Harry puts le tiss above beckham in prem team.

Roger

No brainer. Beckham got more press because he was a poster boy and married a Spice Girl. Redknapp tried to but Suarez for Spurs don't ya know! Redknapp is a football genius (in his own head).

At least he gives Matty credit.

No brainer. Beckham got more press because he was a poster boy and married a Spice Girl.

He was also a bloody good player. A lot seem to play down his talents nowadays, but he really was. Some of the goals and assists he got were amazing.

Plus, he was quality for England, and always worked himself into the ground. Carried the team almost single-handedly for a good few years.

He was also a bloody good player. A lot seem to play down his talents nowadays, but he really was. Some of the goals and assists he got were amazing.

Plus, he was quality for England, and always worked himself into the ground. Carried the team almost single-handedly for a good few years.

Didn't have the talent Matty had IMO .

As you can tell, I am not a great Beckham fan and I don't agree that he carried England. He was part of the golden generation that failed to deliver. He was a good player no doubt, but often over hyped I think. I'd have Scholes before him any day and Le Tiss (and that is not down to a Saints bias).

Didn't have the talent Matty had IMO .

Possibly, I'm not saying Beckham was necessarily better or more talented. I just don't get this revisionist stuff about Beckham not being all that good. He was a very good player.

As you can tell, I am not a great Beckham fan and I don't agree that he carried England. He was part of the golden generation that failed to deliver. He was a good player no doubt, but often over hyped I think. I'd have Scholes before him any day and Le Tiss (and that is not down to a Saints bias).

I don't really understand why it would be a decision between Beckham, Scholes & MLT. Becks was a right-winger, MLT & Scholes were more central players.

2000-2004 England didn't really play unless Becks did. He was a brilliant captain for England, I'd say the best in the time I've been watching (96ish onwards for reference).

Amazing team, can't disagree with any of his selections.

I know that 'Arry blotted his copybook during his time with us, but how much was was the ruddy faced duck-hunter and his rugby union mate to blame?

At least he is a real football person who loves the game and knows it inside out.

My best mate at Uni used to stand in the chicken-run and 'Arry was his favourite among that very good team.

I know that 'Arry blotted his copybook during his time with us, but how much was was the ruddy faced duck-hunter and his rugby union mate to blame?

At least he is a real football person who loves the game and knows it inside out.

My best mate at Uni used to stand in the chicken-run and 'Arry was his favourite among that very good team.

I think you will find it was more down to 'Arry (who famously said he didn't know what he was doing here) than Lowe or Woodward. In 'Arry's book he said he didn't have a problem with Woodward. When 'Arry takes QPR down again this season he will have more failures than successes.

Would've been interesting to see how Matt would've fared in modern formations... the 4-2-3-1 we play now could've been ideal for him as the central player of the supporting 3 behind the main striker. And with England playing similarly, I wonder if things may have been different.

Beckham was a brilliant player in his position

probably the best in the world in the slot in his pomp

He also cared deeply about playing for England, which is a bonus these days

as for MLT. one of the greatest travesties in football in my lifetime was how few caps he got. when you compare players like carlton Palmer and stuart ripley at the time.

Had Le Tis been in his pomp today, he would easily be a £50m player....that would be the starting price.

for the younger lads...all the top clubs at the time wanted matty (including fergie at united) but he never left. despite being a signature away from going to chelsea one time.

Remember when newcastle first came up to the prem, their fans adored Le tiss (many did) and sang songs about him (in a good way)

Matty was also a folk hero on Fantasy Football with skinner and badiel. Even had his own video called 'unvelievable'....yet, despite being one of the most naturally gifted players ever, an idol for a young xavi...he got about 7 caps for england.......james milner has 50

Edited by Batman

Matt Le Tiss is one of England's most gifted ever players for me - kind of player that just made you want to watch football.

Agree with posters on Becks who question why people tend to look back and belittle him as a player. Incredible set piece delivery, crossing ability as good as anything I've seen and a great work rate. His England performance against Greece was probably one of the most inspirational individual displays any England player has produced in the last 20 years, not just for the freekick.

People also forget his role in some of United's biggest moments - two great deliveries in the Champions league final, screamer against Spurs to equalise in the last game of one season and help them win the league (i think, slightly hazy memory), goal in the Giggs FA Cup semi vs Arsenal to name a few.

But if you only had the choice of one in your time, Le Tiss all the way. Undeniable football genius

Beckhams. Top ten vs MLTs top ten?

Beckham was a brilliant player in his position

probably the best in the world in the slot in his pomp

He also cared deeply about playing for England, which is a bonus these days

as for MLT. one of the greatest travesties in football in my lifetime was how few caps he got. when you compare players like carlton Palmer and stuart ripley at the time.

Had Le Tis been in his pomp today, he would easily be a £50m player....that would be the starting price.

for the younger lads...all the top clubs at the time wanted matty (including fergie at united) but he never left. despite being a signature away from going to chelsea one time.

Remember when newcastle first came up to the prem, their fans adored Le tiss (many did) and sang songs about him (in a good way)

Matty was also a folk hero on Fantasy Football with skinner and badiel. Even had his own video called 'unvelievable'....yet, despite being one of the most naturally gifted players ever, an idol for a young xavi...he got about 7 caps for england.......james milner has 50

Absolute travesty how he was over looked time and time again. In his era I'd like to know who was better than our Matty. I can't think of any other Englishmen

Anyone my age group (30ish) would've grown up with Matty as their hero. I moved up to London at 20 and worked/ lived there for 10 years, in that time I worked with proper supporters of dozens of clubs ranging in size. I would say that on the first football chat I had with each one, when I mentioned I was a Saints fan 75% of them would instantly smile and say "ahh, Le Tissier, what a player he was.." and proceed to talk about him.

The bloke is/ was universally admired and respected by fans of 91 league clubs (skates aside). A true legend and his cap tally an insult to him and our country.

This is the thing though. I don't see people trying to belittle him, just to put him into some kind of perspective. Ferguson is no mug.

In his pomp Beckham's long passing and crossing was off the scale as was his work rate. Fergie got rid because of his showbiz wife, nothing to do with his football.

He also gave nothing short of 100% every time he pulled on an England shirt.

Anyone my age group (30ish) would've grown up with Matty as their hero. I moved up to London at 20 and worked/ lived there for 10 years, in that time I worked with proper supporters of dozens of clubs ranging in size. I would say that on the first football chat I had with each one, when I mentioned I was a Saints fan 75% of them would instantly smile and say "ahh, Le Tissier, what a player he was.." and proceed to talk about him.

The bloke is/ was universally admired and respected by fans of 91 league clubs (skates aside). A true legend and his cap tally an insult to him and our country.

Totally and utterly agree.

In his pomp Beckham's long passing and crossing was off the scale as was his work rate. Fergie got rid because of his showbiz wife, nothing to do with his football.

He also gave nothing short of 100% every time he pulled on an England shirt.

Showbiz life rather than showbiz wife. He became a "brand" quite early on. As I said before, he clearly was a good player. To try and say he was one of Englands best players ever is stretching things more than a little. I know that Gerrard is as popular as the Black Death on here but his crossfield passing is also superb. I could name plenty of other players with an awesome workrate.

Showbiz life rather than showbiz wife. He became a "brand" quite early on. As I said before, he clearly was a good player. To try and say he was one of Englands best players ever is stretching things more than a little. I know that Gerrard is as popular as the Black Death on here but his crossfield passing is also superb. I could name plenty of other players with an awesome workrate.

Sorry if I missed it, but who has said that? I said he carried the team for a few years, I stand by that. There were times when he pretty much dragged the England team by the scruff of the neck. Ahem (this incidentally is one of my favourite moments of watching football, I was 12 and absolutely lost it):

Look, in the interest of fairness I'm going to (unashamedly) hold my hands up and say I'm a huge Beckham fan. Always was, always will be. I don't see why the fact he became a brand diminishes his talents on the pitch. If anything I'd argue it helps debunk another criticism of him, that's he's a brain dead moron. He's not done bad for a total thicko, has he?

He was a bloody good player, not the best true. But his passing, crossing and set-pieces were world class, far above Gerrard's.

I am not saying that becoming a brand diminished his talent, although Ferguson might have something to say about it. Perhaps it is a generational thing. At 60 I have seen many good players come and go. Beckham is one of them but IMHO I thought Bryan Robson was better. Gerrard's goal scoring record passing and set pieces are also quality and in his prime I would say World Class.

Sorry if I missed it, but who has said that? I said he carried the team for a few years, I stand by that. There were times when he pretty much dragged the England team by the scruff of the neck. Ahem (this incidentally is one of my favourite moments of watching football, I was 12 and absolutely lost it):

Look, in the interest of fairness I'm going to (unashamedly) hold my hands up and say I'm a huge Beckham fan. Always was, always will be. I don't see why the fact he became a brand diminishes his talents on the pitch. If anything I'd argue it helps debunk another criticism of him, that's he's a brain dead moron. He's not done bad for a total thicko, has he?

He was a bloody good player, not the best true. But his passing, crossing and set-pieces were world class, far above Gerrard's.

I was on he upper tier of the Stretford when that went in with Corky Morris. Place went utterly, utterly mental.

Best individual performance I've see for any English player. He simply refused to lose.

You'll never hear a bad work about Beckham from the regular followers of England.

Former England winger Chris Waddle says David Beckham is not one of the top 1,000 players of the last 40 years.

The ex-Manchester United midfielder is retiring at the end of the season.

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle, 52, told BBC Radio 5 live.

"You can go down a list of players from the Premier League or the 70s or 80s, whatever you want to do. I'll be honest, Beckham probably wouldn't be in the first 1,000."

Beckham v Waddle

Chris Waddle

Beckham Waddle

England caps

Major English trophies

Major European trophies

League titles

Beckham, 38, who signed a five-month deal at Paris St-Germain in January, joined Manchester United as a trainee in 1991, making his first-team debut the following year and signing his first professional contract in 1993.

He went on to make 394 appearances for United, winning six Premier League titles and the Champions League, and 115 for England.

"I think there have been a lot more talented players in the world. But he made the most of what he has got," said Waddle, who made more 100 appearances for four of his clubs - Newcastle, Tottenham, Marseille and Sheffield Wednesday - while winning 62 England caps.

"He has got a terrific image and used it very well. He never had a trick, wasn't particularly quick, but he was very good at set-pieces and deliveries, he made chances and made goals and was fantastic for clubs.

"He said the right things, he sold shirts, he put money in the tills wherever he went and conducted himself well."

Beckham became one of the world's most high-profile sportsmen during his time at Old Trafford - and a global celebrity following his marriage to Spice Girl Victoria Adams in 1999.

He signed for Real Madrid in 2003 and won a La Liga title in 2007 before switching to the United States with Los Angeles Galaxy. He also spent time on loan at AC Milan.

"As a player I would say he was a fantastic crosser of the ball, a great athlete," said Waddle. "Now people will be talking about him and saying 'How great, how great'. I would say 'how good'.

"I would not say he was a great. He was very good at his job, he worked very hard as a professional footballer."

Manchester United manager-in-waiting David Moyes, preparing to lead Everton for the final time, has added to the tributes paid to Beckham since his announcement on Thursday.

"He's been a great player, a tremendous ambassador. I think everyone who is English is tremendously proud of what David Beckham has done over the years and how he has conducted himself," said the Scot.

"I was very fortunate to play with David when he came to Preston North End, he was a great lad then, very humble and really just wanted to play.

"Everybody who was part of that team [at Preston] still remembers him and still wants to talk about how they played in a team with David Beckham. I'm no different."

Carlo Ancelotti, Beckham's current manager at PSG, said: "The football world lost a fantastic player, lost a fantastic professional, lost a good man. It's the right decision because he decided to stop and not other people [telling him to stop].

"We have to respect his decision.

"It's not my business to find a role for David. He's going to speak with the club and if they decide to give him a new position, it is up to David and the club."

Beckham trained with Arsenal in January, and when asked if he was interested in signing Beckham, Gunners boss Arsene Wenger said: "Yes, I was. It was at a period when I couldn't afford him. And after that there was a question mark before he went to Milan, but it was a position we didn't really need.

"It was always a pleasure to have him here because of his attitude and behaviour. He gained respect from everybody.

"No matter how strong a player he is, what remains in your memory is his genuine commitment and dedication and the natural humility which he always had. That will stay forever."

QPR manager Harry Redknapp was in charge at Tottenham when Beckham trained with Spurs in 2011. He said: "He was down to earth, everybody loved him, he treated everybody with great respect and he had time for everyone. He's had a fantastic career and is an absolute top-class fella.

"He's been a great role model for any young footballer."

It is all about opinions and that is Waddle's. You have yours. Would you put Beckham in the England team instead of Le Tiss? I don't think I would.

They played in totally different positions.

As I said earlier, ask any fan who went home and away with England when Beckham played and you'll never hear anything but praise because we knew he cared about playing for his country and it showed.

Beckham was a great player and so was MLT of course. The difference between the 2 was that Matt was a tad laid-back and could often go missing on a cold afternoon up North. He was overweight but a great crowd pleaser and a crowd puller, but the lack of England caps is really down to his lack of dedication and ambition. But we love him for it. If you compare him to Mick Channon then you can see why Mick got the number of caps that he did and why he was injury free throughout his very long career.

Both brilliant, just in very different ways. I think the reason MLT didn't get as many caps as he should have was the perception of his character and the managers of the time preferring Teddy Sheringham. I mean, even our very own Ian Branfoot wouldn't give him a game! Beckham though was the best at what he did. Waddle's assessment that he didn't have a trick is very misleading, he didn't need one because as long as he had enough space to deliver the ball, that is what he did, both consistently and he was the best in the world at it. You don't play and be successful at the clubs he did if you're ****e!

Haha, it would be 20 cracking goals that's for sure.

Not even close to the quality of mattys.