Clyne and Forster called up for England

Batman

As a Saints fan in Australia am I allowed to say I hope not? Of course he deserves it, and he should be, but I don't want anything to distract him from his performance at club level.

Hodgson will only ruin him one way or another anyway.

With having Forster in the squad as someone who has moved to Saints and is still in the England set-up, I hope he would be somewhat "protected".

Surely he won't be ignored again?

Right?

I'll be amazed and disappointed if he is ignored again, he has been a stand out player for us not only this season but last as well and right back is a slot England have struggled with since Gary Neville retired it's becoming a big like left back before Ashley Cole!

Surely he won't be ignored again?

Right?

Would someone from the previous squad have to be dropped or have there been any injuries that would help create a place? They rarely seem to 'drop' squad members once they've got a place.

When is the squad announced?

It wouldn't surprise me if he misses out seeing as England have a glut of players who can play at right back, I heard that nipper Chambers from Arsenal can play both CB and RB so no need to pick Clyne failing that the boy Blackett at manure has to be worth a spin in that position too before they have to delve down to the bottom of the barrel for a player who might know the No2 Goalkeeper might be familiar with.

I fully trust Hodgson to pick the right man for the job without being influenced by the club they play at and the NAME on the back of the shirt.

With having Forster in the squad as someone who has moved to Saints and is still in the England set-up, I hope he would be somewhat "protected".

......(although I accept he's hardly likely to be in the squad) .....surely Ryan Bertrand must be on someone's short list.. .although Baines' is an obvious choice, as Shaw is " out of sorts " with MU atm.

As a Saints fan in Australia am I allowed to say I hope not? Of course he deserves it, and he should be, but I don't want anything to distract him from his performance at club level.

Hodgson will only ruin him one way or another anyway.

I agree.

I'm suspect that our players go away with England and have their ears constantly bent back by 'big club' players telling them how wonderful life is at Man Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal ... etc and what a brilliant idea it would be if they dumped little old SFC for the green pastures (and enormous pay packets) that await them elsewhere.

PS - my lawyers have instructed me to make it quite clear that this activity is not of course a underhanded form of 'tapping up' and that no respectable Premier League club would engage in such a thing - perish the thought!

:scared:

I agree.

I'm suspect that our players go away with England and have their ears constantly bent back by 'big club' players telling them how wonderful life is at Man Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal ... etc and what a brilliant idea it would be if they dumped little old SFC for the green pastures (and enormous pay packets) that await them elsewhere.

PS - my lawyers have instructed me to make it quite clear that this activity is not of course a underhanded form of 'tapping up' and that no respectable Premier League club would engage in such a thing - perish the thought!

Apart from crowing about getting paid triple for doing two thirds of eff all I'm not sure our English defectors will be bending too many ears this year.

Surely if Clyne continues to be ignored then it gives him greater justification to leave?

In any case, unless he signs a new deal before the end of the season we may have to cash in on him in the summer regardless unless we want to risk losing a 15m asset for nothing the summer after.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully he gets an England spot, plays every week for us and commits for another 3 or 4 years.

Get called-up: Get tapped up by players at bigger clubs.

No call-up: 'I need to leave to fulfil my career ambitions'

Can't win. Might as well have him called up and get a bigger fee for an England international.

^ Ha! Was just thinking along similar lines.

I was so happy when Rickie/Jay/Adam got their call up's last season, but after the summer we just had and hearing about Gerrard's little chats with them, I just can't get that excited by an England call-up any more.

I hope he is called up, as well as being deserved, it will be a gentle reminder to everyone that it's business as usual at SMS - still developing young talent and supplying the national team.

We can't wish disappointment on our own players just to keep them under the radar, and it's not as if Liverpool and Man Utd can hold onto their best players when their heads are turned by cash.

All UK clubs are selling clubs, it's just that with Saints' reputation built on producing internationals, we get the best prices.

And the Emu has it right, no one from Liverpool or Man Utd will be bigging up their current lives!

I agree.

I'm less worried to be honest. We are second in the league, the players are loving it and its a great time at the club...

Plus anyone who wants to see what its like at the big time clubs only has to speak to bertrand or see how well the judas players are doing to know the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Final point, Clyne turned down united before joining us, and we gave him the right back squad and moved chambers on... expect him to show some loyalty after that tbh.

I really hope so, he's better than every other English right back, he deserves the recognition. It's also interesting that it's not just us Saints fans that have been calling for him in the squad too; pretty much every BBC article involving the national team with a comments section has Clyne's name in every other comment. He might start to 'do a Morgan' if he doesn't get called up soon...

As for last season's English lot, Lallana and Chambers will definitely get in, I expect Rickie will too so he can be thrown on with 5 minutes to go, like in every game he's played since he left us because other managers don't seem to understand him as a footballer. Luke Shaw has now played a game for Man United so he's nailed on.

Get called-up: Get tapped up by players at bigger clubs.

No call-up: 'I need to leave to fulfil my career ambitions'

Can't win. Might as well have him called up and get a bigger fee for an England international.

Spot on. May as well be pragmatic about it.

We all know English football is only about 5 or 6 clubs nowadays. All we are doing currently is providing the freak interest...

No good will come of it. We know he's good enough but do we really care about him being called up for England who at best play cr.ap and at worst utter *****.

Why would we want any of our players to come under the influence of Hodgson and his cronies even for a couple of weeks? All of Ron's good work undone in a thrice.

Nat Clyne is part of something very much better than playing for England, the last thing we want right now is him being sucked into a system that has ruined every player that ever turned out for the national side. We certainly don't want him talking to the likes of Lallana with his narrow and bigoted view of loyalty.

Surely if Clyne continues to be ignored then it gives him greater justification to leave?

Morgan, Lallana, RL, Rodriguez etc have all got their first call up whilst at Saints. If Clyne doesn't get the nod its because someone fails to recognise his ability, not because he's at Saints. Would be odd for Shaw to be in the squad given hes barely played this season.

Morgan, Lallana, RL, Rodriguez etc have all got their first call up whilst at Saints. If Clyne doesn't get the nod its because someone fails to recognise his ability, not because he's at Saints. Would be odd for Shaw to be in the squad given hes barely played this season.
Why would it be strange for Shaw to be in the squad? On the basis that he is match fit and Hodgson considers him one of the two best English left backs, then he should obviously be picked.

Why would it be strange for Shaw to be in the squad? On the basis that he is match fit and Hodgson considers him one of the two best English left backs, then he should obviously be picked.

You're forgetting that as he now doesn't play for Saints Shaw is crap and only picked because he plays for Man United, Bertrand should be in ahead of him every day of the week.

Players always have to be 5 times better to get into the squad if they aren't at a big club. Just look at Chambers, ignored for the whole of last season, signs for Arsenal and he's in the squad after 2 games.

Played out of position, too.

Would be funny if it's Bertrand and Clyne in the senior squad but I doubt that will happen. Stones will be picked to play out of position at right back with Phil jones or some other player from a "top" team and Baines will be left back with god knows who as back up.

Would be funny if it's Bertrand and Clyne in the senior squad but I doubt that will happen. Stones will be picked to play out of position at right back with Phil jones or some other player from a "top" team and Baines will be left back with god knows who as back up.
Is Phil Jones currently fit? Has Stones been playing for Everton?

Stones has been in a poor defence and has a lot to learn. Flanagan has been poor defensively, isn't a first choice player and played out of position when he did.

How the hell did these 2 move ahead of Clyne at RB? Utterly insane. And Glen Johnson, first choice for so long despite being woeful.

What ever happened to Walker? Is he injured or has everybody just finally realised that he's useless?