Koeman - Manager of the month?

Saint Garrett

I think we're the only team with 100% record in September. Leicester might get it based purely on their Man U result though.

Be nice recognition for RK and the great work he's achieved.

Pelle for Player of the Month?

It's got to be Diego Costa for Player of the Month, probably with Fabregas runner-up

Wouldn't be surprised if the decision takes some account of who the opponents were. While Chelsea did draw one game that was away to Man City and they scored 6 goals away to Everton. They also scored 4 goals in their one home league against Swansea. We had two home games against arguably easier opposition and one away game which was against 10 men for over half the match. Much as Mourinho irritates me, I suspect he might get the award but the media are quite impressed with the turn around that Koeman has presided over from a depleted squad as they see it, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Hope not, as it usually results in a collapse of form. Prefer it if Koeman gets manager of the season !!

It only seems that way because of reversion to the mean. There is no cause and effect relationship between winning the award and playing poorly.

• 2 weeks later...
It only seems that way because of reversion to the mean. There is no cause and effect relationship between winning the award and playing poorly.

Incorrect. The vast majority of clubs suffer a dip in form after the manager receives the award. It's like players winning MOM, they usually suffer a dip in form after the accolade. It's been scientifically proven, it's called the cheetah effect.

Never forget Chris Nicholl getting it and saying that he'd open it after the next win....20 leage and cup games later Ruddock blasts in a last minute penalty winner so that he could finally pop the cork...

Was that Newcastle at home? The game that basically relegated them and kept us up.

Was that Newcastle at home? The game that basically relegated them and kept us up.

A mate of mine left the UK and went to Australia that autumn for about 4-5 months. When he left we were (I think) 5th in the table. We didn't win a game in his absence and he returned to find us on the brink of relegation. First week he was back we got that pen against Newcastle and stayed up pretty comfortably thereafter. If the season had only included games when he was in the country we'd have qualified for Europe!

Yes. Was back of the Milton and everyone covered their eyes when they saw ruddock was taking it. 89th minute pen when rod Wallace was taken out by their keeper. 2 minutes after the goal le Tiss got the ball and wacked it out of the ground over the wall area in the Milton to basically end the game, the cheer for that was almost as loud as the cheer for the goal.

A mate of mine left the UK and went to Australia that autumn for about 4-5 months. When he left we were (I think) 5th in the table. We didn't win a game in his absence and he returned to find us on the brink of relegation. First week he was back we got that pen against Newcastle and stayed up pretty comfortably thereafter. If the season had only included games when he was in the country we'd have qualified for Europe!

Very similar to me. Went to America in November came back March or April and we hadn't won a game since I'd been away.

Incorrect. The vast majority of clubs suffer a dip in form after the manager receives the award. It's like players winning MOM, they usually suffer a dip in form after the accolade. It's been scientifically proven, it's called the cheetah effect.

I assume I am failing to understand the cheetah joke. Is it an English thing?

Yes. Was back of the Milton and everyone covered their eyes when they saw ruddock was taking it. 89th minute pen when rod Wallace was taken out by their keeper. 2 minutes after the goal le Tiss got the ball and wacked it out of the ground over the wall area in the Milton to basically end the game, the cheer for that was almost as loud as the cheer for the goal.

Memory might be playing tricks but if i remember rightly it was just before Matty took the penalty duties away from Ruddock? Season after we started playing the most ridiculously attacking football i've ever seen and still goes down as one of my favourite times as a Saints fan.

Stood at the back of Milton as close to being "under the roof" as possible watching us rip teams to pieces with all out attack.

Nicholl was and still is one of my favourite ever Saints managers, got dogs ear abuse towards the end of his time here though sadly.

Memory might be playing tricks but if i remember rightly it was just before Matty took the penalty duties away from Ruddock? Season after we started playing the most ridiculously attacking football i've ever seen and still goes down as one of my favourite times as a Saints fan.

Stood at the back of Milton as close to being "under the roof" as possible watching us rip teams to pieces with all out attack.

Nicholl was and still is one of my favourite ever Saints managers, got dogs ear abuse towards the end of his time here though sadly.

Think you mean season before, 89/90, finished 7th, should have finished third but for last defeats in N Lomdon, greatest season ever, managed to get to every game that season, home and away. Above is the following season, went with lots of optimism but that run nearly killed us, though Bob Higgins (remember him?) called it right at the start and said we would struggle.

Nicholl was a sound guy but had to go in the end, lucky we got Branfoot after!