Garth Crooks team of the week

TopGun

Another pundit with something against Saints, Crooks tipped us to go down at the start of the season and has been grudging on BBC Final Score ever since. This week he managed to select Tadic as the only Saint whilst selecting three Everton defenders and Liverpool's Skrtel in defence. He also picked Matic and Fabregas of Chelsea in midfield.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29681650

Presumably he is basing this on the fact that Sunderland were rubbish but they were only rubbish once we had dominated them, right?

So while Everton played well and didn't concede against Villa, Villa are a team who have only scored four goals all season - the Premiership's lowest! Where's the logic?

Liverpool let in two goals against QPR in a messy game yet Skrtel is picked. Where's the logic?

Chelsea had a 2-1 win against Crystal Palace yet Crooks picks two Chelsea central midfielders over any of Saints central midfielders despite the fact that we took the Sunderland midfield apart. Where's the logic?

I have to say that Crooks is a shocking pundit anyway and it makes me mad that he gets paid with my BBC licence money to be so poor and narrow minded.

Rant over!

Agree with all of that TopGun, especially the point that Sunderland were only rubbish once we dominated them.

In he 15 minutes between about 65-80 minutes they capitulated. For the previous hour we were better at finishing than them.

I think Shearer missed this on MOTD2 when he said we were allowed to control the match, if that were Man City the media would have purred.

Another pundit with something against Saints, Crooks tipped us to go down at the start of the season and has been grudging on BBC Final Score ever since. This week he managed to select Tadic as the only Saint whilst selecting three Everton defenders and Liverpool's Skrtel in defence. He also picked Matic and Fabregas of Chelsea in midfield.

Presumably he is basing this on the fact that Sunderland were rubbish but they were only rubbish once we had dominated them, right?

So while Everton played well and didn't concede against Villa, Villa are a team who have only scored four goals all season - the Premiership's lowest! Where's the logic?

Liverpool let in two goals against QPR in a messy game yet Skrtel is picked. Where's the logic?

Chelsea had a 2-1 win against Crystal Palace yet Crooks picks two Chelsea central midfielders over any of Saints central midfielders despite the fact that we took the Sunderland midfield apart. Where's the logic?

I have to say that Crooks is a shocking pundit anyway and it makes me mad that he gets paid with my BBC licence money to be so poor and narrow minded.

Rant over!

Whilst I agree Top Gun, I'm really happy with the media falling over themselves to undermine us.

I don't need an overpaid moron TV pundit to tell me my team did well when we smashed someone 8-0 :lol:

And if it helps keep our profile low to any degree then it benefits us.

A lot of fans from other clubs are really starting to take notice, the snide remarks and sarcasm have stopped and fans think twice about ripping the **** knowing that we may be giving it back to them in a few days or weeks.

Great time to be a saints fan.

I found it slightly annoying how Lawrenson and Gary weren't on MOTD, but at the same time, there comments would have soured to occasion.

As for BBC 5 live and Talk Sport, presenters defending Chambers and stones for england after the game, they are utter jokers.

There is only 1 english right back that matters, and he plays for us!

As does the english left back of choice!

2 liverpool players in the totw?

joke, sterling was so-so, and how you can pick a defender who shipped 2 goals is beyond me.

A defender who was part of a CB partnership given the run around by BOBBY ZAMORA (yes, let that sink in a minute) for about 70 minutes.

Agree with Steve though, don't think he has anything against us. Just ain't that bright.

Its got to be Pelle up front with Aguero. To all in tents and porpoises he scored a hat trick, so how Sterling gets into his team I don't know.

Maybe Garth thinks he's got to play 4-2-3-1 because that's the cool formation for the last couple of seasons. He should be England manager.

I was delighted to hear Brendan Rodgers insist in his post-match press conference that his relationship with England manager Roy Hodgson is fine.

It is just as well because if this kid plays likes this every week both Liverpool and England need to give him all the rest he wants.

Hilarious

Although I've never bought into this BBC agenda against us, this is a joke. Skrtel?! Just a very odd choice. How can a player who let in 2 goals against the leagues bottom team, get in the team of the week. Admittedly it means nothing, but just makes himself look like a tool.

It's not just the fact he was part of that back 4, he was actually at fault for at least 1 of the goals himself. It's a bit wtf really.

Although the hate Lovren is getting over on RAWK is a nice bit of karma...they've had enough of him...

Liverpool suffering from the same thing England have been with Gerrard in DM - he's not good enough defensively to offer enough protection to the defence. Last year, Lovren looked class because he had good players all around him and we're a very solid unit with Morgan/Davis/Wanyama/Cork all playing their roles.

The only reason Gerrard is playing DM is to give him time to pick out those long raking 50 yard passes (which barely come off!!)

Liverpool suffering from the same thing England have been with Gerrard in DM - he's not good enough defensively to offer enough protection to the defence. Last year, Lovren looked class because he had good players all around him and we're a very solid unit with Morgan/Davis/Wanyama/Cork all playing their roles.

The only reason Gerrard is playing DM is to give him time to pick out those long raking 50 yard passes (which barely come off!!)

Check out this stat from Liverpools last 84 league games...

League games: 84

Goals against: 105

I'm not overly surprised at the TOTW. Ours was largely a great team performance with Tadic the obvious standout. On another week perhaps he'd have put Pellè in there but otherwise this is just one idiots opinion from a media perspective which have a bent for the top 4/6.

I'm not overly surprised at the TOTW. Ours was largely a great team performance with Tadic the obvious standout. On another week perhaps he'd have put Pellè in there but otherwise this is just one idiots opinion from a media perspective which have a bent for the top 4/6.

*waits for MLG to ask what you mean by top 4/6*

He's not got anything against us, he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Probably the most annoying blabbering pundit there is. Never actually says anything, just babbles along.

Sums him up in a few words. I now turn the sound down when he is on.

Just playing devils advocate here, but GC does go on to explain why Skrtel gets the nod...

"Martin Skrtel saved Liverpool's skin twice in a fixture where both teams struggled to defend at times. He kept them in the game in the first half having kicked the ball off the line and stopping it from ending up in the net.He then saved his team for a second time to stop them going two down with another amazing clearance as Liverpool looked to be losing their grip on the game. Thanks to Skrtel Liverpool went on to beat QPR and leave them anchored to the foot of the table in an extraordinary game of football."

Compare to Toby and Jose who, by no fault of their own, did relatively little.

Just playing devils advocate here, but GC does go on to explain why Skrtel gets the nod...

"Martin Skrtel saved Liverpool's skin twice in a fixture where both teams struggled to defend at times. He kept them in the game in the first half having kicked the ball off the line and stopping it from ending up in the net.He then saved his team for a second time to stop them going two down with another amazing clearance as Liverpool looked to be losing their grip on the game. Thanks to Skrtel Liverpool went on to beat QPR and leave them anchored to the foot of the table in an extraordinary game of football."

Compare to Toby and Jose who, by no fault of their own, did relatively little.

Dont think anyone is saying Toby or Fonte should be in there, however for a team who let in two very soft goals and Bobbby Zamora ran them ragged, he doesnt deserve to be in there either.

Rant over!

You've answered your own question ;)

There's a reason why most of these "pundits" haven't got proper jobs with proper football clubs.

Indeed. But to be fair, they'll occasionally give that a crack.

Newcastle were relegated. Shearer's eight games yielded only five points out of a possible twenty-four.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Be interesting to see who Crooks names later today.

He said this is response to Saints victory at Hull though:

"Southampton have slipped into second in the table while remaining under the radar. But they are doing extremely well. They have momentum and are keeping their form going - and now they have our full attention."

I have to say it took him long enough to smell the coffee, given this is meant to be his job!

"Southampton have slipped into second in the table while remaining under the radar. But they are doing extremely well. They have momentum and are keeping their form going - and now they have our full attention."

I have to say it took him long enough to smell the coffee, given this is meant to be his job!

It was more the reluctant, solemn way he said it that got my goat, made us sound more like a cross between Isis and the Ebola virus.

Slipped under the radar - did he miss the 8-0 victory over Sunderland?

I think Clyne wins the award for saints player most often picked by Garth for his team of the week. Now don't get me wrong Clyne is a superb player, one of my favourite players in the team, but the regularity that Garth picks him makes me wonder if Clyne is Garth Crooks secret love child or something.

I think Clyne wins the award for saints player most often picked by Garth for his team of the week. Now don't get me wrong Clyne is a superb player, one of my favourite players in the team, but the regularity that Garth picks him makes me wonder if Clyne is Garth Crooks secret love child or something.

Or part of the Hodgson recruiting team

Blimey - some of the recent posters on this thread are a tad precious.

True. We have a chip on our shoulders the size of a small tree. Never mind the press noticing how good we are, when will Saints fans follow the team's example and simply let the football do the talking? All this "little Southampton" talk only works if deep down you believe a little too much of it yourself.