Why no Saints women team?

whelk

How come we don't have an affiliated team? There is a saints woman's team I'm sure as someone I work with plays but not linked to club. They sound skint as well so wondered why we don't seem to want to be affiliated. Surely an area that must appeal to the new board and getting more coverage these days as well

How come we don't have an affiliated team? There is a saints woman's team I'm sure as someone I work with plays but not linked to club. They sound skint as well so wondered why we don't seem to want to be affiliated. Surely an area that must appeal to the new board and getting more coverage these days as well
Why should the club subsidise Sunday League level football?

Southampton Saints Girls & Ladies FC ... My daughter plays for them. They wear the Saints strip including the club badge as they were previously linked to the Club but were set adrift back in the days when we were struggling financially.

Whelk, you'll be glad to know that the proposed extension to the Staplewood main building includes female toilets and changing facilities specifically for the use of (as stated in the propsal document, paragraph 3.3.1) SFC girls and ladies teams.

So I would guess that the intention is to rejunenate the ladies team, perhaps back to the kind of level they used to play at.

Whelk, you'll be glad to know that the proposed extension to the Staplewood main building includes female toilets and changing facilities specifically for the use of (as stated in the propsal document, paragraph 3.3.1) SFC girls and ladies teams.

So I would guess that the intention is to rejunenate the ladies team, perhaps back to the kind of level they used to play at.

Cheers and good to know it is not just for Natasha

Fingers crossed.

Watching the final weekend of the women's super league at the weekend I had wondered why efforts hadn't been made to reintegrate the Saints ladies team into the club. As part of our apparently renewed friendly community ethos it would be great to have them back in the fold properly, especially as the facilities to run them seamlessly in house would be already built. No need for them to play their matches at Sholing/Eastleigh/Totton when there is a mini stadium at the training ground.

Why should the club subsidise Sunday League level football?

Go to any kids Saturday morning training sessions around the area and see how many girls are playing wearing Saints shirts and you'd realise why.

It's not just about having the women's team, it's about girls growing up having more affinity with the club as a whole. Why shouldn't they aspire to play for Saints just as many boys do?

However exciting the media they try and make out I always let out a little sigh when they mention women's football.

Annoying when BBC clutter up fixture list un a bid to promote as not remotely the interest out there but a club of our size and finances could incorporate easily.

Go to any kids Saturday morning training sessions around the area and see how many girls are playing wearing Saints shirts and you'd realise why.

It's not just about having the women's team, it's about girls growing up having more affinity with the club as a whole. Why shouldn't they aspire to play for Saints just as many boys do?

Because no-one is interested in watching them play.

Most other clubs manage to be successful without having a women's team. We've got a higher percentage of female support than most clubs, despite them having a female team, so there is no correlation between the two.

However exciting the media they try and make out I always let out a little sigh when they mention women's football.

I am sure that with a little effort you will be able to deal with your problem.

Annoying when BBC clutter up fixture list un a bid to promote as not remotely the interest out there but a club of our size and finances could incorporate easily.

I didn't understand this.

Most other clubs manage to be successful without having a women's team. We've got a higher percentage of female support than most clubs, despite them having a female team, so there is no correlation between the two.

You are right in that we do seem to have quite a lot of female support compared to other clubs. I just think the reasonably low costs involved in setting up a team and the benefit to the local community in doing so make it a worthwhile venture. I'd be interested in hearing someone from the club detailing the pros and cons of doing so because obviously they'd have a far more informed opinion base than us.

Regards the interest in crowd numbers, there are plenty of men's clubs in the depths of non league that get only a handful of spectators. Should they not exist either? I've watched Folland (formally Hamble/Aerostructures) a few times and there's been 50 or so people there.

It really is nothing to do with people going to watch them play. Maybe these days its about the brand Southampton as much as anything. Almost all the top teams in the PL have associated women's teams in the top division (WSL, 8 teams), Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Everton and Arsenal). Only Manure are not represented. Is there any evidence to support this notion that we have more female supporters than other clubs?

Regards the interest in crowd numbers, there are plenty of men's clubs in the depths of non league that get only a handful of spectators. Should they not exist either? I've watched Folland (formally Hamble/Aerostructures) a few times and there's been 50 or so people there.

Do they exist because they're randomly subsidised by another organisation? Or the club's pay their own way?

It's more than annoying when the BBC publish a headline under "Football" such as "Arsenal defeat Everton to win cup" or "Leicester fight back to snatch point" only to find out they were actually talking about Women's Football. The two are clearly very different, and we shouldn't be tricked into following it.

Good luck to them, just don't make us read about it or watch it, christ.

How many do the under 18s get?

Bugger all because they play most games behind closed doors at Staplewood. Games at St Mary's get about 500, more for FA Youth Cup. When we had Walcott, Lallana, Dyer etc in the youth team we easily had a few thousand turning up.

The level is garbage, and the media coverage absolutely infuriates me. When the standard is decent, THEN put it on national television.

They've already proven they don't give a toss for competitiveness by auto-relegating Doncaster last year to parachute Man City in, so why should I care about them playing out an insignificant competition which the organisers have already rendered worthless?

It's more than annoying when the BBC publish a headline under "Football" such as "Arsenal defeat Everton to win cup" or "Leicester fight back to snatch point" only to find out they were actually talking about Women's Football. The two are clearly very different, and we shouldn't be tricked into following it.

Good luck to them, just don't make us read about it or watch it, christ.

'Arsenal defeat Everton to win cup' is factually different to 'Arsenal defeat Everton to win cup' depending on the gender of the players?

'Arsenal defeat Everton to win cup' is factually different to 'Arsenal defeat Everton to win cup' depending on the gender of the players?

No, but you do understand what he means. He is interested in Arsenal men beating Everton men to win cup. He is not at all interested in the women's equivalent. Women's football is poor and I can fully understand people not having the slightest interest in following it.

It is factually incorrect. One of them is Arsenal versus Everton, the other is one subsidised PR effort that no-one cares about versus another subsidised PR effort that no-one cares about.

It's remarkable the respect people have for lower-league football when they write women's football off for its quality.

That's because lower league football is of better quality (anywhere in the top 9 tiers of English football) AND because no-one's trying to pass a sub-standard product off as some kind of pinnacle when it comes to the likes of the Hellenic League.

That's because lower league football is of better quality (anywhere in the top 9 tiers of English football) AND because no-one's trying to pass a sub-standard product off as some kind of pinnacle when it comes to the likes of the Hellenic League.

If you unfairly compare it to men's football then yes. But taken on it's own merits it can still be enjoyed, like any level of football.

It's still two teams going for it to win, that in itself provide a spectacle,. I really enjoyed watching the last day of the Women's Super League. One of the Manchester City players scored a truly wonderful goal in their surprise win over Chelsea.

Just a shame that the scousers prevailed but twas good drama.

Edited by Colinjb

If you unfairly compare it to men's football then yes. But taken on it's own merits it can still be enjoyed, like any level of football.

It's still two teams going for it to win, that in itself provide a spectacle,. I really enjoyed watching the last day of the Women's Super League. One of the Manchester City players scored a truly wonderful goal in their surprise win over Chelsea.

Just a shame that the scousers prevailed but twas good drama.

Watching your mates play good level Sunday league and properly going at it for a win can be entertaining, but no-one seriously pretends its remotely significant or good quality football.

Watching your mates play good level Sunday league and properly going at it for a win can be entertaining, but no-one seriously pretends its remotely significant or good quality football.

When it comes to teams I don't really care about that's all I want. Best not to dwell on significance because all sport is utterly facile and irrelevant when it comes to the fundamentals.

On it's own basis women's top flight football is entertaining. Throw in a Saints ladies team at the top level and it would be even better.

Edited by Colinjb

When it comes to teams I don't really care about that's all I want. On it's own basis women's top flight football is. Throw in a Saints ladies team at the top level and it would be even better.
So that is pretty much any game of football ever played, regardless of quality. Fair enough.

When it comes to teams I don't really care about that's all I want. On it's own basis women's top flight football is. Throw in a Saints ladies team at the top level and it would be even better.

I'm not even watching most Champions League group games, I'm not giving that parks-level cack the time of day no matter how many times the keeper drops a floating ball through their hands in a 5-5 draw.

So that is pretty much any game of football ever played, regardless of quality. Fair enough.

Yes, there have been games at park level (good description The9) that I have gained more enjoyment from then professional games which required paid entry. I just enjoy watching football.

Better a 5-5 draw then a 0-0 grind at any level when it comes to teams I have no bias towards.

But there's not currently enough good football for you to watch?

It's all good. And I enjoy watching a category that exists in it's own right (Women's Super League) as part of it.

Going back to a political point The9 raised, the forced relegation of Doncaster Belles was awful, vulgar in every respect. Cannot agree with it, but as the top level of women's football i'm glad it's getting exposure and can be watched.