Stoke Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

This upcoming (Stoke) game and those against mid-table sides that follow in the next month are the best test of whether we are to be a " real top side " or not. It's not so much about " the title", but top four.

Of course games v. Man city, Chelsea and Arsenal may decide who finishes 3rd, 4th ...or lower, but picking up 3 points week-in and out against mid-table / struggling sides is what real success is all about.

The top teams regularly " knock-over " each other, but that rarely makes a big difference (except like Liverpool / Chelsea last season,). Perhaps many of us (even Koeman himself) thought that Sunderland would be just such a test, but looked what happened. ......

It maybe another generation before we see eight goals again, but convincing wins against such sides will make the difference between Champions League, Europa League and ... finishing 8th.

I sometimes think that these "xxxx build-up" threads become more like the "xxxx wind-up" threads for panicky fans, so it's good to see players talking about..."one match at a time, and the next game".

I wonder how many fans are already dreading the Nov/Dec./January fixtures; :uhoh:Man.City...Man.Utd...(twice)... Arsenal (twice)...Chelsea..:scared:..but as the players are saying . one game at a time.:smug:

Edited by david in sweden

I think Valencia came on as a sub, but he was still adjusting and wasn't really sure of his surroundings them.

Don't think it's fair to belittle the WHU result too much though, they're a pretty handy team all in all this year and we made seriously light work of them, and that was after we had to come from behind. Easily our best away result for a while in terms of control and domination.

Absolutely, S. Clarke, it was a great away win. I just meant the Hammers are probably a more formidable team now with those two firing. Then again, we didn't have Mane or Toby did we - let's hope we complete the double at St Marys.

Absolutely, S. Clarke, it was a great away win. I just meant the Hammers are probably a more formidable team now with those two firing. Then again, we didn't have Mane or Toby did we - let's hope we complete the double at St Marys.

In the same way that we hadn't all the players and hasn't hit top gear vs west brom or Liverpool for that matter.

Following last weekend’s drubbing of Sunderland, the club has opened up extra seats to ensure as many Saints fans can be at this Saturday’s visit of Stoke City as possible.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20141021-stoke-tickets-and-hospitality-2028377.aspx

This rather suggests that the club has taken the decision to keep block 43 closed when it need not have. Hopefully we will get 31k+

Hope we don't get too much rain. A wet pitch will fit in with their clog style of hoof ball and restrict our sharp passing game.

As I said before, expect them to park the bus and try and muscle out a win.

I still can't get my head round Stoke being a premier club, for the most part they remind me of a a very worthy lower 2nd Division club.

Hope we don't get too much rain. A wet pitch will fit in with their clog style of hoof ball and restrict our sharp passing game.

I still can't get my head round Stoke being a premier club, for the most part they remind me of a a very worthy lower 2nd Division club.

I've only seen them play once this season (QPR) and they look a bit of a handful with their fast breaks, and not a long ball in sight. Hope we don't underestimate them because they aren't that bad a side.

Regardless of the weather, the St Mary's pitch is usually perfect.

You seem to have forgotten that Pulis has gone... Stoke play some good football alongside their physical attributes so expect a hard game.

I've only seen them play once this season (QPR) and they look a bit of a handful with their fast breaks, and not a long ball in sight. Hope we don't underestimate them because they aren't that bad a side.

In fairness that was against QPR most teams look good against QPR and even then they only managed a draw. Stoke have lost to Villa, Leicester and Sunderland they only managed a 1-0 against Newcastle. A win against Citeh aside they haven't done much this season. No match is a given but we really shouldn't fear playing a team like Stoke at home.

Have you been to a game at St Marys in the last 5 years?

This upcoming (Stoke) game and those against mid-table sides that follow in the next month are the best test of whether we are to be a " real top side " or not. It's not so much about " the title", but top four.

Of course games v. Man city, Chelsea and Arsenal may decide who finishes 3rd, 4th ...or lower, but picking up 3 points week-in and out against mid-table / struggling sides is what real success is all about.

The top teams regularly " knock-over " each other, but that rarely makes a big difference (except like Liverpool / Chelsea last season,). Perhaps many of us (even Koeman himself) thought that Sunderland would be just such a test, but looked what happened. ......

It maybe another generation before we see eight goals again, but convincing wins against such sides will make the difference between Champions League, Europa League and ... finishing 8th.

I sometimes think that these "xxxx build-up" threads become more like the "xxxx wind-up" threads for panicky fans, so it's good to see players talking about..."one match at a time, and the next game".

I wonder how many fans are already dreading the Nov/Dec./January fixtures; :uhoh:Man.City...Man.Utd...(twice)... Arsenal (twice)...Chelsea..:scared:..but as the players are saying . one game at a time.:smug:

Whilst I don't disagree about winning the games, the difference for mind isn't about the convincing wins but rather eeking out gritty wins when having an off day and-or when teams park the bus.

The top 4 historically have an uncanny knack of doing this, and much to my annoyance it is usually in extra time.

Manure struggling though now they can't' rely on Fergie time.

This week for us could be one of those games.

Whilst I don't disagree about winning the games,

the difference for mind isn't about the convincing wins but rather eeking out gritty wins when having an off day and-or when teams park the bus. .

oh yes, I'd certainly agree with that one. Playing badly but still getting the points. How many times have we seen " top teams " get a " penalty " in the last few minutes, or are saved by " Fergie time ".

Older fans will tell you that every game we played at the old Highbury stadium seemed to last..... at least 95 minutes.. .and we'd end up losing in that " magical " added time.

We won't have to worry about them for long. They'll be bankrupt and playing against Portsmouth soon enough.

Says the biggest moron on their forum, totally oblivious to the wealth of our owner and neglecting to notice the £30 million or so profit on our summer trading.

We're all a bit gay apparently; the real men go and watch the Skates. Hello Sailor. :rolleyes:

Stoke play more attractive football under Hughes than under Pulis, but the Pulis team would arguably have been the harder one to break down and more physical. Personally I'm happier that we're playing the Hughes team than the one Pulis had last.

Bit arrogant this. When we reached the top flight for the first time Stoke were already there as an established decent side who stayed a while before their decline in the 80s. They do have a reputation as a "manhandling, physical" side but their fans are among the most passionate and noisy in the premiership and as far as I know they don't have access to sugar daddy funding so for that reason alone they deserve respect.

Bit arrogant this. When we reached the top flight for the first time Stoke were already there as an established decent side who stayed a while before their decline in the 80s. They do have a reputation as a "manhandling, physical" side but their fans are among the most passionate and noisy in the premiership and as far as I know they don't have access to sugar daddy funding so for that reason alone they deserve respect.

What he said.

It's an interesting match for sure. I am curious to see who he starts and how the game is played, considering we have to turn right back around and play them again 4 days later.

I am wondering how Koeman manages the Cup strategy as it pertains to the League game and visa versa.

have to imagine it is all related to one another.

Bringing ms pap and Juvenile Unit #2 to this one to join the International Itchen North Collective. They've typically been good omens for matches. ms pap was with me during our '97/98 Anfield triumph against Liverpool. Last time I brought the pair of them to a game was Walsall, all the way back in League One.

Fairly sure we're going to have the same outdated opinions about Stoke as most fans looking in at other teams. I'm reasonably indifferent about them, but they've proved difficult to beat in their Premier League incarnation.

Adkins and Poch could never get the win with their sides. The real question is how good this Southampton side is under Koeman's leadership.

Bringing ms pap and Juvenile Unit #2 to this one to join the International Itchen North Collective. They've typically been good omens for matches. ms pap was with me during our '97/98 Anfield triumph against Liverpool. Last time I brought the pair of them to a game was Walsall, all the way back in League One.

Fairly sure we're going to have the same outdated opinions about Stoke as most fans looking in at other teams. I'm reasonably indifferent about them, but they've proved difficult to beat in their Premier League incarnation.

Adkins and Poch could never get the win with their sides. The real question is how good this Southampton side is under Koeman's leadership.

Going to this as well. I'll see you there or sometime over the weekend

how came the word "stoked" to mean like, excited? It produces the opposite emotions in me. To be Stoked should mean to be bored into ****less submission. Ok, whatever, I don't care if we win or lose, just as long as it ends :(

The meaning of the word "Stoked" is open for debate. If you were Thomas the Tank Engine, it would mean you just had a load of Ashy Coal shoved your hole.

Admittedly, a bit of a generalisation about Stoke, but they are hardly famous for playing flowing football.

Perhaps I am wrong, we shall see.

On another note, Stoke do have a long pedigree but apart from very recent years they were stuck in the wilderness of Div 2 and 3 old money.

Admittedly, a bit of a generalisation about Stoke, but they are hardly famous for playing flowing football.

Perhaps I am wrong, we shall see.

On another note, Stoke do have a long pedigree but apart from very recent years they were stuck in the wilderness of Div 2 and 3 old money.

No,Ithink you are right on this.

Having watched Stoke closely over the last couple of years, surely they'd have more success at rugby than the 'football' they supposedly play?

Just read their forum.... Why the total insecurity Stoke fans? I haven't watched you at all but you seem to have low expectations? Concentrate on your own positives. Yes we are boyant at the moment and yes we will almost certainly come down to earth with a bump at some stage but our expectations are now rightly above yours... We are enjoying the moment yes, as you will if you get anything Saturday.....

Went there for the game last year and the atmosphere was as bad as Anfield. It's become a myth that they have a great atmosphere there. And they're one of the highest net spenders in the premier league since their return, the Coates family have pumped big money in

Went there for the game last year and the atmosphere was as bad as Anfield. It's become a myth that they have a great atmosphere there. And they're one of the highest net spenders in the premier league since their return, the Coates family have pumped big money in

The best bit of atmosphere at the Britannia is the fecking wind.

The best bit of atmosphere at the Britannia is the fecking wind.

Last few times I've been there they barely sang at all. It was quite loud for the last 10 mins of the 3-3 when Jerome equalised but that really was it.

I'm not claiming our fans are better, just their "famous" atmosphere is massively exaggerated.