Garth Crook's Team of the Week

andoru

Unbelievably only one Saints player in it, but still better than the usual none. Pelle got picked as one of the strikers:

"The Italian looked good and his two goals against Newcastle made a bad time for under-pressure Magpies manager Alan Pardew considerably worse.

After a mass exodus of players at St Mary's during the close season I tipped Southampton to go down.

I think I may owe Saints fans an apology."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29200736

Unbelievably only one Saints player in it, but still better than the usual none. Pelle got picked as one of the strikers:

"The Italian looked good and his two goals against Newcastle made a bad time for under-pressure Magpies manager Alan Pardew considerably worse.

After a mass exodus of players at St Mary's during the close season I tipped Southampton to go down.

I think I may owe Saints fans an apology."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29200736

I liked that bit. I think a lot of people (saints fans and pundits a like) are eating some humble pie right now we might not do as well as last season but relegation certs we are not.

OK, as Doodsy said, fair does to Garth for coming out so quickly and saying that he might be wrong (still a long way to go, but we all know how things are looking). But as for the Team of the Week, it is a little too predictable. If you score a goal you have a chance of being in. If you score a winning goal (esp in a 1-0) then you are almost certain to get in. If you score more than one goal you are likely to get in, depending on how many others there are who score more than one goal. If you play for an "elite" club then you have more chance of getting in. That is the majority, and Senderos proves that this doesn't always apply.

How can You not pick Morgen???? The Mans a fool

Morgan didn't actually have his greatest game in a Saints shirt. There were a few cases in the first half where Sissoko went past him with relative ease, although Morgan had a good, solid game and scored a great goal, I am sure there would have been midfielders in the league who had a better game than him this weekend.

A more surprising omission from the "Team of the Week" for me was Alderwiereld. Obviously he will come up against a lot stronger opposition in a Saints shirt this year, but I don't remember anybody getting past him. He won everything in the air, and one particular tackle sticks in the memory for me where out by the left corner flag late in the second half he got turned inside and out by Cabella and then just when it looked like he was going to beat Toby and go past him he slid in, got all of the ball and left Cabella on the deck. Dejan who?

Morgan got 11% of the MOTM vote from Saints fans in the post match analysis thread. Cork got much higher, so surely Cork should have been there then...

Of course he got 11% because Pelle scored 2 goals, but that doesn't mean he wasn't the best player in the middle Overall in the Premier League.

And anyway half the People who vote don't even see the match

Edited by Andy Durman

• 6 months later...

The terry inclusion was a WTF moment - esp. when he said the reason for putting terry in his team was because he nearly scored. He was actually all at sea most of the game.

That weekly team of the week thing is just a joke article really. He is just a joke of a bloke, irritates the hell out of me.