Alice Gross

sadoldgit

Sadly they have found a body and it seems as if it is her. Always feared the worst but this is horrible news and my heart goes out to her family. As a father of three girls this is my worst nightmare. 2014 and you still cant walk around without the fear of some sick b@stard doing something unspeakable. I am against capital punishment but at times like this I do wonder if we are too lenient on the rapists and murderers. If it is the guy they suspect he has already killed before. Just awful news.

Sadly they have found a body and it seems as if it is her. Always feared the worst but this is horrible news and my heart goes out to her family. As a father of three girls this is my worst nightmare. 2014 and you still cant walk around without the fear of some sick b@stard doing something unspeakable. I am against capital punishment but at times like this I do wonder if we are too lenient on the rapists and murderers. If it is the guy they suspect he has already killed before. Just awful news.

They year makes no difference at all. Human nature and the law of averages means there will always be the tiny chance of something horrible happening and there always will be. Very sad news.

They year makes no difference at all. Human nature and the law of averages means there will always be the tiny chance of something horrible happening and there always will be. Very sad news.

I agree. It is just a shame that no matter how much human beings advance as a species there will always be those who can and do commit dreadful crimes such as this.

There is that of course but what are the chances of a convicted murder being in the same place at the same time as someone who goes missing? If he is innocent it is possible that DNA evidence could clear his name.

Oh I agree but what is odd is that he didn't go missing until a week after her disappearance. I would have thought he would have disappeared immediately after the event. But it appears that it was only when CCTV of him doing the same journey 15 minutes later that he did a runner. Because he knew they were on to him or because he was scared his previous record would militate against him? Who knows

Wether this guy did it or not it's still nuts that you can stab and beat someone to death and be out behind a young girl on a towpath 7 years later.

What's even more nuts is the fact that when he was questioned quite recently about an attack on a(nother) teenage girl, the police didn't seem to question his history! I guess his 7 year sentence was imposed by Latvian courts and there's bugger all we can do about that.

What's even more nuts is the fact that when he was questioned quite recently about an attack on a(nother) teenage girl, the police didn't seem to question his history! I guess his 7 year sentence was imposed by Latvian courts and there's bugger all we can do about that.

You'd think that the police would check his records though. It is not that difficult to check and see if there are offences committed elsewhere.

You'd think that the police would check his records though. It is not that difficult to check and see if there are offences committed elsewhere.

You'd like to think so but I don't think there are any checks on those coming here. Sometimes I think that's a main reason for them wanting to come here.

But if you were a police man/woman and you'd just pulled him in for questioning about an offence, wouldn't common sense dictate that you look into his background and record in previous countries?

Common sense I would have thought although I know the police are hugely under-resourced these days.

There is a process called Letter of Request where the police and CPS liaise to get info or extradition of suspects. It can be longwinded depending on the country involved. Here they just tap into the police computer records but no so straightforward abroad. I think so countries like to hear what evidence you have before they devolve any info themselves.

But if you were a police man/woman and you'd just pulled him in for questioning about an offence, wouldn't common sense dictate that you look into his background and record in previous countries?

Common sense I would have thought although I know the police are hugely under-resourced these days.

Or he disappears himself because he's scared he'll be accused, based on his past record, because he happened to be in the area at the same time?

So one minute he's scared he'll be a suspect because he's done similar before yet the next the old bill should take into account his previous when questioning him. Make you're mind up.

Anyway, very very sad.