Did Cortese Do a Single Thing Wrong In His First Six Months?

Noodles34

It's not what he did in the 1st 6 months that caused his departure. It was the cancer he was spreading with in SFC. He somehow made some players, staff and fans believe that without him then SFC wouldn't be where it was. It would appear however that he was leading us down a very dark road, somewhere we have been before, somewhere I (as a fan) hope we never go again. The knew regime would appear to have cleared the decks of the disease, and kept us (at the very least) heading in the same direction. I for one would rather have a club which shows a slight profit, produces our own players than one which is dependent on Daddy's trust fund.

well of course, even before that he did persuade Marcus to put up the money to save the club from extinction....

.....but on the plus side, he put the club on a sound financial basis (even if it was only out of ML's petty cash in the first place).

Totally modernised the administration with state of the art methodology, and carried through the planning for Staplewood, and restructured the Academy. Well overdue and necessary.

on the other hand (-) ..totally ruthless with his personnel policy. Given time he might have sacked more managers that Daniel Levy.....and made enemies of some of the clubs legendary names.

What he did (organisationally) he did well, but the way he did it :scared: scared me....his man management skills were the worst I've seen in a lifetime. He may have understood business, but was no football fan.

I've seen more of a " human touch " through four interviews with Ralph Kreuger than 4 years with Nicola Cortese.

It's not what he did in the 1st 6 months that caused his departure. It was the cancer he was spreading with in SFC. He somehow made some players, staff and fans believe that without him then SFC wouldn't be where it was. It would appear however that he was leading us down a very dark road, somewhere we have been before, somewhere I (as a fan) hope we never go again. The knew regime would appear to have cleared the decks of the disease, and kept us (at the very least) heading in the same direction. I for one would rather have a club which shows a slight profit, produces our own players than one which is dependent on Daddy's trust fund.

Yep, that's about the size of it.

Like all good dictators he duped the foolish majority into believing it was all about him and without him they are nothing and people lapped it up. The clubs PR was awful when he was here, his own was outstanding.

Edited by Turkish

Yep, that's about the size of it.

Like all good dictators he duped the foolish majority into believing it was all about him and without him they are nothing and people lapped it up. The clubs PR was awful when he was here, his own was outstanding.

You can't have success and work effectively with the local media.

You can't have success unless we don't wear "precious" stripes.

You can't have success without the club acting like c unts to local recent club legends.

You can't have success without pi ss ing off, not paying and then settling on the court steps with local suppliers.

The only way to ever have success is to wear an abortion of a kit, isolate all former players, refuse to co-operate with local press, and for the leadership to generally act the cu nt in all situations.

A club wearing "precious" stripes and working proactively with local press and local ex players can never achieve anything. Nothing.

Fingers crossed we get knocked out on Tuesday because cup success is sh ite too.

Lowe made a boar load of mistakes, but ultimately until the end he had saints best interests at heart, started the academy and built the stadium.

Cortese made plenty of mistakes but to say he was anything less than a success in reality is wrong, a hard nosed businessman with plenty of ego however a lot of the future success is likely to be built on his foundations.

The new board, started off making mistakes, probably based on naivety, despite what looked like a bleak start to the season they've proven many people wrong and seem to have continued on from the success brought by cortese however with a lot more emphasis on reengaging with the fans

So all in all the process of moving forward as a football club is dependant on the success of a multitude of factors, Id say no chairman or board is free of negative press or criticism, all you can ask is that the positives outweigh the negatives. And I think thats something we can agree on.

Edited by Smirking_Saint

How's the Milan job going for little Nicky?

If his record of sacking managers is anything to go be then he can't take another job at the moment due to waiting for his contract to be paid up, he's in the process of starting legal action which will be settled the day before the court hearing, with Kat offering no explanation as to the delay.

Does it matter? If he was an angel for 6 months he went on to course all sorts of issues later on. Under his leadership we dragged ourselves back up to the Premiership so thanks for that. We have a new Board now who are demonstrating that you dont have to be a meglomaniac in order to run a football club so all's good.

The football was hugely successful but you can be successful without treating people like dirt. We also made 8th in the worst stripe ever and although I am sure many people would trade a kit for a decent finish looking like Liverpool never sat easy with me. We got to 2nd in the old Div 1 as afamily club with traditions and values. It can be done without the unpleasantness that Cortese often caused.

The football was hugely successful but you can be successful without treating people like dirt. We also made 8th in the worst stripe ever and although I am sure many people would trade a kit for a decent finish looking like Liverpool never sat easy with me. We got to 2nd in the old Div 1 as afamily club with traditions and values. It can be done without the unpleasantness that Cortese often caused.

Div 1 was a completely different era of football, you almost have to be ruthless to get ahead these days. Ive said all along Im a football fan first and foremost and as such footballing success for me is rated higher then any other thing attached to the club. Everyone else is welcome to their opinion thats just mine. At the end of the day cortese brought massive success and helped to grow the academy and install winning and successful techniques for squad prep. Im greatful for that but as his ego grew he had to go

If the new board can integrate a level of success with a much more approacheable management standard then we will have an excellent board on our hands. They recovered well this year, im excited to see where they take us

As for the kit I dont really care, the new ones the best striped kit we've had for ages (the designs get boring after 2-3 seasons) so ive liked the changes, though last year was pretty crap.

The biggest shame is, as you can see from this thread alone, cortese became a divisive figure. With what happened on the pitch and with the academy during his time here he could have been a legend. As it turns our he's gone and the dust has settled a large section of people now of the view that he did a good job but was a c*nt, others glad he's gone with a few still clinging to the belief he is the greatest man who has ever lived. It could have been different.

Of course there is no room for sentiment and you need to take a hard line sometimes but the way he treated people, fans, business with contempt and the way his ego ran away with him was a shame for him and for us, it ultimately cost him his job.

My point is re. the other thread, no one can tell just yet what is going to happen. No one knows for sure she isn't going to bugger off in the near future, so to continually admire some brand new regime is foolish. NC was under ML for the first six months, during that time things were pretty sweet as I remember. To a certain extent things changed when he died and NC was left with total control. Lets see where we are at the end of the season, and that's not about where we are in the league, though that will clearly be paramount. She has made 20 million this transfer window, no doubt MS and JR will go over the summer and she'll skim off some more (which she is entitled to do). Im just not fooling for all this 'new board' love in just yet, whilst NC was a total Arse sometimes and probably a pretty unpleasant guy in some respects, you cannot argue about what he achieved on the pitch and above all he gave us a new ambition that this new board have swept away (so far) by selling our best players.

My point is re. the other thread, no one can tell just yet what is going to happen. No one knows for sure she isn't going to bugger off in the near future, so to continually admire some brand new regime is foolish. NC was under ML for the first six months, during that time things were pretty sweet as I remember. To a certain extent things changed when he died and NC was left with total control. Lets see where we are at the end of the season, and that's not about where we are in the league, though that will clearly be paramount. She has made 20 million this transfer window, no doubt MS and JR will go over the summer and she'll skim off some more (which she is entitled to do). Im just not fooling for all this 'new board' love in just yet, whilst NC was a total Arse sometimes and probably a pretty unpleasant guy in some respects, you cannot argue about what he achieved on the pitch and above all he gave us a new ambition that this new board have swept away (so far) by selling our best players.

So it was an attention seeking look at me thread then.

The biggest shame is, as you can see from this thread alone, cortese became a divisive figure. With what happened on the pitch and with the academy during his time here he could have been a legend. As it turns our he's gone and the dust has settled a large section of people now of the view that he did a good job but was a c*nt, others glad he's gone with a few still clinging to the belief he is the greatest man who has ever lived. It could have been different.

Of course there is no room for sentiment and you need to take a hard line sometimes but the way he treated people, fans, business with contempt and the way his ego ran away with him was a shame for him and for us, it ultimately cost him his job.

I'd say club record underachieving signings cost him his job.

You were making these "oh its far too early to judge this regime, no one can tell what is going to happen yet" statements back in July, right?

The very dark road to 8th in the Premier League? What a hellish journey that was.

'LEADING' not 'LEAD' if action hadn't been taken, and Cortese had was still here then who knows what sort of wages we would be paying now. The fact that our two most expensive signings EVER (in fees and wages) are no longer at the club speaks volumes. Last season was amazing, Some great days out. But I always had that 'what if the money goes' question in my head. We were living beyond our means. The final outcome would have been a Leeds utd. Where as now it would appear we're back in the black, building. I am grateful that Cortese got Markus to invest but I still would have preferred a day at wembley and 12th than losing to Sunderland and finishing 8th. Maybe that's just me.

'LEADING' not 'LEAD' if action hadn't been taken, and Cortese had was still here then who knows what sort of wages we would be paying now. The fact that our two most expensive signings EVER (in fees and wages) are no longer at the club speaks volumes. Last season was amazing, Some great days out. But I always had that 'what if the money goes' question in my head. We were living beyond our means. The final outcome would have been a Leeds utd. Where as now it would appear we're back in the black, building. I am grateful that Cortese got Markus to invest but I still would have preferred a day at wembley and 12th than losing to Sunderland and finishing 8th. Maybe that's just me.

just to correct you, our two most expensive signings (back then) are no longer with us, correct and people harp on about this like its some sort of abnormality that we are guilty of. I could (with research) give you players at every single other club (Lamela - Spurs, Pogba - Utd, Torres - Chelsea........ Lallana _ Liverpool ;)) that have not worked out but apparently that's the chairman's fault :lol: FFS the money going? from a £4 billion owner, never going to happen, how you can compare us to Leeds? I agree on the cup run but i'll think you'll find that was the manager's call. what does back in the black, rebuilding mean? We built a pretty good side last season.

Sacked Andy Oldknow, banned nick Illingsworth, started to create the culture where good, long term members of staff felt it impossible to work under. Next.

with exception of the first bit, none of that happened in the first six months.

and your belated response is (avoiding the facts).....? And is sacking Andy Oldknow relevant to anything?