3 points or cup progression?

SNSUN

Who has suddenly decided 7th is the best we can hope for. Liverpool without Suarez look a lot more like the 6th/7th placed also rans they were before last season. Man Utd look decided dodgy at the moment and Arsenal needed a last minute equaliser at home to Hull. Everton under Martinez don't look as solid as they did under Moyes. Spurs and Poch... who knows.

I'm not saying we're going to finish top 4 but Everton weren't saying that in 2004 either, when they were a midtable team and had just sold Rooney.

Who has suddenly decided 7th is the best we can hope for. Liverpool without Suarez look a lot more like the 6th/7th placed also rans they were before last season. Man Utd look decided dodgy at the moment and Arsenal needed a last minute equaliser at home to Hull. Everton under Martinez don't look as solid as they did under Moyes. Spurs and Poch... who knows.

I'm not saying we're going to finish top 4 but Everton weren't saying that in 2004 either, when they were a midtable team and had just sold Rooney.

This. We are very far away from a top team, but we are presently third, and need to hang on as hard and long as we can!! Hard and long! Hard and long!!

If we just keep chanting the hard and long mantra we will over-come the enemy!! Our enemies will be all over come by the out-pourings from our hard an long philosophy!!

Phew!! I feel better, and a lot calmer now.

I don't think we will get a better chance because apart from City and Chelsea everyone looks beatable. BUT we have had easy fixtures, we will have a better idea of our chances in January. Between the 30th Nov and 10th of Jan we play Man Utd twice, Arsenal twice, Man City, Chelsea and Everton. So far we've had two hard games Liverpool and Spurs - and lost both.

I would say that I can't believe the number of people who would (again) value 3 extra points in the league rather than cup progress. But then this is the M-Board where the race for 8th certainly does seem to hold a higher value than actually winning some major silverware amongst a seeming majority of posters.

Cup every time for me, its much more important. And thankfully with RK's attitude of playing his strongest tem every game there are far fewer apologists than last season kissing Pochettino's arse for capitulating and treating the competition with utter contempt.

I would say that I can't believe the number of people who would (again) value 3 extra points in the league rather than cup progress. But then this is the M-Board where the race for 8th certainly does seem to hold a higher value than actually winning some major silverware amongst a seeming majority of posters.

Cup every time for me, its much more important. And thankfully with RK's attitude of playing his strongest tem every game there are far fewer apologists than last season kissing Pochettino's arse for capitulating and treating the competition with utter contempt.

We will gain much more kudos for finishing 8th than winning the League Cup. We will gain a reputation for being a solid premier club that is without doubt the 8th best in the league because we managed it twice over. We could even aim for 7th in future seasons or at least 12th. Personally, I feel we should be happy with 17th as long as we can occasionally show the likes of Manure that we are no pushover. Think realistically it is too much to ask against Chelski, but it could be a long term aim.

I don't think we will get a better chance because apart from City and Chelsea everyone looks beatable. BUT we have had easy fixtures, we will have a better idea of our chances in January. Between the 30th Nov and 10th of Jan we play Man Utd twice, Arsenal twice, Man City, Chelsea and Everton. So far we've had two hard games Liverpool and Spurs - and lost both.

Liverpool away on the first day, with a new team, was always going to be a tough ask. We made a decent enough fist of it and deserved a point. Spurs we were poor but again there was only one goal in it and on another day Mane scores and we get a decent point away from home.

We may have had easy fixtures but but we've been winning them. Grinding out results against teams like Swansea and QPR and spanking West Ham, Newcastle and Sunderland. Meanwhile Man Utd have shipped 5 goals at Leicester and couldn't beat Burnley. Liverpool needed an injury time og. to beat QPR and Arsenal likewise to get a draw at home to Hull.

So now it's the race for 8th? 3rd in the League and we've already given up all hope of beating teams like Everton, Liverpool and Spurs.

I don't remember too many apologists from last season either TBH. Almost everyone on here was p*ssed off at that Sunderland game and Poch's apparent apathy towards the competition.

Some people don't seem to understand what a hypothetical question is. Of course we want to win both.

Things are looking good in the league but fact is we won't finish top 4 and it's unlikely that we will be top 6 come May so a cup win would be great.

It isn't a fact. It might be unlikely but it is not factual. It isn't even unlikely at the moment that 6th is beyond our capabilities.

Absolutely this.

In most cases over the last decade or so the League Cup final has been decided by at least one top four contender team.

So it shows a significant lack of understanding that winning the league cup is precisely what teams at that level tend to do.

The league-only chaps really don't have a grasp on the notion of true ambition.

Join us and let's go for a trophy.

Do I look back and remember the fa cup 1976, being at Wembley in 79, or even the jpt and that other one in the mid 90's against forest, or do I remember the points tally for those seasons and where we would have been with an extra win - maybe one or two places higher, maybe not.

Surely a no-brainer?

Fortunately we can win both.

COYR.

Oh God I find myself starting to agree with ART. Must be the meds for this bloody chest infection I've had for two weeks.

Look, we are in the insane position of being 3rd in the PL. Look at the rest of the usual suspects.

Man Ure couldn't defend against a schoolboy side at the moment and will need reinforcements in January.

Arsenal seem to be contend with injuring each other or destroying team spirit by b@nging each other's WAGS.

Everton are finding Lukaku to be the new Saganowski and are suffering Europa Cup issues.

Liverpool? Again, with their defence as it is until January and Balotelli keeping their only fit PL quality striker out of the team.

Spurs? Honestly? Do we all REALLY expect MP to finish above us and get Spurs into the CL? Don't you lot have your mortgages bet on him being fired by XMas?

So, AT THE MOMENT, it seems we are battling with BFS & WBA & ManUre when they do a Keegan Team and outscore the competition.

It is insane to imagine that Saints could get a sniff of a top 4 finish. But right at this moment, a lot of our Competitors are having meltdowns or slow starts.

IF we keep doing our thing and keep the spirit and get JRod & JWP back before we pick up any more injuries, it may SEEM insane, but many of the other usual suspects seem to be wanting to GIVE us a CL spot this year.

We would be stupid to not keep blasting away full guns in the League until reality starts to bite in late December/Jan, THEN we can worry about the FA Cup. and by then we may well have kept going in the League Cup.

It is Insane, BUT there is a SMALL chance we COULD break through this year. ART is right. Don't be complacent, at least look at the possibility and ask Could a team with Johnson & Lovren in defence REALLY finish above us IF we keep playing as we are?

:rolleyes:

Oh God I find myself starting to agree with ART. Must be the meds for this bloody chest infection I've had for two weeks.

Look, we are in the insane position of being 3rd in the PL. Look at the rest of the usual suspects.

Man Ure couldn't defend against a schoolboy side at the moment and will need reinforcements in January.

Arsenal seem to be contend with injuring each other or destroying team spirit by b@nging each other's WAGS.

Everton are finding Lukaku to be the new Saganowski and are suffering Europa Cup issues.

Liverpool? Again, with their defence as it is until January and Balotelli keeping their only fit PL quality striker out of the team.

Spurs? Honestly? Do we all REALLY expect MP to finish above us and get Spurs into the CL? Don't you lot have your mortgages bet on him being fired by XMas?

So, AT THE MOMENT, it seems we are battling with BFS & WBA & ManUre when they do a Keegan Team and outscore the competition.

It is insane to imagine that Saints could get a sniff of a top 4 finish. But right at this moment, a lot of our Competitors are having meltdowns or slow starts.

IF we keep doing our thing and keep the spirit and get JRod & JWP back before we pick up any more injuries, it may SEEM insane, but many of the other usual suspects seem to be wanting to GIVE us a CL spot this year.

We would be stupid to not keep blasting away full guns in the League until reality starts to bite in late December/Jan, THEN we can worry about the FA Cup. and by then we may well have kept going in the League Cup.

It is Insane, BUT there is a SMALL chance we COULD break through this year. ART is right. Don't be complacent, at least look at the possibility and ask Could a team with Johnson & Lovren in defence REALLY finish above us IF we keep playing as we are?

:rolleyes:

My god the voice of sanity comes from the Middle East :)

No crouching Tigers involved either.

If winning the League Cup is a reasonable possibility why isn't the FA Cup likewise? So yes, let's concentrate on the League for now and see where we are in January. Who knows, it could all be very exciting/depressing - take your pick. But remember that, for all the moans, the team that Pokey put out was perfectly capable of beating that Sunderland side.

The league of course, we are sitting in third and I want us to stay there for as long as possible. I would be far more disappointed at losing today than in the cup game.

It'll be one to tell the grandkids about TBF.

"Aah, the halcyon days of yore, the 2014-15 Premier League season. Did you know that we were third in the league going into November? THIRD!!"

"Aah, the halcyon days of yore, the 2014-15 Premier League season. Did you know that we were third in the league going into November? THIRD!!"

Many assume we won't stay there which is more defeatist and of course common sense and history tells us we won't. Not same as last season when clearly f all of note was going to happen to our league position and the defeatist view was consolidate league position.

If winning the League Cup is a reasonable possibility why isn't the FA Cup likewise? So yes, let's concentrate on the League for now and see where we are in January. Who knows, it could all be very exciting/depressing - take your pick. But remember that, for all the moans, the team that Pokey put out was perfectly capable of beating that Sunderland side.

Because we could secure a spot in the semi finals of a major trophy before we kick a single ball in the FA Cup.

And we might draw Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup third round.

Little Saints riding high in one of the most competitive leagues in the world might not mean much to you but it does to me. I realise we are unlikely to stay there which is why I want to see how long we can keep it going, as this season has been great fun so far.

Little Saints riding high in one of the most competitive leagues in the world might not mean much to you but it does to me. I realise we are unlikely to stay there which is why I want to see how long we can keep it going, as this season has been great fun so far.

You see, you're making the time honoured m-board mistake of black and white thinking, that because I see cup progress as our best chance of winning something it means I don't care about our current lofty position. It's a common yet daft mistake. Being third in the league now is great, but it isn't winning anything.

So many people not understanding what a hypothetical question entails!

I'd go for a win today because I think losing in the league at home after last week will dent morale much more than losing on a windy night away at Stoke.

Cup win any day. The preference for 3 points is short sighted and realistically inconsequential. I'm sure enough people were willing to completely scrap a cup run last season when we were flying. In hindsight, wouldn't an FA or LC under the belt and an 8th-12th place finish have been sweeter than 8th and nothing?

... will dent morale much more than losing on a windy night away at Stoke.

At least you have summed up why so many seem not to be bothered about turning up next Weds. I will be there and as said before, thank Feck that RK has instilled a "win every game" mentality in the players, if not all supporters

Watching Final Score and Steve Claridge made a good point that we are playing better than Liverpool Everton and Tottenham so why should we not finish in the top six

The goal posts seem to have moved a bit here, as if a win on Wednesday would give us a Wembley Cup final. I'd take that over win today of course but even if we win the cup game we will have to get past a couple of decent aides to get to the final.

On a side note, Birmingham won the LC fairly recently. I wonder what their grandchildren are talking about tonight.

Second actually. Has anyone changed their mind as a result of us moving back into 2nd place? Just wondering :)