So what happens next summer?

WIGANSAINT

Players will leave you'd have to have your head buried in some pretty deep sand to believe otherwise. You just have to trust the club to get good money and good replacements. Hopefully not as many will go as this summer but it's always going to happen unless by some miracle we get CL football

I think it would be brilliant. I went into last summer thinking that 1 or 2 stars would go but that no club would be stupid enough to flog half their starting 11, especially having failed to convince the manager to stay.

I have to say though, having read all the of the enlightened views on here and the subsequent reports from the club which indicate that everyone was chilled about it all and did it all on our terms, I am perfectly relaxed. We've set a blueprint out for the future. Sell big, buy cheaper but do better. What could possibly go wrong?

Would expect two or three to leave, the bigger question for me is how we replace. If we're being honest withourselves we've hit our glass ceiling so to keep going we need to build a clever and proven scouting team, that'll be what sets us apart from the rest of the pack.

Based on our new credo of financial stability I expect the sale of one, maybe two players for top dollar and European replacements brought in.

Morgan & Clyne are the best bets to leave, J-Rod if the bugger doesn't sign a new contract.

I don't think we'll lose JWP Alps, he's not playing well enough to draw significant interest yet.

CB Fry, Alpine, Crab Lungs, Batman et al. go into crazy meltdown mode, the rest of us give up having reasoned discussions with them, and come back again a few months later and laugh at them. So same as this year then.

Morgan's going to leave obviously. Jrod's i guess dependent on whether he signs a new contract and whether he comes back the same player in January.

Then you've got the likes of Wanyama and Clyne who i'd hope the club would stand firm on.

The main thing i'd say though is that any sale's can only be allowed to go through once Saints have a replacement in place.

We don't want a repeat of appearance of turmoil, where players are leaving & waves of negativity surrounding the club.

If the club want to avoid the turmoil (and surely they have learned some lessons), they will have a contingency list for each potential departure by the end of the season.

Which we probably already do. All interviews with club staff strongly suggest that is the case.

CB Fry, Alpine, Crab Lungs, Batman et al. go into crazy meltdown mode, the rest of us give up having reasoned discussions with them, and come back again a few months later and laugh at them. So same as this year then.

I cannot believe those mentioned (and others) would start the whole process again if we sold for top price before buying.

They must have other interests during a long hot sunny summer (?)

I cannot believe those mentioned (and others) would start the whole process again if we sold for top price before buying.

They must have other interests during a long hot sunny summer (?)

They probably would to be honest. Not me, I'll be outside enjoying the sunshine and the fresh air and wouldn't care in the slightest regarding what is going on at the club.

I think it would be brilliant. I went into last summer thinking that 1 or 2 stars would go but that no club would be stupid enough to flog half their starting 11, especially having failed to convince the manager to stay.

I have to say though, having read all the of the enlightened views on here and the subsequent reports from the club which indicate that everyone was chilled about it all and did it all on our terms, I am perfectly relaxed. We've set a blueprint out for the future. Sell big, buy cheaper but do better. What could possibly go wrong?

Sounds good but eventually the well will dry up. Nowadays every talent in the world is known and followed by many different scouts, a club like Saints has to choose from the leftovers and how good your scouts might be, it's not going to work out every year. You can see it over here in Holland with clubs like Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV, each year the overall level of their game is getting worse (although Feyenoord's game is getting a little better after Koeman and Pelle left) because they are not able to find the right replacements. Off course Saints has more money or is willing to spend more money than these Dutch clubs but it's a tricky path. As most players these days are only interested in money, it migh be a better idea to give your key players a bonus instead of spending your money on replacements you're not certain they will do the job.

Sounds good but eventually the well will dry up. Nowadays every talent in the world is known and followed by many different scouts, a club like Saints has to choose from the leftovers and how good your scouts might be, it's not going to work out every year. You can see it over here in Holland with clubs like Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV, each year the overall level of their game is getting worse (although Feyenoord's game is getting a little better after Koeman and Pelle left) because they are not able to find the right replacements. Off course Saints has more money or is willing to spend more money than these Dutch clubs but it's a tricky path. As most players these days are only interested in money, it migh be a better idea to give your key players a bonus instead of spending your money on replacements you're not certain they will do the job.

Dig Dig I am afraid was being sarcastic.

Morgan + 1 depending on how Jay recovers.

We will have to sell on player for a large fee every year to counteract the FFP regulations.

Usual muppets will cry and stamp their feet but the best players want CL football & the cash that goes with it.

how many players can the top 4 keep buying to give all these wantaways CL football?

CL is an excuse, the real reason they want away is for money, the club and CL follows IMO.

Jrod will not be here,I think we all feel that MS will be gone as well. Wanyama and Clyne will also be on clubs wishlists. Koeman is used to this turnover from his Holland football experience and may well be able to cope. At present all loooks fine and dandy but we have only played 7 games, of which only 2 have been top teams. Lets hope we stay a force for the rest of the season

After what happened in the summer, as long as we keep Koeman I'll be confident of replacing whoever leaves with relative comfort.

If we fail to win anything or qualify for Europe, one would expect Morgan will go, Clyne likewise and possibly Vic. However I can't see it being as dramatic as the summer just gone.

After what happened in the summer, as long as we keep Koeman I'll be confident of replacing whoever leaves with relative comfort.

If we fail to win anything or qualify for Europe, one would expect Morgan will go, Clyne likewise and possibly Vic. However I can't see it being as dramatic as the summer just gone.

In the summer just gone we lost 3 first team regulars (plus Boruc I suppose). You are suggesting the exact same thing will happen next summer? The only difference as far as I can see would be retaining the manager?

The problem with last summer is exactly what Martin Samuel warned about in his much-criticized article. If the Board now thinks that losing starters for really big fees could be part of a sustainable business model for a club of our size and stature (as it has been with academy products), it's only a matter of time before it goes pear-shaped.

While I think they learned a lot from the summer 2014 experience, there are still too many "ifs". If they buy before they sell so that we don't get fleeced and don't lose-out on targets who don't want to join a club in transition, if they continue to scout well and find high-quality, value-for-money players, if the new players bed-in really quickly, if Koeman is willing to stay and start over again with a changed core group (or, because he probably wouldn't, if Koeman is replaced by a manager with similar qualities), if the fans are reasonably accepting of the business model, and so on and so on.

Sure, I've got faith that they have some high-quality, value-for money targets lined up for next summer, but less faith that this year's Houdini act could be repeated if things reached that point again - even less faith that it's a sustainable business model.

On the other hand, though, I do think the Board is smart enough to know this. Krueger's hockey experience here in Edmonton tells him that you can't win with kids alone (no matter how talented), and that you must have a core group of established pro's who stay from year to year.

In the summer just gone we lost 3 first team regulars (plus Boruc I suppose). You are suggesting the exact same thing will happen next summer? The only difference as far as I can see would be retaining the manager?

I would expect more than 3 to go next summer. Boruc, Clyne, Morgan, Jrod, Toby, Bertrand and Cork.

3? I count Lallana, Lambert, Lovren and Shaw as 4, and Chambers pushed Clyne for much of the season too. I can't see us losing that many next summer. In addition, though on a lesser scale, we lost Ramirez, Guly and, as you mention, Boruc. still, After the summer just gone, at least we'll more prepared for whatever happens.

Far too early to make any realistic predictions, everything will depends on where we finish this season and how our "star" players come through it. Some of them could get injured or lose form, that would downgrade their desirability.

This. Unlikley, but we could be in the Championship and that would change everything. Equally we could finish in the top 10 and be seen as pretty established, which might attract players to the club. In the meantime we have played just 7 games and many gruelling months ahead.

If we want Bertrand, we will have him. Noone else will pay the £10m agreed fee IMO.

Alderweireld - although we have agreed 5.6m or whatever it was, i'd be surprised if he didn't end up at a bigger club depending on his season.

Potentially Clyne and JRod will go if we cant sort out contracts

Would expect two or three to leave, the bigger question for me is how we replace. If we're being honest withourselves we've hit our glass ceiling so to keep going we need to build a clever and proven scouting team, that'll be what sets us apart from the rest of the pack.

We already have. Haven't you been reading the Telegraph articles that were published very recently?

Sell sell sell again?

I hear in the press today how wanyamas fav ground is anfield. How jay rod is being linked with spurs and morgan says another 12 months. And what would be your opinion if the same thing happens again?

Who knows what will happen at the end of the season. I see no point in stressing about it now - it won't change anything.

Bloody hell. The bedwetters have no reason to wet the beds now so they are looking ahead to next summer and are starting to dampen mattresses now based on what may or may not happen at the end of the season when this one has barely started. What is wrong with you people???

:mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes:

Me and my meltdowns, eh? What am I like.

Bloody hell. The bedwetters have no reason to wet the beds now so they are looking ahead to next summer and are starting to dampen mattresses now based on what may or may not happen at the end of the season when this one has barely started. What is wrong with you people???

:mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes:

Yes comical. The clocks haven't even gone back yet.

The problem with last summer is exactly what Martin Samuel warned about in his much-criticized article. If the Board now thinks that losing starters for really big fees could be part of a sustainable business model for a club of our size and stature (as it has been with academy products), it's only a matter of time before it goes pear-shaped.

While I think they learned a lot from the summer 2014 experience, there are still too many "ifs". If they buy before they sell so that we don't get fleeced and don't lose-out on targets who don't want to join a club in transition, if they continue to scout well and find high-quality, value-for-money players, if the new players bed-in really quickly, if Koeman is willing to stay and start over again with a changed core group (or, because he probably wouldn't, if Koeman is replaced by a manager with similar qualities), if the fans are reasonably accepting of the business model, and so on and so on.

Sure, I've got faith that they have some high-quality, value-for money targets lined up for next summer, but less faith that this year's Houdini act could be repeated if things reached that point again - even less faith that it's a sustainable business model.

On the other hand, though, I do think the Board is smart enough to know this. Krueger's hockey experience here in Edmonton tells him that you can't win with kids alone (no matter how talented), and that you must have a core group of established pro's who stay from year to year.

Your opinion maybe that it will go pear shaped, but that is just your view not based on the recent evidence.

What we know is selling Lallana, Shaw, Lambert and Lovren provided Forster, Bertrand, Gardos, Toby, Tadic, Mane and Long + plus cash.

Its hard to argue that that wasn't a good window for the club.

Doubt any of us, or the club, would choose to go through the wholesale changes next window, but the evidence is Reid knows what he is doing, gets good prices and identifies cheaper better options.

Why should he be destined to fail next time when proven? He may well fail, hence why we would prefer to keep players, but reckon its more than 50/50 he would do OK for the squad if we do suffer departures.

There is no evidence to suggest that the club would actively try to copy this year's changes in personnel. But if top clubs come in with £25m+ bids, in reality we will lose a couple of players. Such is life and modern football, nothing to really get worried about.

If a club like us is selling a couple of good players each summer then that isn't the worse thing in the world - it means we'll always have a lot of cash to play with and that we are either recruiting well and / or continuing to produce good players via the Academy. It's very hard to continue to replace players I don't ever expect us to be better than we were last season / are thus far this season but if the club is cash rich and comfortable then I suppose under the circumstances it is the best we can hope for.

Your opinion maybe that it will go pear shaped, but that is just your view not based on the recent evidence.

What we know is selling Lallana, Shaw, Lambert and Lovren provided Forster, Bertrand, Gardos, Toby, Tadic, Mane and Long + plus cash.

Its hard to argue that that wasn't a good window for the club.

Doubt any of us, or the club, would choose to go through the wholesale changes next window, but the evidence is Reid knows what he is doing, gets good prices and identifies cheaper better options.

Why should he be destined to fail next time when proven? He may well fail, hence why we would prefer to keep players, but reckon its more than 50/50 he would do OK for the squad if we do suffer departures.

Pretty much everything on here is opinion, isn't it Nick? I'm one of the more positive posters (not in your league, I grant you ;)), and I had much more confidence in the Board during the summer than most. My point is not intended to be "based on the recent evidence " but on the chances of repeating that success as part of a new, sustainable business model. I didn't say that we were "destined to fail next time" but that it's a matter of time before it does fail - before we sign another Ramirez to replace a Tadic or another Forren to replace an Alderweireld or another Osvaldo to replace a Pelle. Don't get me wrong - I think the Board and Koeman have done brilliantly but I'm far from convinced that it's repeatable. Especially while there's a window - because you have little chance of correcting mistakes before a poor first half has turned the season into an ongoing fight.

There is no evidence to suggest that the club would actively try to copy this year's changes in personnel. But if top clubs come in with £25m+ bids, in reality we will lose a couple of players. Such is life and modern football, nothing to really get worried about.

No, there is no evidence to suggest that they're actively looking to copy this summer's machinations - I'm sure they're not. However, this year's experience may provide them with some false comfort that might cause them to not fear key figure departures as much as they should. But then, as I said at the end of my post, Krueger knows all about issues such as these from his NHL experience in Edmonton.

I'm perfectly content to wait until the end of the season, before worrying about what will happen next Summer. If there is a queue of top clubs after several of our players, it will be because they have distinguished themselves. That being so, we will be in a higher league position than last season, so it will be more attractive to our players to stay with us, and we would be a more attractive proposition for any player coming in to replace those who leave.

With luck, the media will not wish to look as stupid as they did this Summer predicting meltdowns and firesales, and our own fans will also be a bit more circumspect about our prospects and a bit more trusting of our board.