something only I get accused of.

I'm not sure saying nonsense is aggressive.

I'm pretty sure the only change will be Toby for Yoshida.

The bench could look like this:

Boruc, Mane, Gardos, Wanyama, Yoshida, Gallagher (if fit)

That's a pretty handy bench, when you consider that Jay will be added to that sooner rather than later too.

A bench of regular internationals, bar Gallagher (well, U21's)

Are Senegall playing ?

Romania arent playing.

I dont know if Tadic and Pelle have been called up.

Surely we are only talking about Toby ?

Pelle hasn't, Tadic has. Senegal have ANC qualifiers against Egypt and Botswana (not necessarily in that order) to be played on the 5th and 10th September.

Yoshida has gone to Japan, Morgan has 2 games on Thursday and then Sunday, Forster probably won't play for England, Davis and Long will be with their respective Irish sides I suppose.