Dirk Kuyt ?..... oh really?

david in sweden

well.... http://www.insidefutbol.com has apparantly posted a " rumour " that Ronald K. is looking to sign Dirk Kuyt (no less) from Fenerbache... when his contract goes out at end of season.

Kuyt, who is already 34 looked pretty good in Holland's World Cup matches, but aren't we all asking ourselves .....WHY would he sign him in the first place?

Seems strange to say, but having signed three former " Koeman-type players "... none of them are actually Dutch!...and although Liverpool thought Kuyt wasn't Prem. class any longer, he still manages to put in a useful shift for the Turkish outfit where he has scored 18 goals in 64 starts...and goodness knows how many assists, he retired himself from the Dutch national squad with 104 caps after the World Cup. His career in Holland with Utrecht and Feyernoord (there's that name again) ..made him an instant hit when he moved to Liverpool, and we surely all recall his great performances.

IF THIS RUMOUR IS ANYWHERE TRUE...How about this for a theory?.....

Of course, we wouldn't give a 35 year old a four year contract, but Kuyt seems to be a sort of a Dutch Peter Pan figure, (where he is almost as legendary as RK was) can still put himself about.

If he still has a good fitness level (as Beckham had towards the end of his career) then a return to the Prem. might seem very appealing, although I certainly wouldn't expect to see him play 38 games a season, but he'd certainly be an asset in big games ...PLUS could this be some sort of insurance (on RK's part) - just in case we do qualify for Europe....and need some real Euro experience.

The more I think about it the dafter it sounds, but it's football and who knows what will happen next.

Those of us who are a bit longer on the tooth will recall Lawrie McMenemy recruiting lorryloads of ex-internationals who still had quality and looked the part in those teams in the early 1980's.

plus.... putting the budding young talents of that era alongside top internationals improved their game by leaps and bounds.

Edited by david in sweden

I wouldn't mind this as a squad player. Would bring a lot of experience, still decent cover and would be handy to have on as a coach or scout or something in a year or so when he retires. I doubt this is true though as we don't really need a forward. When J-Rod and Gallagher come back there is gonna be some serious selection headaches.

If we get in any European tourny we will need a larger squad and that's not the time to put too many academy players in, so a few old hands would be essential. Then we would have to pay big money wages for someone to sit on the bench most of the time. guess this is why clubs our size question the value of being in Europe at all

I've always thought he was brilliant, one of my favourite players growing up. Charges everywhere, always absolutely drenched by the end of a game. Would be a decent squad player I think but I'm not sure he'd get much game time... maybe for those midweek Champions' League games ;)

I thought he looked good in the WC. Plays everywhere, good engine even at 34.

I think that too. Hard working squad player, can be used just about anywhere. If the price was right, then why not. But I'm more hoping that Theo or AOC would be itching to come 'home' in January, now they are not first choice at Arsenal. I know Theo has been injured but he isn't going to displace Sanchez.

I was a bit sceptical when the first rumour was supposed to be that Southampton would hi-jack Kuyt's move to Feyenoord at the end of the season. By the start of the 2015/16 season he would be 35 and inevitably, time would be catching up with him. But a later rumour is that we might go for him in the January transfer window. That would make more sense if we are in with a shout for a top 6 place or better as he would be cover for Pelle in the last 3 months, just when cover might be needed.

Sure I saw this rumour during the summer as well, he must be on our long list (as opposed to the Long list, which was the same list before we signed Shane Long).

Not sure he'd be "cover for Pelle" at 34 and having recently been employed as a wingback in the Dutch national side.

The Sun ran an article about this today, based on the fact that Jay Rod is still two months away and Shane Long is "miss-firing"

I know it's just lazy journalism, but if Longs performance on Saturday was him miss-firing, I hope he keeps miss-firing for a very long time.

The Sun ran an article about this today, based on the fact that Jay Rod is still two months away and Shane Long is "miss-firing"

I know it's just lazy journalism, but if Longs performance on Saturday was him miss-firing, I hope he keeps miss-firing for a very long time.

I agree I think he showed up well on Saturday (well didn't everyone ?)....but the journo' probably means.......Shane hasn't scored any goals yet...just give him time.

]Koeman just killed this one[/b] in the Presser. If anyone was unsure.

......and so that's what it was ......just another rumour.

But if we get close enough to be in contention for a Euro competition next season, players of his calibre would certainly give us an edge against REALLY big European teams.

So Kuyt's potential signing is dismissed out of hand by Koeman, who says that we have expressed no interest in him. So this is just yet another instance of the media getting it all wrong, publishing stories which must be based on speculation, hearsay, rumours spread by players' agents, selling clubs, etc. Quel surprise.