What results would suit us best this weekend?

Professor

Obvious really, that teams near us should all drop points but as several are playing each other, some drawn games would go down well. If Chelsea draw with Man Utd and West Ham draw with Man City that would be four of the top 6 teams dropping 2 points each. The icing on the cake would be if Hull could a win at Liverpool. Given that Hull were unlucky only to get a draw at Arsenal and Liverpool were fortunate to beat QPR, a Hull win would not be a shock result. As for Arsenal, wouldn't it be nice to see them lose at Sunderland as the Black Cats bounce back from Saturday's humiliation.

Let's be honest. It doesn't matter.

I am enjoying Spurs and Liverpool losing/not winning but not because of our League position. It's just funny. The rest of it? can't say it bothers me at this point. We're not CL contenders yet.

For now, if we win we're third at least. Great. Just keep the run going is all.

There are tougher challenges ahead so let's stockpile points now.

Obvious really, that teams near us should all drop points but as several are playing each other, some drawn games would go down well. If Chelsea draw with Man Utd and West Ham draw with Man City that would be four of the top 6 teams dropping 2 points each. The icing on the cake would be if Hull could a win at Liverpool. Given that Hull were unlucky only to get a draw at Arsenal and Liverpool were fortunate to beat QPR, a Hull win would not be a shock result. As for Arsenal, wouldn't it be nice to see them lose at Sunderland as the Black Cats bounce back from Saturday's humiliation.

Our most insanely optimistic hope for this year would be third. Therefore, we want Man City and Chelsea to win all their games except against us. We want three teams to be really bad so relegation is not a threat to us--two of them are QPR and Burnley. Don't know about the third yet. Otherwise, we want good teams to lose to bad teams and ties in all other matches.

I'd agree that we need Chelsea and Man City to spank everyone they play as we wont be anywhere near them come the end of the season. Everyone else is looking decidedly dodgy at the moment so the likes of Spuds, Everton and Liverpool dropping points can only be good.

Let's be honest. It doesn't matter.

I am enjoying Spurs and Liverpool losing/not winning but not because of our League position. It's just funny. The rest of it? can't say it bothers me at this point. We're not CL contenders yet.

For now, if we win we're third at least. Great. Just keep the run going is all.

There are tougher challenges ahead so let's stockpile points now.

This

We're not even 10 games in lets just enjoy it while it lasts if we are in the same position with 5 games to go I'll start getting excited about where we might finish

This.

We've got a nightmare run coming, so lets get as many on the board as possible and try to emerge from it still in touching distance of an Europa League spot.

What's that got to do with other results, that you, me and the rest of the Saints supporting public, plus Dalek, can't influence. This is a discussion board, so try discussing it.

I agree with the hope that Chelsea and City beat everybody else on our behalf and I have spent the last 50 years wishing ill on ManU and see no reason to stop now.

Our most insanely optimistic hope for this year would be third. Therefore, we want Man City and Chelsea to win all their games except against us. We want three teams to be really bad so relegation is not a threat to us--two of them are QPR and Burnley. Don't know about the third yet. Otherwise, we want good teams to lose to bad teams and ties in all other matches.

On the other hand it could be Saint's last chance to go top of the table. Would it be worth possibly sacrificing a place at the end of the season for a bit of fleeting glory? (Of the results needed for this scenario it is true QPR beating Chelsea seems most unlikely.)

I'd agree that we need Chelsea and Man City to spank everyone they play as we wont be anywhere near them come the end of the season. Everyone else is looking decidedly dodgy at the moment so the likes of Spuds, Everton and Liverpool dropping points can only be good.

Exactly. These two are streets ahead of anyone else, let them win every game and we stand slight chance of a Europa spot.

Pretty likely that over time, the bigger clubs have the resources to reel us in and overtake us, but as Chelsea and City are the ones most clearly beyond us, they can take all the points they like off everyone else, thanks. Like others have said though, it's not so much about what they all do, except the schadenfreude when big clubs fail, it's what we do that interests me most.

it's not so much about what they all do, except the schadenfreude when big clubs fail, it's what we do that interests me most.

Thats true - but whilst we can determine our results and points, its how others do that determines where we finish in the league.

Not exactly. We're third now, if we get the results we stay there no matter what anyone else does. If they get good results they get to challenge us, but it's what we do in our matches that interests me the most, because it's our position to keep. I doubt we will stay there, but our results are what I'm interested in here.

Not exactly. We're third now, if we get the results we stay there no matter what anyone else does. If they get good results they get to challenge us, but it's what we do in our matches that interests me the most, because it's our position to keep. I doubt we will stay there, but our results are what I'm interested in here.

According to Lets B Avenue, we arent allowed to say that :facepalm:

i want Chelsea to lose the next couple, I would love the glory of being top of the league for a week or so,

probably the only chance we will ever get.

There was a chance of that happening a while back, if Chelsea lost. They didn't, think we lost against Spurs (I think it was then) and a few games later, Chelsea are miles ahead. We'll never catch them, they just won't drop more points than us, so let them beat everyone else, along with City, and we'll keep optimistically thinking we can aim for 3rd at the season end. I want a dream!

Right now Utd Liverpool Spurs & Everton don't look all that.LVG is taking longer to turn it round than i expected.Arsenal have Danny Wellbeck firing on all cylinders(looks like i was wrong on him i thought he was gash).I'm not sure who's played who from those ,but i think Utd have played similar level to us .Wasnt it about this time last season our run of injuries to our main players started? Key for us to maintain our momentum is keeping the core fit and suspension free.We are certainly better at putting the ball in the net this season,and at present even better defensively.

Mathematically yes but realistically we aren't competing with the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Burnley or QPR so I'm quite happy to see them win a few games.

You mean Burnley and QPR beating Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and possibly Liverpool and Tottenham but not many others? I suppose that might work.

After last nights game Chelski are miles ahead of the rest. Take a point off them and I'd be happy. Saints to win against Stoke on Saturday but I won't hazard a guess as I lost £5 on a 4-0 victory for us over Sunderland.Imagine my bitter disappointment (not true)when we got the fifth and then the sixth and seven and finally eight.Thinking back I should have doubled.I was elated!!!

After last nights game Chelski are miles ahead of the rest. Take a point off them and I'd be happy. Saints to win against Stoke on Saturday but I won't hazard a guess as I lost £5 on a 4-0 victory for us over Sunderland.Imagine my bitter disappointment (not true)when we got the fifth and then the sixth and seven and finally eight.Thinking back I should have doubled.I was elated!!!

8-0 is twice 4-0 so they should paid out twice :rolleyes:

I'm convinced Chelsea will win the league at a canter and Man City are pretty special.

We're absolutely kidding ourselves that we can finish in the top 5, so forgetting Chelsea and City, if the teams below us lose, we stay 3rd another week, that'll do :)

Our next 4 fixtures are all winnable IMHO

Stoke H

Hull A

Leicester H

Aston Villa A

Focus on getting 12 points from that lot then the games after against City, Arsenal, Man U are much less of a concern. 3 points from those three games would give us 31 points before the Christmas schedule. Lovely.

Our next 4 fixtures are all winnable IMHO

Stoke H

Hull A

Leicester H

Aston Villa A

Focus on getting 12 points from that lot then the games after against City, Arsenal, Man U are much less of a concern. 3 points from those three games would give us 31 points before the Christmas schedule. Lovely.

Blimey if that were to happen I think we all might be a little bit dizzy!!

I'm convinced Chelsea will win the league at a canter and Man City are pretty special.

We're absolutely kidding ourselves that we can finish in the top 5, so forgetting Chelsea and City, if the teams below us lose, we stay 3rd another week, that'll do :)

We have a chance for top 5. Two factors, us and other teams (stating obvious!).

We have played at top 5 level for most of last 12 months, apart from a perod mid last season. Our squad is much better so maybe able to keep performance levels up. Also think Koeman could well be better manager - even our defeats have not been bad.

However, we can't expect to improve a huge amount so any climb in table needs other teams to drop. IMHO, Chelsea, Man C and Arsenal will be out of reach. I thought Man U would be by now so was going to ignore them, but longer they take to sort themselves out more pressure will be on them - Ignoring reputation, just on what you see, they are not looking like a top 4 side, even with decent fixtures. However once they get a run going they could storm up the league.

Battle for 5th to 8th is between us, Liverpool, Everton, and Spurs. I am not 100% convinced Rogers will sort out the problems there. There seem to be issues with organisation, balance and confidence. Thought for last couple of years Gerrard could be a problem for them... Brave manager to drop him but he is past his best - their key player and he is not as good as our player in same position. They will probably finish top 4 - but think you would be foolish to put your house on them being above us.

Spurs - again more likely than not to be above us but certainly catchable.

Everton certainly not light years away from us (Turkish ;) ). At moment think more likely than not we will beat them.

Early days, I would not make a confident prediction of a final placing but think 4th only just possible, 5th a chance, 6-9th likely, 10-12 possible. Can't see any lower.

So early that 3 or 4 games could change view quite a lot...both for us and likes of Everton (if their win at weekend starts a run of 4 wins they will be right back in it).

• 2 weeks later...
Just get the 3 points everything else that happens is meaningless.

Though a Mu , Scouse and Yid loss would be great :)

Yeah meaningless not opening up a gap on our rivals. Personally I am loving having a vested interest in so many games and supporting the minnows rather than wishing defeats on potential relegation rivals.

More fun than just seeing if we can overtake Newcastle

We've got a 7 point lead on anyone outside the top 5. The only teams outside that group that I think can go on a storming run and climb the table are Man Utd, Liverpool and Tottenham. One of them is certainly going to click at some point, maybe Liverpool when Sturridge is fit or Man Utd when they can field a back four who are playing in their preferred positions. If we're going to stay in that top 5 group we want to see West Ham dropping away (probably replaced by Liverpool / United) and the other three / two to continue drawing / losing.

Oh and we need to keep winning.

So this weekend:

Sat 8 Nov 2014 - Premier League

Liverpool v Chelsea Draw

Burnley v Hull Hopefully irrelevant but I'd like Burnley to get a win out of pity.

Man Utd v Crystal Palace Away win

Southampton v Leicester COYR! Home win

West Ham v Aston Villa Away win

QPR v Man City Home win

Sun 9 Nov 2014 - Premier League

Sunderland v Everton Home win

Tottenham v Stoke Away win

West Brom v Newcastle Draw

Swansea v Arsenal Draw

Edited by richard