The ideal results for the weekend 27/28 Sept

Professor

Results over 20/21 Sept went so well for Saints, that it's interesting to speculate what results would suit us just as well next weekend. These aren't predictions but are just thoughts on what results next week would leave Saints' fans as happy as they are today (Mon).

Saints v QPR - win (obviously, because you can't be happy if your team lose and even a draw would be disappointing against Redknapp).

Liverpool v Everton - Everton win

Chelsea v Aston Villa - draw

Hull v Man City - draw

Man Utd v West Ham - draw

Sunderland v Swansea - Sunderland win

Arsenal v Tottenham - draw

Leicester v Burnley - Burnley win

Seems to me that mostly draws would suit us because then both teams drop points. If these results came about we would still be in second place but the gap to Chelsea would be reduced to 2 points. All of the teams in the seven places below us would be further away than they are now. Dream on zzzz......

Can't agree with some of those.

Surely Chelsea losing would be a must, that would put us top.

Also both Manc teams losing would be better. West ham, Villa and Hull will not finish above us this season, but with a bigger gap opening up between us and Manchester clubs should see us enjoy a loftier position for a bit longer.

Would also go for a Mersey side draw.

Only important result is our own at this stage of the season. Will be a tough game, QPR have no midweek cup game.

Shock horror....more negativity. I thought you said earlier this summer that we were going to finish last or something, and not be able to win any games. Why not have some positively about our midweek game? Look at it as a chance to bed in Mané so that he can rip QPR a new one come Saturday? As it is, listen to (ex)players and they say that this two games in a week is largely nonsense, as they want to (and are physically able to) play Tuesday/Saturday especially if the away trip is only a couple of hours up the road.

Shock horror....more negativity. I thought you said earlier this summer that we were going to finish last or something, and not be able to win any games. Why not have some positively about our midweek game? Look at it as a chance to bed in Mané so that he can rip QPR a new one come Saturday? As it is, listen to (ex)players and they say that this two games in a week is largely nonsense, as they want to (and are physically able to) play Tuesday/Saturday especially if the away trip is only a couple of hours up the road.

I do have positivity and am going to the game tomorrow and thinking we will do well.

My point is just that lets concentrate on winning our games rather than what others are doing. That is important after 30 games not 5.

None of the other games are of any real importance to us.

I do have positivity and am going to the game tomorrow and thinking we will do well.

My point is just that lets concentrate on winning our games rather than what others are doing. That is important after 30 games not 5.

None of the other games are of any real importance to us.

Of course they are.

Chelsea to lose: surely we want to be top, only if it is for a week, just for the LOLZ.

Very much this.

I could envisage Lallana sat in his bedroom, an Everton spanking fresh in his mind, rocking on the side of his bed, clutching a copy of The Sun which is opened on the page with the Premier League table, and a tear slowly dribbles down his cheek. He walks over to his wardrobe, digs out his old SFC kit, and kisses the badge. "One day," he mutters, "One day I'll be back home." On the wall is a dartboard, a photo of Dusan Tadic adorned upon it, and three darts aimed for his heart.

Of course they are.

Not really at this stage because we don't really know who our true rivals are.

City, Arsenal, United and Liverpool will all move above us by the end of the season and quite possibly Spurs and Everton.

We are probably competing with Swansea, West Ham, Villa etc but perhaps Leicester will continue their good run or maybe Newcastle will sack Pardew and end up having a good season.

For the first 10 games at least it is about seeinf what the other teams have got to offer and at this stage I am not bothered about any results other than ours. Of course its interesting and there were some crackers this weekend, but in overall terms they don't really influence us IMO.

Everyone wants Liverpool and Utd to lose now, but in 3 or 4 months we will be hoping they beat the teams around us, we just don't know exactly who they are yet.

City, Arsenal, United and Liverpool will all move above us by the end of the season and quite possibly Spurs and Everton.

We are probably competing with Swansea, West Ham, Villa etc but perhaps Leicester will continue their good run or maybe Newcastle will sack Pardew and end up having a good season.

For the first 10 games at least it is about seeinf what the other teams have got to offer and at this stage I am not bothered about any results other than ours. Of course its interesting and there were some crackers this weekend, but in overall terms they don't really influence us IMO.

Everyone wants Liverpool and Utd to lose now, but in 3 or 4 months we will be hoping they beat the teams around us, we just don't know exactly who they are yet.

That's by no means guaranteed. Most people spent the first half of last year saying Man Utd will come good, Moyes just needs time. Liverpool don't look anything special without Suarez either. They probably will finish above us but I wouldn't give up all hope just yet.

That's by no means guaranteed. Most people spent the first half of last year saying Man Utd will come good, Moyes just needs time. Liverpool don't look anything special without Suarez either. They probably will finish above us but I wouldn't give up all hope just yet.

Its not guarenteed but very, very likely because that is just the reality of the Premier League.

Its great not wanting them to win and everyone loved the Leicester result but for Saints you could argue that Swansea beating Utd first day of season wasnt a good result for us.

Just shows why there is little point worrying about early season results because we know come November or so the table will have changed.

All we can do is keep playing well and picking up points and then assess a bit later who our true rivals are in the season ahead.

Very much this.

I could envisage Lallana sat in his bedroom, an Everton spanking fresh in his mind, rocking on the side of his bed, clutching a copy of The Sun which is opened on the page with the Premier League table, and a tear slowly dribbles down his cheek. He walks over to his wardrobe, digs out his old SFC kit, and kisses the badge. "One day," he mutters, "One day I'll be back home." On the wall is a dartboard, a photo of Dusan Tadic adorned upon it, and three darts aimed for his heart.

and then walks over to his framed copy of his goodbye advert, kisses the tips of his first two fingers and lovingly places them on the his photos lips. As he walks over to his day bed he catches a glimpse of himself in one of the ten mirrors in his room and so he runs his hand though his hair whilst giving his head a gentle shake so his hair falls in place just how he like it. He then settles down to log in to his bank account to check out his balance.

Your completely missing the point of the OP. It's what's relevant now (this weekend) next week and the week after will probably be different.

Just enjoy the fun post as it was intended and lighten up.

I just want Chelsea to lose and us to win by 3 so we go top, even if it was for a week what a buzz.

When was the last time Saints were ever at the top of the 1st div\premier? Was it in the Keegan days?

We were top for about 10 minutes when 2-0 up at Derby on the opening day circa 2000...

I'm being lazy, but for the benefit of all of us, what are the odds EW?

Usually 1/4 the odds (so 250/1) to come first or second - not as generous a 20 horse race would be (pays at least 4 places).

There is a separate 'to finish in Top 4 market' which we are currently at 16/1