The new Southampton City gateway has failed its building inspection

mightysaints

Is that the new multicoloured one at the start of Thomas Lewis way?

It is absolutely the worst building I have ever seen. It is offensive and utter garbage and I can't believe the planners let it through. It's just utter balls!

Edited by B Rabbit

It is absolutely the worst building I have ever seen. It is offensive and utter garbage and I can't believe the planners let it through. It's just utter balls!

I take it you don't stray too far from your warren, B Rabbit.

uglybuilding.png

That's a nursery school.

It is REALLY grim, but it can't be as bad as the Woolwich Tesco, surely?

http://www.london24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3755672!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/image.jpg

Leaving to one side this planning issue for the moment, not for the first time I find myself in total disagreement with the majority on here because to my eye this structure looks like a outstanding example of contemporary architecture. Okay some of the guttering looks rather heavy-handed and the side blocks attached the tower could be accused of being a tad uninspiring I suppose, but their understated simplicity is almost certainly deliberate.

The central tower itself provides the focus for the complex and it is surely a stunningly good design. I love its proportions and the unusual oval shape. The faceted and contrasting surface textures applied also raise the building above the ordinary. Above all the artfully chosen colour palette the architect has chosen is both bold and highly successful I think. Do you lot really want yet another dull 'glass' covered tower?

No, far from being some 'blot' on the cityscape of Southampton, methinks the 'Gateway' should be seen as a asset to any forward looking modern city. I can only wish that my home town had a building half as good as this.

southampton.jpg

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Leaving to one side this planning issue for the moment, not for the first time I find myself in total disagreement with the majority on here because to my eye this structure looks like a outstanding example of contemporary architecture. Okay some of the guttering looks rather heavy-handed and the side blocks attached the tower could be accused of being a tad uninspiring I suppose, but their understated simplicity is almost certainly deliberate.

The central tower itself provides the focus for the complex and it is surely a stunningly good design. I love its proportions and the unusual oval shape. The faceted and contrasting surface textures applied also raise the building above the ordinary. Above all the artfully chosen colour palette the architect has chosen is both bold and highly successful I think. Do you lot really want yet another dull 'glass' covered tower?

No, far from being some 'blot' on the cityscape of Southampton, methinks the 'Gateway' should be seen as a asset to any forward looking modern city. I can only wish that my home town had a building half as good as this.

southampton.jpg

I agree it's not that bad. Living in London and seldom visiting Southampton these days, I see far worse up here. True it does look like an upturned cigarette butt!

southampton.jpg

Did you design it?

It is appalling. It is uninspiring, looks drab and already looks dated. It's like the fad with throwing wood up on new houses, it'll weather very quickly.

If they wanted to do something contemporary rather than glass (although glass does look great), then why not a brick built tower? Battersea Power Station style - that still looks amazing and red brick can offer a large building a huge amount of character.

Like this in Kingston; http://www.architecturelist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/1539tothemanorborn_pic3.jpg

Did you design it?

It is appalling. It is uninspiring, looks drab and already looks dated. It's like the fad with throwing wood up on new houses, it'll weather very quickly.

If they wanted to do something contemporary rather than glass (although glass does look great), then why not a brick built tower? Battersea Power Station style - that still looks amazing and red brick can offer a large building a huge amount of character.

Like this in Kingston; http://www.architecturelist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/1539tothemanorborn_pic3.jpg

Agree about it already looking dated. It is two boxes and a cylinder. Brilliant. The aspect shown by CEC above is visible only from the inside of the site. From the road it looks hideous. So far CEC, you are the only person I have heard say that they like it. As for the 'artfully chosen colour palette'? How often is the colour of the sky as above? Photoshop me reckons. In the flesh it is bland seventies tripe. That sounds like a Farrow and Ball colour to be fair.

southampton.jpg

That looks awful. A couple of square tower blocks with an upturned cigarette butt f*cked in between.

I think it looks good, especially in the sunlight, but then I am about half a century younger than most of you dinosaurs ;)

Interesting to know why it's not opened yet though, I looked on the uni website and it definitely said it would be open for students this year but was confused why I never saw any lights on inside it. Guess that explains it!

southampton.jpg

Self-indulgent narcissistic pile of trash. It's going to look awful in a few years. In fact it looks awful now.

I agree it's not that bad. Living in London and seldom visiting Southampton these days, I see far worse up here. True it does look like an upturned cigarette butt!

Having visited brilliant maritime museums in such places as Oslo, Hamburg, Amsterdam and I hate to say it Liverpool and Glasgow too, considering Southampton's Ocean Liner heritage its just a shame that this is the best they can do. Southampton really does need something to bring the tourist flocking in much the same way as Portsmouth does. The maritime heritage is just as strong in Southampton as Portsmouth, and not just the dam Titanic.

This 'thing' is anything but an outstanding example of a contemporary piece of architecture...it is the complete opposite...it's not even a piece Of architecture...it's a building. A value engineered, ugly as f**k one.

Architecture is about clarity and strength of form and the language in the building is so confusing, Coupled with the absolutely atrocious colour scheme. (There is an unwritten rule of 3 materials Tia pallet ... I can see 6 in that photo alone!)

The idea of a vista tower on the corner addressing the road is absolutely fine but the cladding and proportions are absolutely shot to sh*t...and if you look from the other end stepping up, it looks like they've stuck some f**king astro turf on the external wall which was probably a green living wall at one point.

if the material choice was better it 'probably' wouldn't be as offensive as it is...but it's a fad building and has no depth to it whatsoever... Completely commercially driven (by Bouygues / Warings) and is a total eye sore which looks cheap now and will look worse in 10 years. I'll put money on the render looking like someone has wiped their ar5e on it in a couple of years.

Just yuck.

That aside....I can't believe anyone wouldn't design in the correct number of escape stairs...but then..some bell end thought this building looked nice so it doesnt surprise me that the same moron would forget a stair.... Or maybe it got value engineered out as it may have cost some money to the developer... In the same way that doing a well considered / proportioned building would have cost some money too.

Did you design it?

It's a hell of a lot better than what was there before.

How do you know it will weather badly? What's it made of?

This 'thing' is anything but an outstanding example of a contemporary piece of architecture...it is the complete opposite...it's not even a piece Of architecture...it's a building. A value engineered, ugly as f**k one.

Architecture is about clarity and strength of form and the language in the building is so confusing, Coupled with the absolutely atrocious colour scheme. (There is an unwritten rule of 3 materials Tia pallet ... I can see 6 in that photo alone!)

The idea of a vista tower on the corner addressing the road is absolutely fine but the cladding and proportions are absolutely shot to sh*t...and if you look from the other end stepping up, it looks like they've stuck some f**king astro turf on the external wall which was probably a green living wall at one point.

if the material choice was better it 'probably' wouldn't be as offensive as it is...but it's a fad building and has no depth to it whatsoever... Completely commercially driven (by Bouygues / Warings) and is a total eye sore which looks cheap now and will look worse in 10 years. I'll put money on the render looking like someone has wiped their ar5e on it in a couple of years.

Just yuck.

That aside....I can't believe anyone wouldn't design in the correct number of escape stairs...but then..some bell end thought this building looked nice so it doesnt surprise me that the same moron would forget a stair.... Or maybe it got value engineered out as it may have cost some money to the developer... In the same way that doing a well considered / proportioned building would have cost some money too.

Having been born and bred in Swaythling. Played on that waste ground as a kid and now drive past it twice a day, I was going to say it looks sh ite.

But THIS will do .

Thanks Rabbit

Just yuck.

*LIKE*

Since there seem to be one or two people on here who actually know about the subject, (which I don't) Ithought I would throw this into the discussion.

A scottish category A building that must have been extraordinary in its hey day, and now......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter's_Seminary,_Cardross

No real connection with Southampton, obviously. I imagine it will need new fire escapes if it ever gets used again.

Well beauty is indeed 'in the eye of the beholder' as they say, and my 'eye' is showing me a attractive modern building that will stand the test of time I think.

Needless to say other opinions are available ... if only some on here could express those opinions without foaming at the mouth while they do so this forum might yet become a more civil and rather less antagonistic place to visit.

That'll be the day. :)

Since there seem to be one or two people on here who actually know about the subject, (which I don't) Ithought I would throw this into the discussion.

A scottish category A building that must have been extraordinary in its hey day, and now......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter's_Seminary,_Cardross

No real connection with Southampton, obviously. I imagine it will need new fire escapes if it ever gets used again.

I like that, brutal!

It's also why I absolutely love Rowley Way; http://media.rightmove.co.uk/4k/3344/33342503/3344_459219A_IMG_00_0001.JPG

Well beauty is indeed 'in the eye of the beholder' as they say, and my 'eye' is showing me a attractive modern building that will stand the test of time I think.

Needless to say other opinions are available ... if only some on here could express those opinions without foaming at the mouth while they do so this forum might yet become a more civil and rather less antagonistic place to visit.

94238190.png

Some if us have educated, informed, professional opinions.... Others just have opinions :nod:

So 99.9% of buildings will weather?

(Just thought, the new Morrisons that opened on the ground floor won't be making much money then)

Indeed they do, but brick and stone will weather slowly and nicely. Concrete never looks good but anything with artificial colouring will fade. The ultraviolet degrades the pigments.