Visiting England

Saint_Abroad

I've visited London and Southampton many a time so on my next excursion I'd like to venture farther out of the capital. Any recommendations on where to go? I've perused TripAdvisor and the guidebooks but I'm interested to see what you recommend. I'd have 3-5 days dedicated to venturing outside the capital and enjoy places with lots of history. I've been to Bath and Dover. Is York or the Lake District recommended? Again, interested to see what you recommend, outside of the guidebooks.

Thanks

As an expat the places I love to go to in the UK, except Hampshire to visit family, are the Lake District and the Lizard in Cornwall. Both beautiful places, if you enjoy amazing scenery and great walks, you can't beat the lakes. Haven't done York, but I've heard it's nice.

Lake District is awesome - cracking pubs up there as well. Cornwall coastline is superb. South Coast Way is a great walk from Weymouth through West Bay and again pubs are good (and it's near Southampton to catch a game). North Wales is like being in Lord of the Rings

Simple really, just DON'T go to Pompey. Everywhere else is pretty much fine (though maybe best to avoid Middlesbrough too, just to be safe). ;)

Stonehenge sounds like a goer though, no?

Thanks everyone.

I've done Bath/Stonehenge before. I was looking at heading North (or West) as I haven't been that far from London and wanted to see more of England, possibly Wales and probably don't have enough time for Scotland. York seems to checks a lot of boxes on paper and the Lake District looks great. My only hesitation about the Lake District is having to use a car. I'm guessing that's the only way to really get around up there?

Essentially, towns with lots of history, whether that be Tudor or Medieval buildings and streets, coupled with good old pubs and I should be happy.

I'd be there in May, so weather should be good.

If you want to do the North and dont have a car base yourself in York and take a coach side trip out to the Yorkshire Dales. http://travelcentre.eddiebrowntours.com/ York has got history in spades, the walls, the shambles, National railway museum, Jorvik.

Cambridge is also great - get a guided tour of the colleges, punt on the river. Listening to the Kings College choir can be magical.

Edited by buctootim

Go to Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, a must visit in my opinion, just do a drive by of Stonehenge

No. You need to stop and get as close to Stonehenge as you can. When I was a kid in the 60s, you could get right up to the stones. Now you can only walk around them on a circular path.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Depends on what you want.

York is a very nice place. I'd happily live there. Beverly, just down the road, is also great.

If you want quintessential English countryside, quiet villages and quiet roads then Shropshire, especially to the south of the Seven is perfect.

Want a proper northern city which also has lots of culture then Manchester it is, which also means you can visit Liverpool which, whilst not as good as Manchester, is still worth a visit.

All great stuff, thanks.

If you want to do the North and dont have a car base yourself in York and take a coach side trip out to the Yorkshire Dales. http://travelcentre.eddiebrowntours.com/ York has got history in spades, the walls, the shambles, National railway museum, Jorvik.

Cambridge is also great - get a guided tour of the colleges, punt on the river. Listening to the Kings College choir can be magical.

After your suggestion buctootim, namely the dales, I stumbled across some castles up that way (Skipton and Bolton). I may use that as inspiration to bounce around up there.

Is a car the only way to see the Lake District?

No. You need to stop and get as close to Stonehenge as you can. When I was a kid in the 60s, you could get right up to the stones. Now you can only walk around them on a circular path.
if you want to look at some stones then fine, i drive past it at least twice a week and it does nothing for me. The other day there were 2 middle aged people sitting on the hardshoulder of the A303 crosslegged with their eyes closed and trying to get something spiritual from it.Lucky they didnt get a juggernaught take them out!

if you want to look at some stones then fine, i drive past it at least twice a week and it does nothing for me. The other day there were 2 middle aged people sitting on the hardshoulder of the A303 crosslegged with their eyes closed and trying to get something spiritual from it.Lucky they didnt get a juggernaught take them out!

Ive never understood the attraction of Stonehenge either, its not that impressive. If you want to see ancient monuments go to Skara Brae or Jarlshof in the Shetlands and Orkneys which were built 1,000 years before Stonehenge. If you want stone circles without the traffic and tourists go to Avebury ring. West Kennet Long Barrow near Stonehenge is worth a visit.

Its worth checking out the series of documentaries 'Standing with Stones' on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=standing+with+stones

Edited by buctootim

History is a big topic, but for the medieval stuff nobody has mentioned Stratford on Avon / Warwick Castle yet. And you can fit in a quick view of the twin Cathedrals in Coventry for something a bit more up to date.

Stratford-upon-Avon is one of my favourite places. Certainly didn't hurt that we travelled there by narrowboat.

All great stuff, thanks.

After your suggestion buctootim, namely the dales, I stumbled across some castles up that way (Skipton and Bolton). I may use that as inspiration to bounce around up there.

Is a car the only way to see the Lake District?

I think you'll have a good time in York. The Lake District is best for walking and scenery. Theres a guide to car free visiting here http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/visiting/car-free-guides/lake-district

I'll add my voice to those championing York. Although a Southerner born and bred, York is the most impressive northern city I've visited for things to see, picturesque streets and pubs.

Undervalued by a lot of people, though, is East Sussex.

You have the impressive South Downs, the coastal towns which include Rye, which is as picturesque as anywhere you'll see, and Romney Marsh, which is a bleakly beautiful place in winter.

York is well worth a visit if you haven't been, although know in advance that it's a tourist Mecca. If you want typical English, you'll be disappointed. If you want to chat up foreigners, it's ace.

Spent Christmas 2012 in Ambleside, up in the Lakes. Had great weather for the time of year. Very mild. Pricey though; even self-catering - take essentials with you. The biggest shopping area if you forget is probably Kendal. Beautiful part of the country that anyone fit will enjoy. The walks were fantastic.

I have already mentioned Stratford, which is very impressive. I love my adopted city of Liverpool and am entirely unsurprised at its inclusion near the to top of Rough Guides best cities lists. Architecture is probably the best outside London. Nightlife has been great for 50 years. Sort of city that pulls your pants down and gives you a pleasant seeing to.

York is well worth a visit if you haven't been, although know in advance that it's a tourist Mecca. If you want typical English, you'll be disappointed. If you want to chat up foreigners, it's ace.

Spent Christmas 2012 in Ambleside, up in the Lakes. Had great weather for the time of year. Very mild. Pricey though; even self-catering - take essentials with you. The biggest shopping area if you forget is probably Kendal. Beautiful part of the country that anyone fit will enjoy. The walks were fantastic.

I have already mentioned Stratford, which is very impressive. I love my adopted city of Liverpool and am entirely unsurprised at its inclusion near the to top of Rough Guides best cities lists. Architecture is probably the best outside London. Nightlife has been great for 50 years. Sort of city that pulls your pants down and gives you a pleasant seeing to.

York is still very much typically English. Probably one of the best cities for fitting the expectation of a typical English city to the average tourist, whilst at the same time being a bustling, working, place to live for ordinary people.

You have the impressive South Downs, the coastal towns which include Rye, which is as picturesque as anywhere you'll see, and Romney Marsh, which is a bleakly beautiful place in winter.

Lewes is a pretty nice spot, some good pubs there, easy access to Brighton/London.

York seems to be winning out but the trip is far enough away that it could change. The suggestions have lead me to research places I wouldn't normally have come across, which is what I'm after. I don't just want to hit the big touristy spots and I get pap's sentiments about York. One of the reasons I never stay long in Dublin is because I find myself drinking with more Americans than Irish.

I'm looking at the logistics now of hitting York and spots among the Dales. Definitely going to work in the Settle-Carlisle line but may have to get a car for the Lake District as I make my west along that part of England. As long as I can make it back down to Southampton for the match against Aston Villa, I'll be fine.

Appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming.

Ha! When I first saw your post, I looked up public transport in the Lake District, as I've never used it (despite going there several times):

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/planyourvisit/travelandtransport

I would recommend Was****er on account of it being relatively quiet - don't know if the busses go there. - blimey - W a s t w a t e r

What prompted me to reply was the Villa away game last season was my big 'event' after travelling from Oz - a turgid 0-0 non event - hope it goes better for you! Where abouts abroad are you anyway?

Ha! When I first saw your post, I looked up public transport in the Lake District, as I've never used it (despite going there several times):

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/planyourvisit/travelandtransport

I would recommend Was****er on account of it being relatively quiet - don't know if the busses go there. - blimey - W a s t w a t e r

What prompted me to reply was the Villa away game last season was my big 'event' after travelling from Oz - a turgid 0-0 non event - hope it goes better for you! Where abouts abroad are you anyway?

I'm based out of the US state of Delaware. Hence why I questioned the need for a car in the Lake District. I've driven on the left side of the road before and will do it again in Ireland on this trip but it takes 2 people to drive. Me in the driver's seat and the other in my ear constantly saying "stay left, look right," at least at circles. I don't want to endanger the fair people of Cumbria.

I hope I see some goals too. For each of the two past seasons I've seen Southampton play Everton at St Mary's. It wasn't on purpose, just worked out that way. Out of those 180 minutes of play I've yet to see Southampton score a goal. 2013 was a 0-0 draw and last season was a 2-0 win but Everton scored 2 own goals. I'm hoping this season I'll get to see a Southampton goal, preferably many of them.

Ive never understood the attraction of Stonehenge either, its not that impressive. If you want to see ancient monuments go to Skara Brae or Jarlshof in the Shetlands and Orkneys which were built 1,000 years before Stonehenge. If you want stone circles without the traffic and tourists go to Avebury ring. West Kennet Long Barrow near Stonehenge is worth a visit.

Its worth checking out the series of documentaries 'Standing with Stones' on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=standing+with+stones

I've been lucky enough to get amongst the stones at Stonehenge. You can pre-book an after hours visit for when all the other visitors have gone home - no idea how often and numbers are very limited. Gives you a totally different "feel" for them than simply gawping at them from behind the rope. Woe betide anyone who touches them though, I absent-mindedly leant against one whilst taking a photo and you'd think I was attempting to steal the crown jewels from the reaction of security.

Agree with you about Avebury Ring and the West Kennet Long Barrow, along with the nearby Silbury Hill. Despite being less well known far more interesting - and accessible - than Stonehenge.

I'll add my voice to those championing York. Although a Southerner born and bred, York is the most impressive northern city I've visited for things to see, picturesque streets and pubs.

Rye is awesome and I spend a lot of time there. Lovely town and close to Battle if you like history (they do a re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings every October). Also not far frpm Canterbury which is also worth a visit. I live on the edge of the Marsh and it is a very interesting place. Lots of smuggling history. As you say it has a beautiful look about it in winter.

I've been lucky enough to get amongst the stones at Stonehenge. You can pre-book an after hours visit for when all the other visitors have gone home - no idea how often and numbers are very limited. Gives you a totally different "feel" for them than simply gawping at them from behind the rope. Woe betide anyone who touches them though, I absent-mindedly leant against one whilst taking a photo and you'd think I was attempting to steal the crown jewels from the reaction of security.

Meh, I've peed on them. The Wallies snuck me and some mates through the barbed wire one night after a Tangerine Dream concert in Salisbury. (Yes it was early 70's)

I'd deffo go to the lakes though if I were on a vacation to the north. Have a good time Saint Abroad!

Agree with you about Avebury Ring and the West Kennet Long Barrow, along with the nearby Silbury Hill. Despite being less well known far more interesting - and accessible - than Stonehenge.

When I was a kid I. The 50s they were just stones in a field. You could climb over the fence and be the only person there. I've climbed all over the stones but always treated them with respect. There is something special about the place but it's spoiled by all the visitors.

There is something special about the place but it's spoiled by all the visitors.

But without anyone visiting, how would anyone know it was special?......Tree, falling, forest, sound, etc.

BTW, if a tree falls in a forest without anyone to hear, it still moves molecules and produces all the functions necessary to be heard, so technically, yes.... Philosophically, 42

Whilst Wolves is an utter shiite hole the Black Country Living Museum, where they film Peaky Blinders, is well worth a visit.

Wow, that's coincidental. We just got it in the States about a week ago. Not 2 hours ago I started watching the first episode and I'm running through the first season as we speak.

In all seriousness, if someone is visiting England wants to see the "real" country, going to places like Coventry, Swindon, Wolves, Derby etc will give a much better representation of every day life, than the usual popular tourist trails of London, Bath, Brighton and Cambridge etc etc.

As a resident of Yorkshire and an adopted yorkshire man I can confirm everything is true about Yorkshire and it is indeed the greatest place on earth. A place that has everything. the charming seaside towns of Filey is a must visit, its easy to see why families from as far afield as Hull take a day trip there.

Bradford is a fascinating place, a fantastic example of multiculturalism being alive and well in Britain, a place steeped in history with a nod back to the industrial ages where this proud city was the centre of industry and commerce. The local council have cleverly left many of the old monuments, like the many textiles factories, in their original structure so that the rich history of this town is never forgotten. Its no surprise so many immigrants choosing to settle in this town and they have been welcomed with open arms by the friendly locals where the local joke is the county they describe as 'gods country' is known locally as 'Mohammed's country'. With over half the town now made up from immigrants its testament to the friendliness of the people that they are able to settle and build a life here.

For a true taste of real England though I can throughly recommend a trip to Selby. A place time seems to have forgotten, a place where the locals are proud of their heritage and identity. You'll have no problem sampling fine English cuisine here, there is row upon row of food outlets serving up everything from pea fritters and kebabs to deep fried chicken and chips and one look at the average local shows just how popular and delicious they are, it appears they can't get enough! You'll see plenty of traditional English dress here, the locals usually decked out head to toe in it and should you wish to take back 'a Selby burqa' (tracksuit) to remember your time here the locals favourite shop, JJB sports has them at good prices, from the main manufacturers of these garments such as Lonsdale and reebok. Saturday afternoons is a good time to visit which I understand is their la bella figura where the locals parade around in their finery for the rest of Selby to see and engage in a Selby tradition of bottling. A practice which has gone on in Selby every Saturday night for over 100 years. You can see this free of charge in the Wetherspoons on the high street

Ive only mentioned 3 places but there are many, many more like them. You could do other things like visit barnsley and see the site of the famous miners battles of the 80s or take a trip to the hussle and bustle of Leeds, a place that wishes it was manchester and is evidence of what trying hard but failing looks like. Yes, Yorkshire truly has it all.

Edited by Turkish

By 'eck Turkish, spoken from the heart. As a former inmate - I mean resident - of the cosmopolitan megalopolis of Elland, nestled between the twin jewels of Halifax and Huddersfield, I can only endorse your glowing eulogy to god's own frikkin country. An you're welcome - you really are welcome to it.

Honestly, the countryside there is magnificent, but it is full of so many arrogant, self righteous nob ends who assume you share their casual racism, I'm glad to be out of there. Mind, you probably fit in just fine! ;-)

By 'eck Turkish, spoken from the heart. As a former inmate - I mean resident - of the cosmopolitan megalopolis of Elland, nestled between the twin jewels of Halifax and Huddersfield, I can only endorse your glowing eulogy to god's own frikkin country. An you're welcome - you really are welcome to it.

Honestly, the countryside there is magnificent, but it is full of so many arrogant, self righteous nob ends who assume you share their casual racism, I'm glad to be out of there. Mind, you probably fit in just fine! ;-)

The key to being successful in business is to adapt our approach to fit the customer. Hence why in my Personal life these days you can find me supping ale, boasting about how hard I am and how much I can drink, whilst cracking Bernard manning jokes.

Edited by Turkish

York is a good shout and I like the idea of the Malham area – beautiful countryside, plus I had my first ever experience of Old Peculiar in the Buck Inn at Malham.

How about Oxford? Not exactly a typical English city and too many students and tourists for some, perhaps; nevertheless, some beautiful old architecture; good museums, art galleries and places of historical interest; some very decent pubs and restaurants; great if you’re a fan of Morse, Lewis and Endeavour; and handily placed for visits to the Cotswolds or to places such as Blenheim Palace.