Jack Cork, the man, and player we all love.

ART

Simon Peach has presented another of his really enlightening interviews in today's Independent. Today it's the chat he had with Jack Cork after Saturdays game. This is about the Jack who loves it at Saints and wants to be in the first team and stay at the club. This is not the Jack Cork, who some wanted us to cash in on. It's the player the Saints fans love and want to see be rewarded by a decent contract.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/cork-keen-to-cement-firstteam-spot-30589128.html

IMO he has been asked to keeping work hard (for a new contract offer) and has responded brilliantly. If he keeps going, unless he drops off dramatically, or wants crazy money, I am sure he will get an offer soon

I'm amazed he hasn't been offered one already tbh. Youngish, English and playing great what's not to love? Our cm is still one of the strongest in the whole prem.

I'm under no illusions. His return from Olympic injury saved our return to the PL.

Massively underrated by our fans.

Not sure I agree with you about being under rated by the fans. Certainly it seemed that MP under rated him. Maybe signing £12m Wanyama clouded the issue. But when injury meant that he had to be picked, he showed his true worth. This season, RK is still trying to find the best formation. Seeing Cork playing so far up the pitch second half was very interesting. So first half, he kept £12m Wanyama out, and second half he replaced £12m Long (in a position that £12m Ramirez would occupy). OK, some of his touches second half weren't perfect, but he wasn't in a position that he is normally occupying.

Sign him up ASAP.

I'm under no illusions. His return from Olympic injury saved our return to the PL.

Was that the season when you spent four months swooning over the "guts and determination" of Wigan Athletic and repeatedly told us they were going to overhaul us and we were going down with a whimper? That season?

I don't know any Saints fan who doesn't rate Cork either.

Simon Peach has presented another of his really enlightening interviews in today's Independent. Today it's the chat he had with Jack Cork after Saturdays game. This is about the Jack who loves it at Saints and wants to be in the first team and stay at the club. This is not the Jack Cork, who some wanted us to cash in on. It's the player the Saints fans love and want to see be rewarded by a decent contract.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/cork-keen-to-cement-firstteam-spot-30589128.html

good thread ART, .....I've always liked Jack's contribution to games, but he seems to have been ignored a bit by managers and fans alike in the past.

He was unlucky to lose his place (when Victor arrived) and his no goals tally didn't help improve his image either. He's been impressive so far this season and I hope Saints can find a solution for his future.

It seems the arrival of (his best mate) Ryan Bertrand (also quite impressive) may have created a new pairing that no-one had considered.

I have the feeling that as the season progresses we will see that some of Pochettino's "magical power" was merely " the King's new clothes " especially as Jack was ignored so much under his managerial reign.

Certainly, Koeman (who holds the world record for goals scored by a defensive midfielder. 207 incl. internationals)....seems to have put enthusiasm into Jack's game, and perhaps even Morgan's, too.

Getting on the scoresheet is the best confidence-builder any player can get.

Edited by david in sweden

I may be wrong, but it would seem a no brainer regarding a contract. With one he would command a transfer fee, without he leaves for nothing.

I would've thought it's highly unusual to have not opened talks over a new contract by now.

Especially when he's a player who is a good as he is.

The standing ovation he got when he left the field on Saturday was one of the best I can remember, it was goosebump worthy. Similarly when he scored his goal, just seemed like everyone in the stadium genuinely really loves Jack and was delighted for him. I will be gutted if he leaves our club, true unsung hero and a great footballer.

Cork is a model professional who always gives 100%, doesn't moan and winge, just buckles down and gets on with it. He and Davis are the stokers in the engine room and are the unsung heroes of our team. Sometimes it is only when a team loses players like them, that their true worth to the team is realised. They often don't get the glory that they deserve, because as a result of their efforts, others score goals, or don't concede them and the team benefits because they are team players, not individuals.

Sometimes it is equally as hard to replace players like Cork and Davis as it is others in more prominent positions in the team. Who stands out in the PL as players who give as much effort every match as the likes of them? Not many. As well as being decent, reliable players, they bring much more to the team in terms of the example that they set with their never say die attitude and they are a real plus in the dressing room to their team mates too, a big part of the spirit of Southampton.

The standing ovation he got when he left the field on Saturday was one of the best I can remember, it was goosebump worthy. Similarly when he scored his goal, just seemed like everyone in the stadium genuinely really loves Jack and was delighted for him. I will be gutted if he leaves our club, true unsung hero and a great footballer.

Sums up my feelings. He's been my favourite player of the recent bunch, ever since i was blown away by his play during our promotion season.

This is something I just don't understand - why for the love of god haven't we signed him up. Even Roko was eulogizing about him on Saturday.

Stop fecking about and get on with it

This. I see no credible reason why he hasn't been offered a new contract particularly after the praise he received from Koeman this week. If Koeman had any doubts when he arrived, surely those doubts would have been removed by now with Jack's attitude and performances since.

It was the clubs plan to make Jack Cork and Taider

IS this supposition or do you know this to be the case?

I would find it a little strange, as the important factor that JC has on his side is that he is home grown. So if you have 2 trying to get the 1 contract, then one presumes that they are seen to be quite even in ability/usefulness to the club, so the Home Grown would likely get the nod. Having sold 4 Home Grown players, and released others (who didn't play), it is an aspect of the squad that does need to be considered. Also, we have the smallest squad in the league so that there actually is room for both to be accommodated from a playing angle, but maybe the financial side is somewhat different.

Cork is a model professional who always gives 100%, doesn't moan and winge, just buckles down and gets on with it. He and Davis are the stokers in the engine room and are the unsung heroes of our team. Sometimes it is only when a team loses players like them, that their true worth to the team is realised. They often don't get the glory that they deserve, because as a result of their efforts, others score goals, or don't concede them and the team benefits because they are team players, not individuals.

Sometimes it is equally as hard to replace players like Cork and Davis as it is others in more prominent positions in the team. Who stands out in the PL as players who give as much effort every match as the likes of them? Not many. As well as being decent, reliable players, they bring much more to the team in terms of the example that they set with their never say die attitude and they are a real plus in the dressing room to their team mates too, a big part of the spirit of Southampton.

In every successful side there are always " unsung heroes " who seem to be ignored by almost everyone - except the manager.

Those who go back far enough may recall that former St.Mary's College schoolboy....Nick Holmes from Woolston, who played over 500 games games throughout Lawrie McMenemy's managerial time, and was used in almost every position on the field during his 14 year career.. and without ever winning an international cap at any level. His well-deserved FA Cup winners medal was a just reward.

He was one of Mc Menemy's "road-sweepers"...doing the hard work, so that the " stars " could see the glory. For me, Steve Davis and Jack Cork are in the same mould - I hope they get more credit.

Edited by david in sweden

I'm under no illusions.

Debatable.

His return from Olympic injury saved our return to the PL.

Defo the ostensible catalyst for uptick in form.

Is he? Most don't have a bad word to say about him, and say he's underrated!

......and did'nt I ....hear / read ....somewhere that RK said they would make a decision about a contract around Christmas time??

Yes, in the press conference for the Swansea game, answered the question about Cork with "no talks planned; will look at it in Dec/Jan". FWIW, no doubt in my mind he is a valuable player.

No he isn't - well I don't know any that don't rate him. Mind you we get to see him a lot. The ones that don't rate him probably don't even go to games (and no that is not pointed at you Alps).

Spot on. Great player, great pro, great person. Want him at our club for as long as possible!

I heard something very interesting yesterday from a decent source. Apparently not only was Cork's move to Palace for £3m agreed, he was actually packed and ready to go. Then Koeman marched into Reed's office, asked him what the hell was going on, and insisted that Jack was not to be sold. Big Les had to call Palace back and tell them it was off!