GUARDIAN: Sadio Mané leading the golden generation of Senegal

Saint-Armstrong

Once he gets settled, both personally and also in the team and used to the players around him, I reckon he will be class. Has everything to be a really dangerous player, and certainly one you wouldn't like to face as a defender.

Real astute signing.

Articel says he might not be at Saints long, and if we sell him in a couple of seasons surely it will be for mega money so win, win all-round.

Oh great!

"I’m sure he will not spend too long at Southampton because there are lots of clubs in Europe who would like to buy him. When Sadio went to Metz, I said he wouldn’t spend very long with them and it was the same when he went to Red Bull. He has the talent to play in the Champions League"

You started off so well Charlie but then you had to go and spoil it all with the might not be at Saints long comment. I know it was in the article but why home in on the only negative thing? He will be here as long as he is here. Let's enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

"Today we talk about Messi and Neymar but honestly I don’t think these players are as good as Sadio Mané."

:)

Unfortunately, if that ever does happen, he'd be gone long before he reached near that level! Mega-Mega money for us though, if that happens!

Very tidy player though, really believe he reads the game well and his movement is electric.

I thought he was the best player on the pitch vs QPR. Fantastic pace, movement, and awareness of those around him. Incredible vision for that back-heel to Bertrand. That 'sitter' against Spurs wasn't as bad as first made out either - an issue of adjusting his feet in time to a ball being played across his body at pace, rather than evidence of terrible accuracy (personally thought Wanyama's tame short at Lloris was worse, though granted, he isn't exactly renowbed for his shooting ability). Does need to cut the diving out of his game though.

Oh great!

"I’m sure he will not spend too long at Southampton because there are lots of clubs in Europe who would like to buy him. When Sadio went to Metz, I said he wouldn’t spend very long with them and it was the same when he went to Red Bull. He has the talent to play in the Champions League"

Usual bs - little saints too small for top players.

Unfortunately there are only a handful of clubs who consistently pay high transfer fees and salaries, and as Cabaye is finding out at PSG, a move to a "big" glitzy club may make you a fortune but it doesn't guarantee that you play every week. Similarly half the Man City squad whose salries must dwarf avery saints player, only get occassional run outs.

Usual bs - little saints too small for top players.

Unfortunately there are only a handful of clubs who consistently pay high transfer fees and salaries, and as Cabaye is finding out at PSG, a move to a "big" glitzy club may make you a fortune but it doesn't guarantee that you play every week. Similarly half the Man City squad whose salries must dwarf avery saints player, only get occassional run outs.

As I've said many times before in the global footballing world we are perceived as minnows for whom any respectable player is too good. Anyway African football pundits are universally known for their jingoistic tub thumping in favour of their personal favourites...look at Mayuka..was supposed to be one of the worlds top 100 players, no doubt put there by african pundits with very limited vision..when Mané stops trying to be too personal and stops rolling about on the deck if someone breathes on him that will be an advance.

The article mentioned somebody in their academy who was even better than Mane. Why don't we sign him to our academy?

But the two things that rankle in the article are the mention that he went on strike to get his move away from Salzburg and that he isn't expected to stay here very long. Of course, if he is a great success here, only then will there be the demand for his services from other top clubs, but under those circumstances the more interest he generates, the higher will be the profit we make on him.

As I've said many times before in the global footballing world we are perceived as minnows for whom any respectable player is too good.

Seriously, given the money available to clubs in the PL, can any PL team be thought of as minnows for which any respectable player is too good? You might be closer to the mark with the tub thumping. Anyway, if he carries on diving, like his compatriot Diouf, he's welcome to leave.

Seriously, given the money available to clubs in the PL, can any PL team be thought of as minnows for which any respectable player is too good? You might be closer to the mark with the tub thumping. Anyway, if he carries on diving, like his compatriot Diouf, he's welcome to leave.

No but seriously, there was a discussion on L'Equipe TV the other day where one of the pundits said that Morgan "was only playing for Southampton" and should be replaced by Kondogbia who was playing for a far better club viz the laughable Monaco, being second or third in the PL at this moment in time means nothing to these insular pundits, good player=big club, ie not Stoke or Saints or Wapping Town. Cabaye being just a bit part player at PSG is considered far better than being a 35 game a seasoner at Newcastle, some of these people are really blinkered. Why doesn't Shawcross ever get an England call up? Must be a better CB than Stones or Chambers tbh, probably because he plays for Stoke.

The article mentioned somebody in their academy who was even better than Mane. Why don't we sign him to our academy?

But the two things that rankle in the article are the mention that he went on strike to get his move away from Salzburg and that he isn't expected to stay here very long. Of course, if he is a great success here, only then will there be the demand for his services from other top clubs, but under those circumstances the more interest he generates, the higher will be the profit we make on him.

Did he really go on strike to get his move here? I think this is the first we have heard of this, which seems odd if its true

Did he really go on strike to get his move here? I think this is the first we have heard of this, which seems odd if its true

I thought it was talked about at the time, though Mané played it down a bit as a misunderstanding ..... But then so did Lallana!

You started off so well Charlie but then you had to go and spoil it all with the might not be at Saints long comment. I know it was in the article but why home in on the only negative thing? He will be here as long as he is here. Let's enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

I know you don't like my posts much but re read it and then comment again if you think it was negative. :rolleyes:

My Post:

Once he gets settled, both personally and also in the team and used to the players around him, I reckon he will be class. Has everything to be a really dangerous player, and certainly one you wouldn't like to face as a defender.

Real astute signing.

Articel says he might not be at Saints long, and if we sell him in a couple of seasons surely it will be for mega money so win, win all-round.

I am pretty sure he would not get a work permit--if he is old enough and it would violate other rules if he is too young.

Just been watching Central Coast Mariners vs Newcastle here in even minnower Oz. His name sake and compatriot Malick Mane seemed to playing a similar energetic and threatening style, though didn't see any diving. He looks more strongly built, but almost as fast - difficult to tell. I do wonder whether the A-league is a bit underrated from a scouting point of view.

It's sometimes crap, but Melbourne Victory had 30K for their first game (featuring Besart Berisha, who seems to have failed at Burnley) - 90K showed up for Liverpool last year.

I wonder how these Senegalese players grew up. whether they were privileged and whether there is a coaching style there which encourages attacking play.

Anyway - David Villa has come on for Man City franchise Melbourne City (previously Heart until bought by the Sheikh - think on that Hull fans!). They go a goal down to Sydney, who are playing in the Man city home kit, whereas Melbourne City ('MCFC') are in red and white stripes. I'm confused, but it was a great strike!

No but seriously, there was a discussion on L'Equipe TV the other day where one of the pundits said that Morgan "was only playing for Southampton" and should be replaced by Kondogbia who was playing for a far better club viz the laughable Monaco, being second or third in the PL at this moment in time means nothing to these insular pundits, good player=big club, ie not Stoke or Saints or Wapping Town. Cabaye being just a bit part player at PSG is considered far better than being a 35 game a seasoner at Newcastle, some of these people are really blinkered. Why doesn't Shawcross ever get an England call up? Must be a better CB than Stones or Chambers tbh, probably because he plays for Stoke.

Hit the nail on the head there.

The FA and England team are so FU'd