Morgan Schneiderlin comments in 'France Football' magazine

Saint-Armstrong

Tweets from @mattspiro, French football writer and broadcaster:

@mattspiro: Schneiderlin gives blow-by-blow account of Saints spat in France Football: 'Either I posted that tweet or I went into club firing teargas'

@mattspiro: Schneiderlin: "Everyone was leaving, no new signings, fans going mad... the bosses said 'if we sell Morgan, they'll burn down the stadium'."

@mattspiro: Schneiderlin decided to stay after hearing fans sing name at Anfield. Now targeting CL qualification. 'It'd be a bomb in English football'

Obviously a lot less serene behind the scenes than the Jeremy Wilson piece would have us believe. Though probably somewhere between that and Morgan's blowing off steam. Always felt Krueger's interview was not planned and reactionary, but at least Morgan still believes in the Championship League dream.

Obviously a lot less serene behind the scenes than the Jeremy Wilson piece would have us believe. Though probably somewhere between that and Morgan's blowing off steam. Always felt Krueger's interview was not planned and reactionary, but at least Morgan still believes in the Championship League dream.
The Wilson piece didn't class everything as serene. Also, this is just Schneiderlin's opinion - who knows what other players were thinking? He's hardly going to come out now and say "I fancied playing under Pochettino again, so wanted to push for a move to Spurs" is he?

What a dumb bed wetter Morgan is. He obviously didn't have the foresight of many on here who knew we'd be fine during all the player sales.

He is a professional who is concerned for his own future. If you were at your workplace and the director changed and then all the good staff started leaving- what would you do? You would do what is best for you and your family- he is only human and actually our best player this season. Together we stand not griping at our players. If he leaves he leaves- it will be his decision and will be what is best for his personal career and situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"After I refused to play the friendly against Leverkusen on August 9? The chairman came to tell me he will let me have the weekend to think about it. I talked to a lot of people. Some told me to start a trail of strength, to go on strike, that the club will finally give up. But it was like tossing a coin. My agents never told me to go on strike, they just told me to make my decision. I also felt the officials will not let me leave. They would have preferred to put me on the side-lines for 6 months. So I resumed training-sessions, I really needed to play football again and I played against Liverpool. At Anfield, all the Southampton fans applauded me and chanted my name. It was so heart-warming. So I knew I would spend the whole season at Southampton."

"After I refused to play the friendly against Leverkusen on August 9? The chairman came to tell me he will let me have the weekend to think about it. I talked to a lot of people. Some told me to start a trail of strength, to go on strike, that the club will finally give up. But it was like tossing a coin. My agents never told me to go on strike, they just told me to make my decision. I also felt the officials will not let me leave. They would have preferred to put me on the side-lines for 6 months. So I resumed training-sessions, I really needed to play football again and I played against Liverpool. At Anfield, all the Southampton fans applauded me and chanted my name. It was so heart-warming. So I knew I would spend the whole season at Southampton."

He'll be gone next Summer then, just in time for JWP to take his place and increase the continuity we're trying to build up. We'll get nearly £30m for him too.

Good attitude. Also, refusing to play in a game is knobbish Morgs.

He'll be gone next Summer then, just in time for JWP to take his place and increase the continuity we're trying to build up. We'll get nearly £30m for him too.

The Mirror reckon we are about to offer him a new contract, would be amazing if he signed a new one.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-set-offer-morgan-schneiderlin-4379220

Think most are expecting that.

Talked about this on the way to the Arsenal game. I think we've done what most clubs do when a player wants away to a big club. Promise a move in the summer in exchange for a bit of decorum in the interim.

See also Suarez, Ronaldo, etc.

Fantastic player though. In the very unlikely event that we do sneak into the top four, it'll be interesting to see what he decides.

Since most expect Morgan to leave in the summer, It makes the decision not to have signed Corky up even more odd.

Not really, 2 completely different players. If we should sell Morgan we'll buy a replacement far far better than Cork. Don't get me wrong I like Cork but he can't replace a far better player, but he should play with him just now;

If this story about him being offered a new contract is true and he ends up signing it, it will be interesting to see what he says. I think we can establish that either way he'd be of in the summer unless we somehow finish Top4/5. If he turns around and comes out with loads of rubbish like Lallana did after he signed his, then he'd go from saints hero to zero just like Judas did, when he leaves.

Since most expect Morgan to leave in the summer, It makes the decision not to have signed Corky up even more odd.
I'd obviously like to see Cork sign a new contract, but ultimately if Schneiderlin does go and for £25m+, we'll be looking to bring in a replacement a step above Cork's level.

Not really, 2 completely different players. If we should sell Morgan we'll buy a replacement far far better than Cork. Don't get me wrong I like Cork but he can't replace a far better player, but he should play with him just now;

Odd. We'll be lucky to find a player "far far better than Cork".

It certainly makes me think that selling Schneiderlin was in their plans until they saw the backlash after the Chambers sale.

Talked about this on the way to the Arsenal game. I think we've done what most clubs do when a player wants away to a big club. Promise a move in the summer in exchange for a bit of decorum in the interim.

See also Suarez, Ronaldo, etc.

Fantastic player though. In the very unlikely event that we do sneak into the top four, it'll be interesting to see what he decides.

Yeah, I think the 3 of us were pretty sure this is what is happening, and I'm happy with that, he's done his time for us.

By the way, well done Lowe and Prost on this one...

If he was that good he'd be starting every week instead of Wanyama or even Davis. He's a good player but not a top player.

Not sure - Wanyama is extremely good at what he does and Davis plays in a different position. We're not really shopping in the "top player" bracket either are we - not unless we're in the Champs League which isn't going to happen.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Make sure we say it clear here and now so when he is sold next Summer and Dig Dig, Batman, Saint Charlie et al start calling asset strip, we can point them back to this.

Except I didn't call it an asset strip. You were the one who spent a weird amount of time going through the business definitions of an asset strip, as if it even mattered.

I was unhappy about us selling off our best players and glad it stopped at Morgan. I thought it was a huge risk at the time and thought we would struggle to gel and get a strong team togther. Koeman et al have done a very good job on that front according to our early season form but it is interesting to hear from those closer to the situation than we ever will be talking about the same concerns at the time.

Sky have picked up on it....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9507613?

Morgan Schneiderlin has explained the sequence of events that led to him looking to leave Southampton, before eventually staying on.

Having helped to turn the south coast outfit into a top-half Premier League side and earned international recognition with France that took him to the World Cup finals, the highly-rated midfielder admits to having seriously considered his future.

Exit seeds had been sown prior to the summer, before a mass exodus of top talent helped to convince the 24-year-old that the time was right to move on.

"Of course I was angry. I thought: ‘I just played in the World Cup after two good seasons in the Premier League. I never say anything, but I can’t stay in a team that plays for survival. I need to reach a new level’." Southampton, though, stood their ground and made it clear that no further sales would be sanctioned.

Schneiderlin was initially disappointed, leading to him airing his anger in public via Twitter, but he now appreciates the club’s stance and is happy to be part of a squad that has made an impressive start to life under Ronald Koeman.

He told France Football: “Was the meeting with Southampton officials on July 29 tense? Yes.

“In the months building up to it, there was interest from clubs – three clubs and Tottenham were among them.

“Since February/March, my agents and I had talked with Southampton about a possible departure. The club always told me they would sell for the right price.

“My agents and I went to that meeting on July 29 in a peaceful state of mind, with exciting propositions. To me, with my six years at Southampton and everything I had given to the club, everything should have been sorted that day.

“I told them I signed for a project that was supposed to keep the best elements in order to go higher. Before that meeting, (Adam) Lallana, (Dejan) Lovren, (Rickie) Lambert, Luke Shaw and (Calum) Chambers all left. I said to myself: ‘This is not the same situation, this is not possible. What are they doing?’ At that moment, Southampton hadn’t signed anyone.

“Chambers signed for Arsenal the day before our meeting and the club saw the fans getting mad. They thought: ‘If Morgan leaves the stadium will be burnt’. So they told us: ‘Morgan is not for sale, we won’t listen to anything. That is the decision and there is nothing more to say’.

“It was a real shock to me. Of course I was angry. I thought: ‘I just played in the World Cup after two good seasons in the Premier League. I never say anything, but I can’t stay in a team that plays for survival. I need to reach a new level’. So I told them: ‘You don’t respect me and you don’t respect your words, you treat me like cattle’. They defended their interests and I defended mine.

“After I refused to play the friendly against Leverkusen on August 9, the chairman came to speak to me and let me have the weekend to think about things.

“I talked to a lot of people. Some told me to go on strike, that the club will finally give up. My agents never said that, they just told me to make a decision.

“I felt that the officials wouldn’t let me leave, that they would rather leave me on the sidelines for six months. So I resumed training because I really needed to play football again.

“I played against Liverpool at Anfield and all the Southampton fans applauded me and chanted my name. It was so heart-warming. I knew then I would spend the whole season at Southampton.

Maybe now we will achieve something amazing here. Champions League qualification would be fantastic. I hope to play in the Champions League one day, of course. I want to play every three days. But why not play in the Champions League with Southampton?

question, if the club receive a bid for a player, do they have to inform that player they have had a bid for them?

No, not unless the bid is accepted from what I understand but the player inevitably hears about it anyway, (and throws a fit if not informed as Lallana allegedly did).

Edited by farawaysaint

Agree its crazy to possibly lose someone as good as Cork, especially given the Morgan situation. We could end up having to spend large amounts just to get replacements of similar quality.

Interesting to read Morgan's side of events. Glad his professionalism overruled his initial understandable disappointment. Shows how important the fan reaction to the crazy decision to sell Chambers was too. Otherwise we'd have likely done a deal and lost Morgan.